• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

jmizzal

Goddamn it you tickled my hype nerve. I've been beating that one down bit by bit.

That being said, XCX came out April 2015 in Japan, so that'll be near two years between XCX release and Switch reveal. Two years is a pretty good chunk of dev time, especially since it sounded like a lot of the time that Monolith Soft spent on XCX was due to adapting to HD. Maybe E3 2017 teaser?

Yea next Monolith Soft game shouldnt take as long now since WiiU to Switch isnt a huge leap, like Wii to WiiU going to HD.

They can prob use a lot of the assets from X and just improve on them

ekurisona

BTW, while we are talking about the software lineup, does anyone interested in hearing more about DQ11? I think it will be shown at Jump Festa (17th and 18th December) which is before the Switch Presentation. I am really excited about it.

i am, jim. 40 hours into DQ7 right now - my first DQ game.

some things to hold you over...

DQ 30th Anniversary Museum
https://youtu.be/o4bq48lkpvo

Iwata Asks w Yuji Horii
https://youtu.be/KHdew7VY0MA
https://youtu.be/CvcUwd-NmDQ
https://youtu.be/fzSW9JIFJpQ
https://youtu.be/wgsmOFLNNIo
https://youtu.be/Ff_1GoQoSzI
https://youtu.be/l1Tz-XlQSD4
https://youtu.be/V0pW27YhiR4
https://youtu.be/ndGwCqPU0is

Early DQ History
https://youtu.be/sglKS-HfZMw

Yea next Monolith Soft game shouldnt take as long now since WiiU to Switch isnt a huge leap, like Wii to WiiU going to HD.

I'm more interested in a XC remaster from the wii to current gen. That would be glorious.

I suspect this is going to be the amazingest launch lineup for a console ever. I can feel it in my bone.
I'll say it'll be the greatest launch lineup ever. I'm not pessimistic in any way, shape or form. It's going to be amazing and I expect to be blown away by the games shown at the January conference.

I'll say it'll be the greatest launch lineup ever. I'm not pessimistic in any way, shape or form. It's going to be amazing and I expect to be blown away by the games shown at the January conference.
Yeah coming off the Wii U they're gonna push this super hard.
Also, the reason they gave for the delay to March was to get the software ready for launch.

Terrell

Breath of the Wild will be profitable at two million units sold

Nintendo are the masters of reasonable AAA budgeting.

JESUS.

that's insane

everyone else needs to take notes

though I guess it helps to be a gen behind when it comes to tech. I'm not sure if anyone else could get away with that besides Nintendo.

Ehhh, devs were running crazy-ass budgets in the 360/PS3 era, too, so I don't think "lower tech" is really something that detracts from the achievement.

that's insane

everyone else needs to take notes

though I guess it helps to be a gen behind when it comes to tech. I'm not sure if anyone else could get away with that besides Nintendo.

It's less about the tech being old and more about being so efficient with the tech you choose to work with you can basically make a miracle with a third the amount of a typical big budget AAA development staff.

Cerium

Which game had the bigger budget: Xenoblade Chronicles or Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Edit: Is what ShockingAlberto said threadworthy?

He confirmed Xenoblade 3 for Switch and that it would be "As ambitious as Xenoblade X" so yeah I would definitely call that threadworthy.

This Zelda number is stunning, especially if you think about the development of a new engine for it... 2 millions should be easily achievable. If its indeed a launch title for Switch, it won't take long, all new HD Zelda on the go? Who wouldnt want that?

I mean...it'll get that much on Day 1 minimum. Highly praised at E3, highly desired by fans. It will presumably launch with Switch.

And however many stragglers and doubledippers get it on the Wii U.

Not like I'm saying the numbers will match but I'm betting the Wii U versions sales will not be unsubstantial.

Zedark

Still must be of the highest budgets for a Nintendo title. 2 million copies means at least 70 million $.

70 million dollar budget for probably Nintendo most expensive game currently in development, with all kinds of custom as sets that they plan to use for other games, is a lot but by no means extraordinary. It will without a doubt sell several times that amount.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
XCX felt like a tech demo with no real game around it.

This is insane. Or like a Cracked article.

You might not like it, but there is a huge amount of game in Xenoblade X. There is a very well and deep battle system and complex upgrades. Besides the main story there are hundreds of side quests, a lot of them with their own story arch or putting together story puzzle pieces. There are very well designed environments with multiple possible paths. And so on.

To say that it is a tech demo it's the most disingenuous thing I read about Xenoblade X.

Neiteio

Planet Mira is hands down one of the most incredible places I've ever visited in a videogame. By any system's standards. I would spend hours just going down the rabbit hole of breathtaking vistas and "holy shit that's a brontosaurus in Jurassic Park" moments. I felt like I was inhaling that shit, and it just kept coming, and coming, and coming. Nitpick XCX all you want, but you can't take away from it that its world was in a league all its own.

I want the next Xenoblade game to take the best of both Xenoblade games.

Music and story from Xenoblade Chronicles and the open world and side quests of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Like I absolutely loved both worlds, but man flying around Mira in Skells felt so good.

Planet Mira is hands down one of the most incredible places I've ever visited in a videogame. By any system's standards. I would spend hours just going down the rabbit hole of breathtaking vistas and "holy shit that's a brontosaurus in Jurassic Park" moments. I felt like I was inhaling that shit, and it just kept coming, and coming, and coming. Nitpick XCX all you want, but you can't take away from it that its world was in a league all its own.

This. I've been gaming for 33 years, and it was the first time a virtual world felt really alive to me. The 300+ hours I've spent in X were the best hours I've ever spent in gaming.

skypunch

Banned
I just hope the next Xenoblade is devoid of Sawano's music. That would be the biggest megaton for me.

Get Mitsuda back on Xeno, or ACE+. Anyone but Sawano.

pq7Qwf8.jpg

Wow, there are lots of videos I need to watch. Thanks!

I want the next Xenoblade game to take the best of both Xenoblade games.

Music and story from Xenoblade Chronicles and the open world and side quests of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Like I absolutely loved both worlds, but man flying around Mira in Skells felt so good.

YES!

Andyliini

So, now this thread became an anticipation thread for next Monolith Soft project? Not that I complain, MonolithSoft became my favorite developer with Xenoblade Chronicles, and X only strenghtened that feeling. I have also enjoyed many of their side-games, such as Disaster: Day of Crisis and Project X Zone -games.

My dream is still that Nintenco collaborates with Namco and brings Xenosaga Trilogy to Switch, maybe even completely remade by MonolithSoft. As European, it has been difficult to play most of MonolitSoft's games, doe to obvious reasons.

Dang0

I just hope the next Xenoblade is devoid of Sawano's music. That would be the biggest megaton for me.

Get Mitsuda back on Xeno, or ACE+. Anyone but Sawano.

Y3qaOry.jpg

While I generally like Sawano's music, I don't feel he's a good fit for a game like Xenoblade. I'd love to hear him do a soundtrack for a Platinum game,where his bombast style would shine, but I want Mitsuda back for Xenoblade 3.

So, now this thread became an anticipation thread for next Monolith Soft project? Not that I complain, MonolithSoft became my favorite developer with Xenoblade Chronicles, and X only strenghtened that feeling. I have also enjoyed many of their side-games, such as Disaster: Day of Crisis and Project X Zone -games.

My dream is still that Nintenco collaborates with Namco and brings Xenosaga Trilogy to Switch, maybe even completely remade by MonolithSoft. As European, it has been difficult to play most of MonolitSoft's games, doe to obvious reasons.

I want Monolith to remake both Xenogear and Xenosaga trilogy. Takahashi has much larger control on his projects now than that in the past, I think he can make use his autonomy to revise both games. Of course, if he wants to make new game, I am not complaining, and I will happily pay for it.

skypunch

Banned
While I generally like Sawano's music, I don't feel he's a good fit for a game like Xenoblade. I'd love to hear him do a soundtrack for a Platinum game,where his bombast style would shine, but I want Mitsuda back for Xenoblade 3.

Agree with you there in regards to Sawano. I would be ecstatic if Mitsuda was confirmed for Xenoblade 3.

Just imagine tracks like this for the next game:

http://youtu.be/VW4-Pr-4VFk

http://youtu.be/kV-j7elCiE4

http://youtu.be/t57dJRA9GW8

*drools*

Hit the nail on the head..

Tech demo? Must havent played the game, that game feels like a full blown natrual moving world. I aint even finish it but im probably bout to jump back in now. One of those games that you play and you stay getting suprised and amazed. So many times I sat down just watching the vistas.

maxcriden

For launch window, I sure hope so. Launch at, I'll be happy with Zelda and I expect at least one of the Wii U ports that day, so, I'll keep my expectations low otherwise but I don't play to play anything Zelda so I'm good either way. They need a great diverse launch and launch window lineup for sure.

BTW, my theory for the name of the Mario game, if they dont go with Mario switch, is Mario Fiesta.

I bet Switch games only have Stereo or Dolby Digital compressed audio tracks, along with compressed FMV etc just like last gen.

This should decrease game size significantly. I doubt there are too many games that are 40GB+ like on the other platforms, if any at all.

So yeah, I can see 16GB carts being the standard for many games, with some requiring a 32GB cart. Throw in a good file and patching system and the microSD only 'limitation' should be fine.

This is insane. Or like a Cracked article.

You might not like it, but there is a huge amount of game in Xenoblade X. There is a very well and deep battle system and complex upgrades. Besides the main story there are hundreds of side quests, a lot of them with their own story arch or putting together story puzzle pieces. There are very well designed environments with multiple possible paths. And so on.

To say that it is a tech demo it's the most disingenuous thing I read about Xenoblade X.

I don't know exactly what he meant by "tech demo" but the way I took it was that XCX was full of so many systems and so much content that the core experience kinda suffered for it. It was almost like they created as many gameplay systems as possible to essentially showcase the world, but didn't flesh them out enough to make them feel focused. I got way too overwhelmed very quickly and sorta lost interest in trying to wrap my head around all of it.

That's my opinion anyway. A more focused game would be more welcome in the future.

maxcriden

There's been some confusion regarding the mario shown in the switch video. Can you confirm if it's a real game or not?

Wait why wouldn't it be from a real game? Are people actually thinking it's not a real game?

Yeah, there has been some speculation that Mario is a tech demo or footage created for the reveal. Honorio, I'm not the person you asked, but FWIW I believe we have significant indication the Mario footage shown is from a real game in development:

(1) Miyamoto-san's comments at E3 indicated a new kind of Mario game was in development and we might seen more on it next E3. Seeing footage of it now is earlier than expected, but this does re-confirm such a game is in development (surely no surprise) and it's reasonable to think the timetable for showing any of it moved up a bit, or that Miyamoto-san was just being intentionally vague about when it would be shown.

(2) Eurogamer leaked before the reveal video debuted that part of the reason for the delay of the reveal was that they wanted to get Mario in tip top shape for showing off footage. I personally believe if it was for a tech demo that to begin with doesn't seem outwardly a massive leap beyond 3DW in the footage shown, they wouldn't necessarily delay it on that account. Plus, the footage just not being some massive improvement over (the already gorgeous) 3DW makes a tech demo seem less likely.

(3) As another poster pointed out--James ascott, I think--typically tech demos use familiar locations to show off the significant difference in the tech on display with a familiar point of reference. That's what we've seen with the GCN and Wii U Zelda tech demos, for example. On the contrary, this footage appeared to show Mario in a brand-new Latin -inspired setting. Therefore, it seems unlikely in this respect also that this is a tech demo.

Waji

Xenoblade X was a "tech demo" in a way, yes. But not in the the way we think.

Takahashi said they were having a hard time with the project, the move to HD and so on.
They were also recruiting people, training them (and themselves) during years until recently.

They decided to change the project and removed the main characters as well as most of the Story stuff (you can see a good part of it in the Japanese artbook). The hero shown here (which is probably also the "hero" mentionned in the game, appeared in the early teasers with Elma.
But considering how hard it would have been to do this whole thing right, they took the open world/univers building path to create this interesting (to say the least) game that is X. So we could say Xenoblade on Wii was also a "tech demo" to what Takahashi wants to create. The first, for balance, the second for the the technique. More or less.

Between the release of X (let's say a few month before, since Monolith finished it obviously before it gets in production phase and so on) and the January Switch presentation, we have 2 years gap.
Then, considering they have huge experience with HD now, bulding this also huge world completely open. They tried to work on some event scenes also but kept it to a minimum.

So it's highly likely they're already quite advanced in this new Rpg they are working on. Of course nothing official says all this, but considering how all of the teasers/interview and so on, kept showing stuff that made sense, it also makes sense that we might be introduced to a really promising Rpg from them soon enough.

Now for January, it all depends on the way Nintendo wants to advertise the Switch.
If they go all out to really make people want to buy it, they should show some future games and what's better to build hype than an amazing Monolith Soft trailer, nothing (for me obviously).

I see an early 2018 release in Japan or something like that. Wonder if they would/could go worldwide this time. But I'm buying the Japanese version anyway, so whatever...

I hope they consider a RPG with online elements like a Destiny or Monster Hunter. I think some individual story that can be played cooperatively with others, or side raids for XP and loot would be great.

Top Bottom