• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Treehouse team got a thank-you gift from 4chan's video games board.

ShadyJ

deceased at some members here giving a pass to the vile language thrown around by the cesspit of the internet.

Because it's the internet, why get mad about it?

Are you going to lump everyone into a pool miscreants even though some of them did a nice thing for a group of people?

So, we are envyous because some users on a (prevalently american) discussion board sent a present on an american group, and nobody on this (prevalently international) forum had the same idea, because here we are accustomed on making threads and discussing with them?

It is just this?

chadboban

So, we are envyous because some users on a (prevalently american) discussion board sent a present on an american group, and nobody on this (prevalently international) forum had the same idea, because here we are accustomed on making threads and discussing with them?

It is just this?

I think the guy who puts together these cards for the board was in Australia last time I checked. At least that's where the Kojima card came from. Not too sure if it's the same guy who made this one though.

Chaos17

Let me point out once again that when Iwata announced he had health issues that prevented him from going to E3, /v/ wrote him a get well soon card while the GAF thread concerning the news was filled with childish console warrior snipes.

This kinda a good example why it's difficult for us to do the same, imo.

Yoroshiku

Banned
I wanted to apologize for some of the things I said. I know the kinds of words they use over there and I got angry because of it. That word in particular really hurts me, but it is no excuse to lash out (something I've been trying to get under control), so again, I sincerely apologize.

You know what, I totally get that. I know a few people who are generally very good company and avid supporters of LGTB issues, but use the word "faggot" not as a slur for homosexuals but like a substitute for "asshole." I felt like you were unfairly demonizing them and that's why I called you out. Of course I would prefer it if they didn't use the word "faggot," but I know they have their heart in the right place and that's why I just let them run with it.

Tripon

I think the guy who puts together these cards for the board was in Australia last time I checked. At least that's where the Kojima card came from. Not too sure if it's the same guy who made this one though.

This card was hand delivered to Nintendo(So somebody lived in Redmond), and the postage was around $50 this time. The guy who put together the collage probably was in the States.

chadboban

This card was hand delivered to Nintendo(So somebody lived in Redmond), and the postage was around $50 this time. The guy who put together the collage probably was in the States.

Okay cool. Regardless of where it came from, it was a lovely gesture and I'm happy to see that they acknowledged it.

Odrion

Banned
That was a neat gesture.

I disagree with how saying the n-word, f-word, c-word, whatever, is harmless as long as you're doing it in a community that accepts it. How I see it, doing that sort of stuff ends up blazing a trail through your neurons that will more often than not, cause some of that online detritus to spill over in real life. But this is purely anecdotal from my experiences and past experiences with friends who go to similar boards.
Sigh.

No one really has the right to tell someone they shouldn't be offended by something. Common words on 4chan are pretty shitty, even if they're meant in total jest. I've had people tell me in my life I shouldn't be offended by something and the only extent to which I've accepted that has been whether it's better to fight that battle or let it go. Sometimes I should have fought it and didn't, other times I should have let it go and didn't, but I've never felt like anyone else is in a position to tell me why I shouldn't feel the way I do.

I find it funny GAF is labeled SJWs and feminazis because I usually see the opposite here. Though if this thread proves anything, outsiders only see a community for its loudest members. Maybe instead of figuring out why we should all hate each other, let's just focus on improving ourselves and ignoring the people that can't get their acts together.

Finally, stop creeping on people. Male, female, gay, straight, whatever, it's creepy. Don't do something you feel like wouldn't be acceptable in polite society. This is general life advice.
You're one of the best, alberto.

JDSN

Banned
Yes, words do offend people and you cannot pretend that all their meaning are flowing concepts that can be purposely ignored when it fits the ignorant shit you spit, when you use the N-word you don't mean ignorant because I sure as hell have never seen some someone using it negatively towards non-blacks, the fact that you linked to some bullshit a comedian said as the definitive eassy on the correct use of Faggot only makes you look foolish.

Also, your made up black/gay/transgender friend that thinks is fine doesnt count.

JDSN

Banned
did people link that louie bit that he rescinded on yet

I might as well do it, I didnt read all the posts but the arguments are always recycled, here are the top three obligatory linked material by the asshole brigade:

3.Chris Rock - Black People Vs Niggaz
2.Louis C.K. Faggot, Cunt, Nigger
1. Bullshit picture that people post about tolerating intolerance........said by a gay's right advocate in the context of the dangerous defense mechanism used by people that propagate islamophobia. Yes, a quote about tolerating all religions said by an atheist is now something twats quotes when telling gays not to complain.

Kater

Banned
@JDSN: I only posted that Chris Rock interview because I wasn't sure if that one poster was talking about that in particular. Wasn't aware of the this scandal until that other poster brought it up, so I wanted to know how it was related. It was a stupid thing to link to it.

edit:
Erased the link.

JDSN

Banned
@JDSN: I only posted that Chris Rock interview because I wasn't sure if that one poster was talking about that in particular. If it is not okay to post that link here I will of course edit it out.

I dont believe its controversial nor offensive, and my post wasnt aimed at you since you were just posting a link, it was about this weak defenses and excuses people do to justify situations of intolerance, they always use the argument of idiosyncrasy and muddy definitions of words without realizing the irony that their argument is "B-But its all about the context!" while ignoring the context of anyone that is offended by it. In many ways I find that defense of bigotry as hurtful as the act itself because fundamentally they are born from the same place: Apathy.

Kater

Banned
I dont believe its controversial nor offensive, and my post wasnt aimed at you, it was about this weak defenses and excuses people do to justify situations of intolerance, they always use the argument of idiosyncrasy and muddy definitions of words without realizing the irony that their argument is "B-But its all about the context!" while ignoring the context of anyone that is offended by it. In many ways I find that defense of bigotry as hurtful as the act itself because fundamentally they are born from the same place: Apathy.

Ah, okay. I'm relieved, I thought I did something stupid when I saw your post (the one that I replied to before) about Chris Rock.
And I agree with your post of course.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I dont believe its controversial nor offensive, and my post wasnt aimed at you, it was about this weak defenses and excuses people do to justify situations of intolerance, they always use the argument of idiosyncrasy and muddy definitions of words without realizing the irony that their argument is "B-But its all about the context!" while ignoring the context of anyone that is offended by it. In many ways I find that defense of bigotry as hurtful as the act itself because fundamentally they are born from the same place: Apathy.

Eh but black people use the word nigga all the time. I'm black. Having issue with an anonymous board using that version of the word is utterly worthless as you do not know if they're black or not. They may well be black. They may well be gay etc.

Unless you somehow have issue with black people using it (which is your own personal issue whether black or not). that is the core issue of this. It's not simply the words but who saying it and why and it's a context you can't ignore or remove because quite simply things aren't that simple.

anaron

Sigh.

Finally, stop creeping on people. Male, female, gay, straight, whatever, it's creepy. Don't do something you feel like wouldn't be acceptable in polite society. This is general life advice.
I mostly entirely agree, moreso when applied to women; but admitting someone is attractive and talking about such is hardly creepy until it crosses over into gross objectification and weird sexual detailing. Barring the person who tracked down vacation photos from (Facebook?) I'd like to think the Erik stuff is pretty lighthearted and not indicative of someone actually approaching the dude and harassing him.

JDSN

Banned
Eh but black people use the word nigga all the time. I'm black. Having issue with an anonymous board using that version of the word is utterly worthless as you do not know if they're black or not. They may well be black.

Unless you somehow have issue with black people using it (which is your own personal issue). that is the core issue of this. It's not simply the words but who saying it and why and it's a context you can't ignore or remove because quite simply things aren't that simple.

Oh, you are black, thats neat. I am talking about the other n-word which apparently some black people do have a problem with even when said to each other. I am not black, but I am capable of understanding that some people might have a problem with certain words that have an historic meaning that are still used by shitty people in order to dehumanize others, im also aware that if I use them I might not get a chance to tell the offended party that they have no right to be angry since I was using them in a context I just brought into existence to justify the fact hurt someone without noticing. Ill probably look like a damn fool in the process.

If you weren't aware that im not black, would you be totally okay with me calling a black dude a nigger because I "may well be black"?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh, you are black, thats neat. I am talking about the other n-word which apparently some black people do have a problem with even when said to each other. I am not black, but I am capable of understanding that some people might have a problem with certain words that have an historic meaning that are still used by shitty people in order to dehumanize others, im also aware that if I use them I might not get a chance to tell the offended party that they have no right to be angry since I was using them in a context I just brought into existence to justify the fact hurt someone without noticing. Ill probably look like a damn fool in the process.

If you weren't aware that im not black, would you be totally okay with me calling a black dude a nigger because I "may well be black"?

I don't have an issue with the word nigger. I have a friend that occasionally calls his white friends nigger. The spreading of the word separation is fairly recent and obviously there's little difference when spoken. It's generally fairly obvious when someone's sending direct offensive intent and casual intent you either leave alone or call out but it's a case by case basis.

Fact of the matter is someone doesn't have to use a slur to be offensive, offensive words generally weren't originally offensive, they are simply words separated out to hurt another individual in the easiest manner. You have to read that intent, if you can't then I personally leave them be. Life to short to worry about some random persons online vague usage of word was used with offensive intent or not. Whether some person you have no information about what so ever is actually being racist or not. Sure you could whitewash everyone as bigots, but that's simply stereotyping, and what everyone's trying to avoid because it's inaccurate and offensive.

I make judgements on individuals and their statements based on what they personally say, do and act. If some makes a statement that could be perceived as offensive I do not personally take unless the statement is either clear or there's other information leading me to believe that's what he meant.

Top Bottom