• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

Avallon

I do not see the appeal of this title at all, but GAF sure seems hyped for it. Personally, I think it will flop at retail, but who knows.

zoukka

It'd be hype as hell. I hope they require motion controls for the competitive scene, though, with window-in-window views of the player. I really liked watching the players in the stream and seeing their different stances, how they exert control, etc.

Will never ever happen.

Neiteio

I'm normally pretty cynical about motion controls, but they look great in this game imo.
The motion controls really do look great. This is the first time I've been excited for motion controls since... well, since E3 2006 with Wii Sports. And the tech/design here is light years ahead of what we had then. Not to mention there are strong mechanics built around those controls this time.

It's the game I waited since the Wii was announced in 2006. More casual appeal but apparently has some deep mechanics. Still the name is really bad.

guek

Banned
Notice the release date is Spring
raw

lol

This looks so wonderfully... arcade. When I glimpsed at it first, I thought: "Yeah fuck that, gimme a new Fight Night."

I guess I did a 180 on that thought. I may have strongly underestimated this game. This looks like great fun.

Coffinhal

This needs to have the same depth as Splatton (both on gameplay and content sides) otherwise it will have the same future as Wii Sports, without the same audience

Peléo

Like the OP said, you can use traditional controls. So each person can play with a single joycon.

Even though they have confirmed traditional controls, there is no indication you will be able to play with a single Joy-Con. They might have been referring to the Grip or the Pro-Controller when they said it.

This game is slowly winning me over. I was really bitter at first that they made this and it could have been a new Punch Out instead. That's my fault though.

Anyway - is it safe to assume in this case the "Spring" release date is late May? That would put it in a similar spot to Mario Kart 8's original release (and a time of the year Nintendo seems to like releasing stuff) but a month after MK 8 deluxe so they have some time to breathe?

Doorman

I understand the rationale, but I really wish that the game's initial reveal trailer focused less on the people (as amusing as overly-serious jacked up businessman was) and game controls, and more on the variety of characters, selectable fists with different effects, multiple environments and so on. The trailer didn't need much quasi-controls tutorial in it since they went over all of that in the stage demo anyway, and it would have done a better job of assuring viewers of the game's content and core appeal.

My fear, at least for the moment, is that they should have positioned this as "A unique new legit fighting game from Nintendo, and it has neat new motion controls," when the inital reveal gave more an impression of "goofy arm-flailing motion-boxing minigame, oh and there's some other characters too." Koizumi introduced it as their title with depth and replay ability but I don't think that part of it was portrayed as well as it should have been.

I suppose that's the curse of games with unconventional control schemes like ARMS though, they needed to devote time to explain how you play, instead of solely focusing on what you can do when you play like most game announcements.

Zemm

I need to see some good players playing this because so far it looks dull as hell. Even Snipclips looked fun but this looks slow and boring. I'm sure there's potential for it to be good but I'm not seeing it with these players yet. Poor demonstration of what could be a good, fun game.

psyfi

Banned
This game is slowly winning me over. I was really bitter at first that they made this and it could have been a new Punch Out instead. That's my fault though.
I'm far more interested in this than Punch Out, personally. They can do more weird stuff with this, and it's not so trapped in the more realistic (but still cartoony of course) boxing aesthetic, which carries no appeal with me.

Neiteio

I understand the rationale, but I really wish that the game's initial reveal trailer focused less on the people (as amusing as overly-serious jacked up businessman was) and game controls, and more on the variety of characters, selectable fists with different effects, multiple environments and so on. The trailer didn't need much quasi-controls tutorial in it since they went over all of that in the stage demo anyway, and it would have done a better job of assuring viewers of the game's content and core appeal.

My fear, at least for the moment, is that they should have positioned this as "A unique new legit fighting game from Nintendo, and it has neat new motion controls," when the inital reveal gave more an impression of "goofy arm-flailing motion-boxing minigame, oh and there's some other characters too." Koizumi introduced it as their title with depth and replay ability but I don't think that part of it was portrayed as well as it should have been.

I suppose that's the curse of games with unconventional control schemes like ARMS though, they needed to devote time to explain how you play, instead of solely focusing on what you can do when you play like most game announcements.
I trust that subsequent trailers will focus more on what you want to see. For now, though, I think they did exactly what they needed to do with the trailer, which was showcasing how you play and how it's exciting.

The live-action part was beautifully choreographed. I think the best parts are when they show the subtle tweaks of the wrist to curve the punch, or flicking the joy-cons inward to block. It was quick but conveyed how naturally everything controls.

Neiteio

I need to see some good players playing this because so far it looks dull as hell. Even Snipclips looked fun but this looks slow and boring. I'm sure there's potential for it to be good but I'm not seeing it with these players yet. Poor demonstration of what could be a good, fun game.
I hope you check out the more advanced fights they show near the end of each stream. Both streams (English and Japanese) start out slow since they're teaching how to play, but the matches get intense when everyone's air-stepping, arcing punches in different directions, parrying throws, weaving in and out, etc.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I trust that subsequent trailers will focus more on what you want to see. For now, though, I think they did exactly what they needed to do with the trailer, which was showcasing how you play and how it's exciting.

The live-action part was beautifully choreographed. I think the best parts are when they show the subtle tweaks of the wrist to curve the punch, or flicking the joy-cons inward to block. It was quick but conveyed how naturally everything controls.

Yeah, but that was actually a negative I think. Since the actors weren't actually playing the game, it came off as a little disingenuous and not representative of actual gameplay. It was unnecessary and they should have let the game and the gameplay speak for itself.

Neiteio

Yeah, but that was actually a negative I think. Since the actors weren't actually playing the game, it came off as a little disingenuous and not representative of actual gameplay. It was unnecessary and they should have let the game and the gameplay speak for itself.
To be fair, the way they depicted the inputs is pretty accurate. Like the Asian girl tilting both controllers one way to sidestep, or crossing to block. It was immediately juxtaposed with in-game footage of each move so you can see how the controls translate to actual gameplay.

m4st4

I went from whatever to Day 1 for this game, honestly can't wait to play it. I have a feeling it's going to be vanilla flavored compared to some other robust fighting games in terms of initial content (think SFV launch vs. Tekken/Arc System games) but as long as it delivers (at least):

a) Single Player
b) Arcade mode
c) 10-12 characters

I'll be more than okay with my purchase.

raviolico

How will they handle/balance portable vs. TV mode controls im online matches?
One person sitting in the train, both hands gripping around the Switch, the other punching in front of the tv?

Neiteio

The girl with the arms shirt is totally happy to be there lol.
If you're talking about the model with the mask and the odd haircut ("ARMS Girl"), yeah, she seems really dour, but it's a character she's playing. She's supposed to be the champ. There's a guy model ("ARMS Boy") who is equally serious and stone-faced.

ARMS Girl does crack a few smiles at the end, though!

Speely

Banned
Everything about this is awesome. Power Stone and Virtual On are two of my fav franchises, so it's no real surprise I am so into this.

It also makes me want a new Virtual On game for the Switch.

ARMS |OT| Spring Smash

rokero

The music is giving me Rio Carnival vibes sounds great, they should have a grab release mechanic by doing an inverse block motion at the precise moment your grabbed, also I don't like that the opponent can see what gloves your going to be using in the fight they should make that a secret selection, I agree Ribbon Girl and Spring Man need better names, I really like this game hope it sells well

m4st4

Obviously happens with any quality game developer out there and isn't Nintendo exclusive thing - but every time I see a well established Nintendo brand or in case of Splatoon and now ARMS new IP, I'm in constant awe of their ability to make me forget about the usual background noise and just think about the game and how polished and fun it looks, how I want to actually PLAY it instead of overanalyze.

TS-08

How will they handle/balance portable vs. TV mode controls im online matches?
One person sitting in the train, both hands gripping around the Switch, the other punching in front of the tv?

I don't see any reason to worry about that. It's up to the person to accept any kind of risk like controller imbalance when they choose to go online at any given moment.

jwillenn

Yeah ive played this a lot and it surprised me. Its far deeper than you might give it credit for after once trying it out. So many strategies when attacking and defending. But content is crucial, hoping for enough characters and weapons.

And i wouldnt wanna play this without the 'wii' setup. It amplifies how good the motion tracking is in the joycons. Extremely precise.

Edit: of course if you cant do motion gaming cause of disability thats another story

Been reading/hearing that a lot! Very good! So, did you have to re-calibrate at all during your sessions? And how is it for pointing (cursor/cross-hair control)? Would it be fine for a Sin & Punishment 2 or Trauma Center SO/NB/TT?

guek

Banned
My hype for this game grows by the hour. I feel like I'm going to get a lot out of online play between this and splatoon 2.

Top Bottom