• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

One of my fears was that the environments and level design might be a bit lacking, but I guess it wouldn't have gotten so many 9's in that case?
Dont worry from what i saw from screenshots from people who got the game early there is gonna be awesome and different environments.

spliced

Reading some reviews and it kinda reminds me of Bloodborne in a way where it has a good core game to it but the added content gets dull and tedious(well the CD in BB are terrible, but close enough).

I don't think a single retail release has flopped so far this year. To say Q1 2017 has lived up to the high expectations is an understatement at this point.

Kolx

So since Sony is publishing this in the west how is this gonna work? koei tecmo paid for the development of this right? so is Sony getting a percentage of the game sales in the west while koei tecmo is getting the big share?

Hanmik

Just making sure since people use those sites for source a lot when looking at trophy percentages.

That is definitely interesting but then again they might just not sync their trophies or something. Also it is hard to tell how many people have the game already and how many of them are reviewers.

Yeah I know.. The % might not mean much.. and it all depends on a lot of factors. I was just interested in knowing if any reviews are mentioning whether they completed the game or not.

GHG

Reading some reviews and it kinda reminds me of Bloodborne in a way where it has a good core game to it but the added content gets dull and tedious(well the CD in BB are terrible, but close enough).

Nothing about Bloodborne is tedious due to how good the core gameplay loop is. There is fun to be had even in the chalice dungeons, especially if you are after certain types of loot.

Orpheum

Wow i really didn't expect it to score this high. And since i'm done with Resident Evil 7, it's a good time to buy this.

BigEmil

Why is that port-begging guy getting gutted? Isn't there going to be a PC version?
There are no mention of PC release but thread gets derailed with alot of these posts port begging in every of these threads every single time so I can see why people get annoyed

Sony is doing really good with exclusives so far this year.

It's not Sony; it's Japan. They're back, baby!

I don't think a single retail release has flopped so far this year. To say Q1 2017 has lived up to the high expectations is an understatement at this point.

I know we don't have numbers, but relatively speaking Gravity Rush 2 was probably a flop.

So since Sony is publishing this in the west how is this gonna work? koei tecmo paid for the development of this right? so is Sony getting a percentage of the game sales in the west while koei tecmo is getting the big share?

I expect Sony is paying for the marketing and distribution themselves but they'll have a deal in place where they share the profits with Tecmo Koei?

Nothing about Bloodborne is tedious due to how good the core gameplay loop is. There is fun to be had even in the chalice dungeons, especially if you are after certain types of loot.

Yeah, I totally agree with this. It's why I've done so much grinding on my playthrough - the combat and level design is so good and so fun that just running through never feels boring.

Floody

I assume it being PS4 exclusive is Sony's payment and Koei get the majority of the sales money.

Critic wise sure, not so much sales wise.

I don't think any one expected these games to sell that well, especially poor Gravity Rush 2. RE7 seems to be meeting sales expectations though and that is the only big game so far. I think Nioh will perform OK.

Sales wise i think GR2 tanked.

Again not talking sales, but critically. Which is what we were hyping. Good games to play, not how much they would sell.

J4g3r

I was expecting a lot more diversity in the scores, great to see.

ROLL ON RELEASE!

gut feeling say that reviewer know it's really great, but afraid to give 10/perfect score because they couldn't beat it yet. :p

Polygon have had their copy for 6 days according to their early impressions.

6 DAYS!

That just seems insane to me.

Baalzebup

Any reviewers talk about the FPS, action mode etc that should be worth some points alone
Destructoid did, in a very cheeky fashion that got a chuckle out of me:
Destructoid review said:
Another big draw for hardcore action fans is Team Ninja's commitment to three different graphical options, akin to a PC release: "action," "movie," and a mixture of the two. The former ensures that the game operates at a smooth 60FPS with some sacrifices to graphical fidelity, while the movie option locks the game at 30FPS. For those of you who feel like 30 FPS is "more cinematic," you'll be happy with that setting, and every other sane person will be satisfied (there's 4K TV set support too, bolstered by the Pro).

Overall, the stuff I read from the reviews linked in the OP paint a picture of a game I will jam for hours upon hours. Twilight missions and NG+ extra difficulty level(s). Yes please.

Voidguts

sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but is the game stage based, open world or what? any souls-ish shortcut open areas? considering pre-ordering

edit: also, there IS a char. creator/editor right?

Auctopus

Great scores. One of my fears was that the environments and level design might be a bit lacking, but I guess it wouldn't have gotten so many 9's in that case?

A lot of the reviews have mentioned how the level design is lacking with some repetitive or even re-used environments.

I think the testament is that the gameplay is good enough to warrant a 9 in spite of that.

sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but is the game stage based, open world or what? any souls-ish shortcut open areas? considering pre-ordering

Mission-Based, with main missions, side-missions and twilight (extra hard) missions. But the missions are quite long, I imagine. Some souls-ish shortcuts.

kromeo

FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

Its only February....

Yakuza 0
Gravity Rush 2
Nioh

Going back to late 2017 Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian. I think it is highly unlikely that Horizon Zero Dawn flops from the previews we got. Persona 5 is obviously a great game and that already released in Japan. Mass Effect Andromeda and NieR Automato are the wild cards. Fuck Ubisoft games. Don't care about them.

I know we don't have numbers, but relatively speaking Gravity Rush 2 was probably a flop.

Oh my God. I guess because I said retail games many of you think I meant sales. I'm saying the retail games have been good games. Totally divorced from how much they sold.

Voidguts

Mission-Based, with main missions, side-missions and twilight (extra hard) missions. But the missions are quite long, I imagine. Some souls-ish shortcuts.

ooh! man I gotta cop this, the combat just looks fantastic. I missed out on the demos :'(

You get unlockable skins at some point of the game, earned via ingame currency. No actual custom character creator or editor. You can also play fashion games via armor visual modification.

good enough, all of the armor I've seen is really well designed.

silva1991

This game has difficulty settings?

A lot of the reviews have mentioned how the level design is lacking with some repetitive or even re-used environments.

I think the testament is that the gameplay is good enough to warrant a 9 in spite of that.

So was Dark Souls 2 to be fair and that game reviewed better than both DS1 and Demon souls :p

But then again Souls is critics darling.

Top Bottom