• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of a second, from the scratch character that uses dual katana and kusarigama, and light armor, but I also kinda want to have access to Yatagarasu armor (looks) right away. Is there a way I can wear that set in mission one and die repeatedly and then pick it off my own revenant with other char? XD

edit.
Like I know there are more tools in the game but whats the point in using them against regular enemies when just mashing works and that requires barely any skill.

The beauty of it is that it exist, not that you're required to use it.

Players who seek to improve themselves have a way to do it, while players who just want to get through aren't forced to learn all that.

Robiin

Does anyone have two elemental weapons equipped? Is it a feasible strategy? For example one combo with weapon 1 then switch to weapon 2 and trigger discord?

Just thinking, because I threw firebombs at a yokai and then hit him with my Raikiri and it triggered discord.

myco666

Players who seek to improve themselves have a way to do it, while players who just want to get through aren't forced to learn all that.

But you have to learn something outside of mashing because of bosses. You just can't mash square > ki pulse > mash square until boss is dead. You can do that in most enemy encounters though because most of the time you fight horned yokais or soldiers which can be beaten that way. Not to mention how damn slow enemies in levels are compared to bosses.

My point is that the game does very poor job at teaching how to play it. Enemies shouldn't go down from just mashing and it shouldn't be so fixated to give you always 1-on-1 fights when you have crowd control options and all bunch of other stuff.

Yet most of the time I watch those videos the players get only few hits in and back off outside of that Onryuki. Yes you can get more than few hits in when your opponent is out of Ki or you have gotten them down on the ground. You still need to back off in lot of cases and can only get few hits in.

With regular enemies you can just mash without ever backing off. Not even pressing a dodge button needed. Hell even Ki Pulse isn't mandatory most of the time. That kind of strategy doesn't work against bosses but it works through majority of the game because it throws the same enemies at you all the time.

edit.
Like I know there are more tools in the game but whats the point in using them against regular enemies when just mashing works and that requires barely any skill.

In the examples I listed they're occasionally backing off due to their own stamina passing a given threshold and trying to be safe-ish (increasing the likelihood of certain attacks triggering) due to no-damage meta objectives, not what you perceive as some overarching flaw in the game's combat design.

Bottom line though: what can be done with Onryoki can also be done to the majority of the Yokai bosses / enemies alike if you sufficiently familiarize yourself with them. Whilst the weakest can be mashed against, there's more efficient ways of dispatching them if you're strictly looking at cranking out damage numbers or eliminating them faster. Whether or not it's an utmost necessity is not outright negative, and it's entirely within your prerogative if you'd prefer to effortlessly go for the path of least resistance (in this case just mindlessly tapping a lone button) if that's genuinely enjoyable to you. Doesn't automatically mean those other choices suddenly become moot or not worth exploring at all.

Baalzebup

My point is that the game does very poor job at teaching how to play it. Enemies shouldn't go down from just mashing and it shouldn't be so fixated to give you always 1-on-1 fights when you have crowd control options and all bunch of other stuff.
Wtf is this shit? The levels are full of situations where you'll be facing multiple enemies at once unless you actively avoid those situations by using alternate routes, picking off enemies on the sides and using ranged weapons to whittle out the numbers.

People also need to understand that, everything you see from people playing this game in a stylish way, is choreographed. It pushes the boundaries on what you can get away with, and requires you to know how exactly your charterer works and how the enemies work.

Like here, https://youtu.be/wZZ9igj6ANg?t=1m39s , i''m not reacting to Nue's tail spin , i know its coming, so i switch to low stance and jump over it when it comes, and this works because i know the timing of it.

Naturally most people playing the game just want to beat it and move on, so its never going to be a stylish action game for them. Its gonna be hit the boss till it dies. This would obviously change if the game demanded you use its combat system, instead of "Ya you can just chip away at its HP bar".

myco666

In the examples I listed they're occasionally backing off due to their own stamina passing a given threshold and trying to be safe-ish (increasing the likelihood of certain attacks triggering) due to no-damage meta objectives, not what you perceive as some overarching flaw in the game's combat design.

Bottom line though: what can be done with Onryoki can also be done to the majority of the Yokai bosses / enemies alike if you sufficiently familiarize yourself with them. Whilst the weakest can be mashed against, there's more efficient ways of dispatching them if you're strictly looking at cranking out damage numbers or eliminating them faster. Whether or not it's an utmost necessity is not outright negative, and it's entirely within your prerogative if you'd prefer to effortlessly go for the path of least resistance (in this case just mindlessly tapping a lone button) if that's genuinely enjoyable to you. Doesn't automatically mean those other choices suddenly become moot or not worth exploring at all.

What would be more efficient way to dispatch a horned yokai? If they whiff one attack I can do heavy stance combo which destroys their Ki entirely and I can get a second heavy stance combo afterwards which either kills it or leaves it with so little health that it can't recover its Ki fast enough so I can do another heavy combo.

I don't really enjoy doing it like that but it is the safest way I know and it works really well so why stop using it. You are right about the options not becoming not worth exploring though. I am bad at wording my opinions sometimes but I am practicing it haha.

Wtf is this shit? The levels are full of situations where you'll be facing multiple enemies at once unless you actively avoid those situations by using alternate routes, picking off enemies on the sides and using ranged weapons to whittle out the numbers.

Unless you just run foward and aggro bunch of enemies on purpose you really won't. And when it does throw you more than one enemy it is usually just that one enemy and it is 2-on-1 situation where you can kill either of them in one combo before they even attack. Or you even hit both of them at the same time.

edit. I am talking about main missions though. Sub-missions do offer bunch of variety in enemy encounters and I think the main missions should have more of those kind of situations.

Freeman76

Im at Region 6 now, cant believe I am saying this about a game I enjoy so much but its too long lol. Its beginning to feel like they longed it out, dunno why as I love every minute of what I play. I think I would have been happy going into NG+ after Region 5.

lawtowler

Just reached the boss in Falling Snow. Saved up and will take it on tonight after work. Have absolutely loved the last few level aesthetics. Region 3 has been the highlight for me so far.

... Does it get better?

JJShadow

Just beat
Hino-Enma
for the second time in that hot baths submission without taking any damage, I don't know whether I'm surprisingly good or I'm extremely overleveled lol (lvl 82 atm)

Wink

It has just now come to my attention that some people actually play Nioh in movie instead of action mode and I can't take it, going into shock... wtf people.

Just beat
Hino-Enma
for the second time in that hot baths submission without taking any damage, I don't know whether I'm surprisingly good or I'm extremely overleveled lol (lvl 82 atm)

Not taking a hit would point to at least being pretty good no matter how overleveled I'd say. (Maybe not NO matter, some people fell bosses in one swoop with their crazy weapons)

gfxtwin

Okay I take it back, Skeleton boss was quite fun after spiking the crystals.

There's a Honda side mission don't worry. You can fight him but easier to destroy crystals.

The first Honda fight seemed like a fun challenge based on what little I played of it.

Main concern is if fighting him or not in the main missions effects the ending or something...

gfxtwin

Just reached the boss in Falling Snow. Saved up and will take it on tonight after work. Have absolutely loved the last few level aesthetics. Region 3 has been the highlight for me so far.

... Does it get better?

Just finished region 4 and there is at least one mission as good as anything so far IMO (Iga Escape).

laxu

Some missions have those smaller crystals (not the ones blocking the path). Is there any point in destroying those?

Do I have to unlock Living Weapon somehow? I am at the second boss and have still never used Living Weapon. My gauge doesn't fill up(or even move) and I have no animal in the middle of the gauge.

edit. I am talking about main missions though. Sub-missions do offer bunch of variety in enemy encounters and I think the main missions should have more of those kind of situations.

If the whole game had encounters like the sub missions, it would go from a solid 8/10 to one of my favorites of all time. From what we saw in alpha, i imagine it used to have these encounters.

Baalzebup

Do I have to unlock Living Weapon somehow? I am at the second boss and have still never used Living Weapon. My gauge doesn't fill up(or even move) and I have no animal in the middle of the gauge.
... The only way that could be a permanent set of affairs is if you have actually removed your Guardian Spirit by unassigning it from the "change Guardian Spirit" menu at a shrine. Otherwise, you have likely died recently and your spirit is currently at your place of death, guarding whatever amrita you had.

Trakan

I wanted to go with Red Demon, but it's a spear focussed set ):

It still has the highest close combat damage bonus as far as I know, and close to 30% ki recovery speed. I haven't found a better set to wear for my kusarigama build. I know the Iga set is good but I don't use ninjitsu much.

Tomeru

Learn to discord them, I also hated them at first especially since they have no weakness and so much health, but once I learnt to discord these guys are as easy as any normal enemy now.

Whats a fast way to do that?

It still has the highest close combat damage bonus as far as I know, and close to 30% ki recovery speed. I haven't found a better set to wear for my kusarigama build. I know the Iga set is good but I don't use ninjitsu much.

Only for burning foes. Crossed sickles have 14.2 and 20 damage from behind. I'm rocking this set. For ki regen I'm shimazu.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
You can farm the material from a mission.
( The one with the big cat at the end. It's what I did)

Yeah, but if it's a guaranteed drop from the twilight mission, then I'd be wasting my time farming for it, right? :)

So, anyone? Is White Tiger Fur a guaranteed price for completing the Best And The Worse twilight mission? Thanks!

Greddleok

Cool. I also don't use ninjutsu. I have poison but I generally prefer the elemental effects.

Baalzebup

Yeah, but if it's a guaranteed drop from the twilight mission, then I'd be wasting my time farming for it, right? :)

So, anyone? Is White Tiger Fur a guaranteed price for completing the Best And The Worse twilight mission? Thanks!
Yes. The rewards are absolute, no RNG involved. Edit: Except on repeat runs of the various missions where the item quality for the reward can be something like ( Divine or below), but that doesn't happen on first runs.
Only for burning foes. Crossed sickles have 14.2 and 20 damage from behind. I'm rocking this set. For ki regen I'm shimazu.
You should click options/touchpad, depending on your control scheme, and use the 'help' feature's detailed explanation about those bonuses. The Shimazu bonus isn't quite what it might seem.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Whoever designed the tengu enemies should be beaten. Those things are awful to fight.

Tengus are actually pretty easy if you stay close! They don't do their green air slash thingies if you stay close. Their melee combos are fast, yes, but predictable. So stay on their ass, bait their claw strike, then block or dodge their followup kick, and then get a hit in before blocking (or preferably: dodging) their staff attack (which is one of the few attacks in the game one can reliably iFrame dodge through, trust me). Sometimes they don't even do the staff attack and it's just the claw-and-kick combo they go for.

Learn this, and they'll be easy. The only thing that catches me off-guard is their aerial grab attack (it's so damn fast) but they only seem to pull that one out once in a blue moon. Anyway, I now genuinely look forward to fighting them; they're so much fun.

Yes. The rewards are absolute, no RNG involved. Edit: Except on repeat runs of the various missions where the item quality for the reward can be something like ( Divine or below), but that doesn't happen on first runs.

Thank you, you hero :) Well, that's me waiting for that final twilight mission then! Hope it unlocks tomorrow.

Robiin

At work just thinking about the game. Is it feasible/possible to discord enemies with raikiri electricity, then fire/poison buff the weapon with magic? Not that the normal enemies are very hard, maybe good for revenants and stuff?

Peroroncino

Is there any good synopsis pertaining transferable and reforgable skills?

Because not every skill can be transfered on every weapon, even tho it has a slot or other transferable to overwrite. And sometimes it seems that reforging are constatly gives me the same skills, making me feel like I can't get anything better from it and that I'm just wasting money.

schlynch

Unfortunately Shimazus regen activates only at low health.

Is it the same with the set bonus? Couldn't test it myself since I don't have 6 pieces.

Aesthet1c

Alright these double boss fights are murdering me. I feel like I've became a total Samurai by late game and none of the later bosses gave me very much trouble.

These double boss fights though, I'm not even getting close. I can get one boss about 2/3 down on a good run, but by that time I have ran out of all my healing items/magic.

I've seen cheese runs with living weapons, but I don't really want to respec unless I absolutely can't do it.

Anyone have any normal strategies that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom