• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Walk Through (TGS 2015)

RedSwirl

Looks cool. The pace looks like it's in-between Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls. Knowing KoeiTecmo I think there's still a reasonable expectation of a PC version eventually but we'll see.

It's odd seeing a 3D action game on a console in the current era that isn't chasing after everything Assassin's Creed and/or Call of Duty are doing, as if it understands it's not going to sell 10 million copies. Games like this, Ni No Kuni 2, Gravity Rush 2, and NieR Automata really do feel like kind of a return to the PS2 era. Like, these feel like the kinds of games you actually want to have sitting on your shelf like DVDs or books, instead of today's more service-driven games that exist as clients on your hard drive.

Why are people calling this Souls like? When the game is basically Ninja Gaiden right down to the same sound effects used in the menus/attacks.
An interesting tid bit here: the first prototype TN made after taking over was basically just like Ninja Gaiden in every aspects. But Koei wanted it changed to a slower pace.

Soriku

Looks like fun, just hoping for:

-More difficulty. The mobs were being mowed down. The boss hits hard but didon't seem too bad with those iframes.

-The boss arena could be bigger. Looks cramped.

-Interesting level design. Interconnected world?

-I also hope there's some variety in the look of the areas.

Btw the level up screen is straight up out of Souls.

I'll probably be roasted for this a bit, but I admit I am looking forward to this more than Dark Souls III for some reason...
Having never played a DS game is probably part of this, but I did love Bloodborne and it has that vibe also mixed with some DMC and classic Jubei Ninpucho (Ninja Scroll) feel...

I'm with you. Played DS2 after Bloodborne but it didn't grab me the same way. I like the speed of BB more than anything else and Nioh looks like it will match that quite well. I'm going to get DS3 down the line but Nioh is going to be day 1 for me.

Oh yeah and I like the ancient samurai setting way more than dark fantasy, which is a huge bonus.

mcz117chief

RE was decent, but it's hard to fix the garbage that was vanilla though.

Edit: Hah I love how people judge a games difficulty of a TGS demo.

Razor's Edge is my favourite Ninja Gaiden game and Ni-Oh is going to be another master piece from Team Ninja. I considered doing a cosplay of Ni-Oh but there is so much chain mail it would cost a fortune just to buy all the material.

edit: Oh damn, the classic mistake that I can't believe Japanese devs keep making. Ni-Oh's stances are all fine except for one, where he holds his sword to the side with his elbow stretched out, you know, the classic Hollywood style like we see in Star Wars and such, while actually he is supposed to keep his elbows DOWN to make himself a smaller target, like this:
txQVBQE.jpg

It hurts me when I see it, because I remember that once I also had my elbow like that and my master gave me a really hard hit to the elbow so that I would never do that again and called me a "wannabe Hollywood samurai". I honestly don't know if some school actually teaches this form but I know my master gets furious whenever he sees it.

Dame

I hope this does well so Capcom will kick themselves for not reviving Onimusha.

Heavy.Heavy.Damn.Breathing!

also, like another poster said, though this environment might just be one place, let's sincerely hope that they have many inspired and varied environments, that don't simply pass themselves as huts.
Beautiful looking thing though. Very excited for this.

I see why people would call this a souls ripoff but to me it does enough new things to warrant not being called that. Even aggroing more than one enemy looks far more stressful here than in any souls game. Dodge windows look a lot tighter, blocking tougher and more punishing and mobility more limited.

It's a welcome evolution to the gameplay style Souls made popular. I'm thrilled for both games.

Ryu's Dragon Sword will be obtainable ingame.
Would be nuts.
Unless it's a pre-order bonus :V

Someone remind this, this is supposed to fast paced like Ninja Gaiden right?

Because it doesn't look particularly impressive in that footage. Looks slow and clunky.

Because it doesn't look particularly impressive in that footage. Looks slow and clunky.

Nobody promised that. Its supposed to closer to souls than NG.

The very fact he has a stamina bar, shows that you will have to think far more tactically than in NG.

Nobody promised that. Its supposed to closer to souls than NG.

The very fact he has a stamina bar, shows that you will have to think far more tactically than in NG.

Hmm. Could be I'm confusing this with another game then.

Will keep an eye on this, but I'm starting to tire of the Souls formula. What I wouldn't give for a proper fast paced action title like DMC or NG...

That footage looks so so good, I still can't believe this game even exists. That black and white effect around the demons looks really cool too although a bit distracting on the boss.

Hmm. Could be I'm confusing this with another game then.

Will keep an eye on this, but I'm starting to tire of the Souls formula. What I wouldn't give for a proper fast paced action title like DMC or NG...

Yeah this is Souls through and through.

As for your wish, me and you both brother..me and you both.

Eolz

Good insight for the stances.
For NG3, yeah, they showed with RE that they learned their lesson. While they obviously couldn't fix everything, they did a lot of good decisions, and the trial mode is the best in the series. Shame about the story mode and the new bosses though.

Calling it now.

Ryu's Dragon Sword will be obtainable ingame.

I'm sure there will be some references, but I didn't think about that. I'd prefer some other, more subtle references though, like a ninja spider clan, or stuff like that. Wouldn't like what a Dragon Sword being there just like that would imply :p .

Slower than NG, faster than DaS. You can see in the attacks animation the NG heritage.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
to me it looks more like a slower paced Ninja Gaiden 1 than an outright Dark Souls clone, at least combat wise.

Mortemis

Banned
This game is looking more and more hype. Can't wait to see it fully done, hopefully we'll see it at E3 and releases in the west this year.

to me it looks more like a slower paced Ninja Gaiden 1 than an outright Dark Souls clone, at least combat wise.

Yep, same here. There's some parallels between this and DS, but not nearly enough to label this as a clone.

This and NieR Automata are among my most anticipated titles for this year. It looks simply amazing.

Yeah. I hope a PS4 revision comes out before these though. The console noise was a pain for Bloodborne, which like this game obviously doesn't even have music to somewhat drown in out.

So you can return to the place where you died and pick up something that powers you up so you can get past it quicker? Don't know whether I like that idea at all.

Other than that, looks great. Sort of Dark Souls meets Dynasty Warriors without the masses.

So you can return to the place where you died and pick up something that powers you up so you can get past it quicker? Don't know whether I like that idea at all.

Other than that, looks great. Sort of Dark Souls meets Dynasty Warriors without the masses.

Nope, you already have the spirit. When you die you loose the spirit and wont be able to use it till you find it again.

Man this looks so awesome.
Onimusha + Resident Evil 4 + Dark Souls

So you can get to a part where you die without using the spirit, then get back to that part and immediately use the spirit to get past that part?

You already have the spirit. A consequence of dying is not having it when you come back to life until you get to the point you died at. It adds yet another element of difficulty. He just chose to use it the moment he got it again

In all honesty (and I LOVE Bloodborne) this looks better.

They are so different

So you can get to a part where you die without using the spirit, then get back to that part and immediately use the spirit to get past that part?

Well you can already use it before dying the first time. Its like a spell that you equip and when you die you drop it and can't use it till you find it again.

You would just get back to the status quo, dunno if you'll get past where you died faster. Infact you'd be slower if you used the spirit a lot up to that point and lost access to it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
looks fantastic, i've been waiting for a game like this, huge fan of that culture but why aren't we playing as an asian guy? would fit the era with the samurais and stuff much better imo.

like this guy:

lion_clan_samurai_by_auspiciouspanda-d4fy6bd.jpg

Looks great. Souls/Onimusha influenced and not a trace of the DoA fanservice bullshit in sight (for now). More like this please, Team NINJA.

looks fantastic, i've been waiting for a game like this, huge fan of that culture but why aren't we playing as an asian guy? would fit the era with the samurais and stuff much better imo.

like this guy:

lion_clan_samurai_by_auspiciouspanda-d4fy6bd.jpg

Long story short you play a character base loosely on an actual historic figure who was half Japanese half Caucasian

Top Bottom