• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

iconmaster

Banned
Are a lot of Switch games built with HD rumble in mind (I don't own a Switch)? If so isn't that gonna put devs in a tight spot when it comes to game mechanics that depend on HD rumble being present?

The only game I can think of where you need to feel rumble to complete a challenge is Mario Party, and that game flat isn't going to work on this device anyway.

(Come to think of that, how is Nintendo going to handle Mario Party?)

Edit: Oh, that's not ideal.

EVQsaO9.png

Last edited:

Codes 208

My only gripe is that theyre releasing it alongside zelda and none of the colors are clear purple to represent the GBC

Last edited:

Codes 208

The only game I can think of where you need to feel rumble to complete a challenge is Mario Party, and that game flat isn't going to work on this device anyway.

Make it control-based ala MP 1-4?

540p portable gaming HYPE!!

So DS is officially dead?

I agree that this version is designed for Pokemon, as well as for parents who don't want to spend 400 on a switch and replacement joycons for their kids.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally not interested in this but I think its good for people who only use potable mode so they can play games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing on it.

SALMORE

I'll wait for more colors , but an definitely getting one ... even though it looks like one of those retro handheld from Aliexpress

Fake

I personally not interested in this but I think its good for people who only use potable mode so they can play games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing on it.
Me for example, but I still looking if they gonna really release the Switch PRO. Its a shame so little color at launch.

Breakage

I think the Lite will make devs think twice about implementing features that require rumble. I suppose it's just another thing to think about.
I also noticed they dropped the kickstand.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I don't understand the obsession with putting that stupid looking bezel. I think generally consumers have been very clear in the past few years that less bezel is better. Missed opportunity. I'm also not crazy about the colors. An all white model would've been great.

I don't understand the obsession with needing thinner bezels on everything. It's a game console for which kids are a large part of the audience. Thick bezels might actually help by allowing more room for fingers and reducing the chance of breaking the display with an edge impact. And really, you're buying this for the games, not because Nintendo could have theoretically squeaked in another 0.2 inches of display area.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Off topic. But the fact that Star Wars is ranked #9 is an embarrassment and a testament to Disney's severe mismanagement of the brand.

We don't even know if that list is in order of popularity... and this is about licensed goods, not the movies. The quality of the movies isn't necessarily going to reflect whether or not Junior wants a Rey or Finn action figure.

prag16

Banned

Edit: Oh, that's not ideal.

EVQsaO9.png
Yeah that is going to muddy the waters for a lot of people. Not ideal at all.

Danjin44

no switch Pro after this, i doesn't make any sense .
I don't know, both 3DS and DS got some version and even PS4/X1 got both slim version and Pro version, I would say it's possible. With that being said I don't think it going to be that much upgrade because at end of the day all the games still needs to run on original Switch and now Switch Lite.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Yeah that is going to muddy the waters for a lot of people. Not ideal at all.
I dont recall SMP being relevant for very long after its release. This hardly affects the actual system sellers like zelda, mario kart, smash bros and pokemon.

prag16

Banned
I dont recall SMP being relevant for very long after its release. This hardly affects the actual system sellers like zelda, mario kart, smash bros and pokemon.
Sure, I don't disagree. But separately local multi used to be a major focus of Smash and Kart. Guess not with the Switch Lite.

Fake

I don't know, both 3DS and DS got some version and even PS4/X1 got both slim version and Pro version, I would say it's possible. With that being said I don't think it going to be that much upgrade because at end of the day all the games still needs to run on original Switch and now Switch Lite.
DS get DSXL, 3DS get new 3DS, PS4 get PRO, Xbox get X, but don't make sense Nintendo Switch get a PRO version...

prag16

Banned
no switch Pro after this, i doesn't make any sense .
Not sure why people assume this. 3DS had the launch model, the enhanced plus version, and the downgraded 2D version. A year after the Lite launches, I cold easily see them selling a Switch Plus for $300, dropping the Lite to $150, and setting the og Switch price somewhere in between (unless they get rid of it and just replace it with the "plus"; both scenarios are plausible imo).

Last edited:
Because? ... unless you're ignoring the Wall Street Jornal report and just guessing by your instinct.

(just a guess) it's too confusing for kids and parents , Nintendo will launch something in 2021 after Sony and MS .

Fake

(just a guess) it's too confusing for kids and parents , Nintendo will launch something in 2021 after Sony and MS .
They don't sell 'PRO' version for kids mind you. Hardcore consumers usally search for hardware specs/all information before buy something, not necessary console but high end TVs as well, and thats is the Nintendo target.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I would say we wont see any news about Pro version anytime soon since they just announced Lite version. We could see they announce it when Sony officially announce their PS5.

They don't sell 'PRO' version for kids mind you. Hardcore consumers usally search for hardware specs/all information before buy something, not necessary console but TVs as well, and thats is the Nintendo target.
Hardcore players usually don't buy Nintendo's for their "pro" needs unless they like Nintendo exclusives and i dont think a "pro" will wait for the pro version to play

Fake

What specifically in the WSJ report do you take to imply a Switch Pro? I don't have the article, so the exact language would help.
Its so easy use to google, but there you go.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why people assume this. 3DS had the launch model, the enhanced plus version, and the downgraded 2D version. A year after the Lite launches, I cold easily see them selling a Switch Plus for $300, dropping the Lite to $150, and setting the og Switch price somewhere in between (unless they get rid of it and just replace it with the "plus"; both scenarios are plausible imo).

That's my guess as well.

Though I think people probably have too high of expectations for the pro model. Nintendo isn't going to do powerful hardware on par with current gen (PS5 and next Xbox in the case of some pro model again).

They just didn't have luck with that and saw there sales drop for every console after the NES until the Wii did something different and was a huge success. They're mostly interested in 1) selling a lot of hardware, and 2) selling a lot of their games at crazy high attach rates. Their games and art styles don't need top of the line hardware to look good enough for most of their base since they aren't chasing realism.

Add in that their base is mostly 1) kids/families, 2) handheld gamers (their portables have always outsold their consoles, even the DS over the Wii), 3) core gamers buying it as a complementary platform for something different. Those are all pretty price conscious markets that aren't going to pay $400-500 plus in very big numbers, and Nintendo won't sell hardware at a loss. People that want a powerful Nintendo console just need to give up and accept this isn't the company for them. Any pro model will just be a small-ish boost that gets more games at 1080p docked and more stable framerates in some games.

Last edited by a moderator:

iconmaster

Banned
Its so easy use to google, but there you go.

By "don't have the article" I meant "don't have a subscription to read the article." People act as if WSJ has predicted a Pro but from what I've seen of the language they actually used it's not so clear.

Codes 208

Sure, I don't disagree. But separately local multi used to be a major focus of Smash and Kart. Guess not with the Switch Lite.
Well as a handheld only so splitscreen local would be difficult to do in general. But it does support local wireless ala the 3ds as an alternative for games like mario kart

Last edited:

Fake

By "don't have the article" I meant "don't have a subscription to read the article." People act as if WSJ has predicted a Pro but from what I've seen of the language they actually used it's not so clear.
Could have made that clear from the start. Not just WSJ, but other sites report as well 2 SDK on the way. Not just an entire revision in hardware, but screen/battery as well.
As you can see, one of those SDK reported are true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Even the blurb you can see when you click that link says: "One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won’t be as powerful as Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have access to a prototype of the machine...."

I can't find the full article either, but I recall their not being much more than that in it. Just rumor from parts suppliers and devs that there would be a mini and some sort of slightly more powerful version coming out.

iconmaster

Banned
Even the blurb you can see when you click that link says: "One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won’t be as powerful as Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have access to a prototype of the machine...."

Exactly. "Enhanced features" is all we ever got. The caution about comparisons to other consoles got everyone assuming some kind of spec boost must be in view, but it never actually says that.

other sites report as well 2 SDK on the way. Not just an entire revision in hardware, but screen/battery as well.
As you can see, one of those SDK reported are true.

I'm gonna call BS on this unless you can find a source. The Switch SDK has leaked before and revealed upcoming features, but nothing about new screens or batteries.

Last edited:

Fake

I'm gonna call BS on this unless you can find a source. The Switch SDK has leaked before and revealed upcoming features, but nothing about new screens or batteries.
Lmao. Something tells me that no matter how much I do the job of looking for something for you, you still will ignore.
Just be a little polite if you are lazy and want others to find something for you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. "Enhanced features" is all we ever got. The caution about comparisons to other consoles got everyone assuming some kind of spec boost must be in view, but it never actually says that.

Meh, I think it's pretty clear that it implies there will be some modest power boost, just nothing major to put it on par with PS4 Pro/X1X, much less next gen.

If a pro model comes out it will 100% have some power boost. There's absolutely no reason to do a revision otherwise. The other type of hardware refreshes we see that don't add any power are cost cutting slim models, and that's pretty much what the Lite is.

If they do another refresh, it will be a Pro model with a dock that holds 1080p docked/720p handheld in more games, better frame rates in some games etc. That's the only thing that would make sense as it doesn't divide the user base (no exclusive games), fits with the other consoles mid gen refresh patterns, and lets them keep the price at $300.

They'll either do that or their just won't be a Pro model and they'll stick with the current one and the Lite IMO. Or maybe a cheaper, TV only box with no screen and the same power level I suppose (I think that's less likely than Pro version personally since their data--been posted here a few times in different threads--show a majority use it handheld at least some of the time).

HoodWinked

I have a feeling docking may still work but they dont want to advertise it as a feature because it would require so many separate accessories to be bought which makes things confusing. Need to buy a dock and separate controller.

Docking output is through usb-c and the port is still the same on the lite. If docking doesnt work if this gets hacked I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a software lock to re enable docking.

iconmaster

Banned
Lmao. Something tells me that no matter how much I do the job of looking for something for you, you still will ignore.
Just be a little polite if you are lazy and want others to find something for you.

You made an assertion, it's on you to back it up. I googled but turned up nada.

Politely, I think you're indulging in wishful thinking based on a few thirdhand rumors.

If you know something I don't, I genuinely want to learn about it. But you have to meet me halfway.

Last edited:

Fake

You made an assertion, it's on you to back it up. I googled but turned up nada.

Politely, I think you're indulging in wishful thinking based on a few thirdhand rumors.
Rumors/reports about Nintendo Switch Mini... who will ever believe in that? And I already posted a WSJ article... just search in this forum and you gonna find someone who already quoted the article.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
ya that is not what i want... im sure there is a fine market for it. But im not running out to buy that thing. that is for sure.

iconmaster

Banned
just search in this forum and you gonna find someone who already quoted the article.

Yes. I'm sorry to hammer on you but this is the key of the whole thing. We have a phrase from the WSJ: "enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers." There is, as far as I've seen, literally nothing else to suggest the existence of a Switch Pro or anything like that.

If you have better information than the rest of us, we'd all benefit from hearing it. Otherwise, a fun exercise might be to imagine all the kinds of enhanced features Nintendo could come up with that would have nothing to do with memory or clock speed.

The apparent demand for a Switch Pro is funny to me since people downplay graphics and performance when discussing Switch ports.

There's also the fact that people like to complain about companies copying each other...
AqaM9sd.png

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
+ solidly-attached controllers
+ improved battery/less heat
+ higher PPI
+ $200

- tv out chopped, given its was done by the same IC doing usb 3.0...

You could've done better, nintendo.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

I have a feeling docking may still work but they dont want to advertise it as a feature because it would require so many separate accessories to be bought which makes things confusing. Need to buy a dock and separate controller.

Docking output is through usb-c and the port is still the same on the lite. If docking doesnt work if this gets hacked I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a software lock to re enable docking.
Docking is not going to be some secret surprise, why is there always one that insists that down is up. The truth is though that these will sell very well if think especially the Pokemon edition. This is the new DS only without Etrian Odyssey. Alot of people swore that they never docked their Switch so if there are others like them it will go well. Such an odd way to announce though

Top Bottom