• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing | 10:00 AM JST

790,000 unique players over a 24-hour event in 1 game… I don't get why many people still assert that noone plays online on Nintendo hardware.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I believe that is just the Japanese online population and not the total global online users playing during that Splatfest. I assume that since they infer later that half the people that own Splatoon in Japan were playing that Splatfest.

AGITΩ;202096299 said:
No. This is the imagination booth. Where you pretend Nintendo had more to show.

Haha fuck, laughed at this. Reggie appears on stage....then slowly strips naked. He lays on his back while live squid are placed on his body.... Zelda Wii U is playable, but you must sword fight to the death in order to be first. Thus you are then told.....You just played Zelda U....in real life...

Haha fuck, laughed at this. Reggie appears on stage....then slowly strips naked. He lays on his back while live squid are placed on his body.... Zelda Wii U is playable, but you must sword fight to the death in order to be first. Thus you are then told.....You just played Zelda U....in real life...

This is exactly the kind of post I expect from someone named "StrapOnFetus".

Burai

shitonmychest57
Does it matter? OG Pokemon amiibo will sell regardless of what the heck they do

No, not regardless.

They'll do gangbusters with the first few waves where they cover off the popular ones but then it will solely be software support that gets people to buy them after that.

You can't do toys-to-life without giving the toys somewhere to compelling to live.

No, not regardless.

They'll do gangbusters with the first few waves where they cover off the popular ones but then it will solely be software support that gets people to buy them after that.

You can't do toys-to-life without giving the toys somewhere to compelling to live.

They'll do waves like "hey here's Arcanine! And also Oddish and Voltorb" and people will pick up Arcanine, plus the other two just for the heck of it. I was rabid about the Smash series and will probably get wrapped up in the "buy all 151 Pokemon" thing if they go that route.

RedFyn

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I believe that is just the Japanese online population and not the total global online users playing during that Splatfest. I assume that since they infer later that half the people that own Splatoon in Japan were playing that Splatfest.
Correct. This was a Japan only splatfest so everyone that participated was Japanese. This was also a sponsored splatfest so we have some solid numbers on the advertising potential in japan. I think more advertising would be a great way for them to continue financing additional free content in an "unobtrusive" and fun way. What's really impressive is that this beat out the pokemon red vs blue splatfest which is just crazy to me.

takriel

I mean I'm interested in those games. I want to know what N-Stars is too that Trev leaked. I'm guessing it will be revealed at E3

Can we still trust Trev's source, though?

If so, then that means that at one point in the not too distant past, the NX and Zelda were still scheduled for Holiday 2016. I wonder what made them change their mind...

If so, then that means that at one point in the not too distant past, the NX and Zelda were still scheduled for Holiday 2016. I wonder what made them change their mind...
I honestly believe Nintendo wanted to release the NX this holiday. Kimishima said it was coming out in March to make sure it had enough games ready. That could be the reason and/or maybe it could be a change in NX hardware.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Zelda was teased for 2016 last time Nintendo mentioned it. There is even a famous gif with that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly believe Nintendo wanted to release the NX this holiday. Kimishima said it was coming out in March to make sure it had enough games ready. That could be the reason and/or maybe it could be a change in NX hardware.

A hardware change at this stage seems very unlikely, unless it was something like the PS4 RAM change that was extremely minuscule (and they were probably hoping/planning for that in the first place).

So far my guess is a manufacturing delay, if they are going with an APU on 14nm that seems reasonably likely.

A hardware change at this stage seems very unlikely, unless it was something like the PS4 RAM change that was extremely minuscule (and they were probably hoping/planning for that in the first place).

So far my guess is a manufacturing delay, if they are going with an APU on 14nm that seems reasonably likely.
Yeah, that would make sense.

N-Stars has got to be the Amibo centered action game, no?
It sounds like it from the code name lol, but who knows.

Vena

They also didn't magically run into a hardware design problem a few months short of E3 having teased Zelda 2016 only just a few months ago. The hardware has been designed and prototyped for months.

If they did run into a design flaw, that is some catastrophic next-level incompetence in design from AMD or whomever is their chip design provider... like with the 3DS and Nvidia but that was WAAAAY before launch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They also didn't magically run into a hardware design problem a few months short of E3 having teased Zelda 2016 only just a few months ago. The hardware has been designed and prototyped for months.

If they did run into a design flaw, that is some catastrophic next-level incompetence in design from AMD or whomever is their chip design provider... like with the 3DS and Nvidia but that was WAAAAY before launch.

Yes, because discovering hardware issues when you start producing devkits that get close to the final hardware never happens. /s

Vena

Yes, because discovering hardware issues when you start producing devkits never happens. /s

Uh. Yes, it does happen but its usually not to a degree that forces multiple-months of delay, nor does it occur, rather obviously, after dev kits had already been made for some time. Their internal studios have had prototypes and/or full dev kits for months and months.

Did you not read the second paragraph?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Uh. Yes, it does happen but its usually not to a degree that forces multiple-months of delay, nor does it occur, rather obviously, after dev kits had already been made for some time. Their internal studios have had prototypes and/or full dev kits for months and months.

Did you not read the second paragraph?

I read the second paragraph. So as long as there is somebody else to blame it's fine?

Vena

I read the second paragraph. So as long as there is somebody else to blame it's fine?

What are you talking about? Nintendo isn't an microchip design company, AMD is, and in this day and age there are very few parts that are extremely customized.

Nor did I say anything was fine. Don't associate your own imagination with my statements.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

The leak also said that nx version wasnt planned surely for launch day but for launch window.
Nintendo itself promoted the game as 16 release on wiiu recently.

It is pretty obvious that plans changed.

i3ontDB.png

So are they going to recreate Hyrule with all this fucking space?

Metroid Federation Force grand theatre.

Still plenty of unannounced 3DS games huh? 3DS will definitely be around by the time NX launches. Wii U will be nothing but a whisper in the air next year.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Am I the only one that's happy that Nintendo is selling the Seattle Mariners?

It didn't seem like the biggest money-making venture for them and baseball fans hated Howard Lincoln nearly as much as I do (albeit for entirely different reasons), so if they can sell the team potentially at a profit now that there's no risk of them packing up and leaving Seattle, isn't that a win for everyone overall?

I'm happy it was profitable, sure. Besides, they're still keeping 10 percent. Yamauchi basically did the city of Seattle a favour back in 1992. The windfall from that sale can help go into the NX's first year. Win-win for everybody.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
3DS will outsell Wii U by a factor of 6. Handheld gaming is Nintendo, the console is just an afterthought.

This is not the case, thankfully. 2 of the last 3 consoles have sold far worse than the handheld at the time, but the NES-N64 had the GB (including GBC) and all held their own for the time (though less so the N64). The GB's significant numbers include the Pokemon bump in 1998, the GBC the same year, and a whopping 12 years without a successor, including the entire 1990's. Not a fair comparison to the 3 consoles it shared a decade with, and it sold far, far slower than the GBA or DS.

Then Wii sold 2/3 of the DS in what was essentially less time.

DrWong

790K players for the last Jp splatfest.
There also was a EU/US splatfest at the same time last week and we can assume combined Splatoon saw a +1M concurrent online players peak. I'd like to have the EU+US numbers as well.

Wasn't this next FY supposed to bring Nintendo-like profits?
Obviously, it's not possible. (but depending on the mobile game performance, who knows)

They balanced their cost and revenue in the last few years, they're actually back to Nintendo-like gross profit ratio, but without the revenue, you can't increase your income by much.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So this was the year. They're missing around half of the year if not more with the mobile games too.

Can't wait to read the Q&A session.

Akiller

Please ask serious questions investors. Please ask serious questions investors.
"Is NX Your next console?"
"Yes"
"Really?"
"Yes"
"NX?"
"Yes"

"I hope you have found My answer useful . Thank you and goodbye."

"Wait a moment, another questio-"

"Thank you and goodbye"

maxcriden

N-Stars has got to be the Amibo centered action game, no?

Yeah, that would make sense.

It sounds like it from the code name lol, but who knows.

i dont want N-Stars to be the amiibo game. iirc N-Stars will be on 3ds (if it's real).
i want such a game on a console

Just to clarify what we already "know" (it seems disingenuous not to use quotation marks here), similar codenames have been used for Mario Party in the past. The game was indeed on the leaked release schedule for 3DS as a big budget all ages games. Big budget to me doesn't automatically say Mario Party, but who's to say whether an amiibo version would be entirely different. I think it also may have been speculated that amiibonare involved because of part of the codename? Perhaps someone can clarify this. So based on what we know, it's some sort of amiibo Mario Party, but we just don't know what that would look like, and further I still wonder if an amiibo-centric 3DS game that supported a wide breadth of amiibo (so, a bit different than AC) would be cross-platform considering most 3DS owners presumably do not have NFC functionality available to them.

For those interested, the release list also mentioned Cadillac, which has previously been the codename for Style Savvy. That game has not released yet in NA so presumably it has been planned for release this year. I also expect we'll see the Picross 3D and BOXBOY! sequels this year, and unless they're waiting for the series to be complete before localizing it, Detective Pikachu as well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is business, things change.

If you prefer short-time-benefits instead of long-term-stability, then you're doing something wrong.

This was supposed to be the long time stability. This was the long time plan. It wasn't promised last year, it was promised long before that after some years of survival it will come the good years. Bad luck, another average year and another "maybe next time".

This was supposed to be the long time stability. This was the long time plan. It wasn't promised last year, it was promised long before that after some years of survival it will come the good years. Bad luck, another average year and another "maybe next time".
Welcome to real-life, where stuff happens, predictable or not.

maxcriden

Was anything at the QA translated?

BTW, if understand correctly, if NX does launch in March then with a huge launch they can still at least indicate a possible trajectory back to Nintendo-like profits in this FY.

Peru

Yes and where stuff happening has also consequences.

The consequence is a delay. It's not like the profits are tied to motivation or attitudes - it's tied to the launch of hardware, which (we assume) has been delayed 3-4 months, and so the shift in profits will occur a FY later.

AntMurda

Just to clarify whay we already "know" (it seems disingenuous not to use quotation marks here), similar codenames have been used for Mario Party in the past. The game was indeed on the leaked release schedule for 3DS as a big budget all ages games. Big budget to me doesn't automatically say Mario Party, but who's to say whether an amiibo version would be entirely different. I think it also may have been speculated that amiibonare involved because of part of the codename? Perhaps someone can clarify this. So based on what we know, it's some sort of amiibo Mario Party, but we just don't know what that would look like, and further I still wonder if an amiibo-centric 3DS game that supported a wide breadth of amiibo (so, a bit different than AC) would be cross-platform considering most 3DS owners presumably do not have NFC functionality available to them.

For those interested, the release list also mentioned Cadillac, which has previously been the codename for Style Savvy. That game has not released yet in NA so presumably it has been planned for release this year. I also expect we'll see the Picross 3D and BOXBOY! sequels this year, and unless they're waiting for the series to be complete before localizing it, Detective Pikachu as well.

It literally could be Nintendo Party for the 3DS. We already saw Nintendo change the theme to galvanize Animal Crossing Amiibos, so they could just as easily continue adapting the Mario Party formula to keep Amiibo relevant with the broader Nintendo Amiibo line.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, the shareholders should be perfectly happy. There's nothing wrong with unfulfilling financial promises on all fronts. Shit happens.

AntMurda

Was anything at the QA translated?

BTW, if understand correctly, if NX does launch in March then with a huge launch they can still at least indicate a possible trajectory back to Nintendo-like profits in this FY.

Are we getting a Q&A? Wouldn't something have been at least tweeted if there was one?

Eradicate

anigif_optimized-23362-1425510608-1.gif

Could it be to do with something on an OS level instead. If this thing was to release in November, we are only 6 months away from that. Iwata had previously made references to IOS/Android and other tidbits have suggested that this is the way they are going.

All 3 Current gen consoles released, particularly the X1 and Wii U with barebones or unfinished OS that needed months and months of patching to bring it up to ..not usable but a decent standard. All 3 could have done with an extra 3 or even 6 months in the oven.

If Nintendo are planning to go the Operating system route (same OS on Multiple Devices) it might they just need more time to iron out quirks and make sure everything from Tab A slots into Tab b so to speak. Everything kind of needs to be on point from day one if Nintendo are going down the route that we think they are.

Yeah, the shareholders should be perfectly happy. There's nothing wrong with unfulfilling financial promises on all fronts. Shit happens.
I'm also a shareholder. If the delay enhances the long-term-stability of the company it is preferable against higher income in this fiscal year.

FY3 2017 won't be bad either given the circumstances, but it can't be a good year obviously because Wii U is dead and 3DS won't contribute much.

The only thing that can enhance this fiscal year are the mobile games, but we'll have to wait until fall to see how it's going to turn out, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are good choices anyway.

The most important part is the concept, games and marketing of the NX, everything else is secondary, just like the launch month.

-MB-

Ōkami;202091715 said:
Splatoon has reach cultural status in Japan, the only reason it isn't a multi million seller it's because is a Wii U game.

What it needs is a 3DS title this year.

Top Bottom