• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

finalflame

People spend half a grand on phones.

Nah, they think because they pay $27.80 monthly on their $150 phone bill for 24 months then get fucked on a trade-in once a new marginally better device is out they're not actually paying the $800 cost of the phone. Unfortunately console manufacturers have no way to play the same fiscal mind games.

Fuck me sideways, how the hell are they that expensive?!

And yet they're clearly trying to court the Wii audience that has become used to mobile's cheap feeling subscription model for hardware entry and free games.

It's like they're trying to fuck up as hard as possible.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What what WHAT!?! And here I was thinking that joy-cons would be those super cheap interchangeable customizable pieces that games would be able to include in their boxes for dirt cheap to provide custom controls for the particular play setup unique to each game!

What the fuck how can they possibly justify such a price, that's just INSANE! You can stick your joy-cons up your ass Nintendo!

A lot of people didn't stop to think what kind of hardware was in a pair of rechargeable wireless controllers with gyroscopes, IR sensors, NFC readers, etc.

Have few people actually bought an extra controller for the PS4 or XB1? This shit has gotten expensive. Single wireless controllers are $60 and the XB1 pad doesn't even have a gyroscope.

StereoVsn

Nah, they think because they pay $27.80 monthly on their $150 phone bill for 24 months then get fucked on a trade-in once a new marginally better device is out they're not actually paying the $800 cost of the phone. Unfortunately console manufacturers have no way to play the same fiscal mind games.

One thing that you forget. These days you need that smartphone and it's your most used device most likely. So that $500-$800 is for something that you need, use every day and most likely are willing to pay higher price for. That said, now days you can get a perfectly good smartphone for $250-400 range. The higher end is basically Samsung and Apple.

Edit:
A lot of people didn't stop to think what kind of hardware was in a pair of rechargeable wireless controllers with gyroscopes, IR sensors, NFC readers, etc.

Have few people actually bought an extra controller for the PS4 or XB1? This shit has gotten expensive. Single wireless controllers are $60 and the XB1 pad doesn't even have a gyroscope.

Nah, you can always find PS4/Xbone pad on sale for around $40. MSRP doesn't matter in this instance since there are a lot of options out there.

Mr. Robot

Damn Holy shit, i love to support Nintendo but they went insane, they better let me use all my classic controllers, wiimotes, pro controllers, GameCube controllers for games like smash and bomberman that dont need any special joycon tech, or else they can fuck off.

ViciousDS

Banned
A dock is $90!!!!!!!

Yes, Nintendo can rightfully fuck off. I won't be buying this till it's near the end of its life and prices have dropped

So let's clarify.

$300 for a Switch.

$70 for a Pro Controller.

$60 for a game (Zelda).

+ however much the online will cost down the line that only comes with a single game rental.

Uh what?

Alphahawk

Why not? They show a ton of games where you can use a single Joy-con as a controller? It's got 4 face buttons and two shoulder buttons and a analog stick

The L-Joycon and R-Joycon have different face buttons on them, with the analog stick only appearing on the L-one and the A/B/X and Y buttons only appearing on the right one. There are some games where you can mix and match but if you wanted to play Mario's Odyssey or the new Smash Brothers you' best believe you're going to need both of them.

Allforce

It's literally 5 dollars for an HDMI cable to have available on a 2nd TV to just move your dock to when necessary.

That is some bold fleecing of the lazy gamer trope.

Artanisix

that price LUL
laugh.gif

Somnid

Is the tech in the controllers that sophisticated? Wow

I don't know about some of it like the HD rumble or the IR camera piece, but they are quite literally 2 self-contained controllers, like all of the expensive parts of an Xbox 1 controller packed into a miniature wiimote so it's not unexpected it would cost in the area and both it and the PS4 controller MSRP for $60. And likewise you'd expect retailers to discount the same way over time. The dock? Who knows, they didn't discuss what it is if anything more than a passthrough but I'm not sure why most people would need another one.

Trojan

There's a huge disconnect here. $300 system was high to begin with based on the market they're going for, then you add in these high priced accessories and paid online and it just doesn't make sense to me. Nintendo's trying to play in the Sony/MS world but their product just doesn't hang with those from any perspective - library breadth, graphical fidelity, online support, etc.

They could have differentiated by sticking to the basics and keeping the price down.

AzaK

Those prices are fucking insane. It probably costs them about $10 to make the thing at the most. As I said in the other thread, it seems this conference was a way to milk every last thing for maximum profit.

Expensive accessories, console $300US, paid online? All for a company that is basically dead in the eyes of console gamers. Add in "special" version of Fifa and Skyrim and it's not a good start.

there's a lot of tech packed into a Joycon

Maybe a lot, but cheap tech. Gyro is cheap, rumble is cheap, plastic is cheap.

What's in the pro controller that cos more than sony's touchpad? those prices seem a bit crazy.
Nothing, they just want to get as much as they can from it. Nintendo are in trouble, they need maximum $$$

dabig2

Well, this thing is no longer an impulse buy. And with all the games coming out this month and in February and March coupled with the lame launch lineup announced so far, this is looking like a hard wait. Maybe holidays to get a Switch, but probably most likely some time in 2018.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nah, you can always find PS4/Xbone pad on sale for around $40. MSRP doesn't matter in this instance since there are a lot of options out there.

Yes, you can often find a sale on a first party controller after the console has been out for three years and flooded the market. That's not really the point.

Reallink

Right now I seriously think this will be the first major console or portable in 30 years I will not buy on launch day. I will at best wait for the discounted Holiday bundle or "New" redesign if it even makes it that far. This string of announcements has been an unmitigated disaster.

Briarios

The L-Joycon and R-Joycon have different face buttons on them, with the analog stick only appearing on the L-one and the A/B/X and Y buttons only appearing on the right one. There are some games where you can mix and match but if you wanted to play Mario's Odyssey or the new Smash Brothers you' best believe you're going to need both of them.

Most Smash Bros players would get the pro controller or alternative -- Mario's Odyssey isn't multiplayer, so it's irrelevant; you already get two with the system. Most the multiplayer games are being designed with a single Joy-con in mind to play on the go or in party situations. I think this is kinda being blown out of proportion.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
There's a huge disconnect here. $300 system was high to begin with based on the market they're going for, then you add in these high priced accessories and paid online and it just doesn't make sense to me. Nintendo's trying to play in the Sony/MS world but their product just doesn't hang with those from any perspective - library breadth, graphical fidelity, online support, etc

They're just incredibly out of touch. Insular, Kyota corporation that's complete lost touch with the market.

Sony dominates as they gave their North American and European branches a lot of power and input and adapted as the gaming market shifted. Nintendo never did, sadly. People retire/die and the next old ass, out of touch person in line has taken over and changed nothing.

Xyber

Maybe it's just me, but 2 Joy-Con for $79 doesn't seem that bad --- including the two that come with the system, you'd be able to play 4 player ...

Yeah, sure. You can play 4 players in relatively simple games. But one joycon is not comparable to a standard pro controller when it comes to being able to play anything.

There's only so much you can do on a SNES controller with gyro.

Price is ridiculous.

I can sort of understand the price on the pair of Joy-Con but wtf at the Pro controller being more expensive than Sony and Microsoft counterparts?

Caelus

I guess the prices make sense considering the amount of stuff crammed into the joy-cons, which by themselves are amazing pieces of tech... I just wonder if it was worth it in the end.

KarmaCow

So all of those great ideas for different Joycons ain't happening

That's the silver lining in all this. It will discourage gimmicky shit that requires bespoke addons. There's already a lot of potential in the joycons themselves. They didn't even show off the motion sensor in a game.

Top Bottom