• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Nintendo's Brain Age for PC? No, rip-off!

Thomper

Member
May 14, 2005
2,925
0
0
I was just looking through the latest folders, and when I went through the Bart Smit folder (biggest Dutch toy/gamestore-chain) something very familiar caught my eye.



It's Brain Age/Brain Training! But the not really! A PC version developed by some wacky budget-studio, copying the looks and name of the original. Bart Smit even helps misleading the customer by saying "Now also available on PC!" next to it, making it look like it's just a PC-version of the original. Right... the Dutch description beneath it says "Train your brain while having fun! Answer as many questions as you can in a short period of time!", which leads me to believe it's just a couple of hundred questions you have to answer.

To compare (thanks to Rocked):
/
+
=
 

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Jun 10, 2004
9,918
0
1,535
wal-mart here we come!!!! I wonder if it also includes 30,000 TETRIS GAMES! what a deal!
 

Thomper

Member
May 14, 2005
2,925
0
0
tehrafe said:
Ouch that sucks, I'm wondering if anybody would actually buy it...
The Brain Training games are reaaaaally popular over here. 'Sinterklaas' is approaching, Dutch version of Christmas where kids get presents, and as this game is right on the first page of a folder for toystores, I'm sure loads of parents will pick it up for themselves or their kids.
 

mintosen

Member
Oct 30, 2005
206
0
0
ehhhhh... Its DS that copied the PC from the start.

Remember Sierra's old games Castle of dr.brain etc? where you had to solve puzzles mathproblems etc?.. there was 3-4 dr.brain games.
 

tehrafe

Member
Mar 27, 2006
1,169
0
0
33
users.pandora.be
Thomper said:
The Brain Training games are reaaaaally popular over here. 'Sinterklaas' is approaching, Dutch version of Christmas where kids get presents, and as this game is right on the first page of a folder for toystores, I'm sure loads of parents will pick it up for themselves or their kids.

I'm from Belgium (and I know Sinterklaas =p) but are you from Holland or Belgium, because I can't really imagine Brain Training being all that popular over here :lol

And for the people who wonder what a "sinterklaas" looks like:



that's Sinterklaas + 2 zwarte pieten (black jacks or something) :D
 

Thomper

Member
May 14, 2005
2,925
0
0
mintosen said:
ehhhhh... Its DS that copied the PC from the start.

Remember Sierra's old games Castle of dr.brain etc? where you had to solve puzzles mathproblems etc?.. there was 3-4 dr.brain games.
That's true, but Nintendo brought the genre back and now it's popular again. And you can't deny that they really are just trying to rip-off Nintendo, the box is the same and the name has been chosen to match that of the original as much as possible.

And therafe, don't know how good the game is doing in Holland, but at multiple occassions Nintendo has said the game is doing great in Europe, and it is on the top of most gamecharts. I believe there were about 200.000 copies sold in the first month.

Coen: well, I coul do that but... what good would it be for them? The game's being advertised and sold, there's nothing a Dutch office of Nintendo would be able to do about it really.
 

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Jun 6, 2004
16,582
0
0
Australia
mintosen said:
ehhhhh... Its DS that copied the PC from the start.

Remember Sierra's old games Castle of dr.brain etc? where you had to solve puzzles mathproblems etc?.. there was 3-4 dr.brain games.
it's one thing to copy a genre and style of game. it's something else to copy another company's brand.
 

Rocked

Member
May 14, 2005
2,198
0
0
tehrafe said:
I'm from Belgium (and I know Sinterklaas =p) but are you from Holland or Belgium, because I can't really imagine Brain Training being all that popular over here :lol

And for the people who wonder what a "sinterklaas" looks like:



that's Sinterklaas + 2 zwarte pieten (black jacks or something) :D

 

Coen

Member
Jun 7, 2004
2,892
0
0
39
Antwerp, Belgium
Thomper said:
Coen: well, I coul do that but... what good would it be for them? The game's being advertised and sold, there's nothing a Dutch office of Nintendo would be able to do about it really.

It doesn't take long for them to force Bart Smit to stop selling it. I'm sure he'll appreciate it if you do.
 

Thomper

Member
May 14, 2005
2,925
0
0
Shard said:
Amirox is never allowed to view this thread ever.



Those games are more like jumping the band-wagon and it honestly seems like they've put attention in those games. At least more then in 'Train your brain', which they're probably trying to sell by making boxarts look alike.
 

MMaRsu

Member
Jun 4, 2006
37,893
0
0
Netherlands
tehrafe said:
I'm from Belgium (and I know Sinterklaas =p) but are you from Holland or Belgium, because I can't really imagine Brain Training being all that popular over here :lol

And for the people who wonder what a "sinterklaas" looks like:



that's Sinterklaas + 2 zwarte pieten (black jacks or something) :D

So Sinterklaas is a white supremacist with two black slaves?

:lol

j/k
 

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Dec 20, 2004
73,272
0
0
40
Tampa Bay, FL
msp.starshipmoonhawk.com
Thomper said:
Those games are more like jumping the band-wagon and it honestly seems like they've put attention in those games. At least more then in 'Train your brain', which they're probably trying to sell by making boxarts look alike.


On the other hand Majseco is also ripping off Pokemon (the whole 2 SKU thing) with this thing.
 
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Notorious_Roy said:
Can't wait to see this turning into an international conflict when some American politician sees this thread :')

in my dutch class there was this black girl from america. I said "Man, zwarte piet is awesome!"

didn't go down to well at all.
 

Hayami

Banned
Aug 4, 2004
828
0
0
www.millionPIXELSofPORN.com
je hersenen trainen is veel beter dan hersenen opleidend. My Dutch brothers will get that one.

But anyways, I picked up Train Your Brain on Thursday and played it for a few hours. Dare I say it--it's actually much better than Brain Training. Go figure, but I had a BLAST playing it. Finally had to put it down at midnight after starting when I got home from work. I missed my co-worker's farewell dinner to play this :lol
 

Luna104

Member
Apr 2, 2006
1,045
0
0
TBH and to be totally OT, the number of people celebrating Sinterklaas is on the decline.

Which is good, because I hate that guy anyway.
 

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mar 10, 2005
19,205
0
1,640
Hayami said:
no kidding. it was a dumb idea to begin with.

To making matters worse, here in Belgium (or at least some parts of Flanders) there are two contending saints: Sint Maarten and Sinterklaas. So some kids get their presents november 11th and others december 6th.
 

Luna104

Member
Apr 2, 2006
1,045
0
0
Darunia: We have Sint Maarten here too. It's just a bunch of kids walking around with paper lanterns, doing trick or treat and eating Dutch doughnuts.
 

Thomper

Member
May 14, 2005
2,925
0
0
Hayami said:
no kidding. it was a dumb idea to begin with.
Plus, Wegwijspiet has stopped. He was awesome. :(

Anyway, I have tried to contact Nintendo NL. However, shortly thereafter the hard-drive of my site's server broke and I'll have to wait for a bit until I can recieve any answers.
 

Un4

Member
Dec 9, 2004
519
0
0
tehrafe said:
I'm from Belgium (and I know Sinterklaas =p)


that's Sinterklaas + 2 zwarte pieten (black jacks or something) :D
Wow.. thats the last thing i expected to see in this thread. Sinterklaas! :lol
Another nice thing; the "zwarte pieten" (black dudes on the pic) break into people's houses and leave presents behind in the children's shoes! :D

I wonder what Nintendo Netherlands has to say about this btw.