• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Unboxing [from the same guy named hiphoptherobot]

HeelPower

They wanted to make it clear of what you get is what you get. Now if you were a true fan and also in Japan, you would've ordered that special packaging.

nintendo-switch-my-nintendo-store-pack-shot.jpg

Nah, the one showing the hands picking up the switch from the dock is better and gets the core point of the system extremely intuitively.

I like simple as much as the next guy ,but this box simply conveys nothing.

Nah, the one showing the hands picking up the switch from the dock is better and gets the core point of the system extremely intuitively.

I like simple as much as the next guy ,but this box simply conveys nothing.

That's essentially what I mean. The normal retail box is literally to show what you get with the Switch. It conveys everything you need to know about how you can use it.

The special packaging is for the consumer that was already buying the Switch, that needs no conveying, they already know what the Switch is. So this is purely for the aesthetic and why it's ONLY available in a Nintendo-centric online store.

This thing is going to do so much better than wiiu. Just looking at an unboxing or the UI makes me want to order a second one.

Koizumi might do a badass one though.

No way Koizumi will do a better one though...he even wore gloves and called it a ceremony...tears in my eyes watching that honestly...

Plasmid

Looks awesome. Really can't wait to get mine and BoTW, will probably get a pro controller and 1 2 switch a few paychecks after.

Necro900

What if Nintendo gave the greenlight to send hiphoptherobot a (pretty much useless right now anyway) Nintendo Switch in order to stop that Youtuber kid from hanging around the Nintendo NY store all the time and convince him to go back to school? He's not the first anymore!

/believe

Blunoise

Well guys technically the press were always going to get a switch before CND go it, that's nothing new. This didn't phase the guy, like he said on twitter he will be the first to get it from Reggie as a consumer.

That's essentially what I mean. The normal retail box is literally to show what you get with the Switch. It conveys everything you need to know about how you can use it.

The special packaging is for the consumer that was already buying the Switch, that needs no conveying, they already know what the Switch is. So this is purely for the aesthetic and why it's ONLY available in a Nintendo-centric online store.

Special packaging? I thought it was Japan only?

They wanted to make it clear of what you get is what you get. Now if you were a true fan and also in Japan, you would've ordered that special packaging.

nintendo-switch-my-nintendo-store-pack-shot.jpg

This and the different EU Zelda case just make me mad. Why don't they use the same packaging everywhere? It'd make the release much more impactful too

oti

Banned
This and the different EU Zelda case just make me mad. Why don't they use the same packaging everywhere? It'd make the release much more impactful too

That's just the packaging for those who chose their own colours on Nintendo's website. It makes sense this packaging is different. Not like you need to advertise the Switch to them. They've already bought it.

KtSlime

The standard boxes show the colors of the joy-con on them, however this red box is used when someone chooses their joy-con colors on the Japanese Nintendo Store, that way they don't have to make a box for every available color combination.

It would be a hassle having to look for a label on the box indicating if it is the neon or the grey Switch, so on the standard retail units it is simply printed as an image on the box. It makes for fewer mistakes.

Silurus

What if Nintendo gave the greenlight to send hiphoptherobot a (pretty much useless right now anyway) Nintendo Switch in order to stop that Youtuber kid from hanging around the Nintendo NY store all the time and convince him to go back to school? He's not the first anymore!

/believe

He never would of been. Lots of countries have time zones earlier than the US.

CEJames

I just got to watch the first unboxing of the switch...wow...I feel special now. /s

For real though, that "Switch Click" soundbit is iconic as hell. I'll probably think of the Switch every time I snap my fingers.

I just got to watch the first unboxing of the switch...wow...I feel special now. /s

For real though, that "Switch Click" soundbit is iconic as hell. I'll probably think of the Switch every time I snap my fingers.

Yeah, It's like when you open a can of Coca Cola.
I'll forever associate that sound with the Switch, just like I associate the sound of a can opening to Coca Cola

Where's hiphop at? He better not be asleep! He's got a job to do. He should be up 24/7 supplying us with video after video.

;_; I can't wait two weeks. It's killing me.

CEJames

Yeah, It's like when you open a can of Coca Cola.
I'll forever associate that sound with the Switch, just like I associate the sound of a can opening to Coca Cola

Sarcasm noted. To each his own.

Just think. You're sitting outside a coffee shop and hear the sound of snapping fingers....or was it the Switch. Maybe we can play some multiplayer. So you frantically look around. O,O

With the sound of a can popping....it's really not the same. Can I have some of your coke?....."Uhh, no. Go away." It's just not the same man.

With how often this is brought up I'm surprised people still question the activity log. Heck the Parental Controls video has like 4 million views, I assumed that was mostly GAF watching.

This is a app for parents , im not a parent , i dont want to use this app... 0 interest for me to download this app...

Matbtz

This is a app for parents , im not a parent , i dont want to use this app... 0 interest for me to download this app...

Ok I saw this from the unboxing, so maybe you'll be able to get the activity lof on the console by enabling parental control ? This is pretty weird but ok if that works
9fdd297e08.png

Turrican3

I'm *still* unsure whether the activity log is exclusively accessible via the app or not. :-\

Not a gamechanger for me, but somehow confusing nonetheless.

Kurt

Ok I saw this from the unboxing, so maybe you'll be able to get the activity lof on the console by enabling parental control ? This is pretty weird but ok if that works
9fdd297e08.png

If it's not in the OS, they still can add it.
But it's better to have a global overview on your smartphone which for most people is always at hand on the go. You could see stats of friends while on the go without having your switch with you.

Parahan

It says it needs a system update when clicked on but system update gives an error message.

Oh man! On one hand hiphop is the luckiest SOB and will go down in history as first of the general public to own switch and on the other he is the guy that has to sit with a console for two whole weeks without getting to play anything on it.

You seem like a good guy Hiphop and we all appreciate what you're doing. I can imagine your inbox overflowing with press requests to buy it or ask more questions.

But it's better to have a global overview on your smartphone which for most people is always at hand on the go. You could see stats of friends while on the go without having your switch with you.

BUT WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE A PHONE HMMMMM?

Oh man! On one hand hiphop is the luckiest SOB and will go down in history as first of the general public to own switch and on the other he is the guy that has to sit with a console for two whole weeks without getting to play anything on it.

You seem like a good guy Hiphop and we all appreciate what you're doing. I can imagine your inbox overflowing with press requests to buy it or ask more questions.

At least he hasn't had his switch pre order cancelled for whatever reason. That's something that can still happen to the rest of us.

Shiggy

The main issue is that, based on past experience with Nintendo, the app may not be supported or updated in 4 or 5 years anymore. Then the activity log will be gone forever unless you keep your old phone around.

When Nintendo took down the Nintendo Channel on Wii, I lost my activity log on that system.

mark-san

Banned
Back in the day I bought my Gamecube without a game. Eternal Darkness came out the week after and I could only afford one game so I had to wait. For 7 days I had that beautiful new console at home and all I could do was to get mezmerized by the amazing boot up animation. It was torture.

Well, at least you got to enjoy the best boot animation ever (sorry, DC).

Top Bottom