• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

I hope you are right but being skeptic is pretty understandable
And the hybrid concept to me should be aimed in addressing exactly that issue
So far from games rumored, confirmed, previewed and from the marketing positioning I am getting a bad vibe

Of course you are.

I think trying to speculate with the line up with the games shown on the teaser is adventurous at best. After Jan12 we can bedwet if we want to, but right now is not the time.

So far from games rumored, confirmed, previewed and from the marketing positioning I am getting a bad vibe

What would give you a good vibe?

Toparaman

Banned
Can someone who has a Twitter account do me a favor?

Please ask Emily Rogers if she expects save data to be transferable from the Wii U versions of MK8/Smash to the Switch versions, and if so, how the transfer would work.

I want to sell my Wii U, so I'm hoping the method of transferring would be via save data on an SD card, and not some weird sync-up between the Wii U and the Switch.

Please ask Emily Rogers if she expects save data to be transferable from the Wii U versions of MK8/Smash to the Switch versions, and if so, how the transfer would work.

I want to sell my Wii U, so I'm hoping the method of transferring would be via save data on an SD card, and not some weird sync-up between the Wii U and the Switch.

Almost no chance.

PtM

Banned

You can't move shit to the SD card.

MoonFrog

The teaser wasn't about games, it was about the hardware only.

IntSys had no hand in making TMS#FE (for the purposes of this topic). That was all ATLUS. Color Splash, Pushmo World and Game & Wario are their HD efforts.

Yeah the teaser disquieted me, especially with the surrounding language that Switch is a home console, because it showed Nintendo games and what I take Nintendo to think big western games to be, one of which is going on 5 years old, and then the talk after the teaser was that these games might not even come to the system. It was incredibly weird and I hope it was not signalling what sort of system the Switch is setting itself up to be. Couple that with plausible denials from the likes of Level 5, limited outward signs of support from other Japanese companies outside of Enix-side SE, and it is worrisome. I also get that Nintendo was not speaking to me, that Nintendo was not trying to prove the space for Switch exists in the market or to tell me the games I like will continue to exist, but rather trying to tell non-informed consumers that they can now play pretty Nintendo games and tent pole western games at home or on the go and moreover play them together.

The thing is: I'm not at a place with Nintendo or with the market that I can just believe that behind this rhetoric, there is also, obviously, what I want. Switch is currently rumored to have poor battery life (could just be dev kit), has a large, less portable form factor, is HD (so less of a draw to third parties as the cheaper option; longer development times), and will be releasing as an install base 0 console at a time much deeper into the reign of mobile than 3DS did, etc. It needs a convincing catalog to combat that; I think Nintendo realizes that (the new marketing stuff with the face buttons), but I really want evidence that Nintendo not just knows about it but is doing something about it. Classic Nintendo first party leads the way, third parties will follow in our wake, advertising coupled with strange western game advertising does not inspire much confidence in this regard.

As to HD: My main question is how much does HD knowledge gained in PM bleed into the next FE project? Are the teams the same? Do they share technical staff, techniques, engines? Etc. Same thing with third party developers. On top of this, for third parties, there is the question as to how this changes the value proposition of developing for Nintendo. If third parties adopt a wait and see approach, the concern is that they will put in too little, too late (especially with HD extending the pipeline) and their caution will create the conditions, which make it seem wise in retrospect. Again, I really want Nintendo to be mustering support actively for the device. There already was a huge drop off in support between DS and 3DS. There might well be another drop off. Nintendo needs to limit that as much as they can, while also using the hybrid functionality and the specs to bring in as much PS4/XBOne support as they can (with cross-gen Japanese games being the lowest hanging fruit).

Moreover, Nintendo has a proven audience for the games on 3DS and I think their console relatives could do fine on Switch too. Pushing western games that have a dubious audience on a Nintendo is just strange. Those are riskier gambles as to continued support. Nintendo, imo, needs to get the thing as a successful portable in Japan to have a healthy continuous development community around it and then hope to cultivate connections to western developers off of the install base numbers that gets them.

Or maybe, Skyrim on the go sells it all and I'm a complete fool but these are where my worries lie and why the teaser and information and positioning around it make me fear for the device.

And again, I realize it was not the teaser's point to answer my concerns, but it multiplied them.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If they will use this particular space for the presentation I do not know, but here's anyway a photo of the International Conference Room of Tokyo Big Sight:

inter_naz2ur3.png

Conference Room
The International Conference Room seats 1,000 people. It has a 250 inch-high-definition video projector and the audio-visual and lighting systems. The International Conference Room offers simultaneous interpretation system for up to eight languages.

International Conference Room
Floor Area(m2) 1,030
Ceiling Height(m) 10
Theater seating 1,000
Screen size (mm) 5,540
Source: http://www.bigsight.jp/english/organizer/facilities/conference/

Layout Guide of Conference Tower: http://www.bigsight.jp/download/public/C_layout.pdf

Overview map of Big Sight:

TheMoon

everything they've done in the last 5 years has been in service of addressing that issue. merging handheld/console divisions, restructuring the whole company...

Your question is a bit too specific, nevermind the fact that you can't get save data off of your Wii U at all.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Of course you are.

So what?

I think trying to speculate with the line up with the games shown on the teaser is adventurous at best. After Jan12 we can bedwet if we want to, but right now is not the time.

What would give you a good vibe?

an actual sign of better streaming of games coming to the console, merging the Best but few games from the home console side with the many games, first and third, coming from the japanese handheld side with a proper tech jump from the usual effort

basically, Mario & luigi, fire emblem, Pokemon, mh, ace attorney, atlus and level 5 games merged with Zelda, monolith games, pikmin and other home games.
not at launch nor in the first months but announced and confirmed in development
an actual confirmation that the hybrid actually IS a hybrid

everything they've done in the last 5 years has been in service of addressing that issue. merging handheld/console divisions, restructuring the whole company...

Your question is a bit too specific, nevermind the fact that you can't get save data off of your Wii U at all.

And still we have to see confirmation of all this
The rumored games and the preview video point in another dieection

basically, Mario & luigi, fire emblem, Pokemon, mh, ace attorney, atlus and level 5 games merged with Zelda, monolith games, pikmin and other home games.

I wonder why you are so worried about that small league games are coming to the switch?

Like, where else would they go to?

Mario and Luigi
Fire Emblem
Pokemon
Zelda
Monolith
Pikmin

Those ARE coming, and I think sooner rather than later

Ace Attorney
Atlus
Level 5

Where else can they go? Do you think we'll see an ace attorney on PS4? They are coming! Also, what do you mean about confirmation of a hybrid. You need to be more specific about your expectations, because then it's just cynism on your part.

confirmation of what? none of it is speculative. all of this happened.

He thinks Nintendo has been fucking the chicken for 2 years straight.

Nintendo on January 12th: "LOL WE'VE GOT NO NEW GAMES TO SHOW SORRY OUR BAD, ENJOY ZELDA, MARIO KART, SMASH AND SPLATOON: TOONED TOONS, BUHBYE"

flattie

I wonder if we'll hear much about pricing at this event. You'd have to assume that they will attempt to be competitive against the PS4/X1; my gut feeling says £250 (console only). Anything more would probably leave them with a tough sell on their hands.

If I had any expectations with regards to Western dev support, I'd be a little uncomfortable with a late port of an old game being part of their big reveal.

Still, I'm curious, if not entirely excited about what they've got to show. Breath of the Wild alone looks like it'll be worth the price of entry.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
confirmation of what? none of it is speculative. all of this happened.

Confirmation of the advantages and positive consequencies for the consumers?
Or we are process engineers interested in workflow analysis?
If all their reorganization leads to a lineup that in order to avoid droughts must fill the voids with wiiu ports that would be disappointing
If they merge the two lineups the sacrifices made in terms of pure hw will be worth it

Terrell

Not that I want to bring the port discussion back to the foreground, but it's a question worth asking:

What the heck are Nintendo going to price these at and how far will the enhancements go?

Personally, I see Nintendo pricing them aggressively low (somewhere in the $20-30 range depending on the extent of the enhancements, perhaps lower if you have a digital copy from Wii U), and the likelihood of a full price release is rather slim.

Precedent can be found with New Super Luigi U, a game that also re-used prior assets but fully re-designed levels, which Nintendo charged $30 for at retail and $20 for via eShop DLC for NSMBU. Nintendo does not appear to show that they view assets re-used with a full-price valuation and most consumers likely agree with them on that.

As for the enhancements, that's likely going to vary by game. MK8 will definitely get more racers and likely get either get additional tracks/cups, the battle mode people actually want to see or both. Splatoon I imagine will see the return of Splatfests, more customization options for characters and more maps. Smash, in my mind, will have the fewest additions and simply roll the DLC into the primary package.

And in lieu of the physical bundle discussion, one option that I had never considered til now was this: buy the console, take it home, go online and "Congrats on your purchase, please choose one of the following enhanced Wii U titles as our gift to you."

MoonFrog

I think Switch, if it can pull good balance of specs to portability as a hybrid, is exactly the device Nintendo needs and frankly Japan in general needs. That's part of why it is frustrating to be on tenterhooks as to whether Nintendo can and will pull it off. I'd much rather just be quietly optimistic about Nintendo's future and sort of assume things will be just fine with Switch but Nintendo doesn't inspire confidence these past couple years and they drop a teaser, which is completely tone deaf to the potential of their device and spend all their time spinning it as exactly what it should not be (successor to Wii U) and explicitly not what it should be (successor to 3DS). Ugh. I really hope January 12th puts all these fears to rest.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Y'all are so clueless.

They're gonna launch this baby with Code Name S.T.E.A.M. HD and Metroid Prime Federation Force HD and it'll do gangbusters. People the world over will finally appreciate these two gems and all will be well.
Aye!

Roo

Rösti;223258923 said:
If they will use this particular space for the presentation I do not know, but here's anyway a photo of the International Conference Room of Tokyo Big Sight:

inter_naz2ur3.png

Source: http://www.bigsight.jp/english/organizer/facilities/conference/

Layout Guide of Conference Tower: http://www.bigsight.jp/download/public/C_layout.pdf

Overview map of Big Sight:

That is some really nice space.
The projector seems to be rather small for a room that size but I assume more screens will be available.
Really cool stuff.

TheMoon

Not that I want to bring the port discussion back to the foreground, but it's a question worth asking:

What the heck are Nintendo going to price these at and how far will the enhancements go?

Personally, I see Nintendo pricing them aggressively low (somewhere in the $20-30 range depending on the extent of the enhancements, perhaps lower if you have a digital copy from Wii U), and the likelihood of a full price release is rather slim.

*looks at WWHD/TPHD*

*shakes head at Terrell*

yo when do we get animal crossing amiibo festival hd remix that'd be the bomb

We secretly got Animal Crossing amiibo Festival 3D Remix with the ACNL update. ;)

Roo

Since Switch is basically merging both of their hardware business, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the flexible pricing approach even further. The pricing really will depend on the game's scale/budget.

In the port's cases, I don't see them being $60 but they won't be $20-30 either. $40 in the best case scenario. After all, these ports are mostly meant for people who didn't bother to get the original games in the first place.

TheMoon

*looks at TheMoon comparing SD to HD remakes to HD to HD ports as an equivalence and ignoring the other half of the post*

*shakes head at TheMoon*

from what we're hearing/seeing they're doing arguably more here now content wise. Expecting the usual $50USD/€40-50EUR.

If Splatoon comes out at launch, they should do a three-/two-day launch Splatfest. If it doesn't, they should do something similar with whatever big multiplayer game does come out at launch, like a special Mario Kart competition or whatever. Would make for a nice virtual launch party.

Terrell

from what we're hearing/seeing they're doing arguably more here now content wise. Expecting the usual $50USD/€40-50EUR.

So far we've seen hair styles in Splatoon, a new racer and option to hold 2 items in MK8, nothing has been seen of Smash. And what exactly are we hearing that leads one to believe it carries the same worth as a completely new game?

But again, NSLU was a re-done game, right down to new physics for Luigi, with entirely new levels using the same visual assets, and that only sold for $30.

So without full knowledge of the scope of the enhancements, actual recent history on asset re-use shows Nintendo not placing a lot of value on it in the market.

Never mind how hard the 8, 5 and 4 million people who bought each game respectively could look at paying another $50-60 and go "LOLno". And I think Nintendo would rather have their money along with everyone else's.

Which do you speculate being the case?
I am really curious what happens with AA now.

The series no longer justifies physical release in America. Pretty much every game gets ported to the iPhone if it comes west. Capcom has doubled down on the Japanese audience and is mostly just creating games for them now, as DGS2 tells us. AA6 was miles ahead of 5 in budget, probably because they thought the anime would flow popularity upward, but instead it sold the worst of the series in the last ten years.

Maybe it just goes mobile- or Japan-only.

ozfunghi

And in lieu of the physical bundle discussion, one option that I had never considered til now was this: buy the console, take it home, go online and "Congrats on your purchase, please choose one of the following enhanced Wii U titles as our gift to you."

Or give some credits you can use in the e-shop. Let the customer decide whether he puts it towards part of a new game, or buys MK8+/Splatoon+/Smash+ outright.

Pokemaniac

So far we've seen hair styles in Splatoon, a new racer and option to hold 2 items in MK8, nothing has been seen of Smash. And what exactly are we hearing that leads one to believe it carries the same worth as a completely new game?

But again, NSLU was a re-done game, right down to new physics for Luigi, with entirely new levels using the same visual assets, and that only sold for $30.

So without full knowledge of the scope of the enhancements, actual recent history on asset re-use shows Nintendo not placing a lot of value on it in the market.

Never mind how hard the 8, 5 and 4 million people who bought each game respectively could look at paying another $50-60 and go "LOLno". And I think Nintendo would rather have their money along with everyone else's.

I feel like I should mention that basically nothing in the Splatoon footage was taken directly from the Wii U game. The gear and weapons pretty much all had significant design tweks and even the spawn pad looked substantially different. If no one was going around saying Splatoon Switch was a port, I kind of doubt anyone would assume that's what it was.

MoonFrog

The series that don't come to Switch from 3DS probably would not have gone to any 3DS successor.

So, games that would go to a less powerful, more portable 3DS successor would go to Switch anyway? And games that won't go to Switch aren't being scared away by form factor or specs/budget concerns? Why would this be?

Is your point that some 3DS series are healthy enough and also console dependent enough that they would have to go on to Switch, whereas it is the unhealthy series, which are more independent of consoles that are going the way of mobile, whatever Nintendo does?

I do think there will be some spilled milk no matter what Nintendo does (mobile is leeching console support and market), but I have a hard time seeing Nintendo as unable to spill some more milk themselves through what they turn out with Switch.

I could see games being Switch+Mobile.
Ace Attorney is well suited for mobile, but there's also an audience willing to pay more for the game on Switch so I wouldn't see a port costing so much that it wouldn't make its money back.
I believe that's already what they're doing with Professor Layton, or should I say Lady Layton. Might also be happening with Yokai watch. The first game in its entirety is getting ported to mobile in a less than optimal way.
Would be interesting to see if the mid tier market would thrive on Nintendo Switch. I see bigger titles like Monster Hunter being suitable for it, but maybe not games like Etrian Odyssey or Bravely Default.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I am really curious what happens with AA now.

The series no longer justifies physical release in America. Pretty much every game gets ported to the iPhone if it comes west. Capcom has doubled down on the Japanese audience and is mostly just creating games for them now, as DGS2 tells us. AA6 was miles ahead of 5 in budget, probably because they thought the anime would flow popularity upward, but instead it sold the worst of the series in the last ten years.

Maybe it just goes mobile- or Japan-only.

:( x 1000

I really hope that, because Switch seems to be able to function like a tablet, Switch will continue to get AA games if they decide to focus on mobile. I also hope there continue to be localizations. AA6 left the series in a place where it could end, but I think one more game is needed to really wrap up everything. I hope we at least get AA7.

Please, Capcom.

MoonFrog

Yeah I think this is really something to be worried about when we go on about how merging the catalogs will equal robust support. Perhaps first party support, but 3DS support is shaky and not necessarily going to continue on Switch when the ideal picture is:

-All of Nintendo
-3DS support
-Vita support
-Some PS4/XBOne support, particularly Japanese, particularly lower budget, particularly crossgeneration straggling support
-Western tent pole games justified by okay install base in west (i.e. CoD, FIFA, etc.)
-Games that still do well on Wii U
-Indies

This can fall through on multiple levels and probably will to some extent. The question is how much does it fall through and how much does it obtain? Hopefully sufficiently more obtaining that falling goes on, for Switch to be something special :p.

Unless Switch bombs and we get a true 3DS successor, I think it is clear it'll get all of Nintendo's nonmobile support. 3DS conversation is what we're currently having and I've said my bit. Vita games are typically niche in audience and ambition so they could just as easily track with PS ecosystem as portable form factor. Sure home consoles are niche in Japan, so are Vita games. The opportunity for PS4/Switch releases is mostly down to how Switch performs in Japan, ease of porting, Nintendo's relationship to third parties, and how Sony reacts to it all. I think the rest speak for themselves.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

You are really comparing apples to oranges. You echo NLSU, but you don't remind yourself that it was a same hardware DLC (also released as a standalone), with zero new assets besides minor title screen / UI changes.

With the multiplayer games getting ported, packed in with the dlc?, maintaining an online server, and ostensibly updated with more contents and enhancements, it's nothing like NLSU.

ggx2ac

Considering how early on the Wii U ended up having titles moved over to the Switch (Zelda and that 3D Mario come to mind considering how apparently that Mario title is mostly finished.)

Aside from porting Wii U titles so that their development and sales potential don't go to waste, I wonder what titles have been greenlit for the Switch that isn't just a port. (And aside from whatever Retro is working on.)

Besides sequels there isn't really much to go on, unless they some good multiple games in development from the Garage project.

Top Bottom