• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirap

Is anyone else considering about the reports of cracks appearing near the power button? It appears to be a mix of cheap plastic and screws being tightened to much.
Here's a thread on Reddit that's growing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/62boet/check_the_back_of_your_switch_cracks_forming_near/?sort=new&limit=500

No cracks or hairline fractures yet, but I'm seeing 3-4 users with Switches from the same production line reporting that problem (XAJ7)

Fucking hell, I really hope mine doesn't start to chip. It does creak like crazy so I'm hoping my screws aren't too tight.

Mine still looks flawless. Except for a scratch or two in the back visible under at an angle under a light. Orzly protector is holding up well too.

How's people Joy-Cons holding up in terms of wear? Mine's left grey one is starting to get shiny around the buttons. Looking at some pics around here and most of them still looks pristine.

Mine has a bit of shine around the corners where it would rest against my palm. Not something I'm too surprised by...oil and sweat is unavoidable in a country as humid as this. I plan on sanding everything down anyway for a paint job, just have to decide on a color.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thinking about picking up bomberman to compliment Zelda as a more pick up and play game. What are people's thoughts on it?

I really, really like it. I was hesitant about it because of early impressions, but kept my preorder and am not disappointed. My kids and I have had hours of fun with multiplayer.

Is anyone else considering about the reports of cracks appearing near the power button? It appears to be a mix of cheap plastic and screws being tightened to much.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/62boet/check_the_back_of_your_switch_cracks_forming_near/?sort=new&limit=500

Mine still looks flawless. Except for a scratch or two in the back visible under at an angle under a light. Orzly protector is holding up well too.

How's people Joy-Cons holding up in terms of wear? Mine's left grey one is starting to get shiny around the buttons. Looking at some pics around here and most of them still looks pristine.

Peltz

My joycons are pristine. Everything about device is perfect except a very slight/small scuff near the logo on the backside of the device. Not sure how that happened considering I treat it very gently.

Just took a look at my Switch - still looking good. Not using a screen protector and there are still no visible scratches. I dock/undock about twice a day during the week for work.

If I had to nitpick, I would say my left Joycon stick is getting a little "loose", for lack of a better term.

Charadis

Nothing on mine so far, launch Neon unit serial XAW1. It does have that gap in seam by volume buttons tho. Using mostly in handheld mode, docked maybe 2 or 3 times ever

jonno394

Either my switch battery is fucked or the OS and battery reports are drastically out, but I just played Zelda for 40 minutes and my battery used 60+% (airplane mode, 50% brightness and volume)

harz-marz

Daft question... Do the joycons only charge when docked? I plan on taking the Switch away on holidays later in the week and am just bringing the standard USB C cable. Will this be enough?

jokkir

Daft question... Do the joycons only charge when docked? I plan on taking the Switch away on holidays later in the week and am just bringing the standard USB C cable. Will this be enough?

They charge when attached to the tablet. Plugged, or unplugged.

JaseMath

Anyone in the Denver-area looking for a Switch? My co-worker is selling one at retail price. PM me if interested—not sure how long it'll be up for grabs.

badb0y

Got my Switch yesterday :) . Having a lot of fun but the system doesn't have Bluetooth audio? Pretty big oversight, I don't even own wired headsets anymore :( .

//ARCANUM

From what I've seen with multiple sets of joycons, I think they just naturally loosen up a bit over time. I have sets that started firm as hell out of the box and a couple weeks later now have give to them. I think it's just a matter of them being plastic. :/

ParityBit

So I got one finally.

Any sold avdice with adding a amFilm? I still have not opened the box for the switch because I want the first thing to do is put the glass on. So there is no dust to worry about, etc.

So I got one finally.

Any sold avdice with adding a amFilm? I still have not opened the box for the switch because I want the first thing to do is put the glass on. So there is no dust to worry about, etc.

Steamy bathroom and hinge method is what I did and it worked out well.

DESTROYA

Asked this a while back, only thing bugging me is when lying down in bed and playing while charging the power cable is stabbing me in the chest and gets pretty annoying when I want to just relax, can anyone recommend a good 90 degree angle adapter or something that might work?

Orbis

WiFi giving me absolute grief, I literally cannot connect to my router anymore. It's either Ethernet or tethering to my phone now. Not sure if the firmware update made this problem worse but it was never this bad.

My router just shows as zero bars signal, if I reboot it's the same issue. Trying to connect just fails instantly. Deleting the connection then reconnecting just hangs indefinitely.

Currently it's stuck searching for networks with no option to cancel, maybe because I cancelled the above.

Edit: Right I've fixed it (for now). I did a hard reboot by pressing and holding the power and then readded and connected.

bumpkin

Couple questions from a Nintendo Switch noob.
What's up with the eShop, Where are the Nes/SNES/N64 games? More importantly will the Switch get a YouTube app? Just seems like an odd app to omit from a portable gaming device.

Picked up Snipperclips so far, Having lots of fun. Anything else available in the same type of gameplay?

Can't wait to get Zelda and soonish Mario Kart 8.
I suspect that we won't get VC until the full-fledged (paid) online service kicks off given that they are doing that online-enabled VC game-of-the-month thing. I would love to be wrong though.

Man, my Amfilm screen protector has some pretty clear scratches in the top right corner. Just dont understand how that happened. It couldnt be the dock, plastic isnt scratching glass... weird.

ParityBit

Ugh, so I went though both pieces of glass. First was pretty bad. The second has 2 spots, one in the middle of the screen. Really small, but how come I can never do these damn things? I did exactly what the directions said (hinge method) including the hot water.

I wonder if I should order another set.

Thinking about picking up bomberman to compliment Zelda as a more pick up and play game. What are people's thoughts on it?

I really enjoy Bomberman R, it's just classic Hudson style gameplay in line with the 16-bit Turbografx-16 and SNES BMan games. Multiplayer is as fun as ever and the single player campaign is definitely the perfect way to chill out in between long sessions of Zelda. Only negative is the price, at $50 it's a bit steep but I'm really happy with it, especially as someone who has been playing Bomberman games since the TG-16/PC Engine it's great to see a proper successor in the series after all these years. I'm hoping the game does well enough that Konami decides to maybe resurrect some other Hudson Soft 2D properties like Bonk, Adventure Island, Star Soldier or maybe some of their own like Gradius and Contra which would be fantastic.

DESTROYA

Ugh, so I went though both pieces of glass. First was pretty bad. The second has 2 spots, one in the middle of the screen. Really small, but how come I can never do these damn things? I did exactly what the directions said (hinge method) including the hot water.

I wonder if I should order another set.

I had a spot too but fixed by lifting a portion of the screen as close to the spot and re-seating it.

psychotron

I posted the other day that my joycons felt very loose in the controller shell, so I decided to put a small piece of electrical tape on the bottom portion of the part that slides in, and it totally fixed the issue. It fit extremely solid with no movement. Then I went out and bought the charge grip. It was solid without any tape, so I guess there's some manufacturing variation on these.

You guys think they'll show a new Monster Hunter thks E3? A Switch entery would be cool.

So I got one finally.

I didn't know about the steamy bathroom thing so I didn't do it. ( I feel uneasy exposing an electronic device to a damp atmosphere like that anyway).

There was a video that illustrated how to just do it normally. Sorry I'm on mobile and don't recall the link. But basically followed the inlcuded instructions and came out looking great.

ParityBit

I had a spot too but fixed by lifting a portion of the screen as close to the spot and re-seating it.

I wish I could. It is in the middle left area. I wish I knew what happened. It is only 10 bucks but still a pain in the ass. I guess it is better than nothing for now so it does not get scratched.

I wish I could. It is in the middle left area. I wish I knew what happened. It is only 10 bucks but still a pain in the ass. I guess it is better than nothing for now so it does not get scratched.

The amFilm protector comes with 2 screens though. You can always use the new screen if redoing the first one doesn't work out.

VPhys

Reggie Fils-Aime: The 3DS is a fantastic machine with more than 1,000 games. Its key differentiator is the 3D immersive experience without need for glasses.

But as good as that machine is, you can't play a game like ”Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" on it. The power required — not only the computing power, but the graphics required for that game are just not available on a Nintendo 3DS. That makes it a different type of experience. That is how I would separate out those two systems. Certainly we see consumers wanting and needing both of the platforms.

What's laughable about that is the 3DS is all but discontinued. That console hasn't been on retail shelves for 6 months!

Salaadin

Anyone own a 3rd party stand? I'm looking at the Hori one because it's collapsible and adjustable but was curious if anyone had any other suggestions.

Pocks

Finally snagged one this morning at 6am, only a couple people in front of me when I arrived at 5am. I get back home and immediately experience the left JoyCon issues. The dock is bent slightly inward as well, failing the penny test.

I took it back just now, and they ended up having two left, so I opted for an exchange. I get back home and this one is having issues too. :(

I'm so disappointed with Nintendo with this whole experience. Feeling totally deflated.

ParityBit

Finally snagged one this morning at 6am, only a couple people in front of me when I arrived at 5am. I get back home and immediately experience the left JoyCon issues. The dock is bent slightly inward as well, failing the penny test.

I took it back just now, and they ended up having two left, so I opted for an exchange. I get back home and this one is having issues too. :(

I'm so disappointed with Nintendo with this whole experience. Feeling totally deflated.

How do you know if you have a JoyCon issues? And what is the penny test?

Unicorn

How do you know if you have a JoyCon issues? And what is the penny test?

movement stops working or you continue moving in a direction you are no longer holding is pretty easy to feel/see for joycon issue. I think the penny test is setting a penny in the dock and if it can be held up the dock is bent.

I have the joycon issue, but don't want to send in my controller and be out from playing zelda. What's the process look like? I may just do it this week...

jts

...hate me...

Contact CS for both of those issues, or just for the Joy-con and do the book trick to straighten the dock. Works pretty well in my experience.

Clearly Nintendo hasn't upped the QC just yet and it sucks, of course, but they are fixable/swappable accessory issues. And once they're done they're done.

I really, really like it. I was hesitant about it because of early impressions, but kept my preorder and am not disappointed. My kids and I have had hours of fun with multiplayer.

I really enjoy Bomberman R, it's just classic Hudson style gameplay in line with the 16-bit Turbografx-16 and SNES BMan games. Multiplayer is as fun as ever and the single player campaign is definitely the perfect way to chill out in between long sessions of Zelda. Only negative is the price, at $50 it's a bit steep but I'm really happy with it, especially as someone who has been playing Bomberman games since the TG-16/PC Engine it's great to see a proper successor in the series after all these years. I'm hoping the game does well enough that Konami decides to maybe resurrect some other Hudson Soft 2D properties like Bonk, Adventure Island, Star Soldier or maybe some of their own like Gradius and Contra which would be fantastic.

Sold! I do like the oldskool bomberman gameplay so it sounds like I will enjoy it. Price is a bit high but I hear there will be free content updates so there's that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom