• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

Fake

If Nintendo adopt the DualShock 4 color phase could be a great hit. Even better if Nintendo use the same job as Microsoft with Xbox Controler site.

Price doesn't bother me, being portable only seems strange but I get it. I am one of those strange people that play only in handheld anyways but I am not transitioning over.

If they make a Metroid one I will throw so much money at Nintendo.

octo

Neo Member
Gaf hates it so you know it will do well. I can't say I didn't expect a portable-only version, but I am a bit surprised they didn't make it smaller. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the 2ds xl in terms of size/portability.

Kamina

Golden Boy
You already died back in 2007.
URHJ73F.gif

zenspider

A lot of "Pro-begging" in here.

I think it's making less and less sense to fork the base now that Lite is official: a cheaper, 'less than' option.

To my mind,Switch 2 with backward and a level of forward compatibility in late 2021-early 2022 makes more sense at this point - possibly looking like what we'd call a 'Pro', but marketed a clear follow-up, not a half-step.

Last edited:

Peterc

A lot of "Pro-begging" in here.

I think it's making less and less sense to fork the base now that Lite is official: a cheaper, 'less than' option.

Switch 2 with backward and a level of forward conpatibility in late 2021-early 2022 makes more sense at this point.

On resetera they say early 2020 for switch pro and that it is already in production

prag16

Banned
I think it's an extremely dumb decision to make it nor TV play compatible through a connection cable or something.

how hard would that have been to accomplish?
Not hard at all. I'm cool with the smaller screen, cheaper build quality, and non-detachable controllers. But removing the TV-out ability completely keeps my interest squarely at zero.

Saruhashi

Banned
But the hardware would cost basically nothing without a screen and battery.

OK new idea for the cheapskates.

Nintendo Switch Nothing.

It doesn't even come in a box. No hardware. No games. Completely free.

Just think of what the next Zelda game will be.
Congratulations you are playing the new Legend of Zelda - Soul of Imagination on the Nintendo Switch Nothing.

You can buy optional pencil and paper accessories to "switch" the game from your brain onto paper. :)

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
The best way to predict a Nintendo cost shrink version is to imagine the most underwhelming, bare bones solution and then whack off a few features.

So for the very cheap price of ONE HUNDRED US DOLLARS you get lose

- Detachable joycons
- IR camera
- Rumble
- Kickstand
- Tabletop mode
- Portable two player mode
- Dock
- TV connectivity
- 1080P mode
- Screen size

Sign me up!

I do think Nintendo did a very good job in clearly positioning the Mini in the video, so that everybody goes in with the right expectations and understands the compromises. It helps make the OG Switch seem like a great deal and allow them to keep that price unchanged for the third year since launch, which is pretty unheard of. And this SKU is for people who truly can’t put $100 more down, or simply would never game on TV.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Oooor.

Treat yo shit with respect

Have you never been to any Switch social media page? It's basically Nintendo's RROD. It's a design flaw.

It's one of the biggest subjects on the Switch Reddit. Almost daily.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'd prefer that they didn't muddy the waters with this pointless version. The identity of the Switch (home or mobile; instantly detach controllers to share a local game) will be publicly confused by this option, and just wait until people realize certain key games (Labo etc) are inherently incompatible with it.

Not sure why the Switch Lite doesn't support TV out. The controllers are not detachable, so the cost of a Switch Lite + Dock + Joycons > Regular Switch which means Nintendo can get more profits. It doesn't make much sense functionality-wise and business-wise.

prag16

Banned
$89? No way considering they charge almost that for their pro controller. Home version would be nearly the same price.
Why? If that were to be the case, it'd be a "because they can" situation and nothing else. $89 is probably too low, but a TV-only Switch (with no screen or battery) should absolutely not be more than $149, whether it ships with a pair of joy cons or a pro controller. Any higher than that would be a massive ripoff.

Not sure why the Switch Lite doesn't support TV out. The controllers are not detachable, so the cost of a Switch Lite + Dock + Joycons > Regular Switch which means Nintendo can get more profits. It doesn't make much sense functionality-wise and business-wise.

Yep, it's asinine. It would probably cost them about a dollar per unit to include TV out, and as you said they can make that up many times over in standalone accessory sales. Stupid decision.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

But the hardware would cost basically nothing without a screen and battery.

$89 would be a good price, but you have to include a controller in the package. Controller is $79 usd.

I could see a $149-$169 tv-only version, and I’d buy it in a second. I still have my vitatv next to my tv, lol

DESTROYA

SKwXJuN.png

Still looks uncomfortable and remember how XC2 runs on portable mode?

They should have used this still on "triggers" instead
a03f1a6e3ab2189c05422d5e133b84f5.jpg

What is the bottom pic?
Is that more comfortable looking joycons made for Daemon x Machina? Looks 100% better than the joycons any idea on price, release date and compatibility with all games?
Those are the joycons I’ve been dreaming about.

joe_zazen

Why? If that were to be the case, it'd be a "because they can" situation and nothing else. $89 is probably too low, but a TV-only Switch (with no screen or battery) should absolutely not be more than $149, whether it ships with a pair of joy cons or a pro controller. Any higher than that would be a massive ripoff.

No argument. I’d still pay $199 CDN for it.

Yep, it's asinine. It would probably cost them about a dollar per unit to include TV out, and as you said they can make that up many times over in standalone accessory sales. Stupid decision.

They’d need to include all the extra grunt that allows the OG to uprez and output. The mini has had $99 of hardware removed.

Personally, i’d advise against buying the cheap model unless you don't care about ergonomics. Not having the pro controller as an option is bad.

I also wish they’d strait up tell us if a pro is coming or not.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What is the bottom pic?
Is that more comfortable looking joycons made for Daemon x Machina? Looks 100% better than the joycons any idea on price, release date and compatibility with all games?
Those are the joycons I’ve been dreaming about.
50 bucks and it releases on September. It is already SOLD out though. Compability is every game that doesn't require gyro. https://hori.jp/products/nsw/grip_con_DXM/

Last edited by a moderator:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Have you never been to any Switch social media page? It's basically Nintendo's RROD. It's a design flaw.

It's one of the biggest subjects on the Switch Reddit. Almost daily.
duh nobody gonna go to reddit and say gosh my joycon still works its so good.

Only complainers write there

RScrewed

How are they reducing the options?

Before today you had the choice of Nintendo Switch and that's it. ONE option.
Now you have Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite (handheld only). Now you have TWO options.

You had one option. Now you have two.
You know what "reduce" means right?

From the perspective of the normal Switch, they have reduced options. Can we agree to that?

It has to have a charge port anyway, it has the same chipset inside, the only reason they removed the ability to connect to a tv with an external dongle is to make the full sized Switch that much more appealing.

Now, if it so turns out the silicon on the inside can fully support HDMI out through the USB-C jack and it is disabled via software, would you not consider that a reduction in options for the sake of reduction in options? Good for Nintendo's business, crappy for consumers.

Looking forward to the firmware mod that enables video out over the USB charging port.

Last edited:

JCK75

I mean for the original switch, I'll get the mini for my son but the old one will still be for me until the pro comes along.

Birdo

Banned
Since Nintendo don't care about throwing away the "Swtich" aspect of the Switch now. There is hope for a dedicated TV-only version (That woud be WAAAAY more poular and cheaper).

iconmaster

Banned
To everyone who was sure Nintendo wouldn't sacrifice the Switch premise for the sake of Switch marketshare... you were far more idealistic than Nintendo is.

A $200 Switch teamed with Pokémon will land like an atomic bomb this holiday.

And you should probably stop holding your breath for a Switch Pro. Why would Nintendo want the Switch to get more expensive? Maybe there'll be a spec bump in the vein of New 3DS if it becomes essentially free for Nintendo to do so. Otherwise, it's just not their style.

To everyone who was sure Nintendo wouldn't sacrifice the Switch premise for the sake of Switch marketshare... you were far more idealistic than Nintendo is.

A $200 Switch teamed with Pokémon will land like an atomic bomb this holiday.

And you should probably stop holding your breath for a Switch Pro. Why would Nintendo want the Switch to get more expensive? Maybe there'll be a spec bump in the vein of New 3DS if it becomes essentially free for Nintendo to do so. Otherwise, it's just not their style.

I dunno man. I think a Pro version is on the way.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I really need to make a wall of dumb for every poster in here who thinks this is a pointless/bad idea and post it when this thing shifts like five million units before 2020.

cryptoadam

Banned
This isn't a price drop. Thats what people want it seems.

Of course they remove the TV option, or else why would anyone buy the regular switch? Because they want the overprice piece of plastic called the dock LOL.

You want TV out get the normal switch. You want just portable get this.

I now don't think there will be a switch pro. I think it will be a switch 2, and the switch lite will eventually drop to 149.99 and be Nintendo's new "portable" system.

This is strictly a business and marketing move by Nintendo to have a 199$ system and handheld, especially for Japan and kids. This isn't an XBOX X that is upping the specs and giving more value. It has a specific purpose and is designed that way.

Top Bottom