• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller just got FCC approval. Update: Gone in 15 minutes

All that stuff in it and it still makes a joke out of the battery life of the DS4 and XBO controllers.

What kind of batteries are in there?

Reminds me of how the Wii U Pro Controller was about eighty hours of playtime. Only had to charge it every once in a while compared to my other controllers. It was one of the big reasons why I used the Pro over the GamePad when I got the option.

Neoxon

All that stuff in it and it still makes a joke out of the battery life of the DS4 and XBO controllers.

If I recall, the Wii U Pro Controller had an OG 3DS battery in it, so maybe it's that.

But asking $10 more is outrageous greed from Nintendo.

I don't mind the $10 more in concept. I just think first-party controllers are expensive in my eyes in general. DS4, XB1, Wii U Pro, Joycons, Switch Pro Contoller, etc. I never want to buy a third party controller, because I've been burned too much on them over the years, unless the third party controller is recommended heavily by multiple people.

Cerium

I don't mind the $10 more in concept. I just think first-party controllers are expensive in my eyes in general. DS4, XB1, Wii U Pro, Joycons, Switch Pro Contoller, etc. I never want to buy a third party controller, because I've been burned too much on them over the years, unless the third party controller is recommended heavily by multiple people.

You get what you pay for my friend.

I've been fond of Nintendo's first party controllers ever since the Wavebird.

Y'all remember the Wavebird? Good times.

TAS

Thanks for the update! I knew there had to be a reason for its NA absence. Hopefully preorders go up before March 3 tho. 🙏

Ain't that the truth. I love my PlayStation, but damn if the battery life isn't terrible. Big reason why I use my x1 controllers on PC.

Xdrive05

Impressions of the Joy Con grip seem universally positive, but I have some gigantic ass hands. I just want to hold the grip before deciding on a pro controller or not.

Do we know if there will be 3rd party knockoffs of the pro controller at launch?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Impressions of the Joy Con grip seem universally positive, but I have some gigantic ass hands. I just want to hold the grip before deciding on a pro controller or not.

Do we know if there will be 3rd party knockoffs of the pro controller at launch?

Who knows if the first-party real deal will be there at launch, even.

hivycox

Some of you guys need to chill out. The pro controller is available in europe since the switch presentation. That doesn't mean that Nintendo is rushing the system.

I think that only NoA was a little lazy with the timing

Peltz

Probably would have been faster if Federal hiring hadn't frozen...
/s

but only slight /s

Crazyorloco

This happens all the time guys...especially for cell phones. Come on gaf. I feel like every first post should come with an educational lesson on how things work.

I see some posters already using this to fuel their already established hate against the switch/nintendo.

psyfi

Banned
cool, glad they got it sorted out

People were stressing about this? I think I'm finally starting to understand that fanxiety term that people use here sometimes.

Crazyorloco

FFC certification for most devices happens only about 1-2 months before launch. This is completely normal.
I'm glad someone here gets it. I've seen cell phones have approval less than a month before release.

Of course it's Nintendo's fault and not the FCC taking long.

That is the only explanation, despite it already being for sale in other territories. Over a month is not enough time to preorder. What a shitshow. etc. etc. Intentional scarcity solely to screw over customers and drive up demand for controllers.

Lol. I can imagine a lot of gaffers thinking like this. I'm glad you got this out of the way.

needed this one added:

For fuck's sake Nintendo.

AdanVC

I will play with the Joy-Cons for a while. No need to get a Pro controller now. Maybe by the time the Smash port comes out but for now, nah. Joy-Cons look comfortable enough for me and impressions of them are very positive.

Cerium

The pro controller just showed up at amazon.ca but it's not available for pre-order yet. I guess it's starting to come out.
giphy.gif

Neoxon

I will play with the Joy-Cons for a while. No need to get a Pro controller now. Maybe by the time the Smash port comes out but for now, nah. Joy-Cons look comfortable enough for me and impressions of them are very positive.
In my case, I'm gonna want one for Sonic Mania & USFII (unless Brook comes out with a PS4-to-Switch converter for my arcade stick before then for USFII). As for Smash 4, it'll likely work with the GameCube Adapter, so I can always just use that.

61jRG7OH-GL._SL1500_.jpg

That's a 3DS Battery alright.

I'm not surprised. It probably is easier for Nintendo to mass-produce 3DS batteries and put them in their controllers and stuff than make a new battery. If that's why the Pro Controller has 40 Hrs, then I'm all for it. The battery is one thing I won't know Nintendo's controllers for recently with the Wii U Pro, the JoyCons and the Switch Pro.

61jRG7OH-GL._SL1500_.jpg

That's a 3DS Battery alright.
Awesome.

I accidentally broke the charging circuit on my Wii U pro when taking it apart once. I was going to attempt fixing it, but ended up just using my OG 3DS I still had lying around as a pro controller battery charger instead. It was surprisingly convenient.

aparisi2274

I preordered a pro from Amazon Japan and with shipping to my home in NYC, it came out to $5 less than the US MSRP, so I am good.

Top Bottom