• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation - January 12th

Not

Banned
Are we sure it'll be in a theater of some kind? That's what I'm hoping. Five years of having to get my fix of Stage Nintendo from E3 tournament events will finally be over.

HylianTom

Banned
Could be this one:

Tokyo Big Sight conference room.
13000_2_2.jpg

Man, that's really yellow and brown. Almost looks like the set of an 80s game show. I'm half-expecting Jim Perry to walk out and offer Instant Bargain sales.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Nvidia actually ported most of the big Shield only titles themselves, they have an internal dev team set up for it called Nvidia Lightspeed Studio. They ported Doom 3 BFG, Metal Gear Rising, Resident Evil 5, Half-Life 2/Ep 1-2 and Portal for example.

Are you sure Nvidia did the actual porting and weren't just advising developers? I've been rewatching a lot of videos about the Shield TV lately and in most cases it looks like the developers were the ones doing the porting. In the case of Doom 3, Borderlands and Crysis 3, it looked like id, Gearbox and Crytek did the porting.

The Eurogamer reviews of MGR & RE5 showed them perform worse than the 360 version and their speculation was that despite the fact that the Shield TV is more powerful, the developers didn't have access to the hardware like they do on consoles. They did say that Nvidia did the port of HL2, but even that had some issues.

So if the Shield TV/Tegra X1 is supposed to be more powerful than last gen consoles, why would a port from Nvidia themselves struggle to perform on par with them? Do you think these games are an accurate representation of what we can expect out of the Nintendo Switch as far as graphics/performance capability?

The platinum stuff wasn't announced during the 2013 january direct.

I'm hoping against hope for the new Monolithsoft game, unlikely as that may be.

It exists, don't know if it will be shown at the reveal.

Exact words to me were "as ambitious as Xenoblade X was."

adroit

Yay! XCX was the primary reason I bought a Wii U (I've also enjoyed several other games like Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water and Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE). Now Xenoblade 3 can be the primary reason I buy a Switch. 8D

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Will it probably be in English? Or will they have a live translator in different languages during the stream?

Actually the only thing I was alluding to was the Monolith game, but I realized I don't know for a fact it will be there.

Other than that, things I have heard exist are all bog-standard titles that aren't hard guesses/have been shown already: Mario, Splatoon, etc.

Don't know anything personally about BG&E2 but Laura Dale's getting her info from Ubi for a reason so I'd believe it.

Anth0ny

Breakdown of the 2013 Wii U Direct:

1. Bayo 2 (Previously announced in Sept 2012)
2. Wonderful 101 (Previously announced at E3 2012)
3. New Smash Bros announced
4. New 3D Mario announced
5. New Mario Kart announced
6. New Zelda announced (all four games were actually shown at E3 that year)
7. Yarn Yoshi/Good Feel Project
8. SMTxFE
9. X/Monilithsoft Project

I'm kinda expecting more at this event just because all of Nintendo's A teams should be working on Switch, whereas back in 2013 teams were still hard at work on 3DS software.

I hope they don't wait til E3 to show Retro's new game. Now is the time.

hughesta

Banned
Actually the only thing I was alluding to was the Monolith game, but I realized I don't know for a fact it will be there.

Other than that, things I have heard exist are all bog-standard titles that aren't hard guesses/have been shown already: Mario, Splatoon, etc.

Don't know anything personally about BG&E2 but Laura Dale's getting her info from Ubi for a reason so I'd believe it.
yo Alberto if you've heard anything about a Switch Platinum game pls just answer me this

Is it some licensed port like Transformers or TMNT

or is it a legit platinum game

e: I understand that the post I'm quoting is you saying you don't know anything else but pls. Lie to me baby

zeromcd73

I know Nintendo will bring the goods. Hoping third parties show up and we see stuff like Lady Layton/Inazuma Eleven from Level 5, KH/DQ/FF from Square Enix etc.

MomoQca

Okay, so...you're saying that the game is like XCX, but not necessarily a Monolith Soft game? Did I interpret that correctly?

with unified platform, how many N games are you guys expecting per year? 1 or 2 a month?

I wouldn't go crazy here. You also have to take into account the fact that the development resources are going to shoot up for games as well. They also won't be fully switched from the 3DS for a little while.

It really bugs me that this will likely air ridiculously early in the morning in my time, not to mention likely not be subtitled or have any English-speakers. Nintendo really needs to stop focusing so much on the Japanese market.

image.php

No reason to believe this except that Nintendo's output over the last years or two has been pretty low, they gotta' be doing something.

And also the whole combining handheld and console divisions and putting all their games onto this single platform, where previously they developed/published 20 or more games a year.

Ya know, the entire purpose of the Switch.

It really bugs me that this will likely air ridiculously early in the morning in my time, not to mention likely not be subtitled or have any English-speakers. Nintendo really needs to stop focusing so much on the Japanese market.

I mean they're primarily based on a Japanese Company lol.

They cant just leave there Japanese market because they don't provide English speakers for you.

Steejee

Goddamn it you tickled my hype nerve. I've been beating that one down bit by bit.

That being said, XCX came out April 2015 in Japan, so that'll be near two years between XCX release and Switch reveal. Two years is a pretty good chunk of dev time, especially since it sounded like a lot of the time that Monolith Soft spent on XCX was due to adapting to HD. Maybe E3 2017 teaser?

Let's hope that they're fully well prepared unlike with the Wii U reveal. You only get one shot at making a good first impression among consumers.

There's been some confusion regarding the mario shown in the switch video. Can you confirm if it's a real game or not?

There's been some confusion regarding the mario shown in the switch video. Can you confirm if it's a real game or not?

Wait why wouldn't it be from a real game? Are people actually thinking it's not a real game?

I'm going to guess nothing.

Everyone from the development partners list is making at least one game. It was the same as with Wii U and 3DS, just a much larger list this time.

Top Bottom