• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's two week digital download exclusivity for Wind Waker is an insulting bribe

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
the obvious digital solution here is to play your copy of Windwaker on Dolphin, and upscale the hell out of it. and it looks less like someone smeared vasalene all over your TV as well.

i'm surprised anyone has bought the console at this point to be honest. And I regret all my 3DS eShop purchases, now knowing how little Nintendo will respect those purchases in 10 years.
You came to post because you hate WW HD, didn't you?

keep

Healthy digital sales + consumers swayed by bribes such as the Zelda WW HD move = Nintendo can afford to carry on anally raping their customers with ridiculous prices and prehistoric account systems

Poor digital sales + onslaught of criticism regarding shitty eShop policies = Nintendo is forced to listen to the customer, understand why their proposition is failing and revise their eShop strategy

As far as I can tell, you don't lose them on Wii U either.

Unless you break/sell/otherwise lose your Wii U before getting another one, in one of the many contexts that Nintendo doesn't consider legitimate, or you're a customer who doesn't isn't part of the right online communities to learn what magic words will unlock this service from Nintendo customer service.

To be fair, I'm insulted by Nintendo's DD policies by themselves. They're awful.

But Wind Waker being available two weeks early for any number of reasons is not really that offensive to me. They're two very different situations.

I would generally agree with that, although from a business perspective I think doing digital releases first is dopey.

How is data on an owned disc more aligned with "ownership" than data stored on an owned HDD?

Having a console game on disc (or a PC game in a DRM-free executable form) means a great deal in terms of de facto ownership, regardless of what it it means in terms of de jure ownership.

fernoca

While I can understand the complaints about the "account problems"...don't know why the early release of Wind Waker is such an insulting bribe. Is like when some admitted liking some Xbox games, but... "damn you M$$$$".

If you choose not to support something, then said things like early releases shouldn't affect you. At least in this case there is a retail-alternative; just a few weeks later.

I'm more insulted that new wii u owners get a zelda themed gamepad and the system for $300 with a better game then nintendoland, plus the digital deluxe program is better then regular deluxe versions

I will just take the L.

its smart that Nintendo released it 2 weeks early, if they do this for Smash Brothers :O it will break records

Gaogaogao

tumblr_m33v3aUpCE1qlzduwo1_500.gif

chill. I don't know how people take this shit personally. its not a bribe, its a business proposition.

someday, like a year from now when nintendo figures out the internet, buying the wind waker HD digitally wont sound like such a bad idea.

Terrell

I've exposed my reasoning quite a few times... "Nintendo isn't adressing the issues I have with the system, now trying stunts to get people to hop onto the eShop without fixing my issues with the eShop. If it works, they might delay fixing the eShop even more, and thus I'll still be one unhappy consumer in the future". As I've said, I don't want retail copies, I want digital ones. But I don't want digital ones that come with the very big "screw you" that Nintendo is currently giving their consumers. And really, me saying it's bad isn't forcing my opinion on anyone. As you've quite fantastically demonstrated, you don't agree with me and that's all fine.
So you're arguing based on the fallacy that there is only one logical conclusion... yeah, I definitely disagree with a far-reaching assumption with no evidence to support it. Relax, Chicken Little, the sky ain't falling.

I'm perfectly fine waiting the two weeks for the physical release. Nintendo could offer the digital version for $40 and I'd still buy physical.

Blue-kun

So you're arguing based on the fallacy that there is only one logical conclusion... yeah, I definitely disagree with a far-reaching assumption with no evidence to support it. Relax, Chicken Little, the sky ain't falling.

The "evidence" is the fact that it's 2013 and we still don't have a functional unified account system in Nintendo platforms (that should've been standard when 3DS/Wii U launched) and that, despite the fact that it is quite often seen/reported as one of the biggest issues with the Wii U/eShop, no one at Nintendo said anything so far about making any changes to it in any concrete manner. And then something like this happens, which, of course, further annoys a part of their consumer base. And yeah, all of this leads leads to my assumption -- that's a good word, for it is what it is.

I feel pretty justified about complaining, but, hey, different strokes for different folks. I'm not against the whole two weeks digital version being avaible first, but I won't say it doesn't annoy me as someone who'd like to grab digital stuff but feels gimped because of something Nintendo should look into addressing faster than they've been doing.

Marlowe89

Having a console game on disc (or a PC game in a DRM-free executable form) means a great deal in terms of de facto ownership, regardless of what it it means in terms of de jure ownership.

A physical copy is data on a tangible medium (the disc). A digital copy is also data on a tangible medium (the hard disk). Both mediums are physical, and the copies stored on these mediums are no longer stored online or elsewhere. Both mediums are owned by the consumer.

I wasn't defining ownership by lawful standards at all. I'm using it in the most literal way possible.

sfried

It's not insulting for me. I could always get the digital download copy early, but I want my Ganondorf figure, so I'll wait if I have to.

Besides, Valve has done this before with the release of Half-Life 2 (steam's original debut).

Calamari41

41 > 38
To think, here I've been playing one of the best games of the last decade and a half while you've been bitching and moaning on an Internet forum instead. I have seven full retail titles on my hard drive, and nobody has busted my door down and put a bullet in my dog's head.

Yet.

Quasar

I like this idea. I wish all publishers did it with all titles. If they aren't going to offer discounts for digital this is at least something to encourage digital.

Unless you break/sell/otherwise lose your Wii U before getting another one, in one of the many contexts that Nintendo doesn't consider legitimate, or you're a customer who doesn't isn't part of the right online communities to learn what magic words will unlock this service from Nintendo customer service.

Yea, if you take my comment out of context and add other arbitrary rules, Nintendo doesn't recover shit.

Teletraan1

Banned
To think, here I've been playing one of the best games of the last decade and a half while you've been bitching and moaning on an Internet forum instead. I have seven full retail titles on my hard drive, and nobody has busted my door down and put a bullet in my dog's head.

Yet.

Yet here you are after experiencing such gaming bliss bitching about bitching on an internet forum making straw man arguments.

What? Nintendo is actually leading the competition in actually giving you more of an incentive to buy digital and you're crying about it? You want to play the game so bad, download it. You want to wait? Wait. What's the big fucking deal?

Buddy of mine got it last night since he really wanted to play and didn't care about the special edition physical version. I want the figure so I'm going to wait. No one should be getting upset over this. Jesus.

Gaogaogao

Yet.

when your wii u breaks or gets stolen and you call nintendo for help, think of this thread.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Can see this happening a lot more this gen.

I think Microsoft in particular will use it. Using incomplete games to get you to download the rest, releasing games early online. Voluntary DRM.

Calamari41

41 > 38
when your wii u breaks or gets stolen and you call nintendo for help, think of this thread.

If it breaks I'll send it to Nintendo. If it gets stolen I'll send them the police report.

Think of me when your shelf of physical disks gets stolen. What will you do then?

Oh shit, is this thread discussing Nintendo's account system? I thought it was discussing the early release plan for WWHD?

Fucking seriously. Though you should know by now that every thread having anything to do with Nintendo is a thread about their account system.

mclem

Regarding the specific instance of the console being stolen (I appreciate it doesn't apply for situations of breaking down): Can't you claim digital titles on insurance? When my Wii was stolen I put a couple of points cards equivalent to the value of the products on the system in the insurance claim and they came through correctly.

Gaogaogao

Oh shit, is this thread discussing Nintendo's account system? I thought it was discussing the early release plan for WWHD?

read the rest of the op, the title is misguided. the reason he doesn't want to buy digital is because of the lack of an account system. its a valid point. whats not valid is interpreting 2 week exclusivity as an insult or bribe.

If it breaks I'll send it to Nintendo. If it gets stolen I'll send them the police report.

Think of me when your shelf of physical disks gets stolen. What will you do then?

thankfully, I can sell discs when im done with them, so I don't amass a shelf full of them.

Blue-kun

Fucking seriously. Though you should know by now that every thread having anything to do with Nintendo is a thread about their account system.

Or maybe reading the actual OP instead of just the thread title would tip both of you guys that the early release plan is only an issue to the OP (and most people who posted here annoyed by it) BECAUSE of Nintendo's lack of a real account system/decent digital owner ship policies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wind Waker was an amazing game in 2003. Still one of my favorite games and back then I never felt the urge to jump online to laugh at people...I was busy playing Wind Waker.

Gotta take breaks every now and then. Back in the day I could play games for more than 24 hours straight, but I just don't have the stamina anymore.

Is this a real argument against anything? "If you like the game so much why aren't you playing it nonstop instead of doing literally anything else?" What point are you trying to prove?

Gotta take breaks every now and then. Back in the day I could play games for more than 24 hours straight, but I just don't have the stamina anymore.

Is this a real argument against anything? "If you like the game so much why aren't you playing it nonstop instead of doing literally anything else?" What point are you trying to prove?

Not a real argument, just a jab. Sorry.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Or maybe reading the actual OP instead of just the thread title would tip both of you guys that the early release plan is only an issue to the OP (and most people who posted here annoyed by it) BECAUSE of Nintendo's lack of a real account system/decent digital owner ship policies.

And as someone who refuses to participate in Nintendo's digital plans, and knowing as anybody would that the game is only releasing early on the eShop because the discs aren't at the stores yet, how does it affect the OP in any way? Even if Nintendo never knew the Internet existed, Wind Waker would be in stores in two weeks.

Let the rest of us play the game.

We get that. What we don't get is why.

jrDev

Going to be interesting to see how many people pick up Ace Attorney 5 on the eShop. Especially given the eShop credit deal for FE/SMT4.
*Raises hand*

Although I'm still contemplating that MH3 50% off deal with my credit! What should I do? D:

On Topic: This seems to be a veiled eShop whining thread...I'll grab my coat and go...

Calamari41

41 > 38
no one said you couldn't! you are free to go now!

Are you serious? This whole thread is a discussion on how Nintendo is committing some horrible sin by releasing it on the eShop early. I am rejecting that claim.

If you want everybody who disagrees with you to leave the thread so that you can screech at each other in agreement, then by all means just say so.

Blue-kun

And as someone who refuses to participate in Nintendo's digital plans, and knowing as anybody would that the game is only releasing early on the eShop because the discs aren't at the stores yet, how does it affect the OP in any way? Even if Nintendo never knew the Internet existed, Wind Waker would be in stores in two weeks.

Let the rest of us play the game.

Really? I didn't know that. Did they outright say it? Or are you just assuming this to be the case? Because to me this screams "let's try to push the eShop down everyone's throat while releasing one of our most popular games first there and have retail only come two weeks later". Actually addressing the issues that make the eShop so unpopular in most people's eyes can wait, though!

And hey, I'm letting you play the game. I've no issues whatsoever with Nintendo releasing stuff digitally first, as long as their digital stuff is up to par with the competition. It isn't, so I'll leave a complaint.

Can you find it in you to let the rest of us who aren't satisfied with Nintendo's policies to leave a complaint and start an argument about the subject in one of the most famous/active gaming forums' online? I sure hope so.

We get that. What we don't get is why.

Because it annoys him as a consumer and as such he feels compelled to complain about it. Because having a functional account system has become standard for the industry for like, half a decade now. Because in 2013 Nintendo still doesn't provide their consumers with it. And yet, they're now making a move where you've got a good reason to push you towards digital, except they haven't fixed all the stuff that's wrong, so some people do not want to jump into what would be otherwise a fantastic thing. And so, they complain. Really, I'm pretty baffled that you wouldn't understand how this could be something to make some people unhappy.

Gaogaogao

Are you serious? This whole thread is a discussion on how Nintendo is committing some horrible sin by releasing it on the eShop early. I am rejecting that claim.

If you want everybody who disagrees with you to leave the thread so that you can screech at each other in agreement, then by all means just say so.

no just you, because you think people are holding you back. also im not that serious.

the thread is really about the account system, because the thread would not exist if there was one.

Calamari41

41 > 38
the thread is really about the account system, because the thread would not exist if there was one.

Maybe the OP should have a title that doesn't bring up Wind Waker being released early being a bad thing if he didn't want any discussion about whether Wind Waker should have been released early or not.

Calamari41

41 > 38
i don't hate WWHD and i'll probably end up owning it one day along with a WiiU. I just agree with OP that it's poor bait for a fledgling online service, and i'd go one further to say it's poor bait for a fledgling console

Honestly, we'll find out in the next NPD report if it was good bait or not.

Gaogaogao

Maybe the OP should have a title that doesn't bring up Wind Waker being released early being a bad thing if he didn't want any discussion about whether Wind Waker should have been released early or not.

see kids, thats why theres more to a thread than just its title.

you are free to talk in circles while I leave, bye.

VARIA

I agree with you 100% OP.

At first I was tempted, but the more I thought about it, I do not want to support such a shitty online/account system.

Top Bottom