• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Yes! I knew it would be well received. Playing the final cemented that fact for me. Now I don't know if I should preorder the digital or physical version.

To anyone who's on the fence and hasn't played this game -

This game makes Dark Souls 3 feel incredibly dated (and I'm a massive Souls fan). It's brilliant. To be fair it's probably more comparable to Bloodborne anyways. I played the last chance demo and for the first time in a long while I found myself playing a game that felt new and fun, yet challenging at the same time.

The Ki system is really interesting. Doing Ki cancels in the recovery animations and then switching to another stance is almost like doing something in a fighting game. I'm curious as to whether that gets even deeper in the full game. Basically, if you like Street Fighter and Dark Souls you should buy this without hesitation.

People were having problems with the mechanics of this game!?

you should see just how often people would completely disregard ki pulse, or would miss that they could buy ki pulse on dodge, or not know how to summon a guardian. or not understand how affinity worked, and lots of other stuff.

didn't help that the LCT didnt explicitly tell people that there was also an optional advanced mechanics tutorial at the dojo either.

Love you Eurogamer and that review got me even more hyped about this game, but "primarily single-player games are on the decline right now"? Is it really impossible to write anything about any single-player game without mentioning this?

Ferr986

You guys and those reviews are making me really close to pull the trigger.

I just fear the game has that TN "fair" moments like offscreen exploding shurikens

Mupod

was expecting this to get trashed in reviews, not like I give a shit. I saw what I needed to see during the last chance trial. Which I expected to play through once and instead it devoured my weekend. Nioh is like a PS2 game that's releasing in 2017 and I mean that in the best way possible.

I see someone is concerned about damage sponge enemies again, I don't know why this keeps coming up. Maybe if you just play in low stance all the time. If you play well then even the yokai enemies go down fast. The big oni dudes for example I can typically kill or get very low with one hit to their horn followed by a high stance spear light light heavy combo.

Also XLHGladiator's video isn't meant to show how to kill enemies in the fastest way possible, rather kind of the opposite.

Milijango

No, that ability was only in LCT.

Beta had dodge pulse on high stance only, while the Alpha had it on Low only

I see, thanks. Seems like a good change.

Unfortunately it's not really the ideal time for me to be gaming but if I do buy anything this month it'll probably be Nioh.

Hydrargyrus

By the look of the betas, this game seemed very good but it's nice to hear a bunch of confirmations!

This must be the best start of the year I remember.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
By the look of the betas, this game seemed very good but it's nice to hear a bunch of confirmations!

This must be the best start of the year I remember.

But, i've heard Japanese games are irrelevant from some areas so...

No but seriously, i agree with you. Firing on all cylinders. The games may not all get 10 out of 10 critical acclaim, but we have not yet had an actual bad game yet in 2017 despite all the releases in just the first month so far

Wow, much better reviews then I was expecting. Great stuff.

OT but it's been bothering me: Sony, what's the point of your "Only on" or "Console Exclusive" labels if your not going to use them on a game you're publishing and pushing?

Ashtar

Reviews are lower than I thought they'd be, but still good can't wait already got that dig deluxe just waiting on the predownload

seph1roth

This game makes Dark Souls 3 feel incredibly dated (and I'm a massive Souls fan). It's brilliant. To be fair it's probably more comparable to Bloodborne anyways. I played the last chance demo and for the first time in a long while I found myself playing a game that felt new and fun, yet challenging at the same time.

The Ki system is really interesting. Doing Ki cancels in the recovery animations and then switching to another stance is almost like doing something in a fighting game. I'm curious as to whether that gets even deeper in the full game. Basically, if you like Street Fighter and Dark Souls you should buy this without hesitation.

In gameplay mechanics, it's deeper than the Souls games, for sure, and those games are really good in terms of gameplay, so NiOh it's even better.

But i feel a little "dissapointed" that the game is more similar to a loot based game than a Souls game in terms of missions and campaign design.

Don't get me wrong, i like those kind of games a lot, but i expected something different and better polished in terms of quest and world design like Souls games, which are incredible imo.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad decision, NiOh is a different game, a mix between genres, i think i'm making unfair comparisons, because NiOh shines with its own light.

Hydrargyrus

No but seriously, i agree with you. Firing on all cylinders. The games may not all get 10 out of 10 critical acclaim, but we have not yet had an actual bad game yet in 2017 despite all the releases in just the first month so far

Not only a there aren't a bad game, there are a lot of really good ones: GR2, Yakuza 0, NiOh, REVII (not exclusive)...

It like that holydays lineup for PS2 but a few months later. Seems like the times have changed and now the holydays are reserved only for multiplayer games like COD and Battlefield, but I can't remember a better line up for one season since a lot of years.

Gbraga

no Nexus.

You have a Map, there you can chose missions, visit the blacksmith (buy, sell, forge etc. weapons/armors) and lots more.. the map is the Hub.

You have a nexus, it's just mostly menus.

Oh well. Good to know.

So more diabloesque game than a Souls game.

I'm one of the few gamers that like Souls games more for their intrincate level and quest design (specially in DS3) than the gameplay itself, seems like NiOh it's not that kind of game.

But, on the other hand, i love DIablo games so perfect! :)

After reading more reviews, i see a lot of similarities with Shadow Warrior 2 (apart from the gameplay and procedural world design of course).

Yeah, I'm with you. I really do enjoy the kind of game Nioh is, but when I read people saying that Nioh made it hard to play Souls again for them, it's very clear that we don't play Souls for the same reasons.

As someone who was very into DMC before starting to play Souls, and pretty much completely transitioned to it after falling in love with Dark Souls, watching a stylish video on Nioh doesn't really do much to change my mind on which one I prefer.

But, again, I do enjoy this kind of game too, so I'm excited to play Nioh, for sure. I just don't expect to devote years of my life to it, and replay it as much as I replay Souls. But that's ok.

bigol

In gameplay mechanics, it's deeper than the Souls games, for sure, and those games are really good in terms of gameplay, so NiOh it's even better.

But i feel a little "dissapointed" that the game is more similar to a loot based game than a Souls game in terms of missions and campaign design.

Don't get me wrong, i like those kind of games a lot, but i expected something different and better polished in terms of quest and world design like Souls games, which are incredible imo.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad decision, NiOh is a different game, a mix between genres, i think i'm making unfair comparisons, because NiOh shines with its own light.

The alpha, beta and demo already showed less polished and detailed areas compared to Souls games. It was never going to review like a Souls game for that reason, too. That's a valid reason, to be honest. I know that not every souls like game should be like Souls, but a bit more details and better map interconnections would have been great.

Great map design should not be exclusive to Souls games.

Inuhanyou

Not only a there aren't a bad game, there are a lot of really good ones: GR2, Yakuza 0, NiOh, REVII (not exclusive)...

It like that holydays lineup for PS2 but a few months later. Seems like the times have changed and now the holydays are reserved only for multiplayer games like COD and Battlefield, but I can't remember a better line up for one season since a lot of years.

You forgot Berseria and KH :l

The one thing I feel is missing is the fantastic music that was present in the souls games.

Still glad the game is reviewing well I enjoyed the little bits I played.

seph1roth

The alpha, beta and demo already showed less polished and detailed areas compared to Souls games. It was never going to review like a Souls game for that reason, too. That's a valid reason, to be honest. I know that not every souls like game should be like Souls, but a bit more details and better map interconnections would have been great.

But NiOh it's a different game, more based in missions and loot similar to Diablo or recent Shadow Warrior 2.

That's not a good comparison, there are similarities of course, a lot in fact, but for the most part it's a different kind of game probably focused to a different audience.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I love Japanese games, but even we add up Nioh,GR2,Nier,Yakuza,TOB, sales may still lower than Horizon

Milijango

Why are there no review videos?

I'm guessing most outlets didn't have enough time to write the review, record footage, then produce a scripted video (they only had seven days to complete and review a 40-hour game). There have been a few livestreams though.

Gbraga

But NiOh it's a different game, more based in missions and loot similar to Diablo or recent Shadow Warrior 2.

That's not a good comparison, there are similarities of course, a lot in fact, but for the most part it's a different kind of game probably focused to a different audience.

Won't stop the comparisons and people shitting on both Nioh and Souls for things they never even tried to do.

Tyaren

I'm guessing most outlets didn't have enough time to write the review, record footage, then produce a scripted video. There have been a few livestreams though.

That is still strange. When was the last time a game didn't get video reviews?

bigol

Well, in the alpha, beta and demo maps there were some shortcuts like unlocking ladders, doors and such, so their intention was to make the map design a bit more interesting than the Diablo or Shadow Warrior world, they tried but didn't manage to reach the Souls quality.

It's not unfair to compare both games in this element.

shounenka

This game makes Dark Souls 3 feel incredibly dated (and I'm a massive Souls fan). It's brilliant. To be fair it's probably more comparable to Bloodborne anyways.

As a massive Souls fan myself, every video I see of Nioh (including today's streams) just makes me want Bloodborne 2 so bad that it hurts.

Still, the positive reception is great. A lot of work was obviously put into the game.

seph1roth

Won't stop the comparisons and people shitting on both Nioh and Souls for things they never even tried to do.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed in a near future if they are expecting a 1:1 Souls game but with feudal japanese art style.

And it's a pity because NiOh seems to be a solid game in every aspect, it doesn't even try to be a Souls game in some of its areas.

Mutombo

another complaint that is slowly trickling in: the enemies are pretty much the same the entire game. No new tactics needed.

Shredderi

Dated how? I've played the souls games but not this.

Inuhanyou

I love Japanese games, but even we add up Nioh,GR2,Nier,Yakuza,TOB, sales may still lower than Horizon

Why do you automatically go to sales when i'm referring to the competency of the development community in Japan?

I've heard plenty recently that japanese games dont matter and that they are even shit. But we come back and see plenty of great games getting good reception and reviews and filling out the library of what would be some very slow months.

Japan still makes many of the best games out there. That's what i mean.

Milijango

That is still strange. When was the last time a game didn't get video reviews?

For sites like Gamespot, reviews seems to be the most viewed videos by a good margin, so I'd have to imagine they're working on them. Of course, neither Gamespot and IGN have even finished their written reviews.

Has anyone commented on the music? Weird question but I'm curious.

Inuhanyou

another complaint that is slowly trickling in: the enemies are pretty much the same the entire game. No new tactics needed.

Yeah, you can kind of see the limitations of the budget of the game when you look in certain areas. Environmental design and enemy variety took somewhat of a hit to prioritize other stuff like the depth of the gameplay and such. Luckily the bosses are all different.

I really think that as a new IP, it ticks all the right boxes. DMC had to be perfected and have a big miss in 2 to hit 3 after all.

I feel like DLC or a sequel to this game would really expand and fix the issues people see.

Dated how? I've played the souls games but not this.

Purely in terms of fusing Souls mechanics gameplay wise with moment to moment combat. Its just far more in your face, speedy and reaction based.

Going back to Souls on console or BB really makes you miss the pinpoint precision afforded by the combat of Nioh(and it helps that you get a 60fps mode as well)

Top Bottom