• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller just got FCC approval. Update: Gone in 15 minutes

phanphare

Banned
61jRG7OH-GL._SL1500_.jpg

That's a 3DS Battery alright.

so is this thing going to have a ridiculous battery life like the Wii U Pro? because that'd be awesome

IceIpor

I'm so confused on the popularity of the controller.
I placed my order, but wasn't expecting it to actually sell out... (on Amazon.ca)

Either there isn't that many being produced, or scalpers must of swooped in once they realized how popular it was becoming.

WadeitOut

I'm so confused on the popularity of the controller.
I placed my order, but wasn't expecting it to actually sell out... (on Amazon.ca)

Either there isn't that many being produced, or scalpers must of swooped in once they realized how popular it was becoming.

It's Nintendo. You get one guess.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Annnnd on my latest refresh, Amazon took the "Wii U" part off of the name.

Progress! /s
Lame. I wanted the Nintendo Nintendo Switch Pro Controller Nintendo Wii U.

JaseMath

Does this grip hold a charge? Or does it just allow you to charge the Joy-Cons via a charging cable.

Yes; it works like an external battery. You charge the battery separate from the controllers...from there you can charge the Joy-Cons while you have them in the grip. With the standard grip, you cannot–you'd have to be tethered to a cable.

At least that's my understanding.

alf717

It has its own battery you charge and it stacks with the joycon's battery life.

Yes; it works like an external battery. You charge the battery separate from the controllers...from there you can charge the Joy-Cons while you have them in the grip. With the standard grip, you cannot–you'd have to be tethered to a cable.

At least that's my understanding.

OK thank you, that had me confused for a while. So this will be the only way to charge them. in grip form, and the default one does let you charge the Joy-Con controllers. Good that is cleared up.

WadeitOut

I still don't really get the need for a charge grip. I can't imagine ever having them disconnected from the tablet for more than 20 hours personally. I guess if you always use the console docked it would be good.

goldenpp72

I still don't really get the need for a charge grip. I can't imagine ever having them disconnected from the tablet for more than 20 hours personally. I guess if you always use the console docked it would be good.

If you ever want to charge more than one set of joycons at a time, you'll need it or something like it. As well as if you want to use them while charging, so there is some purpose.

If you ever want to charge more than one set of joycons at a time, you'll need it or something like it. As well as if you want to use them while charging, so there is some purpose.
So if you leave the dead Joy-Cons in it while plugged in it will charge both the grip and the Joy-Cons at the same time correct?

If so the extra set of Joy-Cons and this grip will be ideal for couch multiplayer.

KevinG

I don't even know why I want this as badly as I do.

I had no interest in it during the days right after thee event.

WadeitOut

I'd buy a 4 charge dock if I had two sets not a charge grip. And they will charge when I use it in tablet mode.

I don't understand it from this perspective either. Is removing the joycons and placing them on the main unit that much more inconvenient than fiddling with a cable?

Edit: I guess I could see it if you don't charge your controllers except when you need to. I'm used to charging the gamepad every time I turn the Wii U off lol.

You guys know you can buy it from Amazon Japan and ship it to US and it will arrive in 2 to 3 days and cost you the same (or less), right?

I don't understand it from this perspective either. Is removing the joycons and placing them on the main unit that much more inconvenient than fiddling with a cable?

I'm personally grabbing one just for those instances where I leave the joy-con's undocked from the main unit and they have little battery life left in them. While it won't be a common occurrence, I like to know that I'll always have some way to charge them while using the unit docked.

WadeitOut

Edit: I guess I could see it if you don't charge your controllers except when you need to. I'm used to charging the gamepad every time I turn the Wii U off lol.

Yeah I am one of those people who placed their gamepad in the cradle dock with the AC adapter plugged into it. I plan on having my tablet in the dock and joy cons on the sides every night.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I checked the FCC report and it looks like someone made a last minute modification on January 19th.

This is why pre-orders started so late.

The grip doesn't have a battery to charge.
Gotcha, I can charge my extra Joy-Cons with it. I'm going ahead and get the charge grip with extra Joy-Cons for couch multiplayer purposes. With 2 sets of Joy-Cons and a Pro Controller I will be set for up to 5 player multiplayer depending on the game. Eventually I will add another Pro Controller. Can't wait for different Joy-Con attachments to add to the grips.

JaseMath

I have a request for somebody—anybody—willing to take me up on it. I'm sick. Like, really fucking sick. I've been at home today, refreshing Amazon hoping it'd be up by now, but no dice. Now I have to crash. My body is telling me to stop; I have to rest.

If someone here would purchase 2 in the event it goes live between now and morning, I would get you back immediately. I know that's a big ask with the perceived scarcity and all, but I would be really, really grateful. Who knows, it may not even happen. Just figured I throw out the request. If no takers, best of luck to those of you who nab one!

*dies*

Cerium

I have a request for somebody—anybody—willing to take me up on it. I'm sick. Like, really fucking sick. I've been at home today, refreshing Amazon hoping it'd be up by now, but no dice. Now I have to crash. My body is telling me to stop; I have to rest.

If someone here would purchase 2 in the event it goes live between now and morning, I would get you back immediately. I know that's a big ask with the perceived scarcity and all, but I would be really, really grateful. Who knows, it may not even happen. Just figured I throw out the request. If no takers, best of luck to those of you who nab one!

*dies*

Yeah I need to sleep too.

WadeitOut

*dies*

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01NCX3W3O/

Problem solved.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Bigger face buttons on the Pro Controller is one of the main selling points to me.

I don't want to feel like I'm playing a console game with 3DS buttons.

I use a steam controller primarily and the buttons are tiny so Im hoping I'm going to like the joycons.

Top Bottom