• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder what we got coming today/tomorrow

hoping for a surprise Pocket Rumble release

So far we know:
New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
Othello

But that's it so far. Is Frontier Days supposed to be any good?

I think this week ends up being a bit wonky for new releases. You have the games that Infectum listed, but then next Tuesday we get Snake Pass and Has Been Heroes. I know I'm really looking forward to Snake Pass!

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/03/behold_the_majesty_of_the_gamecube-styled_nintendo_switch_joy-con

Has anyone seen this? I said goddamn.

original.jpg

Nintendo needs to release a Nintendo Direct with more games soon if they want to keep the sales hot

I would like to see at least 5 more must buys for this console

any good software rumors?

It'd be nice to see some new Directs with more game announcements, but I see no signs that they "need" to do so soon - sales still seem to be red hot based on how fast the available consoles are selling and the lines we are seeing of people trying to get a console. (granted, supply may still be too low, but we'll know better when we get the next round of sales numbers)

molnizzle

I find Shovel Knight so much easier via analog sticks. It's so uncomfortable to jump and attack down with a d-pad, even on the 3DS d-pad. Miles easier via analog in my opinion.

This is what I've been forced to do, but it just feels... wrong, as someone who grew up during the 8/16-bit era. 2D platformers need a d-pad.

Peltz

Nintendo land is one of my favorite games ever, but I had more fun with 12S as its easy to get my casual family and friends playing, I have friends that didn't own a console since the NES and they want to get a Switch.
My family loved Wii Sports but just groaned at 12Switch. They thought it was dumb :-/

Nobody I've showed it to likes it.

So if I were to invest in a switch just for Zelda (until a must buy comes around), is the Pro controller a must? I'm trying to keep the costs to a minimum and it seems pretty pricey.

Interfectum

So if I were to invest in a switch just for Zelda (until a must buy comes around), is the Pro controller a must? I'm trying to keep the costs to a minimum and it seems pretty pricey.

I've put 50 hours into Zelda, have had a blast and don't own a Pro controller. So it's not a must for me.

Not a must but it's well worth it. Depends on how comfortable you are with the Joycons/grip.

Personally I have no intention of using the Grip again.

Not a must, but a significant upgrade from the Joycon grip. I love the fucking thing, but if money's tight then the joycons will definitely suffice.

I don't think so. I have a pro controller, but I really like the joycon grip. The pro is really good too though.

Dark-VIII

is anybody getting frame skip every couple of seconds?
it's mostly visible when playing Shovel Knight and only happens in docked mode

it happens randomly and sometime never happens at all

The eShop is very annoying. Nintendo's website claims that Neo Turf Masters is Now Available on the NA eShop, but it isn't showing up for me and there's no option to buy on the site.

The eShop is very annoying. Nintendo's website claims that Neo Turf Masters is Now Available on the NA eShop, but it isn't showing up for me and there's no option to buy on the site.

I think they update the site early. They usually "release" games in NA at around noon EST.

Nintendo needs to release a Nintendo Direct with more games soon if they want to keep the sales hot

I would like to see at least 5 more must buys for this console

any good software rumors?

My list is optimistic

Mk8, Puyopuyo, Smash are fore sure in the future

hoping for Monster Hunter announcement

interested in Pokemon switch

really want octopath traveller news

DQ11

Hoping for Metroid tease. Mario this fall...

jeebus dude switch can stack up some hits this year

didint even mention xenoblade 2 and im sure mountains more software im not thinking of

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Wooooiiiieeee.

What's that company that takes your electronics/video game consoles and accessories and paints or skins them for you? It's called "color" something. I've got a feeling that's about to be the business.

Also, the Switch makes me want to get a 3D printer to experiment with my own accessories. I didn't anticipate that feeling coming from the Switch. Hidden costs, amirite?

https://youtu.be/gsus63Wb1FY

Nintendo land is one of my favorite games ever, but I had more fun with 12S as its easy to get my casual family and friends playing, I have friends that didn't own a console since the NES and they want to get a Switch.

Is there a game like Mario Chase on 1-2-Switch? If not, Nintendo Land will continue to reign supreme among my casual friends.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Varies by person of course. I played with the joycons/grip for 3 days until I got my Pro. The joycons/grip are serviceable for me are the most I can say for them. So the pro controller isn't a must, but it's a hell of a lot nicer. The joycons/grip are just cramped for me, the sticks too small (buttons as well), button layout is a little awkward etc. They're fine for short portable sessions, but not for playing Zelda for hours on the TV for me.

Others are totally fine with them so I'd say if you get one just try them for a while and only get a Pro controller if they're bothering you.

When I get the Switch, I myself will buy the Pro controller. Not because I've tried it and liked it, but because the thought of detaching-and-attaching the Joycons from handheld mode and back worries me. I don't want to remove them unless absolutely necessary (e.g., multiplayer games).

Wooooiiiieeee.

What's that company that takes your electronics/video game consoles and accessories and paints or skins them for you? It's called "color" something. I've got a feeling that's about to be the business.

Also, the Switch makes me want to get a 3D printer to experiment with my own accessories. I didn't anticipate that feeling coming from the Switch. Hidden costs, amirite?

https://youtu.be/gsus63Wb1FY

ColorWare. They do an amazing job, but their service is always so damn expensive. I know someone who had their PS4 done, and I think it was almost $300. Way too much for me to justify.

Planning on getting one... finally over the upcoming weeks...well...hopefully. A few questions:

-What happens during a power outage while in the dock? Does it automatically go into handheld mode?
This is the only question I have a quick answer to: as I recall the answer is yes, it immediately went into handheld mode while in the dock for me. I lost power for a minute or two during a recent snow storm.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
ColorWare. They do an amazing job, but their service is always so damn expensive. I know someone who had their PS4 done, and I think it was almost $300. Way too much for me to justify. They charge over $100 to do an Xbox controller. LOL

Yikes. I've seen some of their stuff before and it's sweet. Definitely pricy though. Hopefully the Joycon prices end up being easier to swallow.
http://www.colorware.com/

VPhys

I'm around 60 hours and am my taking my time and soaking up all the richness of Hyrule, so I would not be surprised if I go 150 hours or more before beating Ganon.

Same here. This game is just so good it makes me not want to finish it. I realized after beating the 3rd divine beast I need to slow my roll. I haven't even got a horse yet! Now I'm going back into the game and exploring new areas. This has become my favorite game since TOoT.

I'm not hardcore gamer like I was once before. Probably the only game I've completed in the last decade was the last of us. That was a masterpiece. BotW is on that level.

bumpkin

Anyone else kind of hoping Nintendo takes a hint from that person who dreamt up the thematically colored Joy-Con sets? I'd love a pair of Splatoon themed ones when the game comes out...

th

I feel like Joy-Cons are going to end up like Wii Remotes where I have way more than any sane person needs. I've got two white ones, two black ones, a pink one (my wife's), all of the Mario character themed ones, and the Skyward Sword gold one. I almost never need more than one to use, two at most.

robot

My Joycon are already starting to show signs of wear/degradation. The sticks make a "springy" sound that they didn't before, I think they feel a bit looser, etc. In addition to the connection issues, of course. Horrible quality in these things. I've "only" used them for ~75 hours of Zelda.

While my sticks and buttons are working ok, i did notice some major wear around the face buttons and +/- already. Looks more worn than controllers I've owned for 20+ years. Kinda sucks considering I have less than 80 hours of playtime on them.

Peltz

No. Pro Controller is luxurious as hell, but the grip is very serviceable and gets the job done. It's comfortable, just not Pro Controller-comfortable. Plus, split Joycons (one in each hand) is also absurdly comfy to use. Pro Controller is only a must for when you'll eventually want a proper D-Pad, but Zelda doesn't need it.

I feel like Joy-Cons are going to end up like Wii Remotes where I have way more than any sane person needs. I've got two white ones, two black ones, a pink one (my wife's), all of the Mario character themed ones, and the Skyward Sword gold one. I almost never need more than one to use, two at most.
That's like me with every Nintendo system since they came out with all those cool colors for the N64 controllers. They're fun to collect.

I was kind of disappointed they never went that route with the Wii U Pro Controller.

me0wish

Just for 1-2-Switch? You're a bad friend if you encourage them.

Where I live, people are very interactive with each other, for some, it's totally worth the price, just like how I have friends that got a Wii for Wii sports.

My family loved Wii Sports but just groaned at 12Switch. They thought it was dumb :-/

Nobody I've showed it to likes it.

I've seen lots of similar comments, I have 4 main groups of friends, two of them consist mainly of "hardcore gamers" and I was sure they were ready to tear the game apart (and they were) just like they did to Wii sports, and to my surprise, they ended up loving it and pushed some to want a Switch so they can play 12S with their friends/family.

Since I've gotten the Switch, my weekend has been nothing other than 12S, seeing those who are dear to me being happy is priceless, but I understand that it's not for everyone. I still hope that Nintendo will eventually release a sequel to Wii sports and Nintendo land.

Every time I see a new color Joycon mockup, I hope for a second it's real. I hope we end up with a ton of colors and designs, and of course a price drop on Joycons.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
i do want a cheap play stand that elevates the switch to allow for the charger

Hori one looks good

Maybe wait and see if you play long enough sessions in tabletop to need to charge while playing? Unless you know you'll have regular 3+ hour periods of using it in table top without being able to stop and charge anyway.

antibolo

Banned
haha nice find. looked at it and chuckled. i mean yeah, this is the right path, but with Valve's experience with controllers it would be great for them to make a portable device a la switch style. Intel HD graphics too yikes. If Intel made a portable Iris Pro handheld device that'd be rad.

That's just the reality of x86. It's just not great for small electronics like this. And no, Valve can not just magically make those hardware limitations go away, no matter how awesome you think that company is.

Maybe wait and see if you play long enough sessions in tabletop to need to charge while playing? Unless you know you'll have regular 3+ hour periods of using it in table top without being able to stop and charge anyway.

yeah true

i just like the comfort of not worrying avout the battery level

oti

Banned
Is there a way to copy Screenshots from the device to the PC directly? Do I need to use an SD card for that purpose?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to copy Screenshots from the device to the PC directly? Do I need to use an SD card for that purpose?

Need SD card. Even then screenshots will just starts saving there after you put the card in and take more shots. Can't move screen shots, games etc. on the system storage over to the SD cart currently. Things just auto install/save on SD once you add a card.

Other option is to make a twitter to post the shots to and then save. Facebook too, but easier to make a throwaway twitter if you don't want to share photos on you're real account. Only option for shots you currently have on system storage.

...oh. Reading here, I suddenly realized that I've had my Switch for some twenty days and haven't tried out the grip yet. Being able to hold the two controller halves freehand-style has been among the most comfortable control setups I've ever used. I sort of had a taste of this with the Wii, though the cord added some awkwardness and the remote wasn't as ergonomical.

So comfort aside, is there any particular reason I might want to try out the grip?

...or those strap things. Haven't touched those either.

Peltz

Where I live, people are very interactive with each other, for some, it's totally worth the price, just like how I have friends that got a Wii for Wii sports.

I've seen lots of similar comments, I have 4 main groups of friends, two of them consist mainly of "hardcore gamers" and I was sure they were ready to tear the game apart (and they were) just like they did to Wii sports, and to my surprise, they ended up loving it and pushed some to want a Switch so they can play 12S with their friends/family.

Since I've gotten the Switch, my weekend has been nothing other than 12S, seeing those who are dear to me being happy is priceless, but I understand that it's not for everyone. I still hope that Nintendo will eventually release a sequel to Wii sports and Nintendo land.

I'm honestly surprised my family didn't like it. I'm not as down on it as they are. They're certainly not gamers of any kind and I thought it would be right up their alley though.

oti

Banned
Need SD card. Even then screenshots will just starts saving there after you put the card in and take more shots. Can't move screen shots, games etc. on the system storage over to the SD cart currently. Things just auto install/save on SD once you add a card.

Other option is to make a twitter to post the shots to and then save. Facebook too, but easier to make a throwaway twitter if you don't want to share photos on you're real account. Only option for shots you currently have on system storage.

Thanks but ugh. What a bummer. Love taking screenshots of Zelda and I'm close to 1000 now. Wish I could just move them to PC.

me0wish

I'm honestly surprised my family didn't like it. I'm not as down on it as they are. They're certainly not gamers of any kind and I thought it would be right up their alley though.

I'm curious, did they also hate Zen and Joycon rotation? these were the most popular among my group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom