• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nose Master

Boss question, pretty late game:
I'm assuming Hanzo only shoots the giant skeleton twice? And that you have to hit his head when he crumples? I couldn't find a way up to his dome both times and tried to whittle him away biting at his ankles :mad:

Zafir

Boss question, pretty late game:
I'm assuming Hanzo only shoots the giant skeleton twice? And that you have to hit his head when he crumples? I couldn't find a way up to his dome both times and tried to whittle him away biting at his ankles :mad:

He'll knock the skeleton down if you destroy any of it's limbs. Legs or arms. Hands are trickier because you have to wait for him to slam them down, and it can be a bit of a pain sometimes to get him to do that. After he's knocked down you go for the head, yeah. It's a quick run up the ramp at the side.

Nose Master

He'll knock the skeleton down if you destroy any of it's limbs. Legs or arms. Hands are trickier because you have to wait for him to slam them down, and it can be a bit of a pain sometimes to get him to do that. After he's knocked down you go for the head, yeah. It's a quick run up the ramp at the side.

What exactly does the buff do from the converted yokai circles? I have them on and kinda rebuff occasionally but no clue what it's doing. Kind of wish the iconography for buffs was better.

Wagram

Beat W
hite
T
iger
on first try. I barely did though. Very aggressive. Game seems like the main mission levels are sky rocketing now.

Zafir

What exactly does the buff do from the converted yokai circles? I have them on and kinda rebuff occasionally but no clue what it's doing. Kind of wish the iconography for buffs was better.

One restores your living weapon I know that much. I think one of the buff icons looked like it was the Stamina buff?

Honestly I can't really remember.

orkanamn

Banned
I'm doing some missions in the chugoku region if anyone's interested. First run. Just finished a Twilight mission but will be good to go soon.

Edit: oh pass phrase, let's say "dclxvi".

Or how on beta that wheelmonk in the twilight caves, the one sitting right behind a curve up on a ledge, would charge you before you could even see it. If you didn't walk up there holding block, you'd be rammed and fall to your death.

Souls have dogs, Nioh has wheelmonks. Screw them all.

Ye this random cheap shit has no place in nioh, they aren't designed to be avoided , you aren't meant to know ones gonna spawn behind a set of boxes a mile away, it's just designed to kill you.

Yall should've gotten the habit of reading wot killed all them graves. Can't recall any firewheel that was hidden outta sight and came rushing at you that wasn't signposted by at least one npc grave saying "killed by fiery asshole", which obv made one wonder where in blazes that thing was hiding.

is the same design element they used to flag wot reaction will get you stomped by a nurikabe, fwiw (although i can clearly remember a couple nurikabes having no nearby graves whatsoever).

grimmiq

Beat W
hite
T
iger
on first try. I barely did though. Very aggressive. Game seems like the main mission levels are sky rocketing now.

Yup, I got to 2nd last mission 39 levels below, beat final boss 31 levels below. That's with doing 75%ish of the side missions, grinding 2 separate bosses 20+ times for smithing plans and 2 hours grinding on the final level for Elixirs.

mrmickfran

So, I was finishing up region 1 and I always started with 6 elixirs.

But now I'm at the start of region 2 and now I always start with 4 elixirs.

What gives?

Whoyouare

I've completed the adept mission to unlock sloth but for some reason I can not unlock it. It tells me I still need to beat the mission. I already have! Any ideas?

Deku Tree

So, I was finishing up region 1 and I always started with 6 elixirs.

But now I'm at the start of region 2 and now I always start with 4 elixirs.

What gives?

You need to collect the kodama from each region. They are region specific.

You get one extra elixir per 5 kodama, up to 5 extra elixers.

Lit all the fires and can even make it to the second phase of the damn thing, but I still don't like this boss, it's got too much fucking health.

Lit all the fires and can even make it to the second phase of the damn thing, but I still don't like this boss, it's got too much fucking health.

Imbue your weapon with the fire. If you can handle the first phase normally, you may want to wait until the second phase so you won't have to deal with a small jelly spawn. But I'd advise to use it on the first phase so you can plummet its HP way faster, then use another fire and focus on killing the additional spawn (it'll die in a few hits with your fire weapon). After that, the boss is yours.

Yuki-Onna is down! Phew, that was a tough fight. Took me about 10 tries, but I finally got her. Lifeseal + Paired Raiken talisman attacks seemed to be a good combination to keep her aggression at bay.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A couple of questions:

• What stats should I focus on if I like Swords and Spears/Axes?
  • I am loving the ranged stuff, but I suspect that's useless for bosses, right?
  • Should I invest in specific stats for magic/Ninjitsu?
  • How many skill points do you get? Lots of choices and I don't want to grab something that stinks.

Nose Master

One restores your living weapon I know that much. I think one of the buff icons looked like it was the Stamina buff?

Honestly I can't really remember.

Beat it on my second try.
What a garbage boss. Worse than Centipede. "Just stay in living weapon perpetually and wait around for him to slap his hands down for a minute. Nailed it. Bed of Chaos tier gimmick."

Imbue your weapon with the fire. If you can handle the first phase normally, you may want to wait until the second phase so you won't have to deal with a small jelly spawn. But I'd advise to use it on the first phase so you can plummet its HP way faster, then use another fire and focus on killing the additional spawn (it'll die in a few hits with your fire weapon). After that, the boss is yours.
I got it to the point where the little ones don't show up, but I only have two fire spells and I don't hit the weak points on the arms. I mainly just stay close and hit the body cause it's just easier to dodge the tentacle attacks that way for me. I guess I should try equipping the amulets as well.

Cleve

I got it to the point where the little ones don't show up, but I only have two fire spells and I don't hit the weak points on the arms. I mainly just stay close and hit the body cause it's just easier to dodge the tentacle attacks that way for me. I guess I should try equipping the amulets as well.

I had a frustrating time with this boss until I realized you can 'focus' the left and right arm balls, just tap left/right on the right stick when the arm comes out. Makes it WAY easier to dodge and hit them. Also, you can use the fires in the boss' room to light your weapon during phases. Or try popping those fire breathing masks as it emerges/is weak . Takes massive health off and sets it on fire.

joesmokey

I just realized in NG+ there's a
Mission Meter to unlock other regions. These sub missions are getting a bit grindy :/.

On the bright side, my axe Kaido set is doing pretty well. Need to get my stamina higher though so I'm not sitting at 83% weight.

Kyoufu

Mission Meter to unlock other regions. These sub missions are getting a bit grindy :/.

On the bright side, my axe Kaido set is doing pretty well. Need to get my stamina higher though so I'm not sitting at 83% weight.

The other regions don't unlock via story progression?

So I kinda got lost in the shit castle and ended up fighting the boss before fully exploring. I didn't end up giving all the dung to the guy in the room.

What do you actually get for giving him enough dung?

Zafir

It's a shame about the story. I actually don't feel like it's that bad, and the characters have potential. That said, it just feels so disjointed. It felt like areas/bosses were made, and then the story an after thought.

(Don't read if you haven't finished "The Defiled Castle" story mission.)
I think the Ogress area is a good example of this. The mission felt really arbitrarily placed. The only reason it has purpose is because they realised, oh shit we haven't given any exposition to Okatsu, we better randomly shove her in so people can see her backstory, allowing them to understand the events of the mission after!

By the end of the game it does definitely feel like the story links up better with the missions, but it's a little too late really.
Beat it on my second try.
What a garbage boss. Worse than Centipede. "Just stay in living weapon perpetually and wait around for him to slap his hands down for a minute. Nailed it. Bed of Chaos tier gimmick."

Yeah I totally agree, I hated it. It's on the same level as the
Centipede
, easy but totally shit design. :p

Nose Master

Can we do weapon tier lists? Cause:

DK > Kusa > Sword / Spear > Axe.

Kusa would be higher cause it's so fun to use but I can't deny DK's completely OP just frame follow up.

Sword and Spear are incredibly boring but solid. Loathe Axe. Best combo potential seems to be low stance light light light followup for speed, safety and damage purposes, but the range is somehow less than barehanded which is absolutely ridiculous.

silva1991

Can we do weapon tier lists? Cause:

DK > Kusa > Sword / Spear > Axe.

Kusa would be higher cause it's so fun to use but I can't deny DK's completely OP just frame follow up.

Sword and Spear are incredibly boring but solid. Loathe Axe. Best combo potential seems to be low stance light light light followup for speed, safety and damage purposes, but the range is somehow less than barehanded which is absolutely ridiculous.

For me it's sword > spear > dual sword/kusa > axe

Axe is just so boring.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Axe is only boring moveset wise, as it's easily the most risky weapon to play with, making actual confrontations a lot more tense than, say, poking from a distance with a spear for a cheesy victory.

Don't hate. Axes are well ace.

Karamsoul

Okay, so I'm going to say it: Nioh is the best Souls-like game since Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. Incredibly well-made, engrossing, and the fun-factor is off the charts. It's also the perfect Souls/Onimusha/Tenchu mix I've ever seen. Currently on region 5 and cannot put this game down.

Personal ranking for reference:

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls + DLC/Nioh
3. Bloodborne
4. Dark Souls 2 + DLC
5. Dark Souls 3 + DLC so far

Nose Master

Okay, so I'm going to say it: Nioh is the best Souls-like game since Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. Incredibly well-made, engrossing, and the fun-factor is off the charts. It's also the perfect Souls/Onimusha/Tenchu mix I've ever seen. Currently on region 5 and cannot put this game down.

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls + DLC/Nioh
3. Bloodborne
4. Dark Souls 2 + DLC

I understand what you mean but we collectively have to stop using the phrase fun factor, unless you're ironically using gamepro faces.

Also you should be careful about the honeymoon period with this game for real tier lists, imo. That said, current rank: BB > Demons = Nioh > Dark 1 > Dark 2 = 3

Not worth beating a dead horse with the DS2 gripes, but DS3 was extremely phoned in, imo.

EDIT: Nioh's silly hat game is too strong. I can't decide :mad:

Finished this yesterday, 145 deaths, level 114. Got to
Yamata No Orochi
at level 92, had to grind a bunch of Elixirs because I kept running out when there were still
3 heads
left.
Nobunaga
was cool, barely made it through the 1st time, no elixirs and a tiny bit of HP left, backed into a corner and got a headshot with my cannon
Kelley
was pathetic,
Yamata no Orochi
was a bit annoying, made it a LOT easier when I reforged some of my armour and got -30 elemental damage on 2 pieces of gear, went from losing 1/3hp to 1/8 to certain attacks.
Eyes
was also annoying because of
all his annoying eye adds

The eyes
were so weird to me cuz none of them ever hit me as i just walked around. finally was like "K" and beat the boss

wish there was a way to fight more bosses outside of missions one on one

sorry for dp

Axe Kaido build is totally turtle OP

ayyy were all running the same build. I think my weights around late 70s. What guardians do you guys use? Ive been using Enko

orkanamn

Banned

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls + DLC/Nioh
3. Bloodborne
4. Dark Souls 2 + DLC
I totally agree although I haven't gotten very far because of work. I'm still on the second region but must have put in at least 10 hours. Got stuck in the first region helping others. I do wish a third party could join. It's just more fun!

Edit: I would rank them like this because Dark Souls was the first one I played and frankly I find Demon's Souls to hard.

1. Dark Souls + DLC
2. Nioh
3. Demon's Souls
4. Bloodborne
5. Dark Souls 2 + DLC
6. Dark Souls 3 + DLC

joesmokey

ayyy were all running the same build. I think my weights around late 70s. What guardians do you guys use? Ive been using Enko
I'm using shark guy for now because I'm trying to get my Strength to 60 before I put more points into Spirit to take advantage of bonuses from others.

I always forget to use living weapon though :/.

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls + DLC/Nioh
3. Bloodborne
4. Dark Souls 2 + DLC
My personal rankings: Bloodborne slightly better> Dark Souls = Dark Souls 2 = Dark Souls 3 = Nioh
disclaimer I never beat Demon's Souls. Still praying for a Remaster :(

Wagram

Assuming the game stays the same till the end I would rank it this compared to the competition:

Dark Souls + DLC
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls 2 + DLC
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne + DLC
Nioh

Nioh is a great game (don't take the fact that it's last on my list as a reason it isn't), one of which i'm having an absolute blast with, but it's not perfect. It's missing that special nuance that Souls innately has. That feeling that everything has been intricately designed and properly placed. Nioh has great combat (I really like bows in this compared to Souls), but it's not nearly as challenging and the areas aren't as tightly designed. There's also the problem of the wonky story that barely makes sense, inventory management is a mess and the limited enemy design. I do believe Nioh is a very good solid first attempt from Team Ninja and I think they can improve even more next time.

Fandangox

Things that are certain:

1: Death
2: Taxes
3: Tadakatsu attacking you at the worst, most inconvenient time during the Two Kings mission.

Freeman76

1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls + DLC/Nioh
3. Bloodborne
4. Dark Souls 2 + DLC

Haha pretty much identical to my feelings, although I would switch 4 and 5 around personally (I didnt like 2 much)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom