• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's FY 2016 has officially begun - The Year of NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing VR idea

Excellent post! That sounds like it would be incredible, especially the aspect where VR wouldn't be the only purpose of the VR hardware (handheld).

I wish more people here would try thinking outside the box with how Nintendo could innovate and differentiate with the NX like you've done here.

Seeing as how you're clearly quite knowledgeable about this type of technology, would you have any ideas on the technical feasability of the eye tracking idea that I brought up earlier in this thread? To sum up the idea, you'd basically have a controller with an upwards facing camera designed to monitor the user's eye position and gaze direction, and using that along with positional sensors in the controller and on the TV (perhaps two clip on sensors placed on opposite corners) which detect the TV position and screen size, you could theoretically determine the exact location on the screen at which the user is lookng.

AmyS

This actually interests me much more than Nintendo offering VR (which I don't think will happen until 2020+)

Nintendo patents various means of eye tracking for enhancing gameplay

nintendo_eyetrackingycj3o.png

It is also much, much more likely to be implemented as a part of NX (and other things like the SCD) than VR.

Rösti;201448944 said:
I still haven't heard about venue for Nintendo's FY 2015 Financial Results Briefing nor the news conference tentatively scheduled for April 27. I'm positive this information is available, though likely only to invited analysts. The news conferences are usually held at Osaka Stock Exchange however.

The venue of Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing was posted by the now banned NDP_Mulcair, though that venue was later changed: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192748181&postcount=404

Do we have someone here in investment/banking that could check if there is any information available on this matter? It would be great to know time of the briefing anyhow, as that was a bit screwed up last time. We will likely continue to not receive live tweets from the briefing, but it would be still be great to have more info.
Changed to what?

I was looking at past years, and Nintendo announced their E3 2014 plans in April 29.
In 2015 they announced them in May 13.

We are almost there people.

that moment when this week is going to tough as hell for me and it could also mean the announcement of something related to nx. fuuug
see you on the next side gaf

ika

But that would be on the 28th going by history no?
Yes I suppose. I just want some movement on the web, a signal of Nintendo doing something lol. I imagine the webmaster receiving an email from Kimi-san: "update the IR website, the time has come..."
maxresdefault.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Changed to what?
I didn't manage to figure that out, but it was believed to be in Osaka somewhere.

The venue of Nintendo's FY 2015 Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing I still have not been able to gather some information about. It's not that important, but would give us at least some more information.

You know the free form display patent?

What if each button has a built in display that can be changed on the fly to maybe show context-sensitive actions or to facilitate changing control schemes?
That's not really functional. But i do agree Nintendo has something big with the Free Form Screen Controller/Handheld patent. i' ve already explained it in the patent thread but here's the short version of how i think they could use it:
  • Multi touch screen covering the entire face of the controller.
  • Two low profile clickable circle pads/thumbsticks passing through the screen. They act as the "home" position or point of reference to use the virtual buttons on the touch screen.
  • The entire touch screen can be depressed down acting like a button.
  • A New 3DS like confiuration of bumpers. 2 of them bumper wheels or buttons sensitive to directional inputs and 2 normal bumber buttons.
  • Optional: physcial button overlays attachable to the frame of the system.
  • Optional: Grips or attachments like in the Wii Remote days with extra triggers and buttons.
Advantages:
  • More screen area in less space.
  • Simplified PCB and more compact design.
  • Stream lined interface and more intuitive design.
  • Symmetrical design.
  • Dynamic HUD and virtual buttons with actual physical feedback due to the touchscreen resting over a button.
  • Better realization of the Wii U concept.
  • Multiple controllers with screen per system.
This could be complemented with the now expected stuff:

A camera that can be rotated inwards or outwards depending on the application.

Motion sensors. Gyroscope, accelerometers and an improved magnetometer to mitigate drifting.

spekkeh

Banned
He probably knows there's an investor meeting coming up and Nintendo has to explain why they're aiming for 10M consoles sold before the next FY.

TheJoRu

Tomorrow marks five years since the reveal of "Wii's successor system". I wouldn't be surprised if we got a random PR-document announcing it already on Monday or Tuesday.

spekkeh

Banned
Could be named the Nintendo X
If you pretend VirtualBoy and Wii U didn't exist, like Nintendo would certainly want to, this is possible.

I. NES
II. Gameboy
III. SNES
IV. Nintendo 64
V. GBA
VI. GameCube
VII. Nintendo DS
VIII. Wii
IX. Nintendo 3DS
X. Nintendo X

Otherwise though, it would be a weird numbering

Maybe if you collapse the Gameboys and Nintendo DSes and add Wii U and VirtualBoy.
(or also collapse the Wiis and add Game and Watch)
(but then you'd also have to throw NES and SNES together and add I dunno, Nintendo Love Tester or something)

jorgejjvr

May is almost here and still no official NX news.

You guys think we will get something on May, or will Nintendo just wait the month out until June in E3.

However the case, we're almost there guys..

I think the one, two punch of NX reveal in May and games and multiple news at E3 can do wonders

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If you pretend VirtualBoy and Wii U didn't exist, like Nintendo would certainly want to, this is possible.

I. NES
II. Gameboy
III. SNES
IV. Nintendo 64
V. GBA
VI. GameCube
VII. Nintendo DS
VIII. Wii
IX. Nintendo 3DS
X. Nintendo X

Maybe if you collapse the Gameboys and Nintendo DSes and add Wii U and VirtualBoy.
(but then you'd also have to throw NES and SNES together and add I dunno, Nintendo Love Tester or something)

They're not calling it NX because it's the 10th console they're working on...

People also forget Nintendo's 1st generation consoles like the Color TV-Game 15, Game & Watch handhelds, and the Pokemon Mini.

May is almost here and still no official NX news.

You guys think we will get something on May, or will Nintendo just wait the month out until June in E3.

However the case, we're almost there guys..

I think the one, two punch of NX reveal in May and games and multiple news at E3 can do wonders

Whatever happens at least someone is going to ask questions about it in the q&a next week. So.. you're going to get something, even if it's almost nothing.

maxcriden

I believe the fiscal results on the 27th aren't released until after the market closes for the day in Japan (after 4 PM), so it will be very early AM on the 27th for most folks in the Western Hemisphere.

Ah, true. But I was thinking more of the press conference, which is...usually before the fiscal results? No? I need a timeline if these three events, pretty please. ☺

(Cross-posting from ER thread)

Edit: never mind, answer is in the OP:

Events

April 27/28: FY 15 Fiscal Year Earnings Release and Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing respectively

Mr. Kimishima had in the Q&A session of the Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ending March 2016 the following to say about this briefing:

As for new businesses, we will present further information when we go into details about our forecasts for the next fiscal year. We do not plan to speak about NX today. We continue development and planning efforts for NX in preparation for launch, so it will require additional investment.
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/lib...0203qa/03.html

On April 27 there is likely to be a news conference also, for press. There usually is one in conjunction with earnings releases.

TheJoRu

There's a Q&A next week?

Is this only internally at Nintendo, or what?

Shareholders I'm assuming

There is a Fiscal Year Earnings Release on April 27th. There is undoubtedly going to be a briefing the following day, April 28th, where NX is expected to be talked about. There tends to be a Q&A during the briefing after the main presentation.

But the Q&A isn't really the part you should be looking forward to. In terms of NX, if they don't talk about it during the presentation they're not talking about it in the Q&A. But they will have to talk about it in some fashion, because it's without question part of their plan for FY 2016.

The cynic within me says there won't be anything substantial next week, but mostly I do actually believe there will be something concrete. Not a lot in terms of details, but I expect a name and a general idea about what it is and the philosophy that drives it. I also expect them to tease something special about its concept, that they'll "reveal at E3".

maxcriden

There is a Fiscal Year Earnings Release on April 27th. There is undoubtedly going to be a briefing the following day, April 28th, where NX is expected to be talked about. There tends to be a Q&A during the briefing after the main presentation.

But the Q&A isn't really the part you should be looking forward to. In terms of NX, if they don't talk about it during the presentation they're not talking about it in the Q&A. But they will have to talk about it in some fashion, because it's without question part of their plan for FY 2016.

The cynic within me says there won't be anything substantial next week, but mostly I do actually believe there will be something concrete. Not a lot in terms of details, but I expect a name and a general idea about what it is and the philosophy that drives it. I also expect them to tease something special about its concept, that they'll "reveal at E3".

We might get something during the expected press conference as well. That'll likely be late afternoon Wednesday the 27th in JP, around the time of the fiscal results release, so presumably middle of the night Tuesday in America (technically Wednesday). Then Wednesday night in America it will be Thursday AM in Japan and the briefing will occur.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
We might get something during the expected press conference as well. That'll likely be late afternoon Wednesday the 27th in JP, around the time of the fiscal results release, so presumably middle of the night Tuesday in America (technically Wednesday). Then Wednesday night in America it will be Thursday AM in Japan and the briefing will occur.
Correct. I may have previously written the news conference is usually 10.00 AM JST. This appears incorrect, as the news conference in conjunction with Nintendo's FY 2015 Third Quarter Earnings Release on February 2, 2016, was in the afternoon. As evidenced by this photo:

conferencel2op0.png

Sorry about the watermark.

Tatsumi Kimishima, president of Nintendo Co., right, listens to a question during a news conference at the Osaka Stock Exchange in Osaka, Japan, on Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2016. Nintendo Co. reported a 36 percent fall in third-quarter profit after a lack of hit game titles hurt holiday sales of its Wii U and 3DS hardware and the absence of currency windfalls that boosted the year earlier. Photographer: Buddhika Weerasinghe/Bloomberg via Getty Images *** Local caption *** Tatsumi Kimishima
Source: http://www.gettyimages.se/detail/ny...endo-co-right-listens-to-nyhetsfoto/507973796

The news conference ought to be held after the market closes (03:15 PM JST I believe) anyway.

spekkeh

Banned
They're not calling it NX because it's the 10th console they're working on...

People also forget Nintendo's 1st generation consoles like the Color TV-Game 15, Game & Watch handhelds, and the Pokemon Mini.
Oh, oh!

1. Love Tester
2. Color TV
3. NES
4. SNES
5. N64
6. GameCube
7. Wii
8. Wii Mini
9. Wii U
10. Nintendo X

Guys guys they are going to call the new console Nintendo X.

Nintendo X Yoshimiti and Nintendo X El Capitan Todd.

Neoxon

I. NES
II. Gameboy
III. SNES
IV. Nintendo 64
V. GBA
VI. GameCube
VII. Nintendo DS
VIII. Wii
IX. Nintendo 3DS
X. Nintendo X

They probably won't ignore that the Wii U existed, especially since it spawned the likes of Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, & Amiibo.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So are we expecting a direct around about the financial briefing to announce NX to us before the shareholders?
I personally expect no NX-related Nintendo Direct broadcast next week, though I suppose it's possible. More likely I would assume a press release in form of a PDF file is.

GamerJM

Banned
I hope we at least get an announcement of an announcement this week. If we don't then I think they're just going to withhold information until E3 this year, which I think is a bad move since they could very well get overshadowed at E3 as others have stated.

Zoon

I hope we at least get an announcement of an announcement this week. If we don't then I think they're just going to withhold information until E3 this year, which I think is a bad move since they could very well get overshadowed at E3 as others have stated.

Overshadowed? No. I would say not enough time to explain wtf they are doing. Unless of course the NX is just a PS4 that plays Nintendo games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom