• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Trace

Banned
86 is the new 96 isn't it

Naw more like the new 90-92. Reviews are definitely a bit harsher compared to last gen but it's not a 10 point gap.

Ehhhhh, there's a radar of sort but it's functionally pointless by default. It's only used to find your dropped Amrita.

But I heard using Onmyou spells you can buff it to find a lot more things.

The spirit buffs also have things like an enemy radar/treasure radar depending on the spirit.

When you complete the game you have the option to choose the next level of difficulty "Way of the Strong".

Reviewer on Reddit said:
NG+ hits right after you complete the mission after credits. You unlock the ability to level up spirit guardians and immediately can engage with the new "difficulty" which is NG+, called Way of the Strong.

BigEmil

I wonder who is not gonna release their review today and do so later
When you complete the game you have the option to choose the next level of difficulty "Way of the Strong".
Like NG+ sounds like oh my and I thought Twilight missions was enough. Man I'm too hyped for this game

Sayad

Naw more like the new 90-92. Reviews are definitely a bit harsher compared to last gen but it's not a 10 point gap.
I don't know about that, this is inline with how Ninja Gaiden and Souls games reviewed last gen. Games that aren't trying to please everybody, end up being better for fans of the genre and worse for the general public.

Milijango

I don't know about that, this is inline with how Ninja Gaiden and Souls games reviewed last gen. Games that aren't trying to please everybody, end up being better for fans of the genre and worse for the general public.

Ninja Gaiden got a 91. The entire Souls series is between 88-92, whereas this is 85.

A five point difference is significant given the narrow range game scores fall into.

Eolz

Seems that some scores are a bit lower because it's difficult all while not being Dark Souls. Reminds me of Tropical Freeze.

I'm ok with that, can't wait.

ryushe

Nothing surprising about these reviews. Played the last chance demo for 15 minutes and knew they struck gold.

Can't wait to pick this up.

Auctopus

So was Dark Souls 2 to be fair and that game reviewed better than both DS1 and Demon souls :p

But then again Souls is critics darling.

I'm not sure why people are being so defensive of the game already, I'm literally just quoting what the reviews said.

And after playing the betas, it's quite obvious that the level design isn't trying to be Souls-like or open-world and is more linear in most cases.

I'm not sure why people are being so defensive of the game already, I'm literally just quoting what the reviews said.

And after playing the betas, it's quite obvious that the level design isn't trying to be Souls-like or open-world and is more linear in most cases.

They decided against having an open or interconnected world because of load times, essentially. Given how instantaneous they are upon death, they made the right decision for their game.

Jb

Ninja Gaiden got a 91. The entire Souls series is between 88-92, whereas this is 85.

A five point difference is significant given the narrow range game scores fall into.

Man I really wish people would stop obsessing over MT scores :/

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmm I did not like the demo at all really, but I love Souls, NG and other action RPGs.

The reviews are really good though, maybe I should give it a second chance. If only I could try the demo again... (Oh I miss the days of real demos.)

Welcome back team ninja and that destructoid review is correct.

Hell of a start for ps4 games in 2017 with no sign of it slowing down in the next few months

Great scores as I fully expected.

I didn't vote this #1 in the Most Anticipated Thread for nothing. Those of us who watched or played the demos knew exactly what to expect from Nioh.

silva1991

I'm not. Trust me. Just saying that bad level design won't necessarily bring the scores down.

I'm still expecting overall MC to end up at low 80.

Team Ninja actually make a good game and of course it's an exclusive.

If the next Ninja Gaiden is exclusive too then I'll scream.

Pity I'll never get to play Samurai souls Gaiden :(

@MUWANdo

Banned
Reviews are saying that it's more accessible/easier than Souls. I did not expect that.

It's more accessible inasmuch as it's way, way more transparent about how things work and the narrative is more direct, but that doesn't really affect the level of mechanical challenge at all.

Auctopus

I'm not. Trust me. Just saying that bad level design won't necessarily bring the scores down.

I'm still expecting overall MC to end up at low 80.

Oh, right yeah, sorry. That's what I was saying earlier. A lot of the reviewers point out the weak level design as a smaller discussion point than the excellent gameplay.

deleted

I haven't seen anything for this game since the initial reveal impressions.

It's a PS4 exclusive? Or is it Ps4 + PC?

Yoh! Those scores. Welcome back, Team Ninja. Hope they can carry that momentum for future titles now. Especially for a Ninja Gaiden release, if we ever see one.

As others have said, it's been nice start to the year for PS4. Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, and Now Nioh are all solid games. Fairly confident Horizon will be the next to join the party.

Top Bottom