• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

I had high hopes for this game and I'm glad the reviews back me up.

Still, with my Yakuza Zero playthrough in progress and Resident Evil 7 sitting on my desk, there is just no way I'm gonna play this on day 1. :(

Gbraga

So, is the final game's structure still like the demos? No Nexus style hub at least?

Not a deal breaker, already have it preordered, but I didn't really like that aspect.

Hanmik

So, is the final game's structure still like the demos? No Nexus style hub at least?

Not a deal breaker, already have it preordered, but I didn't really like that aspect.

no Nexus.

You have a Map, there you can chose missions, visit the blacksmith (buy, sell, forge etc. weapons/armors) and lots more.. the map is the Hub.

For those that are interested LobosJR is streaming the game.
I watched his demo playthrough on youtube and it turned me off the game a bit - it looked quite repetitive in terms of combat and enemies, like enemies have very high HP and there was not much visually to perk your interest.

The negatives in the Eurogamer review also confirm a few similar issues I have with the game. I was waiting for the reviews to see if they might hype me in to getting this at release but they've just confirmed I'll stick to pick it up for £20 in a few months time.

I watched his demo playthrough on youtube and it turned me off the game a bit - it looked quite repetitive in terms of combat and enemies, like enemies have very high HP and there was not much visually to perk your interest.

The negatives in the Eurogamer review also confirm a few similar issues I have with the game. I was waiting for the reviews to see if they might hype me in to getting this at release but they've just confirmed I'll stick to pick it up for £20 in a few months time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0vGOCTwyg

AndersK

[NaK];229564960 said:
They gave Bloodborne 7/10, so I wouldn't pay much attention to them.

Or, seeing as they rated both games similarly, adjust your expectations. All this tells us is they find the two games to be of similar quality. Bodes rather well in my opinion.

Freeman76

Yakuza and RE7 have me too engrossed to consider buying this.

Played the demos and its just too much like souls, I need to have a break from these types of games for a while as they are way too familiar now.

Will pick up in a few months when cheaper. Good to see it getting nice reviews.

xviper

great scores, from what i played in the beta, well earned

hope there is more locations variety than what we saw and played

seph1roth

What about the missions and level design?, it's more linear and "Diabloesque" style or more like the Souls saga (non linear areas, quest design without any clues and connected between NPCs, etc).

Seems more like a mix between Diablo and Souls games more than a pure Souls made by Team Ninja.

In fact, after reading some reviews, it looks more like Shadow Warrior 2 but with different gameplay.

Good mix of ideas i must say, not totally feeling it, but the demo was great imo.

What about the missions and level design?, it's more linear and "Diabloesque" style or more like the Souls saga (non linear areas, quest design without any clues and connected between NPCs, etc).

Seems more like a mix between Diablo and Souls games more than a pure Souls made by Team Ninja.

In fact, after reading some reviews, it looks more like Shadow Warrior 2 but with different gameplay.

Good mix of ideas i must say, not totally feeling it, but the demo was great imo.

Missions are exactly what you've experienced from the demos. Linear but with a good amount of shortcut designs. Stage based and not open world.

Side missions allow for some 'fun' as you have npcs joining you for certain quests.

Definitely not as obtuse as Souls with it's quest design.

Damn this sound s good. Haven't played the beta but I love the souls games. This seems like a must buy, right?

Can you change/ customize the face of your character?

Hanmik

Never played a Diablo game (don't mock me).. but played all souls games.

Nioh is not exactly like souls games in mission and level design. You chose missions from a map-hub. You can chose main or sub missions. Once a mission starts it is a single level in the same style as Souls games. One big level, where you can find shrines(bonfires), and find (make) shortcuts. The Mainstory levels remind a lot of Souls levels. Sub missions are the same levels, but they are "closed" so they are much more linear and faster, no shortcuts and no (for the most part) save points.

There are no obscure stuff like Souls games.. no NPC's to interact with (ok there are some in the submissions, but not like Souls)...

[NaK]

Don't see the problem.
It's a low score compared to a lot of other reviews, and I guess I just wanted to point out that GR:SE has given out low scores to really popular games with similarities previously. Both Bloodborne and Dark Souls received 7/10.

seph1roth

Missions are exactly what you've experienced from the demos. Linear but with a good amount of shortcut designs. Stage based and not open world.

Side missions allow for some 'fun' as you have npcs joining you for certain quests.

Definitely not as obtuse as Souls with it's quest design.

So more diabloesque game than a Souls game.

I'm one of the few gamers that like Souls games more for their intrincate level and quest design (specially in DS3) than the gameplay itself, seems like NiOh it's not that kind of game.

But, on the other hand, i love DIablo games so perfect! :)

After reading more reviews, i see a lot of similarities with Shadow Warrior 2 (apart from the gameplay and procedural world design of course).

So more diabloesque game than a Souls game.

I'm one of the few gamers that like Souls games more for their intrincate level and quest design (specially in DS3) than the gameplay itself, seems like NiOh it's not that kind of game.

But, on the other hand, i love DIablo games so perfect! :)

After reading more reviews, i see a lot of similarities with Shadow Warrior 2 (apart from the gameplay and procedural world design of course).

I only have a surface knowledge of Shadow Warrior 2, but from what I remember it's not a wrong comparison.

No one asked for help, it was just a personal observation.

"Can't be helped" doesn't imply that someone needs help.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Remember folks, this is not a souls game, but a different game entirely with some souls elements present.

Combat is different, level design is mostly different, upgrading is different ect.

Really like the fact that its getting good scores. Hopefully the sales back it up too.

I am on the "support Nioh" train 100% after having Last Chance demo consume my brain

Too tankyyyy..... /s

I dont know why thats meant to show they arent too tanky.

That yokai at the start takes me 30 seconds here with the highest weapons you can find in the last trial (Same as XLH video, but he usually levels up too). Considering most players will be slower than this and with normal appropriate gear, those enemies are going to go on for a while.
https://youtu.be/ZPACxkxMZFA?t=3m25s

However the bird at the start of this video only takes 50 seconds with the level 1 sword.
To me the HP balancing seemed really off in the last trial, normal mode enemies were too low and twilight too high.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That yokai at the start takes me 30 seconds here with the highest weapons you can find in the last trial (Same as XLH video, but he usually levels up too). Considering most players will be slower than this and with normal appropriate gear, those enemies are going to go on for a while.

However the bird at the start of this video only takes 50 seconds with the level 1 sword.
To me the HP balancing seemed really off in the last trial, normal mode enemies were too low and twilight too high.

He says in the video that he intentionally was using low stance and a low damage build to show off combos primarily. The time to kill enemies is not representative of video, its just there to show how awesome combat can get if your good at it

Amazing, thanks.

Do we already now how long this game is? Similar to the souls games? How's the level design? I'm scared of ready reviews (spoilers).

Average number seems to be 40 hours. Obviously depending on your skill levels and how much subquest you want to do. About the same as Souls basically

The first yokai in the twilight mission took me 5 seconds.

How? If you throw a bomb or light his back on fire he explodes even if he has full health

xuchu

Good gameplay. I didn't think enemies in twilight levels were tanky when using appropriate level weapons. Your vids also show they aren't too tanky when engaging with and readily using the games combat mechanics. Maybe you think they are too tanky though, so that's just a difference of opinion, and that's totally cool. Yeah, I did level 1 sword run as well. Mostly ran away from enemies. Tengu bird was doable though. Sucks that we couldn't use wooden sword in the LCT. I want that sweet 'twack.

Given how often people were having problems with the game's mechanics during the beta and trial, was expecting this to score a flat 80 on average. pleasantly surprised.

Weapon procs aside, It's tied to stance more than anything, really. If a dude rocks low stance all day erry day, everything takes waaay too many god damn hits. Medium and High feel much less grindy.
Part of why its hp drops much faster as soon as you stamina drain it and switch to high.

Top Bottom