• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to sell Component cables online AND in select retailers in the US.

darscot

Got mine last night and man what a difference. I didn't find it to be that big a hassle. Sure it would have been nice for them to be in stores but I only waited 2 days.

lachesis

gettergooey said:
My TV only has 1 Component connection so it sounds like I'll need some sort of a Component selector box for my DVD player and the Wii.

Can anyone recommend me a good one?

Something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Box-3-Way...9QQihZ009QQcategoryZ41015QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.

https://www.audioauthority.com/index.php?p=productMore&iProduct=3

this one is good. I have, and love it... since it's got toslink/coaxial conversion support.

AA has a new model (which I just deleted the link, due to it's hefty price!!!), but this one I'm using is a golden. :)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Haleon said:
SHIT. Component cables aren't expected to ship from Nintendo until December 18th now.

new update...

Orders entered prior to Wednesday, November 22, 2006 will be shipped in the next couple business days. Orders entered on or after Wednesday November 22, 2006 will ship when our new quantities arrive (week of December 18, 2006).

Pachinko

sweet, glad I placed an order for the things 2 days ago, despite not even owning a wii yet. It seems like a little luck will get me one in the next couple weeks at some point in time.

Looks like the React brand Component Cables are one step closer to being available. Best Buy has pictures of them up, so at least now we know for sure that they exist.
8008988_sa.jpg

Leatherface

DIrtyWeasel said:
Looks like the React brand Component Cables are one step closer to being available. Best Buy has pictures of them up, so at least now we know for sure that they exist.
8008988_sa.jpg

GOD I wish they'd launch soon. I can't take this! >_<

Got mine. Now I just need a cheap (but quality) component switch, so I can play both my 360 and my Wii without having to go behind the TV every time. Anyone know of any?

Fongul

After reasing about the Dec 18th (yeah I know I should have ordered them sooner), I just went ahead and ordered the cables from Play Asia

Total with EMS Shipping (3-5 days) came out to $42 shipped (a little bit over the price at Nintendo Online Store) but well worth it

gkryhewy

MadraptorMan said:
Got mine. Now I just need a cheap (but quality) component switch, so I can play both my 360 and my Wii without having to go behind the TV every time. Anyone know of any?

Whenever someone asks about this, I always recommend the Impact Acoustics 3-play switcher. Metal case, great build quality, powered, only about $45 (FROOGLE link). I have one, and there's no signal loss at all, even at 720p/1080i.

MegaTen

Banned
I'll be playing my Wii on an SDTV. It has component input, but would there be much of a difference in quality between component and s video?

cvxfreak

Japanese and American Nintendo accessories always worked for said systems -- it's external forces that change up compatibility (such as the GB Player boot disc or Japanese TVs only supporting D-Terminal).

Firestorm

cvxfreak said:
Japanese and American Nintendo accessories always worked for said systems -- it's external forces that change up compatibility (such as the GB Player boot disc or Japanese TVs only supporting D-Terminal).

Well, I just ordered the component cables from Yes-Asia. Free shipping and using the coupon "SA3OFFQ4" gives you $5 off your first purchase once you create an account. Came down to $20.99 US ($24.05 Canadian). Says they ship on December 2nd and will get here on December 11th. I think Nintendo has some other thoughts in mind...

lachesis

frogg609 said:
do the component cables also support optical out for audio? i hate it when you get component cables are RCA/composite audio.

Nope.... No optical/coaxial for Wii.. period, Wii/GC only supports Dolby Pro Logic II.

Firestorm

DIrtyWeasel said:
Never heard of Yes Asia. Do they have a good repuation like Play Asia and Lik Sang did?

They're one of the big import websites I think. I think it goes 1. Play-Asia and Lik-Sang, 3. NCSX, 4. Yes-Asia. They seem reputable enough and others on RedFlagDeals (Canadian bargain-hunting website) have said they had a good experience with them.

But we really don't know when Nintendo will put out component cables. Were they ever confirmed for Japanese launch? They're more techy in Japan aren't they?

Fantasmo

lachesis said:
Nope.... No optical/coaxial for Wii.. period, Wii/GC only supports Dolby Pro Logic II.

Well maybe Intec has something interesting up their sleeve, or maybe not. In any case, do a Google search for Intec G5628.

lachesis said:
I do Pro Logic II on the PlayStation 2 through optical all the time. It's just a cleaner way to send the stereo signal.

VPhys

MegaTen said:
I'll be playing my Wii on an SDTV. It has component input, but would there be much of a difference in quality between component and s video?

It will be slightly better, but the bigger difference by far will be going from composite to S-Video. The jump to component after that is only marginal on an SDTV.

SantaC said:
correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a component cable universal?

They are universal on the output end, but not on the input end of the cable.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Matrix said:
new update...

Orders entered prior to Wednesday, November 22, 2006 will be shipped in the next couple business days. Orders entered on or after Wednesday November 22, 2006 will ship when our new quantities arrive (week of December 18, 2006).
Oh, thank heavens...

Sent : Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:51 PM
To : smapty@hotmail.com
Subject : Confirmation for Nintendo Online Store Order #3472112

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
New update...

"
Orders entered prior to Wednesday, November 22, 2006 will be shipped on or after November 28. Orders entered on or after Wednesday November 22, 2006 will ship when our new quantities arrive (week of December 18, 2006).
"

Modifed slightly.

lachesis

Well, I was expecting that they'd probably not doing anything over thanksgiving weekend anyhow... Hopefully, I would be able to get it by next weekend. :)

I ordered on 19th, so hopefully.. it would mean mine would be shipped on 28th....

Andonuts

JoshuaJSlone said:
I do Pro Logic II on the PlayStation 2 through optical all the time. It's just a cleaner way to send the stereo signal.

Yeah but the wii lacks an optical output. The only ports on the back are for the sensor bar, the A/V cables, and the power. Unless they're hiding it somewhere.

Anyway it's a shame. There's a huge difference between using digital out for PLII and just using red and white A/V connectors.

junkster said:
Well maybe Intec has something interesting up their sleeve, or maybe not. In any case, do a Google search for Intec G5628

That's interesting. The product description reads:
" PROVIDES PICTURE CLARITY; UNIT IS COMPATIBLE WITH TVS, PC MONITORS & PROJECTORS EQUIPPED WITH COMPONENT INPUTS; INCLUDES AN OPTICAL UNIT, WHICH GIVES THE OPTION OF CRISP DIGITAL SOUND; PLUG & PLAY; 8 FT"

Compatible with PC monitors? So has VGA also? And optical audio? Sounds fishy to me.

Lhadatt

Andonuts said:
That's interesting. The product description reads:
" PROVIDES PICTURE CLARITY; UNIT IS COMPATIBLE WITH TVS, PC MONITORS & PROJECTORS EQUIPPED WITH COMPONENT INPUTS; INCLUDES AN OPTICAL UNIT, WHICH GIVES THE OPTION OF CRISP DIGITAL SOUND; PLUG & PLAY; 8 FT"

Compatible with PC monitors? So has VGA also? And optical audio? Sounds fishy to me.
Er, read it again. It says nothing about VGA. It says it's a component cable (R/G/B+L/R) with an optical audio out for optional optical hookup. Some newer PC monitors have component inputs.

Firestorm

MiamiWesker said:
I found these Pelican Wii component cables online to order now. Buy it here or here.

Darn, one day too late. It seems NPN Direct ships to Canada. Use USPS for $7.95 shipping instead of being raped by the huge FedEx and UPS fees.

Andonuts said:
Yeah but the wii lacks an optical output. The only ports on the back are for the sensor bar, the A/V cables, and the power. Unless they're hiding it somewhere.
I imagine it would just work like this Xbox cable?

Andonuts said:
It says compatible with TVs, PC monitors, and projectors equipped with component inputs, which isn't really saying anything. It's compatible with toasters equipped with component inputs, too, if there are any.

Danm they only have the option for regular shipping meaning it will take 5-7 buisness days. For that I just wait for the Nintendo ones, it ships on the 28th for me.

Will Component cables make a noticable difference on a regular non HD-ED TV?

My TV takes component cables... Figure it won't hurt anything to buy them, as I'll be getting an HDTV sometime anyway.

Top Bottom