• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller just got FCC approval. Update: Gone in 15 minutes

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
While the joycon grip looks terrible, I've read a few times that it really doesn't feel much different from the pro controller. D pad issues aside, I think I'm just going to wait on this one to see.

If the difference in feel is minimal I think I'd rather have another set of joycons.

Toki767

While the joycon grip looks terrible, I've read a few times that it really doesn't feel much different from the pro controller. D pad issues aside, I think I'm just going to wait on this one to see.

If the difference in feel is minimal I think I'd rather have another set of joycons.
Bigger face buttons on the Pro Controller is one of the main selling points to me.

I don't want to feel like I'm playing a console game with 3DS buttons.

Spy

This is sort of want I'm thinking but the problem is if Virtual Console is there day 1. I need a d-pad.

jax

Banned
Wait did this go up in US?

...Well, shit. I didn't realize I needed to get a Pro Controller so soon after release, but I definitely need a D-Pad for Puyo Tetris.

yeah Puyo and SF2 pretty much require it. I like dpads for Sonic & Bomberman too. :\

inc77

I hope the pre-order doesn't sell out quickly, otherwise I guess I'll just order from Amazon Japan like everyone else.

jax

Banned
I hope I can snag another preorder, so I can have one for Zelda, and two for Mario Kart in April. The motion control in these is gonna take MK drunk driving to the next level.

rtrbad

Banned
It's the go-to Smash controller thanks to a number of factors (the competitive split caused by Brawl which resulted in Melee lasting as long as it is, the OG Wiis having GameCube ports, etc.), so yeah.

Still with the Wii U branding.

Yeah Amazon is making it incredibly confusing with the misbranding.

MrNineties

I'm not seeing any screws for opening it up for potential battery removal. Hope it'll still be easily accessible.

If you look at the image they have of the Mario Amiibo being used for NFC you can notice on the bottom end of each grip there's a small screw hole on each side.

Using the joycon grip was really that horrible when you got to test it out in person at one of those switch events, eh?

Haha nah, I just want a proper d-pad. The Pro Controller is going to be my default controller for every game (GCN controller for the Smash 4 port whenever it comes out), plus it has better battery life and can be charged via USB-C.

boxter432

baby steps:

Nintendo Nintendo Switch Pro Controller - Nintendo Wii U
Nintendo
Platform : Nintendo Switch

(platform used to be Wii).
just need to remove the WiiU. guess it could be compatible with WiiU? is that known?

Atheerios

baby steps:

Nintendo Nintendo Switch Pro Controller - Nintendo Wii U
Nintendo
Platform : Nintendo Switch

(platform used to be Wii).
just need to remove the WiiU. guess it could be compatible with WiiU? is that known?

Nah. The main Switch system has GameCube as platform lol

JaseMath

Thanks
Not the most shining endorsement

Well, it sure beats this.

The default Switch control scheme docks both of the "Joy-Cons" – essentially shortened Wiimotes – into a plastic shell called the Joy-Con Grip. You've probably seen the photos and thought "wow, that looks like it might make for an awkward hold." And it does. The buttons and joysticks are smaller and tighter than the PlayStation Dualshock or the Xbox controller, and the excess plastic on the bottom juts into your hands in a pretty unsatisfying way. It feels like a calculator masquerading as a gamepad – and just like the Wiimote and Nunchuk, the Joy-Con Grip won't likely be your preferred medium to digest more conventional games like Skyrim or Super Mario Odyssey. It's not awful, and it certainly won't go down in the Bad Controller Hall of Fame with the Power Glove and "The Duke" – the original Xbox's first controller – but it doesn't make a great first impression.

I wouldn't even mind paying 100 bucks for a controller if the hands on impressions I saw didn't sound so mild saying the face buttons don't feel great and that it has an air of cheapness about the feel....maybe it's just the ones I watched.

KevinG

I wouldn't even mind paying 100 bucks for a controller if the hands on impressions I saw didn't sound so mild saying the face buttons don't feel great and that it has an air of cheapness about the feel....maybe it's just the ones I watched.
Not huge on Endgadget impressions most of the time anyway.

I've read a lot of positives about it. I have big hands and I suspect the Joy-Con will be quite small. Good for brief sessions, but cramp the hands of I play too long.

Not huge on Endgadget impressions most of the time anyway.

I've read a lot of positives about it. I have big hands and I suspect the Joy-Con will be quite small. Good for brief sessions, but cramp the hands of I play too long.
can you link me to one or two more hands on articles? So hard to find these...

I just like the idea of being able to leave the joycons on the tablet so you can pick up and play when you want to go into handheld mode and then just drop into t he dock without ever having to attach /detach them. That's the only reason I wan't a pro controller.

KevinG

Thanks!

This one that showed up in the "up next" section is pretty good as well, and also talks about JoyCon comfort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLBGeKtYzE

can you link me to one or two more hands on articles? So hard to find these...

I just like the idea of being able to leave the joycons on the tablet so you can pick up and play when you want to go into handheld mode and then just drop into t he dock without ever having to attach /detach them. That's the only reason I wan't a pro controller.

The link above the quote is one, I'll try to look up others when I get done with work.

HylianTom

Banned
Does Amazon put things up for sale whenever or is there a method to it?

I'm not sure, but the increment of time between {Amazon.ca Pro-Controller Placeholder shows-up} and {Amazon.ca Pro-Controller PreOrders Open} was pretty short earlier today. This is taking a good bit longer.

WadeitOut

I'll wait for a controller with analog triggers so I can play GameCube games.

UlZQuKQ.jpg

Skeletos311

Well, I made an Amazon alert. Surely they'll email me the second it goes on sale and I'll hear my phone's notification sound go off and I'll get one. I can relax now. Technology sure is great.

Kacho

Well, I made an Amazon alert. Surely they'll email me the second it goes on sale and I'll hear my phone's notification sound go off and I'll get one. I can relax now. Technology sure is great.

hue hue hue hue

(I turned on Wario 64 tweet notifications. Dude is always on point.)

Top Bottom