• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller just got FCC approval. Update: Gone in 15 minutes

Cerium

New thread for new news.

For anyone looking for a source on the above posts, an eagle eyed Redditor scanning FCC filings found NOA only just got clearance on the Pro controller a day ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...d_fcc/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=comment_list

This is the first credible explanation for this insanity, as they can't legally sell in the US without FCC approval.

Really suggests they're rushing this launch out of the gate...

Update: I STEPPED OUTSIDE FOR A MOMENT AND I MISSED IT THEY'RE ALL GONE NOTHING TO SEE HERE

8LNW0.gif

FUCK SCALPERS TBH

Vash63

I'm holding off until a 2D platformer or something comes out that really needs a dpad. For everything else the Joycons + grip just seems the better deal.

L.O.R.D

Very weird the pro controller is still not ready,and they advertised launch game like Zelda with pro controller.

random25

Very weird the pro controller is still not ready,and they advertised launch game like Zelda with pro controller.

The controller is already in production. It just needs FCC approval to be able to put them into store shelves in the US and other countries that require FCC.

Skeletos311

Finally some real news about this thing. Thanks for posting this. This whole thing has been ridiculous. I really need one for like, everything I want to get on Switch. Monster Boy, PuyoPuyo Tetris, Zelda, Dragon's Trap, Ultra Street Fighter II.

The_Lump

Banned
I mean it's a month or so away from launch. It's not like it wasn't going to be approved so I don't think this proves much other than maybe Nintendo went over schedule somewhere (maybe a late rework due to production issue or something). Could be anything really.

But either way, it won't have delayed it's launch or anything that will impact consumers. It's out on 03/03 either way.

Cuningas de Häme;228981910 said:
Thanks Trump! (Too early for this?)

It might not be Nintendo's fault that the approval took so long, you know?
But we need to blame Nintendo for everything and treat them different compared to other companies.

Cuburt

Of course it's Nintendo's fault and not the FCC taking long.

That is the only explanation, despite it already being for sale in other territories. Over a month is not enough time to preorder. What a shitshow. etc. etc. Intentional scarcity solely to screw over customers and drive up demand for controllers.

L.O.R.D

The controller is already in production. It just needs FCC approval to be able to put them into store shelves in the US and other countries that require FCC.
So that's why i can't find any online retailers to pre-order the pro controller?

AgeEighty

So that's why i can't find any online retailers to pre-order the pro controller?

It's been explained already. They can't offer it for sale without FCC approval. That doesn't have anything to do with whether they're allowed to manufacture them.

Now that they have approval, the Pro can be put up for sale, hopefully some time in the next few days.

random25

Yes. I've seen the pro controllers available for pre-order in other countries, so that's basically the road block for the US pre-order, or any country that requires FCC certification.

Chao

Still don't get the obsession with this piece of hardware, every Switch thread is full of posters worried about having to purchase one pro controller at launch.

I would somewhat get it if the controller was affordable and maybe if Smash released alongside the console, but why would you need this in order to play Zelda, Mario kart, Arms or even Splatoon?

Only now? That's really bad. But at least it'll be there at launch I assume.

Well now that pesky bureaucratic obstacles are over, we can order it in a few days.

Still don't get the obsession with this piece of hardware, every Switch thread is full of posters worried about having to purchase one pro controller at launch.

I would somewhat get it if the controller was affordable and maybe if Smash released alongside the console, but why would you need this in order to play Zelda, Mario kart, Arms or even Splatoon?

Sometimes people just want a nice, form fitting controller that lasts twice as long on a charge as joycons.

I plan to leave the "Joy-Con Grip" in the box. I don't get that piece of hardware. The Pro Controller looks great.

Also, you left out Bomberman, USFII and Shovel Knight.

Skeletos311

There's a bunch of 2D games, which people will want a d-pad for, coming to Switch too. Shovel Knight, PuyoPuyo Tetris, Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap, Monter Boy in the Cursed Kingdom, Ultra Street Fighter II, Virtual Console.

I'm holding off until a 2D platformer or something comes out that really needs a dpad. For everything else the Joycons + grip just seems the better deal.

After hearing impressions that the Joy Cons are more comfortable from a few sources I decided to do the same.

jblank83

I plan to leave the "Joy-Con Grip" in the box. I don't get that piece of hardware. The Pro Controller looks great.

It's supposed to be almost as comfortable as the pro controller, according to hands-ons.

I still plan to use the pro controller when not in handheld mode, though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The FCC covers Canada too, right?

I wonder what the reason is.

Nintendo sending the Pro Controller late?
The FCC being slow?
The Pro Controller having a shit ton of stuff in it?

Of course it's Nintendo's fault and not the FCC taking long.

That is the only explanation, despite it already being for sale in other territories. Over a month is not enough time to preorder. What a shitshow. etc. etc. Intentional scarcity solely to screw over customers and drive up demand for controllers.

I think this just about does it.

Top Bottom