• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Review Thread

Yu Narukami

still torn. didn't get far in the beta. after watching some boss fights they seem to have a huge hp pool. not sure i want to put in the time to git gud
You should be fine. I'm a total noob and my reflexes are shit and I was able to beat the bosses. If you are stuck at a boss you can summon someone.

still torn. didn't get far in the beta. after watching some boss fights they seem to have a huge hp pool. not sure i want to put in the time to git gud

I'll probably just summon help and scum my way through bosses. Not quite ready for another backbreaking game, but this is the type of game I want to experience along with every one else while the community is going strong.

I have to admit even though I have a pro, I think it was a big mistake not to release on PC. This game could potentially sell a million copies on PC. I think that would probably be worth more than exclusivity.

I assume they knew what trade-offs were and deciding partnering with Sony was worth it.

Milijango

Do some of the reviews mention whether they have finished the game or not?

because the trophies and the percentages for the game speak a funny story (unless nobody ever syncs their trophies anymore)..

there are around
trophies for completing parts of the main story..

First Trophy has 95%
Second has 43,6%
Third: 16,7%
Fourth: 6.9%
5,4%
3,7%
2.6%
2.3%
2.0%
and so on... ;o)

so not that many seem to have completed the main story yet..

If you're looking at PSNProfiles those numbers are always way out of line. It lists 24% of Bloodborne players as having that game's platinum when actually only ~6% have. For Gravity Rush 2 it lists a 6.5% platinum rate when PSN itself says ~1.2%.

Auctopus

By what the current reviews have said, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some lower scores later on. Seems like combat is the only stellar thing about the game, whereas level design and story seem to be lacking. I know there's plenty of players out there who can survive on gameplay alone but I can just see that being a reason as to why some scores come in lower.

Game looks great either way.

Do some of the reviews mention whether they have finished the game or not?

A few reviews talk about how spectacular the final boss is. But can we not bring in the hardcore Souls mentality of whether some reviewers have the cred to review a game like this or not.

mp1990

Banned
I have to admit even though I have a pro, I think it was a big mistake not to release on PC. This game could potentially sell a million copies on PC. I think that would probably be worth more than exclusivity.
there's a huge market for souls games on PC, it's gonna be reeeeeally weird if it don't end up releasing there

also the game looks like steaming hot garbage on the normal ps4 and that artstyle deserves a better hardware

Hanmik

Where did you get this info? If you checked sites like trophyleaders or psnprofiles remember that those only track accounts that are submitted on those sites.

From my PS4.. I have the game (still not finished).. and I just checked the latest percentages on my PSN phone app ..

The trophies are directly from PSN.

wapplew

Could release on PC later date, it's KT ip after all and most of their games are on PC.
Do not read to much into SIE publish in the west, but let's enjoy the game regardless.

Alucrid

Banned
You should be fine. I'm a total noob and my reflexes are shit and I was able to beat the bosses. If you are stuck at a boss you can summon someone.

I'll probably just summon help and scum my way through bosses. Not quite ready for another backbreaking game, but this is the type of game I want to experience along with every one else while the community is going strong.

didn't realize there was a ally summoning component, thanks

Hanmik

Reviewers are supposed to hide their trophies until the embargoes lift. Most don't bother showing them back.

but the trophies should still count on the Percentage on PSN.. you can hide them from public view. But the trophies still count towards the overall percentage on PSN.
Unless I am mistaken...

Nothus

Not surprised at these scores at all. Game is an absolute fucking blast to play.
Early review embargo shows confidence from the devs/publisher.

Quick question...can anyone remember a publisher setting an early review embargo like this, but then the game tanks and gets poor reviews?

BigEmil

Woo!
znzOBjl.gif
Love it haha

maverick40

Playing through it now and love it!

Dark souls like difficulty with deeper customisation and choices. Also there is a world map, thank fuck

Not surprised at these scores at all. Game is an absolute fucking blast to play.
Early review embargo shows confidence from the devs/publisher.

Quick question...can anyone remember a publisher setting an early review embargo like this, but then the game tanks and gets poor reviews?

Quantum Break. 76 isn't horrible, but it is very bad for supposed new blockbuster IP.

Can't wait to play the PC version at some point. Looks like a great game!

Get your point begging, trolling out of here. Don't you ever tire of your act in PS threads?

Could release on PC later date, it's KT ip after all and most of their games are on PC.
Do not read to much into SIE publish in the west, but let's enjoy the game regardless.

Oh I will. I'm counting the days. Going ham on projects and assignments in my classes to have plenty of free time. Knocked out like two weeks of Ruby assignments/projects in the last two days lol.

Javin98

Banned
Really nice to see yet another game scoring so well. I enjoyed the demo, but it felt a bit underwhelming at the same time as well, almost like a poor man's Soulsbourne. Hopefully, the full game is something I will truly enjoy.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Port begging....I used to do this because want play "free"
pirate
games, I really changed a lot past few years
Yeah, I also cheated on online, I was a badass

What's up with you and pirating tonight? First Windows, now games?
When I was child, everyone in my country used pirate, now more and more people would like to pay for software, I am one of them

Yesterday someone asked me help him install pirate Windows and Office, reminds me a lot of things

Milijango

From my PS4.. I have the game (still not finished).. and I just checked the latest percentages on my PSN phone app ..

We don't know how many review copies are out there, and are only about 20 scored reviews out there. If there are a couple hundred review copies of Nioh out there then those numbers could easily be accurate AND reviewers aren't lying when they say they've finished the game.

Also do trophy percentages update in real time?

Gurish

The PS4 has been killing it so far this year. Absolutely killing it.

Indeed, Sony will never beat PS2's glory days but the PS4 is gonna be their second best console most probably, Sony is back being super dominant with sales and with games line up this gen.

xuchu

Great scores! This is looking to my GOTY 2017. Glad to a developer/publisher confident of their game these days.

myco666

Just making sure since people use those sites for source a lot when looking at trophy percentages.

That is definitely interesting but then again they might just not sync their trophies or something. Also it is hard to tell how many people have the game already and how many of them are reviewers.

Jimrpg

Yikes, you'd hope reviewers would have at least gotten halfway through the game.

It's not surprising, this game is way fucking hard. It doesn't mean they won't like it, but they might just 'say' they played enough if ya know what i mean.

Mutombo

Great scores. One of my fears was that the environments and level design might be a bit lacking, but I guess it wouldn't have gotten so many 9's in that case?

I really liked playing the alpha and the last chance beta, so I know it will play awesomely. Actually, the only reason I would like the level design to be stellar is because I'm comparing it to Souls. But I should stop doing that.

Vasili2K38

Great reviews! Since the first alpha, I always said that this weird "bastard" of Souls-Loot-Ninja Gaiden with the feudal japanese background was amazing. And as a fan of Souls and action games, its very refreshing to see a studio to tackle the genre spicing things a bit.

Great scores. One of my fears was that the environments and level design might be a bit lacking, but I guess it wouldn't have gotten so many 9's in that case?

I really liked playing the alpha and the last chance beta, so I know it will play awesomely. Actually, the only reason I would like the level design to be stellar is because I'm comparing it to Souls. But I should stop doing that.

I have feeling we have seen anything when it comes to level design. Not saying it will be amazing like Souls caliber, but I expect more than what we have seen in the alpha and betas.

Zaventem

From the stream ive been watching level design still isn't as good as a souls game but it's above the ususal "everything is flat" syndrome.

Top Bottom