• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

It exists, don't know if it will be shown at the reveal.

Exact words to me were "as ambitious as Xenoblade X was."
XCX felt like a tech demo with no real game around it. A new game with what they've learned is going to be amazing, likely the studio @ Nintendo to look out for
probably more than RETRO

Malus

58227496.jpg

May Monolithsoft be ever prosperous.

XCX felt like a tech demo with no real game around it. A new game with what they've learned is going to be amazing, likely the studio @ Nintendo to look out for
probably more than RETRO

Whaaaaaaaaaaat there's game galore in XCX. Maybe not to everyone's taste but still. I can criticize XCX all day but tech demo definitely doesn't spring to mind.

probably more than RETRO

I agree about XCX. The scale was obviously impressive both in the size of the world and the amount of features but as a whole it felt very unfocused. Excited to see what they'll do with superior hardware.

GamerJM

Banned

I....honestly don't know if this is a good thing?

I feel like Monolith is probably at their best when they scale things back and work on perfecting the battle systems, stories, and music in their games. IMO the size, scale, and ambition worked to the detriment of both Xenoblade games. I'd probably be down for trying another one out though as long as it doesn't build further in the way of XCX's structure. The original with the battle system and world of X would probably be a genuinely great RPG to me and I feel like they'll sort of work towards that with the feedback they get from X.

Malus

Game developer is developing new game.

Yep.

And I couldn't be more excited :D

I....honestly don't know if this is a good thing?

I feel like Monolith is probably at their best when they scale things back and work on perfecting the battle systems, stories, and music in their games. IMO the size, scale, and ambition worked to the detriment of both Xenoblade games. I'd probably be down for trying another one out though as long as it doesn't build further in the way of XCX's structure. The original with the battle system and world of X would probably be a genuinely great RPG to me and I feel like they'll sort of work towards that with the feedback they get from X.

The scale resulted in some warts to be sure, but the tradeoff being that they created some of the most memorable worlds in gaming imo. More than worth it.

The big issue with Xenoblade X is the focus on sidequests over main story. They just don't have the budget/team size/whatever to flesh out the mountains of sidequests they attempted in X, and what was left of the main story was a mess. The cutscene quality dramatically deteriorated as a result of trying to do so much. Just create a nice epic world with a strong main story Monolithsoft, I know you can do it. Seems like that's the direction they're gonna go in anyways so I'm ready.

There are some things I hope they keep from X, like the traversal options. Exploration was much more interesting in X.

What's happening there?

The article is just a guy bitching about the Switch, and a lot of the comments in the thread talk about how the Switch is gonna fail or how great it would be if Nintendo gave up on hardware and just became a software developer. The usual.

Speely

Banned
I have a feeling that the launch window reveals are going to be pretty noteworthy. All things considered, it's hard to imagine them being lackluster at this point.

MomoQca

Which game had the bigger budget: Xenoblade Chronicles or Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Edit: Is what ShockingAlberto said threadworthy?

sanstesy

That whole GAF thread made me feel pretty down, man. I was in a pretty good mood today until I read those comments...

You shouldn't be down about console wars on NeoGAF, which that thread at its core is save for a very few posts. Biased hardcore gamers arguing on a hardcore gamer forum shouldn't be taken at any face value applicable to the real world.

Wait why wouldn't it be from a real game? Are people actually thinking it's not a real game?

Everyone from the development partners list is making at least one game. It was the same as with Wii U and 3DS, just a much larger list this time.

I have no doubt that it is a new game, the new assets give it away in my opinion. But there's been some posters on the threads about the game that are doubting it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling that the launch window reveals are going to be pretty noteworthy. All things considered, it's hard to imagine them being lackluster at this point.

It's hard to say. I expect launch and immediately after to be a little barren if for no other reason than they really need Zelda to do gangbusters since it's been in development hell for years and the budget has to be crazy at this point.

May on? Yeah, they better have some crazy stuff shown ASAP with the concern people will have after the Wii, Wii U and 3DS post launch droughts. Even I as a pretty big Nintendo fan need to be sold on buying early vs. playing Zelda on Wii U and waiting a year or two on Switch.

Speely

Banned
Which game had the bigger budget: Xenoblade Chronicles or Xenoblade Chronicles X?

Edit: Is what ShockingAlberto said threadworthy?

Nah, let's let ShockingAlberto operate low-key and not invite a bunch of caustic attention to them. That's how stuff devolves into bickering.

I have no doubt that it is a new game, the new assets give it away in my opinion. But there's been some posters on the threads about the game that are doubting it.

Err... Then what do they think it is, if not a new game? It looks nothing like 3DW, and the visuals are a lot nicer.

I'm not directing that at you btw, you've said you know it's a new game haha I'm just kinda flabbergasted that there are people doubting it.

Spinluck

So glad Nintendo is doing a press conference for this.

Wii U was one of the most underwhelming console reveals ever lol.

Wonder if we'd still be getting a huge conference if Iwata was alive. I'd have to imaginw we would have and that this was probably planned quite a while back.

Really excited about the new Monolith game. I love both XC and XCX, so I don't care what they are making. Just announce the game and I will be ready to pay for it.

BTW, while we are talking about the software lineup, does anyone interested in hearing more about DQ11? I think it will be shown at Jump Festa (17th and 18th December) which is before the Switch Presentation. I am really excited about it.

Instro

So glad Nintendo is doing a press conference for this.

Wii U was one of the most underwhelming console reveals ever lol.

Wonder if we'd still be getting a huge conference if Iwata was alive. I'd have to imaginw we would have and that this was probably planned quite a while back.

WiiU's reveal was awful, and then they followed it up with a equally awful re-reveal the next E3. Hard to imagine what they where thinking with that console lol.

WiiU's reveal was awful, and then they followed it up with a equally awful re-reveal the next E3. Hard to imagine what they where thinking with that console lol.

Ha, remember when the gamepad initially had circle pads instead of proper analogue sticks?

Wii_U_controller_E3_2011.png

I could not believe my eyes when I first saw that in 2011. At least they did update the design by 2012 to be slightly more presentable however.

GamerJM

Banned
The scale resulted in some warts to be sure, but the tradeoff being that they created some of the most memorable worlds in gaming imo. More than worth it.

The big issue with Xenoblade X is the focus on sidequests over main story. They just don't have the budget/team size/whatever to flesh out the mountains of sidequests they attempted in X, and what was left of the main story was a mess. The cutscene quality dramatically deteriorated as a result of trying to do so much. Just create a nice epic world with a strong main story Monolithsoft, I know you can do it. Seems like that's the direction they're gonna go in anyways so I'm ready.

There are some things I hope they keep from X, like the traversal options. Exploration was much more interesting in X.

Keep in mind that I was mostly expressing my opinion. I don't play games to explore interesting worlds, I play them to engage in mechanics/design and experience compelling stories.
I get that the Xenoblade games aren't really for me but I keep playing them anyways.
X was basically unplayable to me after 10 or so hours in because I have dyspraxia and I couldn't explore the world without getting disoriented every few minutes.

I still remember how stunned people were with the "firework display" that Nintendo chose to end with in 2012. In some sense it's no surprise that we haven't seen an E3 conference (or conference at all?) since then. It was just that awful and shocking

https://youtu.be/e1dUDq74cHo?t=4167

Takahashi said he would focus on story more in their next Xenoblade game and he took feedback from XCX. I loved XCX, but there were some things not as good in it compared to the first one.

I completely trust him and I know I'll love whatever he comes out with. I would jump through the roof if they showed it at the reveal because I'm not expecting to see it at all.

Malus

Well, there was this thread from earlier this year, so...get excited?

Damn Takahashi is a good hype man. "A more heated and exceptional story." "I'm finally standing on the start line." "I want to create a game with an exceptional scenario."

I like the comment about wanting to experiment with different settings. Can't wait to see what those crazy people think up.

Pretty interesting that Nintendo of America feels the need to emphasize it as a "home" gaming system.

Are they referring to it as a home console in Japan too?

This, sadly, is my number 1 wish. My PS3 died in September, and I preferred P4Golden to P3FES, and it being portable was a big part of it.

Yep. Played through 3 and 4 portably. Playing in bed at night was the ideal way to do it. The games are such a bug time-sink and that makes it so much easier. I'll keep my fingers crossed that Atlas being on the list might eventually mean that, though I know there's a huge amount of other properties that are probably more likely.

Top Bottom