• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Powered by Custom Nvidia Tegra Chip (Official)

Isn't there? Isn't 1080p on 5+ inch mobile phone screen almost standard by now?

My phone has a 5.5 inch 1080p screen and the battery is dreadful when playing Pokemon Go. Literally 3 hours, max if I turn on battery saver, lower screen brightness etc. Proper 3D games at 1080p on a screen an inch bigger? Yikes!

RibMan

Mr Swine said:
Everyone was expecting 480p or 540p like Vita and now it's pointing thoward 720p and that is a massive leap. Sure 1080p would be cool but the tech isn't there yet

There is something alarming about living so far in the past.

What year do you believe a 1080p screen, in a mobile gaming device, will be possible?

I have no idea of technical stuff but... Would not 540p be perfect fit? On the big screen with full power it will render 1080, on the handheld just render a quarter of the pixels at 30 fps. That's a lot of power saving.if it is cheap enough 540p will be welcome.

Luigiv

What year do you believe a 1080p screen, in a mobile gaming device, will be possible?
I think he means GPU tech not screen tech. No point in having a 1080p screen if no games run at that resolution.

antonz

There are a ton of factors that need to be weighed. Battery life being the most substantial of all. 1080P for phones etc. exist not for gaming but for displaying text and video. Even The iPad Pro with its 9 hour video time,10 hour web browsing etc., drops to under 4 hours when gaming on it and the stuff its playing is nothing close to what Nintendo will be pushing

Phones with 1080 p barely last 2 hours playing a less intensive game. The Switch playing a console game will drain battery real quick with 1080 p.

We should be grateful to even have 780 p.

G.ZZZ

When 4k gaming is widespread is a good guess. There's a factor of 4 between 1080p and 4k, which is about the difference between Switch and PS4. PS4 is still nowhere close at doing actual 4k rendering, just like pro. Scorpio May be able to do it, but at what price? 400W TDP most likely, and a portable can't afford anything more than a~10 W TDP . That's also ignoring the fact that sadly batteries aren't really getting better so it May still not be worth it in 5 years from now to do 1080p native gaming because batteries would Last an hour top.

Peru

1080 would hardly even be a noticeable improvement on this small screen for most, but it would be a massive detriment to performance and battery life. It would the dumbest decision in the company's history . It's beyond foolish to demand 1080 on a small portable screen when current gen powerhouse consoles can't always do it as big boxes.

Phones with 1080 p barely last 2 hours playing a less intensive game. The Switch playing a console game will drain battery real quick with 1080 p.

True. I can't understand the reasoning behind these "urgh I want 1080p" posts. 720p is more than enough and it basically confirms that Nintendo wants to create a good hardware this time around

1080 would hardly even be a noticeable improvement on this small screen for most, but it would be a massive detriment to performance and battery life. It would the dumbest decision in the company's history . It's beyond foolish to demand 1080 on a small portable screen when current gen powerhouse consoles can't always do it as big boxes.

Do you think it might switch to 1080 when docked, and power is no longer an issue? Genuine question, I have no idea!

Harmen

My phone has a 5.5 inch 1080p screen and the battery is dreadful when playing Pokemon Go. Literally 3 hours, max if I turn on battery saver, lower screen brightness etc. Proper 3D games at 1080p on a screen an inch bigger? Yikes!

Your Iphone is probably a lot thinner though. I assume the NS's battery will be much larger. That said, I do feel 720p gaming is more suited for a dedicated handheld at this time, performance, cost, and (battery)convenience wise.

On a large tv 720p is blurry though, so I hope it will at least aim for 900p in docked mode.

LordKano

Isn't that what we heard from those "trusted rumor" ? That the dock have the power to upscale to 1080p or something ?

From what I've understood, it doesn't work exactly like that. It's more that the game is already rendered in 1080p on the screen, and it's downscaled when you play on the tablet (in 720p).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Your Iphone is probably a lot thinner though. I assume the NS's battery will be much larger. That said, I do feel 720p gaming is more suited for a dedicated handheld at this time, performance, cost, and (battery)convenience wise.

On a large tv 720p is blurry though, so I hope it will at least aim for 900p in docked mode.

I swear that people pushing both for thinner and thinner phones and resolution on 5-6'' screens rising more and more bringing DPI way above 300 (what a waste...) want to kill phones which already approach £700-800+.

oti

Banned
No one was expecting it to be bigger than Vita before we found out that it was a hybrid and 720p was leaked.

I know. If it was smaller and the Joy-Con not detachable this wouldn't be a conversation. But since it just looks like a tablet without the controllers? 720p at least is a must.

sinxtanx

Talking about resolutions and hardware power...
I wouldn't mind some options like this on a user account level, so games can know what the player prefers:
jDMOpKc.png
Ni-Oh has it, it's great, and it's high time that console games started getting at least some graphics settings now that we're entering into the fluid power ecosystem era.

I'm just stoked we'll finally get a Nintendo handheld with a decent resolution. This is more than an 800% increase in pixels over the 3DS isn't it?

Jackano

Talking about resolutions and hardware power...
I wouldn't mind some options like this on a user account level, so games can know what the player prefers:

Ni-Oh has it, it's great, and it's high time that console games started getting at least some graphics settings now that we're entering into the fluid power ecosystem era.

Pretty cool, and looks a very "Nintendo-like" way to do graphics settings. Nice!

RibMan

I think he means GPU tech not screen tech. No point in having a 1080p screen if no games run at that resolution.

Let's ignore the fact that Nintendo, of all companies, can easily produce multiple Switch games that run at 1080p. Let's also ignore the fact that there is no written rule, anywhere, that prohibits developers from making a 1080p game on a 1080p capable device. Beyond gaming, there's absolutely a point to having a modern screen in the device. Video playback, app support, web browsing -- these are the three biggest reasons why a 2017 portable should have a modern screen. The Nvidia internals should have more than enough juice to support a modern resolution and screen.

I totally get it -- there's something old school to wanting a gaming device that does just that, gaming. But releasing a handheld device without hi-res video playback or internet browsing capabilities, in 2017, is the equivalent of showing up to a naval battle equipped with a Super Soaker. Think about marketing the device to an audience of people who want more than just an old school gaming handheld. An audience of people who, thanks to Apple's brilliant marketing of the Retina display many years ago, care more about resolution and clarity of the display than ever before.

There are a ton of factors that need to be weighed. Battery life being the most substantial of all. 1080P for phones etc. exist not for gaming but for displaying text and video. Even The iPad Pro with its 9 hour video time,10 hour web browsing etc., drops to under 4 hours when gaming on it and the stuff its playing is nothing close to what Nintendo will be pushing

Including a higher than 720p screen would be beneficial to more than just gaming. The Nvidia K1 tablet -- another portable device running on a Tegra -- includes a full 1080p screen that adds more than just extra clarity when gaming. Releasing a mobile device that looks outdated in one of the most prized features of a modern mobile device (i.e. The display) is a path towards guaranteed failure in a wider market. In the same way it's not difficult for me to understand that a higher resolution screen means less battery life and a potentially higher price, it should not be difficult for you to understand that for almost 2 decades now, people have been buying gaming devices and using them for more than just gaming, and a 720p screen does more harm than good for a 'new' portable platform in 2017.

No, we shouldn't, and you're 100% incorrect about the phone part. This is how companies get away with being cheap under the guise of passing on benefits to the end consumer. I don't disagree that managing power consumption from the screen is a challenge. But to pretend that a 1080p screen would result in 10 seconds of gaming and about 5 minutes of media playback is a complete lie. The Nvidia Tegra architecture prides itself on efficiency. With that in mind, there are multiple techniques that Nintendo can employ to get a reasonable battery life out of a modern screen. Temporarily downclocking the internal components could lead to better battery life, right? What about brightness and background process management? Dynamic resolution and scaling techniques? On my 2 year old Note 4 1440x2560 resolution phone I easily get more than 4 hours of gaming on any game -- be it 3D gaming or 2D gaming. Obviously the Switch is pushing improved graphics, but let's cut through the nonsense. A 1080p screen won't lead to such a dramatic decrease in battery life that would make the device unusable -- especially if the games are running at a resolution below 1080p. For media playback -- local HD video playback, streaming -- the exact same Note phone powering a 1440x2560 screen easily hits 5 hours and more. Obviously the Note isn't using a Nvidia chip like the Switch, but at a certain point, you must realize that a 2 year old portable device -- that can and is used for gaming -- should not be able to run circles around a brand new portable gaming device.

What should be clear by now is that something's off with the picture and it's not the frame. Now, if the argument is that including a 1080p screen or newer battery technology in the Switch could lead to a more expensive handheld then I 100% agree. But that just leads us back to the problem of Nintendo going the cheap route with their chosen components and system design, which raises a tremendous amount of questions on whether or not the company has learned anything from the failures of the Wii U and 3DS and on whether or not the company realizes how advanced the portable market has become. I'm not even trying to be funny, but claiming a 720p screen in a 2017 handheld is incredible is the equivalent of claiming a car having a disc drive is a magical feat of engineering that demands coverage from TIME and Al Jazeera.

When 4k gaming is widespread is a good guess. There's a factor of 4 between 1080p and 4k, which is about the difference between Switch and PS4. PS4 is still nowhere close at doing actual 4k rendering, just like pro. Scorpio May be able to do it, but at what price? 400W TDP most likely, and a portable can't afford anything more than a~10 W TDP . That's also ignoring the fact that sadly batteries aren't really getting better so it May still not be worth it in 5 years from now to do 1080p native gaming because batteries would Last an hour top.

In 5 years time, portable devices will be pushing 4K screens without breaking a sweat. I'm struggling to understand what is leading you to believe Nintendo can't put a modern screen in the Switch. Is it because of power/heat concerns or am I missing something else entirely?

Launching a portable device next year that is closer to portable devices from 5 years ago than from 5 months ago could be the most backwards and business illiterate move they pull in 2017 and beyond. The idea that Nintendo can do just fine by releasing underpowered devices should have been put to bed after the catastrophic failure of the Wii U and the less catastrophic but still massively underperfoming results of the 3DS. You cannot sit there and argue that modern technology in handheld devices is not desirable and demanded by people who buy handheld devices. I get it -- it's easy to believe Nintendo when they claim they're not competing with anyone, but reality does not agree with them. Apps, internet, gaming, music -- these are all things that people who get on planes with a device in their pocket expect their device to be able to do. The screen (and obviously the speakers) are the output components for the features. When one of the output components is an unfunny joke, what does that do to the chances of success of the device?

Do you think consumers will care more about the presence of an Nvidia logo somewhere inside the device or will they care more about the screen that they have to interact with everytime they use the device undocked? Be honest. If someone has a Galaxy phone or an iPad and they purchase the Switch, do you actually believe they will be impressed by the screen in the Switch?

I apologize for the wall of text, but I think it's important to be able to discuss and address some of the issues with the Switch that could be dealbreakers for people who are hesitant to drop hundreds of dollars on a new portable platform. The Switch running on the capable Nvidia architecture is good, but the Switch failing to include modern components that can take full advantage of that architecture is bad. Perhaps we're all completely wrong and the Switch comes equipped with a modern screen with great battery performance, but everything we've heard thus far makes me question how Nintendo can fail, yet again, to deliver a modern gaming device. It makes me question who they're listening to, and if they're still listening to the same group of people who swore that the Wii U and 3DS's lack of modern specs would be fine, then I hope they have a new marketing team that is out of this world.

I think if this device has other applications like Netflix on the go, that they should have went with a 1080p screen. Then give you the option at what resolution it renders at. The sorely missed Note 7 had a 1440p screen but allowed you to drop the resolution to 1080p and 720p at the OS level to preserve battery life.

Luigiv

Let's ignore the fact that Nintendo, of all companies, can easily produce multiple Switch games that run at 1080p. Let's also ignore the fact that there is no written rule, anywhere, that prohibits developers from making a 1080p game on a 1080p capable device. Beyond gaming, there's absolutely a point to having a modern screen in the device. Video playback, app support, web browsing -- these are the three biggest reasons why a 2017 portable should have a modern screen. The Nvidia internals should have more than enough juice to support a modern resolution and screen.

I totally get it -- there's something old school to wanting a gaming device that does just that, gaming. But releasing a handheld device without hi-res video playback or internet browsing capabilities, in 2017, is the equivalent of showing up to a naval battle equipped with a Super Soaker. Think about marketing the device to an audience of people who want more than just an old school gaming handheld. An audience of people who, thanks to Apple's brilliant marketing of the Retina display many years ago, care more about resolution and clarity of the display than ever before.
I agree a 1080p screen would be preferred for web browsing, but otherwise, eh. 236ppi is adequate for gaming and video. As long as this thing is reasonably priced I can live with that compromise.

There's no need to be writing such long posts to what basically boils down to you wanting a device that pursues a market philosophy more akin to that of Apple (or any other phone manufacturer) than what Nintendo stands for, which is gaming first and foremost.

What's the use of having a screen with very high DPI, mainly suited for 2D purposes, when that will most likely result in games rendering at a lower than native resolution? In this way all the clarity gained from a 1080p screen will go to waste while playing 3D games, the thing that most people will buy the Switch for.

There's a balance to be struck between price, battery life and resolution and most likely Nintendo will prioritize the first two factors.

EDIT: Ok, he got us

Floyd

*Feels sleepy*

Including a higher than 720p screen would be beneficial to more than just gaming. The Nvidia K1 tablet -- another portable device running on a Tegra -- includes a full 1080p screen that adds more than just extra clarity when gaming. Releasing a mobile device that looks outdated in one of the most prized features of a modern mobile device (i.e. The display) is a path towards guaranteed failure in a wider market. In the same way it's not difficult for me to understand that a higher resolution screen means less battery life and a potentially higher price, it should not be difficult for you to understand that for almost 2 decades now, people have been buying gaming devices and using them for more than just gaming, and a 720p screen does more harm than good for a 'new' portable platform in 2017.

No, we shouldn't, and you're 100% incorrect about the phone part. This is how companies get away with being cheap under the guise of passing on benefits to the end consumer. I don't disagree that managing power consumption from the screen is a challenge. But to pretend that a 1080p screen would result in 10 seconds of gaming and about 5 minutes of media playback is a complete lie. The Nvidia Tegra architecture prides itself on efficiency. With that in mind, there are multiple techniques that Nintendo can employ to get a reasonable battery life out of a modern screen. Temporarily downclocking the internal components could lead to better battery life, right? What about brightness and background process management? Dynamic resolution and scaling techniques? On my 2 year old Note 4 1440x2560 resolution phone I easily get more than 4 hours of gaming on any game -- be it 3D gaming or 2D gaming. Obviously the Switch is pushing improved graphics, but let's cut through the nonsense. A 1080p screen won't lead to such a dramatic decrease in battery life that would make the device unusable -- especially if the games are running at a resolution below 1080p. For media playback -- local HD video playback, streaming -- the exact same Note phone powering a 1440x2560 screen easily hits 5 hours and more. Obviously the Note isn't using a Nvidia chip like the Switch, but at a certain point, you must realize that a 2 year old portable device -- that can and is used for gaming -- should not be able to run circles around a brand new portable gaming device.

What should be clear by now is that something's off with the picture and it's not the frame. Now, if the argument is that including a 1080p screen or newer battery technology in the Switch could lead to a more expensive handheld then I 100% agree. But that just leads us back to the problem of Nintendo going the cheap route with their chosen components and system design, which raises a tremendous amount of questions on whether or not the company has learned anything from the failures of the Wii U and 3DS and on whether or not the company realizes how advanced the portable market has become. I'm not even trying to be funny, but claiming a 720p screen in a 2017 handheld is incredible is the equivalent of claiming a car having a disc drive is a magical feat of engineering that demands coverage from TIME and Al Jazeera.

*Eyes half closed*

In 5 years time, portable devices will be pushing 4K screens without breaking a sweat. I'm struggling to understand what is leading you to believe Nintendo can't put a modern screen in the Switch. Is it because of power/heat concerns or am I missing something else entirely?

Launching a portable device next year that is closer to portable devices from 5 years ago than from 5 months ago could be the most backwards and business illiterate move they pull in 2017 and beyond. The idea that Nintendo can do just fine by releasing underpowered devices should have been put to bed after the catastrophic failure of the Wii U and the less catastrophic but still massively underperfoming results of the 3DS. You cannot sit there and argue that modern technology in handheld devices is not desirable and demanded by people who buy handheld devices. I get it -- it's easy to believe Nintendo when they claim they're not competing with anyone, but reality does not agree with them. Apps, internet, gaming, music -- these are all things that people who get on planes with a device in their pocket expect their device to be able to do. The screen (and obviously the speakers) are the output components for the features. When one of the output components is an unfunny joke, what does that do to the chances of success of the device?

Do you think consumers will care more about the presence of an Nvidia logo somewhere inside the device or will they care more about the screen that they have to interact with everytime they use the device undocked? Be honest. If someone has a Galaxy phone or an iPad and they purchase the Switch, do you actually believe they will be impressed by the screen in the Switch?

I apologize for the wall of text, but I think it's important to be able to discuss and address some of the issues with the Switch that could be dealbreakers for people who are hesitant to drop hundreds of dollars on a new portable platform. The Switch running on the capable Nvidia architecture is good, but the Switch failing to include modern components that can take full advantage of that architecture is bad. Perhaps we're all completely wrong and the Switch comes equipped with a modern screen with great battery performance, but everything we've heard thus far makes me question how Nintendo can fail, yet again, to deliver a modern gaming device. It makes me question who they're listening to, and if they're still listening to the same group of people who swore that the Wii U and 3DS's lack of modern specs would be fine, then I hope they have a new marketing team that is out of this world.

*ZZZzzzzz ZZZzzzzzz*

Trolling for the lols? Too much effort.

gogogow

What's not modern about a 720p screen? If it's a TN screen, I will laugh at Nintendo. Sad!
But if it's a 720p IPS screen, I don't see any problem with it.

And you are okay with sub native resolution games...ewww!

"closer to 5 year old devices than 5 months"

Eeeeeh.....what part of the device is closer to 5 year old? It's using the latest Pascal based Tegra chip. There are also plenty of 720p phones and tablets out there. You don't even know what you're talking about.

Branduil

Most people will not even notice the screen is 720p when gaming. It will only be noticeable if they're using it to browse the web but how many people are going to use their Switch for that?

Rondras

Banned
Isn't there? Isn't 1080p on 5+ inch mobile phone screen almost standard by now?

It's a standard for mobiles, not for gaming. Sure you can play games on your smartphone with those screen but those games are bad looking or in "low" resolutions. Also 1080p screens usually cost more, so trying to fit that into a gaming system without chargin' too much isn't there yet

TLZ

Banned
I think it will be 6GB LPDDR4 total, with 1.5-2GB reserved to the OS (so 4-4.5GB for games), plus 4MB SRAM on die. It won't have bandwitdh issues, that's for sure.

~240dpi (the screen is 6.2") is within spitting distance of the iPad Pro/Air's retina 264ppi and you keep both at roughly the same distance so 720p is perfect for a device this size. Phones have to render webpages and whatsapp, not Zelda.

Are you sure it's 6.2? Looks a lot more closer to 7 to me from the images.

Narroo

Out of curiosity, what is the native resolution of your TV and what mode are you running the picture in? If it's up scaling to 1080p or if you're not using 'native resolution picture size' (the more likely scenario) then you'd get blurriness.

My television, by default, uses 'full scaling' for picture size, and it makes 720p look blurry. When I switch it to native it looks fine. Check your picture settings.

(For my TV, the setting is only available on the remote control. For some bizarre reason it's not available in the TV's actual picture menu! It took me forever to figure this one out; I knew something was off but I couldn't figure out what until I broke out a calibration disk and noticed that it was overscanning the image. *Eventually* I figured out the option was only on the remote. The moral of the story is that your TV could have screwed up settings and it may not be obvious at all that the blurriness is due to poor picture settings!)

We already have phones and tablets for multimedia stuff, we really don't need a dedicated gaming handheld having to accommodate all that. 720p is fine, and probably the best compromise between looks, performance and power use. Most people won't notice the difference.

Beyond gaming, there's absolutely a point to having a modern screen in the device.

but most people wont be using it for that since they alreayd have phones. it is not trying to replace a phone so the opportunity cost of losing valuable gaming time is higher than getting slightly better movie or browsing experience.

releasing a handheld device without hi-res video playback or internet browsing capabilities, in 2017, An audience of people who, thanks to Apple's brilliant marketing of the Retina display many years ago, care more about resolution and clarity of the display than ever before.

Again you are making this into some kind of replacement. this is not a replacement for any of those. I don't know why you are thinking of it in this way. opportunity cost of competing with 800 USD machine. I doubt you even know that you really care.

Tegra -- includes a full 1080p screen that adds more than just extra clarity when gaming.
most games run on 720p on that machine and the non native rendering makes the games look blurry on a 1080p screen. Again I don't think you know that you don't care about resolution when gaming.

On my 2 year old Note 4 1440x2560 resolution phone I easily get more than 4 hours of gaming on any game -- be it 3D gaming or 2D gaming. For media playback -- local HD video playback, streaming -- the exact same Note phone powering a 1440x2560 screen easily hits 5 hours and more, you must realize that a 2 year old portable device -- that can and is used for gaming -- should not be able to run circles around a brand new portable gaming device.

Again, I don't beleive any of your games are running at 2560p. most of your games on that machine will be rendered at 540p or something like that with low level graphics to save tons of battery. Again from this evidence I don't think you even know that your body doesn't care about resolution, but your mind sure does and it doesn't even have eyes. ALso the movies you are playing are most likely also not being played in 2560p native so good luck on your blurry 720p streamed movies that are already compressed as hell in the first place.

I'm not even trying to be funny, but claiming a 720p screen in a 2017 handheld is incredible is the equivalent of claiming a car having a disc drive is a magical feat of engineering that demands coverage from TIME and Al Jazeera.

720 on a handheld that will probably run at 400+ gflops undocked and getting 3 hours plus battery life while running AAA games? yeah that pretty good especially at the $300 mark. None of us are saying this is amazing by any means.

Yes I don't think you even know when your device is actually displaying native content.

Launching a portable device next year that is closer to portable devices from 5 years ago .... DOOMED.... DOOMED?

Do you think.... DOOMED .... DOOMED?

I apologize for the wall of text, DOOMED.... DOOMED , then I hope they have a new marketing team that is out of this world.

Finally, the sky is not falling. You are trying to position this product as some kind of direct competitor into a red ocean where all the sharks have been circling for that last chunk of meat. The benefits of this machine are gaming and not smartphone gaming. This is how it is differentiating itself. It will be able to play full home experience AAA games (especially nintendo ones) on the go. No other product does this that is alive (vita).

You are trying to take this machine beyond gaming when you know that will exponentially increase the barrier to entry on this machine. You need to look at the opportunity costs in making this machine compete with 800 counterparts.

Consumers care about the main benefit of this machine. It is to provide high quality games different to the smartphone games, that you can play at home and on the go without having to double dip to buy a handheld version like their previous iterations. IF they position that benefit correctly the features are just secondary to the benefits.

Lets see, so far people want

1TFLOP + handheld undocked
2560p screen
512GB ssd
6 hour battery life
AAA games
Movie playback great OS apps
for how much again? $199 because nintendo

is this about right?

People are forgetting the size of the cartridges, how much Gigas would be stored in? 8 ? 12 Gigas? GTA6 easily will go to 50 GB.

Lol. You have no idea what you're talking about. Not to mention Smash 4 is at around 16GB with the DLC, and it's rumored to be getting an NX port, so the disc sizes are at least that large

Maybe you should see a optometrist. It's possible you're going blind, because that is most definitely not the case

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Do you think it might switch to 1080 when docked, and power is no longer an issue? Genuine question, I have no idea!

The rumors suggest it has more power in docked mode. My guess is that the SoC runs at a higher clock speed and may even have some functional units that are enabled only in docked mode.

TLZ

Banned
I find it sad people are OK with buying a console and then almost certainly having to pay more for storage soon after. They did it with Wii U and it was a pretty shit move. By the time you did that you ended up paying PS4 money for the thing.

At 480p yes.

I actually bought the 8gb version because I had a 100gb hdd lying around so that cost me much less and still have it to this moment. And it's still not full.

With the NS it'll be the same situation, if not even better because they're using carts, so faster load times :)

Just to let you know, in her latest article about battery etc, she says that all of her sources say that games run better in docked mode, than in handheld.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

And she says she's got about 5 different sources.

So it does sound like there is some kind of performance gain when docked beyond the upscaling thingy. It could be that this is happening seamlessly in the background, so devs don't have to worry about two configurations, and that could be why the supposed dev on anandtech believes there is no clockspeed changes when docked. It could be that he just doesn't know.

Thanks, just read the article last night. It still makes sense for some type of upscaling hardware in the dock, but it seems an upclock in docked mode is looking more and more likely (btw, this also makes sense of a dev on Twitter from a while back talking about a secret platform needing both HD and SD assets). Looking at that one large connector on the side/bottom of the Switch, that appears to be more than video output or power to me (power could be handled by what appears to be a micro or USB C output on the bottom center). The connector on the left is more reminiscent of a PCIe or other custom high-speed expansion port.

dr_rus

And PS4 also can work with FP16.

It can, with the same throughput and even the same register pressure (I think; they've added to ability to pack 2xFP16 registers only in GCN3 I believe?) as FP32, meaning that there's little reason to use it on PS4 h/w.

I don't agree with the bolded part. What are you basing it on? By "all shaders" I assume you mean "all FLOPs required for one frame". I'd argue the vast majority of GPU FLOPS in most modern games are spent in fragment shaders, and that a lot more than 25% of those could potentially run at half precision.

That said, you are completely right that it won't magically make things twice as fast. But I also don't see any tangible evidence limiting the upper end of the improvements possible to 25% across all games.

Yes, all math throughput for a frame, not the number of shaders of course. 25% is a rather generous assumption based on numbers from simulations I've heard about, it's actually way less than that on average, +5-10% of general performance from FP16 optimizations if we're talking about usual PC games.

Obviously, Switch is a bit different as it's half handheld and it may actually use FP16 way more aggressively, resulting in bigger gains but at the cost of some precision artifacting, which will probably be mostly noticeable in TV mode of operation.

Tarin02543

I am really happy with the Nintendo Switch and I will buy it.

Truth is, it caters to the 30+ nostalgia gamers; young children won't even know it exists.

I am really happy with the Nintendo Switch and I will buy it.

Truth is, it caters to the 30+ nostalgia gamers; young children won't even know it exists.

well I guess my kids will love it when they'll be able to play during car trips.

you see, this ad was aimed at young adults because they're the target to hype now. that doesn't mean the thing has no appeal to children. It has.

Spinluck

Why don't people think it'll be able to run games at 1080p when docked? Are you serious? Wii U ran some games at 1080p and that came out like 4yrs ago. This is supposed to be much more powerful. 1080p seems like a no brainer to me (only for some games while docked).

Why don't people think it'll be able to run games at 1080p when docked? Are you serious? Wii U ran some games at 1080p and that came out like 4yrs ago. This is supposed to be much more powerful. 1080p seems like a no brainer to me (only for some games while docked).

I haven't seen that many people saying this...

The rumors from Laura Dale suggest it will upclock when docked, so many games should be able to render at 1080p. It obviously depends on developer priorities though.

G.ZZZ

Because the screen isn't 1080p and to get a 720>1080 transition the console should more than double its clocks. I 'd love it to target 1080 p for TV and then down scale accoddingly but it's not a given, they may very well go for just a moderate increase of the clocks, if even.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because the screen isn't 1080p and to get a 720>1080 transition the console should more than double its clocks. I 'd love it to target 1080 p for TV and then down scale accoddingly but it's not a given, they may very well go for just a moderate increase of the clocks, if even.

You're assuming that the games will push the resources to the max when in handheld mode. That will probably be the case with 3rd party games, but 1st party games should be able to render 720p in handheld mode without too many issues. Take for example Zelda. It runs already at 720p on Wii U. Even if we assume a very moderate 2 x Wii U power in handheld mode (which would mean a Tegra X1 running at 688Mhz), that should run Zelda at 720p without sweating. So docked, active cooled and pushed to the max it is pretty realistic to be able to run at 1080p.

sinxtanx

x-quoting myself from the BotW thread

I went frame by frame through the choppy portion of the switch reveal, removed duplicate frames, and gave it a fixed framerate of 15fps.

Why do this? I wanted to see if any frame-time wonkyness appeared, which would imply that the game itself was chopping. But the result is a reasonably smooth 15fps with nothing weird that sticks out, which makes me now 99% certain that, yes, some poor trailer editor was given a second or so less of Zelda than they asked for.

#TeamReasonablySmooth

Retrobox

x-quoting myself from the BotW thread
#TeamReasonablySmooth

Really weird how Mario seemed to be running completely fine, but not so much Zelda. I guess in the end some dumb stuff behind the scenes happened. I can't believe choppy performance will actually be an issue for BoTW on Switch, no matter which mode. It would be absolutely disappointing to say the least.

Top Bottom