• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

A single joy con costs the same amount as a Wii Remote did. I've no issue with them since there's a ton of tech in them.

But that pro controller price point, is yeesh.

Bulbasaur

Banned
This would have complimented Zelda so well on launch day.

I'm hoping that this game's mechanic does for fighting games what Splatoon's gyro did for shooters. Day 1.

Cartho

My only issue with it seems to be that, for the ideal 2 player experience, you would need 2 sets of Joycons. As I think I'm right in saying that each person needs one joycon for each hand?

Neiteio

I can totally see Sakurai looking at the characters in this game and wanting to add them to Smash. The stretchy arms reminds me of Corrin's side special.

random25

It'd be hype as hell. I hope they require motion controls for the competitive scene, though, with window-in-window views of the player. I really liked watching the players in the stream and seeing their different stances, how they exert control, etc.

Imagine real-life pro boxers joining the competition and demolish players by pure boxing instincts lol.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
You can't be serious? Why doesn't Nintendo give us 4 controllers right out of the box?

When has a console manufacturer ever done that? I mean seriously, when has that ever happened? How is that a realistic expectation? Did your PS4 come with 4 controllers? Your Xbox One? Your Wii U? Your PS3? Your Xbox 360? Your Wii? Your PS2? Your Xbox? Your PS1? I mean, we can run through the entire history of videogame consoles and I don't believe there's been a single console ever that came with 4 controllers out of the box. The Switch is actually at least slightly kinder in this regard in that there are two usable "controllers" from the get-go in the form of the Joy Cons. Sure, they don't allow for multiplayer for all games, but something like Mario Kart would be playable two players straight out of the box.

This is a ridiculous complaint. If you want to complain about the price of Joy Cons then yeah, I am right there with you. The fact that you have to buy more controllers though is not the problem. The pricing of them is.

EDIT: It occurs to me that this was sarcasm, but if it was, then this can just be directed at the first guy who complained that he had to buy more controllers for multiplayer I guess...

Neiteio

My only issue with it seems to be that, for the ideal 2 player experience, you would need 2 sets of Joycons. As I think I'm right in saying that each person needs one joycon for each hand?
It would appear Joycons are sold in sets of two, unless I'm mistaken.

Also, you can use classic controls if needed.

Tain

It's probably more directly inspired by Gundam Vs than Virtual On.

I mean Virtual On is the granddaddy but still.

edit: watching the footage beyond the announcement I'm less sure now, lol. Game looks dope regardless.

Neiteio

Hopefully we have another great new Nintendo IP here.
I'm confident this is the next great Nintendo IP. Just a matter of Nintendo marketing it right. It's made by some of their most talented developers, and it resembles a hero game in the Overwatch era. If they play their cards right, it could find an audience.

Doorman

A single joy con costs the same amount as a Wii Remote did. I've no issue with them since there's a ton of tech in them.

But that pro controller price point, is yeesh.
In fairness, the Pro Controller contains all of that same tech, minus the IR camera, and boasts a better general comfort level, better D-pad, and double the joy-con's battery life.

Granted I'm not thrilled with the price either, but this also isn't a Wii U Pro situation where it lacked motion control or even basic rumble. For what they're charging for a pair of Joy-con, I can at least somewhat understand.

Back to ARMS itself, I caught a bit of this stream live but I'll enjoy seeing it in greater detail after work. I'm very intrigued by how the game is shaping up so far. I'm not concerned with the number of fighters or fists, I'm sure there will be enough variety to pick from, but single player is a small concern. I'll give the devs the benefit of the doubt for now, though.

Neiteio

If the net code is solid, this could justify an online subscription in my mind. An endless supply of challengers, ready to get rekt.

I'm going to get rekt, go easy on me.

I'm confident this is the next great Nintendo IP. Just a matter of Nintendo marketing it right. It's made by some of their most talented developers, and it resembles a hero game in the Overwatch era. If they play their cards right, it could find an audience.

Definitely. I just need some single player content to be fully convinced. The only reason I'm a little worried on that front is due to it being so close to launch. Hopefully they've had plenty of time to pack this thing with content.

I would love to see this at Evo. It needs to replace Smash Bros Melee.

Lmao.

Back to reality, this is the Switch game I'm most excited about atm. I wonder how long it's been in development for, though. I'm concerned the game may be light on content out of the gate. Assuming it gets the full Splatoon treatment, I could see this being another break out hit for Nintendo.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Yeah, although in order for the characters to truly reach the level of popularity that they deserve, they need new names. Spring Boy and Ribbon Girl are far too generic and just not interesting enough. I mean, in the middle of a frantic match of Overwatch, I may call McCree "Cowboy," Genji "Ninja" and Winston "Monkey," but that's just for clarity's sake.

These character designs are pretty good and they deserve better names than something so obvious.

Clefargle

I love nearly everything about the game besides the fact that it looks difficult to combo reliably

All the combos I saw were the preset ones

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I love the direction of Nintendo: The Next Generation. I hope this takes off like Splatoon did.

Notice the release date is Spring
raw

Neiteio

Definitely. I just need some single player content to be fully convinced. The only reason I'm a little worried on that front is due to it being so close to launch. Hopefully they've had plenty of time to pack this thing with content.
Hard to say if it'll be rich in content, but I think for this first showing they were trying to contain the scope so people could understand the game's concept. They've already confirmed there will be more characters, for example.

Yeah, although in order for the characters to truly reach the level of popularity that they deserve, they need new names. Spring Boy and Ribbon Girl are far too generic and just not interesting enough. I mean, in the middle of a frantic match of Overwatch, I may call McCree "Cowboy," Genji "Ninja" and Winston "Monkey," but that's just for clarity's sake.

These character designs are pretty good and they deserve better names than something so obvious.
I like the character names, but yeah, they're not the kind of names that make it easy to search them online, for example. That's one reason I think fan artists will have some trouble finding each other.

morikaze

Banned
Every time I see this game all I can think of is a cynical press laying in wait to 7.5 it.

As I glanced over your comment I jumbled all the words together and somehow imagined the idea of people getting extra serious with ARMS and playing the game with wrist weights attached to their arms making the game more challenging and kind of a work out in a way. I guess you could even play using weighted gloves if you could find something heavy enough (maybe 5lbs each hand) that would also be flexible enough to manipulate the joy con efficiently. I do realize how ridiculous this idea is.

Schnozberry

The Treehouse stream explained the basics of the Rock Paper Scissors dynamic between punching, grabbing, and blocking. Then you have the additional layers of jumping, dashing, and being able to bend punches. On top of that, heavier and lighter characters have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. It seems like a really well thought out fighting system.

HardRojo

At first I didn't really like it much, but I watched more and it grew on me, so hopefully the game ships with enough content to make it relevant in the market, and not just a launch window Switch game that'll be fun for a few weeks and then forgotten.

Hard to say if it'll be rich in content, but I think for this first showing they were trying to contain the scope so people could understand the game's concept. They've already confirmed there will be more characters, for example.

Oh yeah, there will definitely be a lot more in the game than what was shown during the event, I'm not worried about that.

When has a console manufacturer ever done that? I mean seriously, when has that ever happened? How is that a realistic expectation? Did your PS4 come with 4 controllers? Your Xbox One? Your Wii U? Your PS3? Your Xbox 360? Your Wii? Your PS2? Your Xbox? Your PS1? I mean, we can run through the entire history of videogame consoles and I don't believe there's been a single console ever that came with 4 controllers out of the box. The Switch is actually at least slightly kinder in this regard in that there are two usable "controllers" from the get-go in the form of the Joy Cons. Sure, they don't allow for multiplayer for all games, but something like Mario Kart would be playable two players straight out of the box.

This is a ridiculous complaint. If you want to complain about the price of Joy Cons then yeah, I am right there with you. The fact that you have to buy more controllers though is not the problem. The pricing of them is.

EDIT: It occurs to me that this was sarcasm, but if it was, then this can just be directed at the first guy who complained that he had to buy more controllers for multiplayer I guess...

Yeah, it was sarcasm. Lol

Dragbolt

I'm gonna echo the people who say that ARMS reminds them of Splatoon. New colourful IP with distinct character designs, generally well received with good impressions by people who have played it. Probably won't be as breakout a hit as Splatoon was, but ARMS looks like it will do quite well.

Neiteio

I could see:

Zelda BotW - March (confirmed)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - April (confirmed)
ARMS - May
Splatoon 2 - June

edit: And yeah, Poo was pointing out it's a spring release for a game about spring-armed fighters, lol

Not that I'm a motion control bogeyman by any stretch but my interest massively increased when they mentioned button controls as an option even if I like the idea of trying out the motion, kinda feel like that confirms it wont be a wii boxing 2.0 kerfuffle.

Anyway, can't wait to see more characters and content, there's potential here and I just hope it doesn't end up being half baked as a result of early console release syndrome.

Neiteio

The real question is, if there's an ARMS character in Smash Switch, who will it be: Spring Man or Ribbon Girl?

Answer:
Both, in the same slot — one being the alternate of the other!

Top Bottom