• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch - What accessories do I need?

Some of you guys make it seem like the switch's screen is frail to every touch, which is just false.
If you are paranoid about scratches, go for a protector, if your dock is bent, go for a protector, but please stop convincing switch owners that they absolutely need a protector lest they will be doomed with scratched screens.

relax. Nobody is saying that the Switch's screen is especially scratch-prone or that your console is gonna look like a Walmart display unit a year in.

As Switch owners we're just advocating for purchasing a screen protector because

get this

it's the smart thing to do.

period. that's it. it's literally that simple.

it's not that your Switch screen will certainly get ruined if you don't grab a protector.

it's that your Switch screen will never get ruined if you do.

ghibli99

As many others have said, MicroSD card (I got a 128GB one) and screen protector at a minimum. Pro Controller highly recommended. Case if you plan to play it for any length of time in handheld mode.

Pro controller
RDS Deluxe Travel Case
Joy-Con charging dock if you plan on getting more joy-cons

Not a fan of screen protectors. The Switch screen seems to be pretty durable to me as long as you take care of it.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Pro controller that good huh?

I got a screen protector and a 128 gb sd card. I'm consideringa second power supply to keep around in the bedroom, I hate having to mess with my cables behind my tv stand.

I got a screen protector and a 128 gb sd card. I'm consideringa second power supply to keep around in the bedroom, I hate having to mess with my cables behind my tv stand.

Pro controller also comes with additional USB C cable that you can use for this purpose. :)

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
As many others have said, MicroSD card (I got a 128GB one) and screen protector at a minimum. Pro Controller highly recommended. Case if you plan to play it for any length of time in handheld mode.
Personally I'd prefer looking at the screen without another layer on it, as well as its unnecessary added weight. I get it with mobile because I could drop it more easily..but the Switch screen scratching is more of a myth than anything.

Kamina

Golden Boy
relax. Nobody is saying that the Switch's screen is especially scratch-prone or that your console is gonna look like a Walmart display unit a year in.

As Switch owners we're just advocating for purchasing a screen protector because

get this

it's not that your Switch screen will certainly get ruined if you don't grab a protector.

Fair enough, I see your point.

Very. Its a must have if you play docked imo.

get this

Well some of us think that adding additional layer of plastic/glass on top of screen forever ruins how the screen looks. It's not as "smart" as you are making it out to be :)

rudger

In order of importance:

1) SD Card
2) Pro Controller
3) Screen Protector (Glass)
4) Portable Battery
5) Carrying Case for Travel
6) Small Headphone Amp (Like a Fiio E6) since the headphone output is a bit weak

Even after the last OS update?

Anyways, start with nothing unless you know you're the type of person who needs a screen protector.

a case is nice but only needed if you travel with your system. If you buy physical make sure it has slots for games or a microsd card.

A MicroSD card is nice if you want to download a lot of the larger retail titles, otherwise it is excessive if you don't need it right now as prices will just keep going down. Plus it's easy to archive downloaded software if you're in a bind and need space. Your saves will be there.

The pro controller is pretty great except the d-pad is faulty. So if you aren't dying for it, wait for a revision.

An extra set of joycons is good if you want easy 4 player action or two player Arms.

Honestly just buy things as needed. It's still too early to say anything is a must and you won't know what you need until you use the machine.

Coxy100

Banned
In all of the years of owning electronics I've never used a screen protector and the only visible scratch I've ever seen was on PSP about 7 years ago. And I'm one of those people who throws phone and keys into the same pocket.

I have no idea what you people do to scratch your electronics. :)
I'm the same. I don't get why people have the need for one. I'm ultra cautious and everything is fine

TeegsD

I definitely want to get a Pro Controller eventually, but I seem to be the only one who likes using the joy cons? Maybe I just have really tiny hands? Being able to lounge and play Zelda with a joy con in each hand is just the ideal experience for me.

In any case, does anyone have any experience with the 8bitdo controllers? They seem like a cheaper option to the pro controller for now at least.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a carrying case?

I only play in handheld mode, so since I don't need to worry about the screen getting scratched by the dock, I just got a good carrying case to avoid scratches.

Since I never really play on the TV, and I don't mind the joycons, I went with a pair of joycons over the pro controller. I'll probably buy the charger grip at some point since I do want to be able to charge the second pair seperately. I'll probably wait for the upcoming Nyko Clip Grip Power since it has a built in battery and it's cheaper than Nintendo's basic one.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You don't really NEED any accessories, only whatever you want.

Out of the box you have everything you need to get up and running playing Switch games.

BigDug13

128GB microSD is around $45-55
200GB microSD is around $75-80
256GB MicroSD is around $140-150

With that, I suggest the 200GB as far as being a large size with good bang-for-the-buck currently, that's large enough to possibly last you the whole generation.

ngower

A lot of you have screen protectors. Hm.

While we'er in here, is there a solid hard-ish case? I need something with a bit less give than my soft-shell.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Do we have any word on whether or not Nintendo is bringing their Splatoon carrying cases to the West or will I need to import that via Amazon Japan?

Screen protector won't save your screen from cracking :). It could help, but chances of saving the screen when you drop your Switch on a concrete floor will not be much smaller with screen protector on. I will take my chances of this very unlikely scenario over always looking at an inferior screen...

Have you not seen the way tempered glass screen protectors can crack when damaged sufficiently? It absorbs the impact your screen would have taken.

Also, again, good quality screen protectors have great clarity.

Lylo

Well some of us think that adding additional layer of plastic/glass on top of screen forever ruins how the screen looks. It's not as "smart" as you are making it out to be :)

Agreed. I hate screen protectors and i simply don't care if my Switch screen can get scratched at some point. If that ever happen and if it bothers me enough, i'll buy another Switch, i have plenty of nephews/nieces to give the old one.

I understand the people that like screen protectors, but please, don't make it sound like it's absolutelly essential and if you don't use one you're not smart enough. It's just a matter of choice.

ViolentP

Absolutely, but not necessary in case one is convinced that they will not scratch their screen.

Here's the thing. No one wants to scratch their device. It's insurance against accidents which everyone is susceptible to making.

spekkeh

Banned
The only thing you really need is a carrying case. Outside of that there's nothing that's essential.

I would also suggest an extra set of joycons for ARMS or 4 player Mario Kart.

The rest is up to you really. 4 Months in I don't have any scratches on my screen. I have an SD card but I haven't reached the internal storage limit yet, not even close.

lucius

I recommend to get a stand, amFilm screen protector, Type C USB cable and at least 64 GB memory card first then pick up the pro controller when on sale later at some point, the bigger memory cards will drop too. I don't really like the official stand even though it doesn't block vents at all, I think the Nulaxy and Lamicall switch stands are better made for multiple angles.

Darktalon

I am super picky about screen protectors messing up my image quality, and won't use them if they diminish the quality. The amFilm tempered glass screen protector does not effect the image quality at all. Its fucking amazing how good it looks actually. And its good choice to avoid scratches, which also diminish image quality.

Mentok

Banned
Thanks for making this thread OP, I was wondering the same thing. Aside from getting the Splatoon2 Pro Controller for sure (the Wii U's really sold me on them), I wasn't sure what else to get (particularly between tempered glass or just a plastic cover). I'll mainly be playing in docked or portable at home, but would love a carrying case for some travelling. Is there any recommended packages/companies out there (i.e. carrying case with glass protector)? I found a few on Amazon, but don't really know how reliable the companies are (I've seen Orzly, Finegood and Coosa).

I'm sorry that you two have apparently never once actually seen a tempered glass screen protector, but your assumption about how they look couldn't be further from the actual truth.

A tempered glass screen protector doesn't change how the Switch screen looks at all. If we were talking about those matte, shimmery plastic protectors from last generation and beyond, then you might have had a point. But, you don't.

maxresdefault.jpg

I promise that nobody who owns a tempered glass screen protector for their Switch believes that it ruined their screen in any way, shape, or form.
It doesn't leave behind adhesive or any marks.
It doesn't change the viewing angle of the screen or its clarity.
It's not any more reflective of ambient light than the screen covering that the Switch shipped with.
So explain to me how that screen has been 'forever ruined'. By literally any metric you can dream up.

A glass screen protector for Switch is simply very cheap insurance that will keep your screen pristine for its entire life cycle and won't impair the image quality whatsoever. It's not just smart, it's a no-brainer - and while I get that some of you would rather not use one for whatever reason (that reason seemingly being that some of you just want to resist the narrative that you need a protector? which is pretty weak), it's tantamount to FUD to suggest that OP shouldn't consider one, when there's literally no drawbacks.

Munkybhai

I'm sorry that you've never apparently seen a glass Switch protector, but your assumption about how they look couldn't be further from the actual truth.

A tempered glass screen protector doesn't change how the Switch screen looks at all. If we were talking about those matte, shimmery plastic protectors, then you might have had a point. But, you don't.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tell me how that screen is forever ruined.

Also it feels much better to swipe on a glass surface than a plastic one.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Screen protector and Pro controller are a must.

A carrying case as well if you plan on taking it on the go a lot.

VeeP

Glass screen protectors are the truth. Have saved my phone 2 times. No distortion in the color, feels super nice when sliding/typing/etc.

articulating screen stand ftw

I agree but that image is... misused
like, that's a little girl in a ward. she's got a trach in her throat.

but HEY I'll tell you what, I've gotten a shit-ton of use out of my articulating screen stand, and not even w/just my Switch. Watching Netflix on my phone hovering over my PC monitor while playing PC games, for one.

I never use screen protectors on my phone but went with a tempered glass one (amFilm) for my Switch. It actually makes the screen better in my opinion, as it makes it feel more slick (and premium) than the default plastic does.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Pro tip: If you had a WiiU, the gamepad stand is a perfect fit for the Switch. Much better than the built in stand for sure.

As for screen protectors: I can vouch for ORZLY.

SD-card is the only thing you need. If you want to get games digitally (and you will really want most of your games digitally because it is much more convenient).

Travel case, obviously.

Screen protector is unnecessary and will only make the screens touch sensitivity and sharpness worse. But some people need it to feel better.

Pro controller only if you really want it, most people I now always play with the JoyCons because it is more comfortable and they never touched the pro controller after a few days.

In all of the years of owning electronics I've never used a screen protector and the only visible scratch I've ever seen was on PSP about 7 years ago. And I'm one of those people who throws phone and keys into the same pocket.

I have no idea what you people do to scratch your electronics. :)

Here we go, this idea that damages are only the result of people doing irresponsible things to their electronics is such a misconception. Yes, it does happen, but let's not ignore that damages can still occur to people who treat their electronics like their first born child.

I never used screen protectors on any of my devices until I saw a slight chip to my Vita's screen, and how horrible my bottom 3DS screen looks after stylus usage. And they weren't even the reason why I got the screen protector. It's because I wanted to take precautions knowing that I would play both docked and undocked.

Screen protector is unnecessary and will only make the screens touch sensitivity and sharpness worse. But some people need it to feel better.

This is advice from someone who apparently hasn't used a tempered glass screen protector. They aren't like the matte ones you're used to from back in the day, Kratos.

A glass protector for your Switch will not impact the screen quality or the touch responsiveness, whatsoever. Please do not listen to this kind of FUD, OP.

We've got two Nintendo Switch systems in our home. One has a matte plastic screen protector. One has a tempered glass screen protector.

The plastic one (the official Nintendo one) gives the whole screen a shimmery look. As though the entire screen has JPEG compression. I don't like it.

The glass one looks literally no different than my system looked out of the box.

I can take a pic of both systems running Mario Kart 8 alongside one another to demonstrate.

This is advice from someone who apparently hasn't used a tempered glass screen protector. They aren't like the matte ones you're used to from back in the day, Kratos.

A glass protector for your Switch will not impact the screen quality or the touch responsiveness, whatsoever. Please do not listen to this kind of FUD, OP.

You're on a mission, lol. I suppose I am used to the plastic protectors. Are the glass protectors a pain to put on properly?

You're on a mission, lol. I suppose I am used to the plastic protectors. Are the glass protectors a pain to put on properly?

For me? Hell yeah, they are. I actually went through two sets (each ships with two protectors) and gave up before my little bro bought me the AmFilm and applied it himself. So I'll give ya that, lmao.

They're not flexible so it's a one-shot sorta thing. You can't exactly just peel back part of it to get at a specific speck of dust. Once you've got one on clean, though, fuhgettaboutit.

There's tricks to get them on properly, but somehow I'm a master at getting dust under my protectors while applying them, no matter what I do.

but yeah, sorry if I'm being too hostile, but anyone can go onto Youtube right now and look up reviews for tempered glass Switch screen protectors. Note that not a single one will state that the screen quality was worsened at all by the protector (and in fact many note that the glass layer actually imparts a more 'premium' look onto the console), while reviews of matte plastic protectors will commonly note that the image quality is negatively affected.

So some (glass) protector company employees are writing on gaf? Nice.

They make the screen even better and make it look more premium, believe! Buy!

Yeah, because I disputed your nonsense, I must be getting paid for it. What's wrong with you? That's some teenage GameFAQs-level discourse.

Do I need to point out to you how I didn't even say the things you're pretending I said, how the claims your attributing to me are actually that of Youtube reviewers, as I clearly noted?

Anyway, I'm looking out for OP. You're telling OP not to grab a ten dollar accessory that will keep their screen pristine for years, based on complete FUD.

It's clear you've never used a glass screen protector, so I don't understand why you think you're qualified to even offer your input there. Your perception of screen protectors is clearly based on your experiences with the plastic protectors of years past.

Whereas I'm literally sitting next to a Switch with a glass screen protector, and another Switch with a matte plastic one. I'm actually informed. You're not. Come to terms with that.

Or just make up another straw-man, and wrap another shitpost around it. Your choice, obviously.

schopaia

For starters don't listen to your friends.

- Glass screen protector
- Carry case
- Space power supply
- Spare USB C cable
- Pro Controller
- Memory card

That's what I went for.

Since you just spent $400, I'd suggest to give it a rest a little and enjoy what you have, instead of going nuts with another $200 of purchases.

You don't need the SD card (yet). Get it when you need it. I thought I had to have the pro controller right away too, but 3 months later and I'm perfectly fine with the joy cons it came with. And unless you're really accident prone, skip all the protection stuff too. Mines totally fine, just like my 3DS from years ago.

Yeah, because I disputed your nonsense, I must be getting paid for it. What's wrong with you? That's some teenage GameFAQs-level discourse.

Do I need to point out to you how I didn't even say the things you're pretending I said, how the claims your attributing to me are actually that of Youtube reviewers, as I clearly noted?

Anyway, I'm looking out for OP. You're telling OP not to grab a ten dollar accessory that will keep their screen pristine for years, based on complete FUD.

It's clear you've never used a glass screen protector, so I don't understand why you think you're qualified to even offer your input there. Your perception of screen protectors is clearly based on your experiences with the plastic protectors of years past.

Whereas I'm literally sitting next to a Switch with a glass screen protector, and another Switch with a matte plastic one. I'm actually informed. You're not. Come to terms with that.

Or just make up another straw-man, and wrap another shitpost around it. Your choice, obviously.

Well said, honestly.

Top Bottom