• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Powered by Custom Nvidia Tegra Chip (Official)

gogogow

I really doubt Nintendo is using cutting edge pascal-based Tegra, if only because the machine must remain cost effective and sold at a reasonable price. X1 should be good enough for Nintendo's purposes, although not enough to be graphically competitive with the other two consoles.

Maxwell X1 is bigger and is less power-efficient. That would be terrible for something that is also portable. It also makes sense for Nvidia to push their new Parker chip, which they are also pushing for cars, instead of suddenly making millions of the old Maxwell chips using 20nm. They would make less chips per wafer. Not sure that's really cheaper and has a few negative impacts on the Switch as previously mentioned.

I'm not very good with tech, but i understand that the Switch sits slightly behind XB1 in terms of raw power, and that supports modern engines like UE4.

The question is: how many ports of AAA games can we expect?
Like, are we going to get games like Watch Dogs 2, For Honor, Battlefield1 or Titanfall 2?
Of course they'de be at a lower res and lower details (i guess), but still, is there a good chance?

If its close to xb1 in power, then that wouldn't be much of an issue. Heck we've already gotten confirmation from devs that it isn't hard to port games on switch. We'll get a couple big name games at launch, but the main thing is sales. If enough people buy the switch and the 3rd party games, and if the publishers and devs get a profit from it, then the games will continue being made. That's how it works. Developers won't keep making games for platforms if they aren't making money from it.

Maxwell X1 is bigger and is less power-efficient. That would be terrible for something that is also portable. It also makes sense for Nvidia to push their new Parker chip, which they are also pushing for cars, instead of suddenly making millions of the old Maxwell chips using 20nm. They would make less chips per wafer. Not sure that's really cheaper and has a few negative impacts on the Switch as previously mentioned.
Agree with you, doesn't have any sense to use old technology. Also.., I think the Nvidia statement was very clear.

Roo

If its close to xb1 in power, then that wouldn't be much of an issue. Heck we've already gotten confirmation from devs that it isn't hard to port games on switch. We'll get a couple big name games at launch, but the main thing is sales. If enough people buy the switch and the 3rd party games, and if the publishers and devs get a profit from it, then the games will continue being made. That's how it works. Developers won't keep making games for platforms if they aren't making money from it.
Do you have a link for that? Not that I don't believe you, it's just that I haven't been into tech discussion at all for a while now so I'd like to know what developers have to say about it.

Kimawolf

Its why I liked the marketing piece we saw so far. You didnt see one kid in the ad. It also felt more... grown up.

I think perhaps they are going to try to market the Switch to teens/ adults.

orioto

Good Art™
how did we go from some informed people telling me 3 months ago on that same board that best case scenario for NX was 500gflops to people convincing themselves now that it's not far from the XBO (which is 3x more than that)...

Do you have a link for that? Not that I don't believe you, it's just that I haven't been into tech discussion at all for a while now so I'd like to know what developers have to say about it.

Well its more like rumors/leaks if anything. But a couple of sources have said its easy to develop games for and port from PS4/Xbone. It supports Unity and Unreal Engine 4 as well.

http://wccftech.com/rumor-nintendo-nx-power-closest-xbox-run-ps4xo-games-modification/

For those expecting 1080p mode for the docked portion you realize all textures and effects will more than likely be optimized for 720p and below?

We already know the screen is 720p and when the guy removes the Switch from the Dock the game immediately shows up on the Switch screen which means it is likely using the same assets between the two. And with cartridge space and RAM space (if 4GB is true) coming at a premium it makes sense to only include one set of assets.

Now if this is the case wouldn't it make more sense for the dock to just upscale the image since the assets will be designed for 720p and below anyway?
Games don't include multiple sets of textures specifically for different resolutions, so there's no reason to load up a new set. They'll work with different sizes of the texture depending on how it's used on screen. Move right up to the wall in 720p and it will use the largest version of the wall texture, beyond what it will use when the wall is further away in 1080p.
f08xi01.jpg

If a dev really thinks the majority of the time their game will be portable maybe they'll figure 1080p isn't worth bothering with. Or if they're trying to scale down a game originally designed for the higher spec machines, maybe it's a sacrifice they'll make. But otherwise for games designed with Switch in mind, it's a machine several times as powerful as Wii U and with several times the RAM, so no immediate reason to skimp.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm just glad that Nintendo is finally dumping the Gecko/Gamecube microarchitecture. It's been what, 15 years? Sheesh.

Plum

Wait, why are people comparing flops directly to the PS4/X1 when Nvidia's definition of them is different to AMD's? Or is this different/am I wrong?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
how did we go from some informed people telling me 3 months ago on that same board that best case scenario for NX was 500gflops to people convincing themselves now that it's not far from the XBO (which is 3x more than that)...

3 months ago active cooling was just a thing present in the first devkit and surely not in the final product. But 500gflops is still a possible scenario, but far from the best case now.

orioto

Good Art™
3 months ago active cooling was just a thing present in the first devkit and surely not in the final product. But 500gflops is still a possible scenario, but far from the best case now.

Even with rumors of bad battery, meaning they are probably trying to underclock the tegra to make it tolerable ?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even with rumors of bad battery, meaning they are probably trying to underclock the tegra to make it tolerable ?

Bad battery would rather point towards better performance, no? Anyhow, bad battery in the devkit says nothing.

Edit: and what performance do you want to estimate: the one on battery or the one plugged in?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Android.....lol

Games running in a Java VM with very little low level API access to speak of. It's a miracle so many of them turn out so well.
I don't think there's even a single footage of a Vulkan game or tech demo running on any Tegra chip.

I wouldn't complain to much about bad battery performance. The way I see it, I wouldn't be surprised if under the circumstances that this sells well, that they release a superior model somewhere down the line that allows for better gaming performance and a superior battery ala the 3DS-->n3DS.

-shadow-

I'm just glad that Nintendo is finally dumping the Gecko/Gamecube microarchitecture. It's been what, 15 years? Sheesh.
September 2001 was the release in Japan. So yeah, 15 years now. Honestly this is really amazing that they've managed that long on a single design. Can't imagine how much money they ended up saving for the Wii because of this. And how much they've wasted for the WiiU later on.

Wasnt the WiiU also under clocked in the months leading up to the finalisation of the system? Would they really make the same mistake twice in a row? The CPU ended up being the biggest problem with both 3DS and the WiiU and even Iwata mentioned at some point they themselves were limited by it.

Philippo

We know Dragon Quest XI is coming. We know the engine support is there. Publishers may see value in releasing portable versions of AAA console games. The conditions are ripe for it, but we'll have to wait and see for confirmation.

It all depends on the deals that Nintendo made with the third parties and how much the third parties believe there will be a market for those games on Switch. Of course, if it's cheap to port them, that might help a bit.

Thanks, but i was talking more on the tech side rather than the marketing deals one.
Is the Swift powerful enough to handle ports of those kind of AAA games?
Maybe it's just my mind that can't wrap around it, but i can't imagine current-gen games to run on a portable machine without melting it lol

Roo

Well its more like rumors/leaks if anything. But a couple of sources have said its easy to develop games for and port from PS4/Xbone. It supports Unity and Unreal Engine 4 as well.

http://wccftech.com/rumor-nintendo-nx-power-closest-xbox-run-ps4xo-games-modification/
Oh, yeah. I read that article some time ago. I thought you meant new comments about it after it was revealed.

I still think third party support is going to be a problem for Nintendo but now that Epic officially supports the console with Unreal Engine 4 and others such as Unity are widely available there should be less excuses when it comes to port stuff to Switch.

Cerium

Thanks, but i was talking more on the tech side rather than the marketing deals one.
Maybe it's just my mind that can't wrap around it, but i can't imagine current-gen games to run on a portable machine without melting it lol

We can't tell for sure without knowing clockspeed etc.

Wait for the games direct. If there are ports coming we'll surely see some then.

G.ZZZ

Bad battery (and again, with those specs and what this is actually running, "bad" is mislabel) is an issue for mobile mode. But a fan in the console hint strongly at the console going at full or near full clock in docked mode, else they'd go for just lower clocks and passive cooling, like the Pixel C which also is a Tegra X1 and run only passive cooling with a peak clock of 850 Mhz (about 400 Gflops).

120v

out of my ass speculation... but considering most current AAA titles can be played on relatively low end PCs i think it's possible here and there.

in terms of what's strictly possible, if you look like cross gen titles like MGSV and Tomb Raider on the 360 it's definitely doable but it's a long shot anybody's going to go the extra mile to optimize like that

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
We can't tell for sure without knowing clockspeed etc.

Wait for the games direct. If there are ports coming we'll surely see some then.

"the games direct" *sigh* I can't wait for it!

Yeah. Hard to believe they've been messing with GameCube-related hardware for essentially half of their time as a console manufacturer.
Philippo said:
We don't have enough solid info yet, really. In many cases it might be feasible, but not without technical compromises. How extensive those are, we really don't know enough yet. But just as Xbone games might lack compared to PS4 versions, Switch is probably another step or two down yet.

RAM is another big unknown. If it had RAM to match PS4/Xbone but worse processors, then we might imagine a theoretical scenario where most games could be made to load and run with few changes but at an awful frame rate. If it's got significantly less RAM then that's another thing they've got to put more work into cutting back the use of.

v1oz

Does anyone know of good resources to learn more about this highly technical stuff? Not necessarily limited to Switch, but technical gaming discussion in general? All I can think of are these kinds of GAF threads and Digital Foundry.
Beyond3d forums

lenovox1

And there's nothing inherently wrong with using a mature architecture. Nintendo and IBM had just been making slow technical advancements with it relative to the competition.

MDave

Android.....lol

Games running in a Java VM with very little low level API access to speak of. It's a miracle so many of them turn out so well.

MGR is more of a CPU heavy game then it is GPU because it was designed for PS360 that had plenty of CPU performance. How well do the ARM cores compare to those last gen consoles? It's amazing it goes through so many hoops and layers of abstraction and runs as well as it does.

Schnozberry

MGR is more of a CPU heavy game then it is GPU because it was designed for PS360 that had plenty of CPU performance. How well do the ARM cores compare to those last gen consoles? It's amazing it goes through so many hoops and layers of abstraction and runs as well as it does.

A57 cores, if that's what was used, are better than Jaguar clock for clock, but it will depend on clock speed how it competes with the Xbox 360 CPU. They were clocked high and have very good SIMD engines. Revengeance didn't perform especially well on the PS3 or 360 either, so it may not have been very well optimized to begin with if it was a 360 port.

antonz

MGR and such were outsourced ports with little effort. ARM cores can actually be very good. I mean the what that has been stated on Switch is its CPU is noticeably better than what is in PS4/XBO.

Throw in Android being a CPU hog and well you end up with those results. Switch will benefit greatly from a ground up OS designed in cooperation with Nvidia for maximum gaming performance.

ozfunghi

Ok, let me try. fp16 and fp32 are both floating-point formats - fractional numbers are stored in those, but also computations are done in those formats. The formats differ by their range and precision - and while the range is not so interesting (it's usually more than enough), precision-wise fp32 has 24 bits of precision, while fp16 has 11 bits of precision. Generally, in fractional computations higher precision is better, but there's a saturation point for many computations where if you further increase the precision nothing will change in the end result. There's also the thing that since the ultimate result of those computations are pictures on a screen, you also get some allowable error margin thanks to the human vision - the eye/brain combination may not pick the tiny error that some decreasing the precision might have introduced. Add to that the fact that those pictures are normally fast moving, and that allowable error margin only increases further.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, for a very long time fp24 (17 bits of precision) was deemed sufficient for all pixel-shading purposes, and that changed only when the industry decided to go unified shaders.

On average, what would the fp16/32 ratio be for graphically demanding games? At fp32, the TX1 is capable of 0.5TF. So if say 1/3rd of instructions runs on fp16, that means an equivalent of 0.66TF, for instance, right?

Schnozberry

On average, what would the fp16/32 ratio be for graphically demanding games? At fp32, the TX1 is capable of 0.5TF. So if say 1/3rd of instructions runs on fp16, that means an equivalent of 0.66TF, for instance, right?

The advantage the the Tegra in the Switch has over AMD in this regard is that Nvidia Shader Processors can handle two FP16 instructions per clock cycle, whereas the older AMD architectures in the PS4 and Xbox One have to emulate FP16 calculations at higher precision, taking up an entire clock cycle and not gaining any performance.

In terms of FP16/32 support in games, it seems to be a crapshoot depending on the engine used and the construction of the scene.

The advantage the the Tegra in the Switch has over AMD in this regard is that Nvidia Shader Processors can handle two FP16 instructions per clock cycle, whereas the older AMD architectures in the PS4 and Xbox One have to emulate FP16 calculations at higher precision, taking up an entire clock cycle and not gaining any performance.

In terms of FP16/32 support in games, it seems to be a crapshoot depending on the engine used and the construction of the scene.

Now the PS4 Pro does double FP16.

ozfunghi

That's why i asked "on average" what to expect, for games like CoD, AC, etc. I understand the advantages/disadvantages of fp16/32. That's why i asked if my reasoning was correct. If 1/3rd of instructions runs at fp16, that you "gain" 166GF assuming the chip is capable of 500GF at fp32. If it's evenly split, you gain 250GF for a total of 750.

guek

Banned

That rumor also says

It has a wireless HDMI dongle that attaches flush to the back of the device. A user can pull it out and insert it into any display with a normal sized HDMI output and the devices uses an evolved version of the Wii U’s streaming tech to display in HD to the TV screen.

which looks to be false.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
At first read the majority of that sounded like bullshiy outside Nintendo getting a good deal on the chips due to previous deal that went tits up. The part about software support is confirmed so maybe more of it is legit, despite it still sounding very much like a fanboys set dream

I'm sure you're right to an extent, but we can assume that Nvidia was willing to take far lower margins than they're used to, like with any console project. So like you said, some elements of truth, but maybe with a little bullshit too.

Also, as for an incentive that's not talked about to go with the big N, well, Nintendo is no stranger to plastering their CPU/GPU venders on the boxes (GameCube and Wii, both on the retail box and the hardware itself) so Nvidia could get some huge advertising from this that Microsoft (IIRC) and Sony (definitely) didn't provide them. Also, I do think their pride was hurt that they didn't get the 3DS contract and were subsequently shunned by both Sony and MS this gen. Now they'll be right back in the game with a member of the big three.

Its pretty easy to port from x86 to ARM isn't it?

ARM for Android emulates extremely well on x86 using BlueStacks so I assume so. Of course nothihg will be emulated, but I think the code is simpler. I'm not familiar with this stuff though. Just a guess.

Schnozberry

That's why i asked "on average" what to expect, for games like CoD, AC, etc. I understand the advantages/disadvantages of fp16/32. That's why i asked if my reasoning was correct. If 1/3rd of instructions runs at fp16, that you "gain" 166GF assuming the chip is capable of 500GF at fp32. If it's evenly split, you gain 250GF for a total of 750.

I don't think the gains will be anywhere linear like that, but it will provide a huge efficiency and performance boost for games that make heavy use of FP16. I believe Frostbite and UE4 on mobile already do, so perhaps those engines would make more sense than the full fat versions for something like the Switch.

Schnozberry

Would a Tegra GPU also have Nvidia exclusive features like physx available?

Yes, it should be compatible will all of the Nvidia proprietary tech. They made specific mention of physics tools in their press release. I'm interested to see how much of the tools for the Geforce Cards like Multi Res Shading and Nvidia specific low cost anti-aliasing methods made it over.

Top Bottom