• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Voice Chat Episode 54

vanguardian1 said:
For Crystal Bearers, take a look at most of the E3'09 previews. Some were saying it's like Zelda (gameplay), some Disaster : Day of Crisis (QTE), some even said GTA elements (sandbox overworld).

In regards to the IGN Wii team, anymore I have to take any comments and opinions they give a grain of salt, IMHO they simply aren't reviewing and discussing the Wii platform reliably, they have too much of an "agenda" with it so to speak.

Their job now seems to make fun of the Wii and it's owners, make puns and laughs. There are many games that are worth a damn about like the ones listed in this thread, but for some reason they elect to discuss about useless things that we don't care about. I really miss the useless dark game hints tho

AniHawk

billy.sea said:
Pretty impressive list. Yet people still say their Wii is collecting dust.
I have so many games I want:

Little King's Story
Wii Sports Resort
Muramasa
Monster Hunter 3
Dragon Quest X
Red Steel 2
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Metroid Other M
Silent Hill : Shattered Memories
No More Heroes 2
Fragile
A Boy & His Blob
Sin & Punishment 2
Dead Space Extraction
Rabbids Go Home
New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Pretty similar to mine. I wont be getting Fragile, the survival horror games, Muramasa, MH3, or Red Steel 2. I'll fill those gaps with Pikmin 3 and Icarian.

Putting games like Legend of Zelda and Pikmin 3 are like including Resident Evil PSP on a most-wanted list for PSP games. Sure it's pretty likely the game will kick ass, but we know pretty much nothing about them yet.

I think 2008 really killed the system for a lot of people. It was an awful, awful year. No More Heroes and Endless Ocean kicked it off (which, honestly, isn't that great a way to kick off a year), SSBB and Mario Kart followed aaaaand there was Wario Land after Wii Fit and that was it. 2009 has been the system's best by a long shot, but the general terribleness from 2008 still lingers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
AniHawk said:
I think 2008 really killed the system for a lot of people. It was an awful, awful year. No More Heroes and Endless Ocean kicked it off (which, honestly, isn't that great a way to kick off a year), SSBB and Mario Kart followed aaaaand there was Wario Land after Wii Fit and that was it. 2009 has been the system's best by a long shot, and the general terribleness from 2008 still lingers.
Spot on.

Shadowlink said:
Don't expect to hear anything from Matt about Retro Studios. He might be under NDA.

Under NDA? For what? Their "Dark Game" that they are making... Seriously tho, I don't think there will be anything besides an interview about Metriod Trilogy and the current staff, and the how they handled the studio after the departure of the 3 key staff.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
LINK.AGE76 said:
Their job now seems to make fun of the Wii and it's owners, make puns and laughs. There are many games that are worth a damn about like the ones listed in this thread, but for some reason they elect to discuss about useless things that we don't care about. I really miss the useless dark game hints tho

Pretty much. I like GoNin*endo in a way, but with just nintendo it just isn't enough. I sure don't know of any other websites that actually tries to cover everything without being crazy for-or-against nintendo. :(

gerg

vanguardian1 said:
Pretty much. I like GoNin*endo in a way, but with just nintendo it just isn't enough. I sure don't know of any other websites that actually tries to cover everything without being crazy for-or-against nintendo. :(

GoNin_endo is a great "catch-all" website for anything even remotely related to Nintendo, but you have to be careful with a lot of their content. They don't seem to check sources much, and although this can be expected from what basically amounts to a blog run by a man and his family and friends, you'd hope they'd have improved over the years. It doesn't seem that they have.

Sadist

AniHawk said:
I don't see TVC or Final Fantasy out this year (and A Boy and His Blob is a maybe), and Spyborgs and Fragile may not be that good. I'd add Icarian and Dead Space to the list though.
You know Ani, if they push back T vs. C to the first quarter of 2010 Capcom will have 3 titles lined up for Q1 '10. Resident Evil TDSC, Tvs.C and Monster Hunter Tri. Maybe Capcom will push back MH to Q2.

And IGN are a bunch of twats. I'm very interested in Dead Space Extraction, Spyborgs, New. Super Mario Bros. Wii, Silent Hill, Rabbids Go Home. If they make it, Final Fantasy CC TCB and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom will also be bought. A Boy and his Blob to. And I have an interest for delayed releases like Ghostbusters and Tales of Symphonia DotNW.
Yes, I know about ToS DotNW, but I still want it

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Sadist said:
Yes, I know about ToS DotNW, but I still want it

I thought it was quite enjoyable, especially with my own monster squad slaughtering everything.
Far more than Vesperia, which I actually stopped out of boredom. Sadly I seem to be one of the only gaffers disappointed with it.

jibblypop

Banned
Sometimes when I hear these podcasts I start to wonder if "hardcore game" only means bloody first person shooter to the IGN guys.

I'm starting to realize that, however IGN seems to define "hardcore gamer", that definition no longer includes me.

*goes back to playing more Little King's Story*

These are the guys that marketed The Conduit for a year and they can't think of at least six better games on the machine that would appeal to traditional gamers for the rest of the year? I can think of three that are platformers.[/QUOTE]

They are there own worst enemy. Wii fans who can't mask their own bitterness about dealing with the Wii.

EDarkness

tintinrudd said:
They are there own worst enemy. Wii fans who can't mask their own bitterness about dealing with the Wii.

Can you blame them? The system hasn't turned out in any way like we thought it would. Now they're stuck on the Wii channel working on a system they don't really care about and really isn't going to get the game they like to play. Maybe they should be more upbeat, but can't blame them for not being happy about the situation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Darkside Chronicles was delayed? Wow, wtf is going on with Q1 next year, seriously.

AniHawk said:
Pretty similar to mine. I wont be getting Fragile, the survival horror games, Muramasa, MH3, or Red Steel 2. I'll fill those gaps with Pikmin 3 and Icarian.

Putting games like Legend of Zelda and Pikmin 3 are like including Resident Evil PSP on a most-wanted list for PSP games. Sure it's pretty likely the game will kick ass, but we know pretty much nothing about them yet.

I think 2008 really killed the system for a lot of people. It was an awful, awful year. No More Heroes and Endless Ocean kicked it off (which, honestly, isn't that great a way to kick off a year), SSBB and Mario Kart followed aaaaand there was Wario Land after Wii Fit and that was it. 2009 has been the system's best by a long shot, but the general terribleness from 2008 still lingers.

You won't be getting Silent Hill? Even after your stellar E3 impressions?

I personally think Wii GOTY will be between Silent Hill and NSMB. I think both will really surprise people (those who may think "lol PS2/PSP port" and "lol DS port", mainly.)

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Andrex said:

I personally think Wii GOTY will be between Silent Hill and NSMB. I think both will really surprise people (those who may think "lol PS2/PSP port" and "lol DS port", mainly.)
Same for me. Unless, that is, FFCC comes out this year. Then it might be close... at least I hope that game is good enough to be a contender for Wii GOTY.

And I bet nothing big will come out of this Retro visit.

carlo6529

LINK.AGE76 said:
I believe they aren't going to talk about anything new besides the status of the studio and maybe an interview on Metriod Trilogy.

That all sounds like stuff they can do over the phone. Why go to the studio then?

carlo6529 said:
That all sounds like stuff they can do over the phone. Why go to the studio then?

He has nothing to do at the studio so used it as an excuse to leave the studio :lol

But we will see, hopefully something new comes out of it. At least some hits would be nice.

JDSN

Banned
I guess the marketing continues post launch:

Conduit Developers Want To Do Sequel
High Voltage has more stories to tell in the series. Fans need to buy more copies.
by Jim Reilly

August 6, 2009 - Fans hoping for a sequel to Nintendo's exclusive first-person shooter will have to buy a couple more copies each.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TunaLover said:
I love how they ignore other games because they aren´t their manly FPS fix.

OK, I think this is getting a bit out of hand. The IGN Wii team is huge on creative and innovative games that make use of the Wii fully. You all call their Conduit gallivanting shameless, yet I heard no complaints when they were shoving Zack & Wiki down our throats. In addition, they were one of the first gaming sites to give Little King's Story major coverage, and have followed it since it was only called "Project O".

I get that it's cool and everything to hate on IGN, and these podcasts give ample out-of-context ammo, but the Wii team is the best one on the site. They're human and make mistakes, but their dedication to the Wii and their desire to see it become the best console it can be is genuine.

Andrex said:
OK, I think this is getting a bit out of hand. The IGN Wii team is huge on creative and innovative games that make use of the Wii fully. You all call their Conduit gallivanting shameless, yet I heard no complaints when they were shoving Zack & Wiki down our throats. In addition, they were one of the first gaming sites to give Little King's Story major coverage, and have followed it since it was only called "Project O".

I get that it's cool and everything to hate on IGN, and these podcasts give ample out-of-context ammo, but the Wii team is the best one on the site. They're human and make mistakes, but their dedication to the Wii and their desire to see it become the best console it can be is genuine.

I like the Wii IGN team, but I kinda feel sorry for them because they don't that much to talk about compared to other consoles.

TunaLover

Andrex said:

Sure they´re passionated about Wii, but sometimes it feels like they can´t overcome their personal preferences in a more professional way.

Davey Cakes

AniHawk said:
2008 was an underrated year for Wii. There's everything you mentioned, but don't forget games like Boom Blox for the first half and de Blob for the second. On top of that, WiiWare launched and I think it had a pretty impressive first year overall, and in a way even carried Wii during the slow times in 2008.

LINK.AGE76 said:
I like the Wii IGN team, but I kinda feel sorry for them because they don't that much to talk about compared to other consoles.
Don't feel sorry for them. They've said on multiple podcasts how much they love working for the Nintendo team even though the Wii doesn't get all the high-profile games.

Mudkips

Banned
Andrex said:

I hate IGN's bullshit pimping of The Conduit.
I hated it for Zack & Wiki.
I hated it for Eternal Darkness.

Matt is a terrible, terrible journalist, and in the realm of video game journalism that's saying something.

IGN hasn't covered Little King's Story for shit past it's initial announcement.

Out of context ammo? Their fucking podcast is called "Nintendo Voice Chat" because of Matt's "I want voice chat" whining bullshit. It's fully in context, and the podcast is just concentrated crap from them, so they get concentrated hate.

AniHawk

Andrex said:

I'm waiting to see what the rest of the game turns out to be. Money is tight and I won't have a lot of time to play games.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
I'm waiting to see what the rest of the game turns out to be. Money is tight and I won't have a lot of time to play games.

It's just you kinda drove me over the edge with those impressions, so it was weird to hear you weren't getting it. :lol

Davey Cakes

Mudkips said:
Their fucking podcast is called "Nintendo Voice Chat" because of Matt's "I want voice chat" whining bullshit.
What's funny is that the Wii does technically have voice chat now, and it's supported in a game that IGN themselves pimped out and rated higher than anybody else. :lol

gabe90

Mudkips said:

Matt is a terrible, terrible journalist, and in the realm of video game journalism that's saying something.

Out of context ammo? Their fucking podcast is called "Nintendo Voice Chat" because of Matt's "I want voice chat" whining bullshit. It's fully in context, and the podcast is just concentrated crap from them, so they get concentrated hate.
Thing is, Zack and Wiki and ED were two of my favorite games.
I see your points 100%. They do have their biases, but where else can you read about Nintendo games and the 3rd party games for Wii? I LOVE giant bomb. Listen to their podcast every week. But they have too much to discuss to cover as much nintendo as I'd like. Same with 1UP.

IGN Wii offers me something I pretty much can't get anywhere else: Nintendo fans who discuss Nintendo and have strong insider perspectives and connections. Until another pub steps up and competes, I will defend Matt and Bozon wholeheartedly.

freddy

Banned
Nintendo hides the fact that MotionPlus is in the Sports Resort box, just says in the bottom left “Wii MotionPlus inside”

Oh boy..

Btw it's not that it's cool to hate on IGN, it's just that it's easy to do. I like Bozon, but Matt has been in the chair far too long and needs to move channels, hopefully to the middle of the English channel.

AniHawk

Andrex said:
It's just you kinda drove me over the edge with those impressions, so it was weird to hear you weren't getting it. :lol

The other big obstacle for me is that I absolutely wuss out in horror games. The only reason I stopped when the chase scene started was because the chase scene started.

GhaleonQ

gabe90 said:
IGN Wii offers me something I pretty much can't get anywhere else: Nintendo fans who discuss Nintendo and have strong insider perspectives and connections. Until another pub steps up and competes, I will defend Matt and Bozon wholeheartedly.

Siliconera has had broader and more in-depth coverage and provided much more interesting interviews and impressions of pretty much any worthwhile Wii or DS game you care to name (The Conduit would not be included among these).

That's much more worthwhile to "Nintendo fans" than contentless interviews and awful taste.

EDarkness

GhaleonQ said:
Siliconera has had broader and more in-depth coverage and provided much more interesting interviews and impressions of pretty much any worthwhile Wii or DS game you care to name (The Conduit would not be included among these).

That's much more worthwhile to "Nintendo fans" than contentless interviews and awful taste.

I always think of Siliconera as Kotaku. I get nothing of value from there. They don't cover the types of games I like to play and they generally have to cover everything. If you're looking for Nintendo specific news/discussion, you only have one choice. For that, I will continue to visit their site and read their news.

Sounds to me like IGN killed your mom or something. If you get annoyed by people pimping The Conduit and Zack and Wiki, then I should say I'm tried of people pimpin' Little Kings Story. People pimp the games they have interest in.

GhaleonQ

EDarkness said:
I always think of Siliconera as Kotaku. I get nothing of value from there. They don't cover the types of games I like to play

You don't like Japanese games at all?

upandaway

gabe90 said:
I kinda thought of Nintendo fans on GAF to be better at doing all of that.

EDarkness

upandaway said:

Heh, heh. I definitely don't come here for good Wii discussion. Can you even get good Wii discussion on this forum? I've been here for a while and have yet to really see it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AniHawk said:
The other big obstacle for me is that I absolutely wuss out in horror games. The only reason I stopped when the chase scene started was because the chase scene started.

:lol Because of your avy I thought you were into that kind of stuff.

upandaway said:

Well, Bozon is registered here (and the rest lurk.)

Kinda surprised he hasn't posted in this thread yet, actually.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
EDarkness said:
Heh, heh. I definitely don't come here for good Wii discussion. Can you even get good Wii discussion on this forum? I've been here for a while and have yet to really see it.

I'm starting to think I keep missing all the threads on this forum. I mean, I always thought there was decent enough discussion around GAF, in between the rambling bouts of stupidity. All I know is that GAF seems to be a far better news and information disseminator than anything else on the 'net.

(Yes, I do mean disseminator -- it aggregates, then serves to disseminate. Whee.)

Sipowicz

Banned
they dont seem to know very much about wii games

and they seem to be incredibly envious of the "mature games" on other platforms. it's like they're 12 years old

EDarkness

Sipowicz said:
and they seem to be incredibly envious of the "mature games" on other platforms.

Wait...aren't a lot of people in this category? Seems like this is the biggest reason Wii threads degenerate into crap.

Sipowicz

Banned
EDarkness said:
Wait...aren't a lot of people in this category? Seems like this is the biggest reason Wii threads degenerate into crap.

i'm guessing a lot of them dont even own a wii

i dont see why you'd buy a wii in the hope of playing violent, online focused shooters

EDarkness

Sipowicz said:
i dont see why you'd buy a wii in the hope of playing violent, online focused shooters

It's comments like this that cause Wii threads to turn into crap. Why wouldn't someone who owns a Wii NOT want to play those kinds of games and why should they expect NOT to get those kinds of games? The Wii is a console like any other console, but with gamers there's this mentality that it can't get "normal" games. It bothers me to no end. Which is why I can understand why the IGN guys would be bitter and a little disappointed. Just because it's the Wii it somehow doesn't qualify for the games that we've been playing all these years, even though the Xbox (around the same power level) got those games in spades.

Sadist

Sipowicz said:
Because these games are the only ones that count amirite?

No offense, but this is such a bullox argument. I didn't buy a Wii because I only wanted to play generic shooters, I bought a Wii for good games. These include Nintendo's first party games which contain mostly good quality. And the good third party titles out there. I'm clearly different from the majority, but the Wii makes me happy because one of my favourite genres is well presented on the platform: platform games. That's a reason for me to buy a Wii.

These generic comments really suck though.

Top Bottom