• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to sell Component cables online AND in select retailers in the US.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Just ordered one thru the nintendo store,hopefully I'll get it the first week of Dec :(

I just ordered the cables from Nintendo's site as well... Got my GC cables the same way. Hopefully I'll have them by the time I get around to buying an actual Wii to use them with.

Ordered the component cable at Nintendo.com along with the classic controller, my order status right now is backordered, so I guess I'll just just have to wait.

So I called Nintendo to have my Wii replaced (error 101213) and asked about my cables. I ordered them a day or two ago.

lady: i see your component cables have shipped! were you amongst the first to order them?
me: uh, no, I just now ordered them
lady: well, it seems you've lucked out, they're on their way!
me: wow, that's awesome
lady: oh wait...huh, 5 years ago to this day you ordered cables for the gamecube, those are the ones that shipped. sorry to get your hopes up

MutFox

Banned
Sugarman said:
lady: i see your component cables have shipped! were you amongst the first to order them?
me: uh, no, I just now ordered them
lady: well, it seems you've lucked out, they're on their way!
me: wow, that's awesome
lady: oh wait...huh, 5 years ago to this day you ordered cables for the gamecube, those are the ones that shipped. sorry to get your hopes up
LMAO... Is that a true story, or did you just make that up for laughs?

Soybean

*sigh* The guy at my Best Buy also stated the mid-December estimate for component cables.

I went for nintendo.com. Oh well.

MutFox

Banned
Haleon said:
Yeah, I just ordered some from Nintendo too. I won't play Zelda until I get them in.
I'm in the same boat as you, supposedly, mine won't ship till the 28th of this month.
I ordered yesterday, because I thought there might be a slight possibility a store would have them...
I was wrong. :(

MutFox said:
I'm in the same boat as you, supposedly, mine won't ship till the 28th of this month.
I ordered yesterday, because I thought there might be a slight possibility a store would have them...
I was wrong. :(
i'm in a different boat.

i have component cables but i'm waiting on my Wii to ship from amazon. i'd rather be in your boat right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My order (ordered about a week ago) says "Shipped" on the Nintendo orders page. However, when I follow the tracking info, I get:

Tracking Detail | Help help

Billing information has been sent to UPS. Check site later for updated shipment status or contact shipper for more details.

Tracking Number: sfafafafasf
Type: Package
Shipped to: fasfsafsaff, NJ, US
Shipped or Billed on: 11/18/2006
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 1.00 Lb

Tracking results provided by UPS: 11/20/2006 3:15 P.M. EST (USA)
Billing information received? What's that mean? It hasn't shipped yet?

Meier

Bboy AJ said:
My order (ordered about a week ago) says "Shipped" on the Nintendo orders page. However, when I follow the tracking info, I get:

Billing information received? What's that mean? It hasn't shipped yet?

It probably has shipped, if not it means it's been scanned initially by UPS and should be going out tonight I bet. I probably will just buy from Nintendo as well at this point.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
By a week ago, I mean the 16th. I'm guessing you're right, Meier. Nintendo sent me the "Shipped" email on Saturday. Hopefully I get it by Wednesday. I'm already jaded of this composite garbage.

"Billing info received" means that UPS has received word from Nintendo that this package is going to go out, but they haven't gotten the actual physical package yet.

thatbox

Banned
Code:
REDMOND, WA,  US	11/17/2006 	8:33 P.M. 	ORIGIN SCAN
US 	 	 	 	11/17/2006 	9:19 P.M. 	BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Order 2086 forecasted for the 28th, still. ****ing Nintendo :(

Tabris

Hmmm.... $7.00 shipping when Nintendo of Canada is in the same city. Jeez, that's kinda pricey. I think I'll call to order.

ghibli99

This is what I get for not paying attention to the Wii threads for a while. My friend got me a Wii & Zelda at launch. Sweet! Open the box. Only composite. ****! Go to the store the next day thinking I'll be OK. Nope. Check online. Holy shit, everything's sold out on Nintendo's site, I can't even get them until the 28th, and if I want them from a store, it's looking like early-mid December for either Nintendo or third party cables. WTF, Charles? I know this is all known info, but it just blows me away that in this day and age, Nintendo is basically offering *nothing* to store-going folks who want to enjoy their games in something other than antiquated and utterly shite composite. At least in the GC days, you could get by w/ S-Video for a while until you bought the digital cable from Nintendo, but now, since they changed the A/V out, I'm totally screwed.

What could've been one of the best launches for me has turned into frustration. Guess I won't be playing Zelda for a while. Argh.

Sorry for the redundant rant, but I know you guys understand.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Bah, I'm tired of searching.

This thread convinced me to order it online at Nintendo.
Cost me $36. Hope it ships when it says it does, on the 28th.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Ok keeping in mind the possibility of 3rd party being released pfft sometime...

As of today what is the best chance at getting a set of component cables for the price $30-50. I'm not paying the stupid eBay scalper price so no reason for that heat in your response.

Should I order from the Nintendo site or should I hope best buy gets them soon?

I'd recommend putting in an order at Nintendo.com but still keep on the look out for them in stores. You could always buy them if you're lucky enough to find a set, then immediately cancel the online order.

Xdrive05

So whatever happened to the 3rd party component cables that everyone said would be in stores? I checked three Walmarts and two Best Buy's and none of the stores have even gotten them in yet. I was also trying to get some s-video cables for when I take my Wii to my fiance's house, but they don't have those either.

Xdrive05 said:
So whatever happened to the 3rd party component cables that everyone said would be in stores? I checked three Walmarts and two Best Buy's and none of the stores have even gotten them in yet. I was also trying to get some s-video cables for when I take my Wii to my fiance's house, but they don't have those either.

They're at Perrin Kaplan's house.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Aussies - Wii Component Cables will miss launch, but only by a few days.

gprime

Why am I such a moron? I chose the slowest shippest and the package hasn't moved in 4 freaking days! Estimated delivery is a week from today. All I had to do was pay a few extra dollars and I could have them already :(

Pachinko

That diagram doesn't make much sence to me, the pins are numbered and all that but it doesn't exactly show a person who knows little about making their own cables how to go about doing so.

I mean, do you have to send out voltage like that chart shows or can you get away with ripping apart your composite cord and doing some extensive surgery. Surgery that would involve disabling the 3rd pin somewow and connecting your own wires through pins 7,8,9,10,11 while shorting pins 8,10 like it says.

I mean I don't know these things. I'd guess you'd need some very fine gold or copper wire, a soldering iron and 3 female rca jacks to connect to the disabled video end and later one connect a seperatly purchased set of component cables to.

It honestly almost seems like it's alot more trouble then it's worth. I mean even for someone that DOES know what they're doing that looks like a good couple of hours to spend to create it as well as spending maybe 40 bucks on wires and supplies to do the job, that's assuming you allready have a sodering iron. I mean, by all means if it's a hobby to dick around with stuff like this simply to see if it could work then go ahead. I think it could be fun to try to create your own cable but it doesn't seem like it's going to be easy for the majority of us to pull off.

Pachinko said:
It honestly almost seems like it's alot more trouble then it's worth. I mean even for someone that DOES know what they're doing that looks like a good couple of hours to spend to create it as well as spending maybe 40 bucks on wires and supplies to do the job, that's assuming you allready have a sodering iron. I mean, by all means if it's a hobby to dick around with stuff like this simply to see if it could work then go ahead. I think it could be fun to try to create your own cable but it doesn't seem like it's going to be easy for the majority of us to pull off.

My question is... what about the audio if you turn your three plugs on your composite into component? *scratches head*

Pachinko said:
It's not a matter of convenience. It's a matter of not having to wait. With the pinout you can mcgyver your way into 480p if you really wanted to instead of waiting a week or two for the official cables or however long it will end up taking.
wiicomp.jpg

paperclip.jpg

Pachinko

yeah I went to the forum link and read through the whole thread, it still makes very little sence to me but then I know next to nothing about electrical work. Even after reading the guys mini tutorial, and to see the garbled mess he has coming out of his wii... seriously.

If I were to put the effort into doing something like that I'd atleast try to make it look good and well I think that guy still spent a couple of hours getting that setup to work properly. Also what happens if something yanks that cord out or sparks. I mean it's wide open. Perhaps it'sa blessing in desguise that I can't find a wii anywhere and component cables are a good 2 weeks away from showing up.

Jason said:
I just got my cables. :) Any other Canadians get their's today?

What the hell! I ordered mine the same day (15th) and haven't seen anything yet. Canada Post's website claims "Shipping details electronically submitted" and it's been that way since Friday! I NEED MY CABLES!

EDIT: Nintendo still hasn't charged my CC yet they claim it's been shipped. I never did get a shipping confirmation e-mail from them either...I think a phone call is in order...

my Gamecube is laughing its ass off at my Wii, and me, as I play Twilight Princess in composite because my Gamecube has got component cables, and knows its getting Zelda around Dec 11 with non-mirroring. my Gamecube also keeps muttering
"i get the original, i get the original, it was made for ME first not Wii" :lol

Top Bottom