• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh New Screenshots Master Trainers

soultron

Banned
I still wish you could create your own character or play these characters. These characters look even more badass than the main character, making him look worse now, even!

The main character looks like a low-rent Geralt. So bland.

I still wish you could create your own character or play these characters. These characters look even more badass than the main character, making him look worse now, even!

Well, you can use their skin if you want. William will still show up in cutscenes, but otherwise you'll be playing as whichever skin you select.

Kudo

They didn't go super traditional but still looking good from all angles.

And what's better is that he actually had shorts in Alpha/Beta, but went for fundoshi in retail, more bare skin.

Movie name please? Looks sick :p
Btw just noticed that Nioh stamp on your avatar nice lol

They're from Akira Kurosawas films Throne of Blood, Yojimbo and Sanjuro. Nioh is also based on his unfinished script so makes it doubly interesting to watch those classics now as I haven't seen them before.
Haha, I had to edit that logo in there, nice that somebody noticed it!

And what's better is that he actually had shorts in Alpha/Beta, but went for fundoshi in retail, more bare skin.

I think there's a reason for that- in the previous demo you start off as you landed in Japan so it makes sense to have your western clothes.

The LTC was after you entered the service of Tokugawa and started aiding Hanzo so I imagine by then they would have given you a fundoshi.

Kudo

I think there's a reason for that- in the previous demo you start off as you landed in Japan so it makes sense to have your western clothes.

The LTC was after you entered the service of Tokugawa and started aiding Hanzo so I imagine by then they would have given you a fundoshi.

Now that would be really sweet if there's actually story reasons behind our protagonists underwear.
I was thinking that too maybe he gets it once he's made a samurai, but guess we'll see.

Adaren

Is it just me or has this game almost released every info about it?

Considering people were only recently speculating as to whether one of the major characters would speak English or Japanese (and would still be speculating had his voice actor not been found), I don't think so.

It's pretty common for these sorts of small-cast Japanese action games to do character profiles before release. But, beyond the cast of characters, I don't think we know much about how the plot is going to unfold, what the levels will be like (outside of the demo levels), or what sorts of gameplay options are going to be able to be unlocked.

How would you know how great a percentage of it they have released vs what they haven't released?
Just hyperbole. Not that it isn't good, it means to me that Koei Tecmo are quite confident with their product.

It's quite fascinating how much of a contrast it is with what people think its inspiration is, the Soulsborne series, wherein gameplay mechanics and much of the game itself is shrouded in mystery before they release.

SheHateMe

Some higher quality screens of Yasuke

16179262_726512800850amsq0.jpg

16251732_726513154183szs13.jpg

16300340_726513184183cxsv5.jpg

16252140_726513210850cpstu.jpg

No bullshit, this literally pushed me from "Eh, I'll wait" to Day One.

*redeems ticket for Hype Train* Choo Choo, bitches.

Huh. I am quite fascinated with how well received Yasuke is. Hoping that he becomes an even greater hit and KT looks into getting him some dlc, if the game ends up being as excellent as i hope it will be.

And yeah, his armor looks god damn terrific.

It was still the awful shorts in the second Demo though too which had missions further into the story. It might just be that they want to maximize the fanservice potential.

Though it would be hilarious if Willam changing his underwear is a plot point.

Riposte

Kelley looks to be something of a main villain and Yasuke on his side. Guessing this points us towards a demonic Nobunaga revival.

It was still the awful shorts in the second Demo though too which had missions further into the story. It might just be that they want to maximize the fanservice potential.

Though it would be hilarious if Willam changing his underwear is a plot point.

But it's a demo so I don't think they felt like they needed to implement two underwears back then

Is it just me or has this game almost released every info about it?

They are estimating the game to be 70 hours long. Even if that is grossly inflated it is still a massive game so we haven't seen much.

Thankfully the combat isn't garbage like Geralt's moves.

But it's a demo so I don't think they felt like they needed to implement two underwears back then
I guess we'll just have to see what's up in the final version. I do prefer to think it was it was in response to fan feedback.

Either way it's a welcome and refreshing change.

Well, I know which skin I'll be using.
I had to take a high shot in the back as William suffers a bit from the flat butt syndrome that plagues most male (non-MGS) action game heroes, but overall it's a great model.

Hopefully he has some nice gear that takes advantage of the model, not just heavy armor. It might be a bit difficult to play through the entire game au naturel.

BPoole

This is the only PS4 exclusive that has me stroking my chin in thought of buying one. It's like a mash up of The Witcher, Dark Souls, and Ninja Gaiden; 3 of my favorite series

Ratrat

I guess we'll just have to see what's up in the final version. I do prefer to think it was it was in response to fan feedback.

Either way it's a welcome and refreshing change.
Eh, you see it in plenty of games set in that period. Its an actual ttaditional article of clothing before fetishware.

Hastati

Yasuke looks AWESOME.

I really like the rather reserved element to character designs in this game. Obviously its stylized, but not completely over the top. The characters seem really interesting regarding their actual history, I hope the script ends up being decent.

Also really curious to see how much story there actually is considering the surprising number of characters.

Eh, you see it in plenty of games set in that period. Its an actual ttaditional article of clothing before fetishware.
I realize that.

The fact that it was only changed in the final demo leads me to believe personally it was based on fan feedback, as opposed to an initial design decision. But if it was due to progression of the story, and William emercing himself in the culture, that's great too. Either way, I'm happy the change was made.

Ratrat

I realize that.

The fact that it was only changed in the final demo leads me to believe personally it was based on fan feedback, as opposed to an initial design decision. But if it was due to progression of the story, and William emercing himself in the culture, that's great too. Either way, I'm happy the change was made.
Again, while he looks nice I wouldn't bet on it. Its standard gear that typically doesnt have that conotation. I think accuracy and tradition would be remembered before gay fanservice.

Again, while he looks nice I wouldn't bet on it. Its standard gear that typically doesnt have that conotation. I think accuracy and tradition would be remembered before gay fanservice.
Considering it's Team NINJA, it's not like fanservice is far from their minds, even if it is for a male character this time. (They've been making headway with the men of DoA lately too.)

It's a great change and I'm going to enjoy it, regardless of circumstance. Not everything needs to be so clinical.

Kudo

Considering it's Team NINJA, it's not like fanservice is far from their minds, even if it is for a male character this time. (They've been making headway with the men of DoA lately too.)

It's a great change and I'm going to enjoy it, regardless of circumstance. Not everything needs to be so clinical.

Agreed, just the fact that it was changed to more historically accurate and eye-pleasing alternative pleases me.

Look forward to that Axe duel with Axe. Axe is my style in the game combined with Duel Katanas. I really like the enemy designs of the game.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I played a shit ton of NG/NGB back in the day but, unlike a lot of people here, I'm not seeing much of it in Ni-Oh. I feel stupid. Can someone point out the points for comparison?

Hystzen

Wonder they doing the Tenkai is Mitsuhide story would make sense due to the games intro and it showing a major boss

I played a shit ton of NG/NGB back in the day but, unlike a lot of people here, I'm not seeing much of it in Ni-Oh. I feel stupid. Can someone point out the points for comparison?

there isn't much of it.Some animations do appear recycled andenemies can be just as aggressive as in a NG game, plus it can be played in a fast as balls manner, but thats about it. It is probably no coincidence that every weapon shown so far has been present in NG before.

Who knows tho, there might be a level filled with ninjas throwing explosive shurikens.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
there isn't much of it.Some animations do appear recycled andenemies can be just as aggressive as in a NG game, plus it can be played in a fast as balls manner, but thats about it. It is probably no coincidence that every weapon shown so far has been present in NG before.

Which animations are recycled?

I dunno, I didn't see those other elements and specifically think of Ninja Gaiden. Been years since I've played it, mind.

Who knows tho, there might be a level filled with ninjas throwing explosive shurikens.

Oh god... imagine if they copied Alma over.

Shengar

So is William's Irish accent ever going to be explained?

If he is portrayed as an Englishman with an Irish accent I will fucking blow an aneurysm and make a western game featuring a samurai with a Chinese accent.

They changed his nationality to Irish because they have some kind of guardian spirits in their mythology, so it's probably tied to story as well.

Anyway, Yasuke looks really great. I honestly will be surprised if he is not in the game because this is just the perfect chance.

Baalzebup

They changed his nationality to Irish because they have some kind of guardian spirits in their mythology, so it's probably tied to story as well.
I'm pretty sure they have already covered the basic idea that Kelley stole the Guardian Spirit bonded to Williams family and William is in pursuit due to this. It is likely the red headed fairy show in at least one of the trailers, and being held here by Kelley:

Oh... oh my... They can totally adapt Nioh to different mythologies and cultural fighting styles. My desires for a sequel have just been broadened.

Top Bottom