• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT| Stamina is Ki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagram

I can certainly see the points about lacking enemy variety and some repetition in area design. That alone drops it out of contention for Souls with me, but i'm still having fun. The sequel absolutely needs a step up in these departments.

I believe no. I think the Rev can't be higher than the mission's recommended level.

I could be 100% wrong, however

The Rev can be higher than the mission's level, pretty sure about that. I see Revs in the high 60s/lower 70s on the bridge duel level in Region 3. I was playing it last night for parrying practice.

Liethe

For getting the modifiers you want on a weapon, is it easier/better to reforge a weapon until you get it or transfer it all from other weapons? I noticed two different versions of the same weapon can have 5 or 7 slots for modifiers. Is there anything that determines that?
The rarer colored weapons have more slots for modifiers. white -> yellow -> blue -> purple -> green. Fixed modifiers on a weapon don't count towards the amount so a weapon with, say, fixed water element will have more modifiers than a weapon of same rarity with no fixed modifier.

xuchu

2 hours, 70 deaths and no progress. This game sure doesn't make me feel good about myself lol.

Two kings yes? Go after
Tachibana
first after he tends separate himself from
Honda
. You can use the sword parry haze to set him up for an iai strike into killing blow, which does immense damage, however
Honda
really likes to throw rocks when you're charging the iai so going for the killing blow is sometimes safer. You can use the rock to the left to kite and separate them, doing damage to Tachibana when Honda is on the other side. You can dash through his running iai and quickly poke punish with a simple combo as well.

Once
Tachibana
is down, the fight's pretty much over as
Honda
is a chump without backup. Just do ki damaging moves such as heaven flash into sword ki. You can also easily parry his shining grab. All the above advice is for sword only of course but I'm sure there are equivalent moves with other weapons. You don't need Omnyo or ninjutsu to beat this fight and I'm sure you'll get it with enough perseverance. Maybe take a break and come back to it fresh though. Good luck.

Raybunny

So starting on the soul matching and leveling gear and got a few questions.

This inheritance skill does not transfer to the other. Is it cause its a blue stat? Or its on the same spot as the purple of the other?

The spirit bonus goes from A to B+ ( wondering if it will go to A again after max fam).
PS_Messages_20170221_184849.jpg

Gala

I'm playing with an axe build right now, but I have the feeling that I put way too much points into stamina (50) and not enough into strength (around 20). Is that okay?
And are there any must have skills hidden in the axe skill tree and in the other trees I should probably get?

Liethe

So starting on the soul matching and leveling gear and got a few questions.

This inheritance skill does not transfer to the other. Is it cause its a blue stat? Or its on the same spot as the purple of the other?

The spirit bonus goes from A to B+ ( wondering if it will go to A again after max fam).
PS_Messages_20170221_184849.jpg
Your inheritance skill won't transfer because it clashes with "damage from behind" already on the weapon. You are correct that the Spirit bonus will go back up once you max familiarity.

Raybunny

Your inheritance skill won't transfer because it clashes with "damage from behind" already on the weapon. You are correct that the Spirit bonus will go back up once you max familiarity.

Interesting. Even changing that stat to agility damage bonus it does not want to go there. :/

Edit: That one also conflicts. Thanks for the explanation

Trakan

Interesting, is there a list somewhere of what clashes with what?

Liethe

Interesting, is there a list somewhere of what clashes with what?
A quick search returned this reddit page. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the way I thought of it while playing is, anything that is vaguely the same "type" of effect will clash. So Close Combat Damage cannot be stacked with Damage from behind, or high stance damage, or strong attack damage.

However, it gets a bit confusing since grapple damage and final blow damage do not clash with those general other damage skills. :/ just gotta try things out.

Can you reforge to add elemental damage to any sword, or only ones that already have it?

Edit: Like which of these stats should I reroll to try and get an elemental effect?

Attack is 833
Change to Attack (Spirit) A+
Final Blow Damage 11.6
Strong Attack Break 16.2
CC Life Recovery 258
Enemies Defeated Damage Bonus B-
CC Attack Ki Reduction (Critical)
Status Ailments Relieved (Purification)

I died 40+ times to the ice lady last night until I finally beat her.

I am at
White Tiger
now. I'm going to try to beat him tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Played Sub-Mission 6 for an hour straight last night and finally beat the damn boss.

Really gratifying, took me a while to figure out the strategy though.

beat into his guard a shit and break it to do a finishing move

Trakan

A quick search returned this reddit page. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the way I thought of it while playing is, anything that is vaguely the same "type" of effect will clash. So Close Combat Damage cannot be stacked with Damage from behind, or high stance damage, or strong attack damage.

However, it gets a bit confusing since grapple damage and final blow damage do not clash with those general other damage skills. :/ just gotta try things out.

Thanks, found this link in that thread.

http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Reforge

Baalzebup

Can you reforge to add elemental damage to any sword, or only ones that already have it?
The opposite of latter, as you can never add another element to a weapon that already has one. If the weapon doesn't have an element damage property (or poison or paralysis, as they are considered elemental effects in this aspect) it can be rolled into it via reforging. Melee weapons only though, I've never seen an elemental effect on a ranged weapon.
Thanks, found this link in that thread.

http://nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Reforge
... both in-accurate and incomplete. It is missing Poison and Paralysis from the elemental pool and puts Change to Attack (stat) X effects into the same pool with damage bonus effects, though in reality they are from different pools and can co-exist on the same weapon.
Proof:

Hobbes211

I'm playing with an axe build right now, but I have the feeling that I put way too much points into stamina (50) and not enough into strength (around 20). Is that okay?
And are there any must have skills hidden in the axe skill tree and in the other trees I should probably get?

I played with sword/axe as my build and I have 22 in strength I think. I'm cut fairly evenly across the board with 24 in body, 26 in heart, 22 in strength, 22 in skill, etc. I was mainly raising stats as they scaled. There almost seem to be soft caps that aren't well explained. For example, one level strength might scale with my axe at +1, so I'll drop a point into skill because it scales at +2, then next level strength suddenly scales at +3.

At the end of the game I'm doing insane damage with my axe in high stance though. I beat Two Kings first try and the Other Shore around my 5th try I think. If I remember, and if you're interested, I can PM you my full build when I get home from work.

Freeman76

Holy shit. Someone just joined me, and killed the second from last boss with me, I think he was glitching or something he used only Ninja stars and seemed to have unlimited amounts and the bosses health literally drained he was dead in 20 seconds. What is this phenomenon?

Holy shit. Someone just joined me, and killed the second from last boss with me, I think he was glitching or something he used only Ninja stars and seemed to have unlimited amounts and the bosses health literally drained he was dead in 20 seconds. What is this phenomenon?

I doubt it was a glitch. You can have crazy OP builds in this game. So it's probably more their set-up than anything else.

Darksheik

There is something I don't understand regarding the equipment sets.
I have a complete one that includes: sword, riffle and 5 armor pieces.

Once I equip everything I get only the bonus of the weapons (2 pieces colored white in the set list). While the 5 armor pieces are colored red and do not add their bonuses.

I'm not sure I was able to properly explain the "issue" but what do I need to do to have the bonus of the complete set? Thanks.

N° 2048

Twice in a row I've joined The Demon King Revealed as a visitor and I get there when the boss is beaten.

Free loot for me I guess.

Freeman76

I doubt it was a glitch. You can have crazy OP builds in this game. So it's probably more their set-up than anything else.

Fair play!

i think i have reached the last main mission (the demon king revealed) do i need to complete all side quests first or can i come back to them after?

Liethe

Once I equip everything I get only the bonus of the weapons (2 pieces colored white in the set list). While the 5 armor pieces are colored red and do not add their bonuses.

I'm not sure I was able to properly explain the "issue" but what do I need to do to have the bonus of the complete set? Thanks.
I'm not sure, but could the issue be that you do not have the required minimum stats for the armor? if you look at the armor pieces, right at the bottom it should say what stats you need to get the effects.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cool, thank you.

So, is there really a point to the mid stance? Maybe other than moveset? I mean, why wouldn't I either just maximize my attack with hi, or my defense with low?

Mid stance (katana at least) is great for fighting human enemies as you can parry them. It's also the best stance to block. The mid-stance dual kats combo that ends in triangle-triangle is also pretty solid.

I actually did that myself, but I really doubt the extra gold I accrued through my playthrough from selling items (which already have a low resale) really made all that much of a difference compared to a 30% discount of Soul Matching, which is already ridiculous (it gets a reduction later when using the same type of items, but it's still super expensive even with the discount).
How do you get a Soulmatch discount? The only patronage point options I see are discounts on forging and buying...

Hobbes211

Sounds like you don't meet the stat requirement to wear the item to get the bonus. When you look at the item, look at the bottom of the list and there's a strength and skill stat that you might be too low on.

Baalzebup

At the very bottom of the armors info you'll see their stat requirements. The ones you don't meet will be red. Until you meet those, you won't get the specials from those armors, including them being counted as part of the set.
How do you get a Soulmatch discount? The only patronage point options I see are discounts on forging and buying...
A later side mission to Tome will increase your options in that regard.

Twice in a row I've joined The Demon King Revealed as a visitor and I get there when the boss is beaten.

Free loot for me I guess.

My favorite is when I get summoned and the player and the boss aren't moving. So I just knock that boss out an collect the loot. Though your luck is way more efficient.

Ferr986

The opposite of latter, as you can never add another element to a weapon that already has one. If the weapon doesn't have an element damage property (or poison or paralysis, as they are considered elemental effects in this aspect) it can be rolled into it via reforging. Melee weapons only though, I've never seen an elemental effect on a ranged weapon.

... both in-accurate and incomplete. It is missing Poison and Paralysis from the elemental pool and puts Change to Attack (stat) X effects into the same pool with damage bonus effects, though in reality they are from different pools and can co-exist on the same weapon.
Proof:

where the Onimaru Kunitsuna comes from? can't find it!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Can anyone tell me which weapons are the special elemental swords in the game?

I have rakiri maxed out right now and feel like a badass making all enemies go in slow motion after a while

are there are katana like this one?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What are the funniest developer revenant names you guys noticed? I cracked up at "RebootRygar", "LOA.test.subject.1" (null variable bug or intentional joke?), "I_died_here", couple of more I'm already forgetting.

edit:
Thanks!

EDIT: Wait... who the fuck is the great master? lol

lol.... here

V-Faction

In case anyone's interested (which I doubt) here's how I did the game hardest boss fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ts9CDe29-M

"Here he comes now, the big ham."

~

She's Mrs. White Christmas, I'm Mr. No'!
She's Mrs. Icicle, I was Mr. 10 ft. below!
Fiends call me Demon Ruler, whatever I touch...
BURNS TO ASH IN MY CLUTCH! Ha Ha! (I'm too much)

She's Mrs. White Christmas, I'm Mr. O'!
She's Mrs. I-ci-cle, I used to be 10 ft. below!
Betrayed by my advisor, all of Japan shall I touch...
AND WATCH IT CRUMBLE IN MY CLUTCH! Ha Ha!! ("He's too much!")

I never want to know a dame
That's over 40 degrees!
I'd rather have it 30!
20! 5! Then let 'em freeze! (brrrr)

She's Mrs. White Christmas, I'm Mr. No'!
She's Mrs. Icicle, now I'm back, let the Amrita flow!
You'll be none-the-wiser, whatever I touch...
WILL BE RULED BY MY IRON CLUTCH! (I'm too much)
Too, too much..!

Liethe

I have rakiri maxed out right now and feel like a badass making all enemies go in slow motion after a while

Any weapon can have an element if you Reforge one of it's skills/modifiers. As for the ones that always come with elements, I dunno if there is a comprehensive list. Atagi Sadamune has water, and Hikoemon Ichimonji has fire, these ones I remember at least.

What are the funniest developer revenant names you guys noticed? I cracked up at "RebootRygar", "LOA.test.subject.1" (null variable bug or intentional joke?), "I_died_here", couple of more I'm already forgetting.

edit:

lol.... here

not a name but in the first real level theres a guy who burned to death, if you summon him he dodges into fire and burns to death again. funny as shit

myco666

Okay now I am just mad. This happened. I had it but then screwed up so badly. God I am so stupid. Didn't even realize
he was healing

Two kings yes? Go after
Tachibana
first after he tends separate himself from
Honda
. You can use the sword parry haze to set him up for an iai strike into killing blow, which does immense damage, however
Honda
really likes to throw rocks when you're charging the iai so going for the killing blow is sometimes safer. You can use the rock to the left to kite and separate them, doing damage to Tachibana when Honda is on the other side. You can dash through his running iai and quickly poke punish with a simple combo as well.

Once
Tachibana
is down, the fight's pretty much over as
Honda
is a chump without backup. Just do ki damaging moves such as heaven flash into sword ki. You can also easily parry his shining grab. All the above advice is for sword only of course but I'm sure there are equivalent moves with other weapons. You don't need Omnyo or ninjutsu to beat this fight and I'm sure you'll get it with enough perseverance. Maybe take a break and come back to it fresh though. Good luck.

Yep. Kinda figured the order already. Doesn't work other way around at all.

Also I do appreciate the tips for sword but I use kusarigama so I don't have almost any of those options.

Lorcain

2 hours, 70 deaths and no progress. This game sure doesn't make me feel good about myself lol.
I know how you feel! I've been there. I'm more impressed with people that push through after many, many attempts than someone who easily takes down bosses on their first or 2nd try the whole game. For me Nioh and the Souls games are all about learning and persistence.

Baalzebup

Raikiri for Lightning, Onimaru Kunitsuna and Hikoemon Ichimonji for Fire, Sohaya Tsurugi for Earth, Atagi Sadamuni and Nami-oyogi Kanemitsu for Water. Dual Swords have Fudo Kuniyuki & Yagen Toshiro and Kago-Tsurube Muramasa & Inoshishi-Giri for Fire, O-Kanehira & Uguisu-Maru for Lightning. Spears have Akaoni-no-Sankatsu for Fire, Tombo-Kiri for Wind, Oni Sakon's Spear for Lightning, Ikkoku Nagayoshi Spear for Earth. Axes have Kaido Axe for Lightning, Mononobe Axe for Earth and Gozutenno's Axe for Wind.

List incomplete for sure, but that is a good many of them. Out of all of these, only the Raikiri has an actual visible and audible special effect as part of the weapon skin itself AFAIK and remember.

Okay now I am just mad. This happened. I had it but then screwed up so badly. God I am so stupid. Didn't even realize
he was healing

Yep. Kinda figured the order already. Doesn't work other way around at all.

Also I do appreciate the tips for sword but I use kusarigama so I don't have almost any of those options.

use high stance, then serpent strike into footsweep on tachi. thats the easiest way to get rid of him. note, that both moves can whiff on uneven surfaces so try to bring tachi either close to you, or at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom