• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi is fine! It was a mistranslation, d00ds.

Foffy

Banned
Nintendo needs some more satellite studios and they are great at making a profit on smaller titles I say they should scoop them up.

Is there an audience for these types of games in a Nintendo ecosystem? Didn't all of NIS' efforts on DS and Wii sell incredibly poorly?

Besides, this type of crazy depth is not something Nintendo usually goes for in their games. They want simplicity with depth. Disgaea is only simplistic in its visual approach. :p

I really have a hard time on what company, if any, wants to buy NIS' IPs when they don't even do well to begin with. Maybe a random company. I see no major player caring.

OmegaDL50

Wow what a buzz kill thing to say for the situation even if it's true.

"We're celebrating 20 years of Playstation this year! Anything you'd like to say?"

"Buy our game or we'll go out of business. :("

Hate they are in such a situation buy could have stated this at some other time or something lol.

As much as I love Disgaea, Bloodborne has way higher priority for me and there's good chance I won't be able to buy both. :/

As I said earlier. There will be likely to be plenty of copies of Bloodborne on shelves for quite some time after it's release due to the semi-mainstream appeal of the Souls series.

However Disgaea 5 being potentially the last game NIS ever makes could mean it gets a limited print run and runs the risk of becoming the next physical copy of Suikoden II levels of pricing.

Just something to consider.

They also messed up each and every game they brought to the Wii and DS and failed to build an audience there. Wii would do them no help these days but if they had gotten on board with the DS and 3DS they might be doing better.

Also I don't believe for a second that the Vita or PS Three can't handle D5 considering it took them most of the PS3 era to make a game with graphics better than a Dreamcast game. It's more likely that they are just out of resources and bet on the system more likely to produce a home run.

Think of all the potential dirty mini games involving the Wii U touch pad. There are enough man children in the Wii U crowd to make it sell. Toss in some furries and a thousand year old woman who looks kinda sorta a bit like a child to make it legal .... shit writes itself.

Somnid

They also messed up each and every game they brought to the Wii and DS and failed to build an audience there. Wii would do them no help these days but if they had gotten on board with the DS and 3DS they might be doing better.

Also I don't believe for a second that the Vita or PS Three can't handle D5 considering it took them most of the PS3 era to make a game with graphics better than a Dreamcast game. It's more likely that they are just put of resources and bet on the system more likely to produce a home run.

N1 is full of missed opportunities. Mobile would have been a great option for their wheelhouse, 3DS has a proven strategy and RPG market, Wii U is understandable but honestly if you're hurting and all you have is a niche PS4 exclusive it couldn't hurt to triple your userbase. I agree that PS3 and Vita can run whatever it is they have. These guys have less technical prowess than Gamefreak.

Hubb

Apparently Disgaea 5 is too demanding for a Vita port, so I imagine that also rules out PS3 and of course 3DS.

That would/does suck. Disgaea 2 was the last console Disgaea I really played. At this point all my Disgaea'ing is done on handhelds. I'm waiting out D2 Vita port, but now I'm starting to question whether it is even going to come.

Don't let them die Sony. They're one of the few Japanese studios that have stayed loyal to Playstation.

...Because their primary business is Japan and MIcrosoft has little-to-no presence in Japan.

Would they be as loyal if Xbox wasn't completely irrelevant? Probably not.

NIS experimented with Wii and DS titles around 2008-2009...those didn't sell, so they went back to PlayStation.

SerTapTap

That would/does suck. Disgaea 2 was the last console Disgaea I really played. At this point all my Disgaea'ing is done on handhelds. I'm waiting out D2 Vita port, but now I'm starting to question whether it is even going to come.

D2 plays great on PS3, streamlines lots of the annoying stuff like enemy levels, grinding (you can give up XP gain to buff weapon level gain, mana gain etc)

Uthred

This seems like a really weird thing to say, especially given the context, are we sure it wasnt meant as a joke that fell flat?

Amir0x

Banned
I just want to illustrate the profound nature of the companies connection to Sony.

They have been making games for PLAYSTATION since 1995, and over 97% of their games are PlayStation products.

Sony PLEASE help them :(

Skittles

Also I don't believe for a second that the Vita or PS Three can't handle D5 considering it took them most of the PS3 era to make a game with graphics better than a Dreamcast game. It's more likely that they are just out of resources and bet on the system more likely to produce a home run.
You don't understand how sprites work on a system if you're saying that then.

Sony let their own son (Studio Liverpool) die a terrible death and you want them to prop up a company due to loyalty?

Sony did start up a division meant for this sort of thing, if you remember. Some sort of third party relations team. They had gamers send port requests via Twitter and recorded their demands.

bon

What does the PS4 install base look like in Japan these days? They probably should have at least made a Vita version too.

Amir0x

Banned
What does the PS4 install base look like in Japan these days? They probably should have at least made a Vita version too.

to put it in perspective, only Knack - a system pack in - and Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes sold more than 150,000.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah T_T

Well at least I can remote play disgaea 5, I like these type of games on portables... They demand constant attention and I feel guilty monopolizing the TV.

Played each one, not sure if I liked disgaea 1 or 4 the most.

Sify64

Think of all the potential dirty mini games involving the Wii U touch pad. There are enough man children in the Wii U crowd to make it sell. Toss in some furries and a thousand year old woman who looks kinda sorta a bit like a child to make it legal .... shit writes itself.
I don't know if this is serious...

796,711 consoles sold in Japan as of November 30th, 2014.

This is equivalent to PS3 LTD sales as of March 25th, 2007 (794,492).

flohen95

Don't let them die Sony. They're one of the few Japanese studios that have stayed loyal to Playstation.

That loyalty kind of bit them in the ass though. And I really, really doubt that Sony is in the shape to buy up a company that seemingly can't manage to be profitable, seeing as they themselves are struggling and had to close studios. If NIS really does go bankrupt, the most likely candidate to pick them up would be a 3rd party, e.g. Kadokawa, though even that is doubtful. With Atlus, it was the parent company that was going down, while Atlus themselves were still profitable, which is why many companies were willing to pick them up. I don't see that happening with NIS, tbh.

Christhor

It's been known for a while that N1 hasn't been doing very well. I remember a year (two years?) back they lost a lot of employees to Idea Factory, of all places.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You don't understand how sprites work on a system if you're saying that then.
My eyes don't lie. Unless they've gone ahead and really upped their game majorly in the graphics department there's just no way they couldn't have scaled this back to last gen. Like someone else said though they are probably worse than even Game Freak when it comes to harnessing graphics. D3 was plain embarrassing.

Then i'll probably buy it! I don't like tactics games, but i like a lot of nippon ichi games, so i'll buy it, then maybe i'm gonna got my Prinny 3 on vita, who knows?

Hope they stay in the industry!

Nairume

Banned
My eyes don't lie. Unless they've gone ahead and really upped their game majorly in the graphics department there's just no way they couldn't have scaled this back to last gen. Like someone else said though they are probably worse than even Game Freak when it comes to harnessing graphics. D3 was plain embarrassing.
Behold the power of 8 gigs of GDDR5 ram

y4WnNkR.jpg

Truly the most next gen of games

boingball

Man, that would be sad if NIS goes bankrupt. I buy a NIS game almost every second month (compared to one Activision game every two years) so I am doing my part.

Top Bottom