• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nippon Ichi new game - Tolinohoshi Aerial Planet(PS2)

WYWY

By Nippon Ichi on PS2. Classified as 'SF Sky Adventure'.
http://nippon1.jp/consumer/torinohoshi/index2.html
Site fully open on 20th July.

Plot is summarised as follows:
"Many centuries in the future... our story starts with a space shuttle sent to explore uncharted regions in space. A disaster occurs, and a scientist and his 14 year-old son Hugo escapes in the emergency pod. And now they are on the alien planet that is under research, thousands of kilometers away from the research base. Hugo is entrusted with the one-man glider, and starts the long journey to reach the base..."

http://www.gameiroiro.com/2007/07137.htm
*Translation may have mistakes. Corrections welcome*

I like the art. The genre reminds me of Sky Odyssey. If this is half as interesting as what I'm imagining it could be, it'll be awesome.

But I'm used to having my dreams crushed. It'll probably be static backgrounds and text. :(

Munin

Please be a straight RPG for a change. I think the PS2 had its share of tactical stuff. :/ Also, setting sounds cool.

WYWY

Well the official site is fully open. From the screenshots and descriptions of the game system, seems like this will be a so-so game - to me at least. At this point of time I won't think of paying full price for this. Apparently it was already featured in last week's DPS.

In a nutshell, gameplay is a mixture of survival, aerial navigation and... birds. The alien planet is 98% water, and Hugo will rely on observing the birds to figure out where to go. Record and study the cries and sounds of the aerial inhabitants. Playing back certain sounds makes them think Hugo is a companion, helping and allowing him to join them in flight. Learn to recognise when the birds signal signs of danger such as bad weather. Hugo needs to eat too, and has to observe what the birds eat and avoid.

The site has the opening movie... which shows zero gameplay, so not exactly useful.

ethelred

WYWY said:
Well the official site is fully open. From the screenshots and descriptions of the game system, seems like this will be a so-so game - to me at least. At this point of time I won't think of paying full price for this. Apparently it was already featured in last week's DPS.

In a nutshell, gameplay is a mixture of survival, aerial navigation and... birds. The alien planet is 98% water, and Hugo will rely on observing the birds to figure out where to go. Record and study the cries and sounds of the aerial inhabitants. Playing back certain sounds makes them think Hugo is a companion, helping and allowing him to join them in flight. Learn to recognise when the birds signal signs of danger such as bad weather. Hugo needs to eat too, and has to observe what the birds eat and avoid.

That sounds... interesting. I'd like to see something of what it looks like and hear more about how it'll play, but it's definitely an odd enough concept that it should be worth checking out.

Mirimar

http://nippon1.jp/consumer/torinohoshi/special/index.html

Here is the trailer...if you want to see SS, go to System

Ooook....that trailer was very text heavy and I still have no idea what this game is about. The SS make it look similar to pilot-wings

photo04.jpg

photo03.jpg

kassatsu

Banned
Mirimar said:
Ooook....that trailer was very text heavy and I still have no idea what this game is about. The SS make it look similar to pilot-wings
Wasn't really a trailer, the Japanese text on the side said "Opening Movie".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looks kinda interesting. I don`t see anything sci-fi about it, though...

Durante

That movie certainly was interesting. The music and visual design make it appear much less whimsical than N1's usual efforts. I liked it very much, too bad it was over so soon.

Also, N1 making a non-SRPG or even RPG fully 3D game has my interest piqued in and of itself.

ethelred

thetrin said:
Looks kinda interesting. I don`t see anything sci-fi about it, though...

Not even the massive space ship at the beginning that the player ejects from in a space pod?

Just a little?

WYWY

http://www.dengekionline.com/data/news/2007/7/20/7bab3ce21a8407b1cae61324efa9f98f.html

OK, Dengeki has a detailed write-up on site with more screens. We see day-night cycles, weather hazards such as rain, thunderstorms, mists, snow, etc.

Apparently you can switch between 3rd-person and 1st-person views.

And a slight correction - there are two protagonists. Hugo who is trying to reach the research base, and Emily from the rescue team.

At this point, me=no buy unless this is really cheap and/or reviews surprise me.

Durante

Thanks for the link WYWY.

n20070720_torinohoshi_22.jpg

I have no idea how good it looks in motion, but in the screenshot that's a pretty awesome effect.

I ran through the game's site with a translator. Here's the gist of it.

EDIT: Ok, I see that I was beaten by WYWY. :p I'll leave this post anyway.

You play a biologist exploring a planet 3000 light years from earth that's 98% covered by water. Your goal is to fly out from your base and catalog life and evaluate the planet for human life, etc.

You fly a glider from island to island, exploring. You can fly wherever you want. Sometimes islands are thousands of kilometers apart, so it's a good idea to follow birds around. Traveling with the birds is essential to not getting lost (and dead). You can record bird calls and play them back, and that helps get birds to recognize you as one of their own. It seems like you can get information from bird behavior, like predicting weather patterns.

You can name most things in the game, like animals and plants, and especially bird species. You have to gather food for yourself on the islands, and you watch birds to tell what's poisonous and what's edible.

It sounds like the game is about developing a deep relationship with the birds and using what you learn from that relationship to survive as best you can, as you explore. The concept is AWESOME. This is exactly what I was hoping this would be - and more.

NISA, bring this over!

Aaron

jiji said:
The concept is AWESOME. This is exactly what I was hoping this would be - and more.
Yes to the wow. If the result is half as cool as the idea, it'll be an amazing experience. I love games that break outside the norm, and actually pull it off (like Disaster Report).

Ok, here's a few more of the details translated, although I am really tired at the moment:lol .

You play as Hugo, the 14 year old son of a biologist, and sole survivor of a spacecraft crash on a distant planet.

Hugo has crashed on the opposite side of the planet from where the research base is, so the team at the base could not have identified his crash location. He's also without any means of communication, and unable to send a distress signal (imagine that). So, with only your trusty support AI Carl, you set out to find the base...

Looks like the other character on there, Emily, might be playable as well, as it mentions she is a proficient glider user, and will be joining the search for the life pod..

Anyway, I think most of the rest has been covered already...

Looks like a pretty unique concept!

ram

Aaron said:
Yes to the wow. If the result is half as cool as the idea, it'll be an amazing experience. I love games that break outside the norm, and actually pull it off (like Disaster Report).

agree - to bad, that western developers dont come up with such cool ideas.

Jirotrom

Munin said:
Please be a straight RPG for a change. I think the PS2 had its share of tactical stuff. :/ Also, setting sounds cool.
WHAT WHAT WHAAAAT!

This game sounds pretty Rad and I'm a NIS whore so I'll keep it on my radar.

Bump for awesomeness (and because I completely overlooked this thread when it was first posted because I assumed it was just another N1 trademark strategy-RPG).

This is one of the most intriguing game concepts that I've heard in a long time. Does it have a release date?

Durante said:
Also, N1 making a non-SRPG or even RPG fully 3D game has my interest piqued in and of itself.

Pretty much sums up my reaction. I entered this thread morbidly curious to see what srpg rehashN1 would be pumping out this month and was pleasently surprised to find it was anything but.

The concept sounds really neat, thanks for the translations guys.

ethelred

Wow, I'd pretty much forgotten that this game even existed. Thanks for the update on it, jiji.

Ugh, why'd they have to include prinnies? Aside from those, everything's still looking pretty cool, though!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I'm both overjoyed and disappointed that this is as close as I'll ever get to getting an Italo Calvino game. Jesus, The West, wake up.

edit: the hammerhead gulls are a nice touch.

Speevy said:
It's just not an elegantly designed PS2 game.

I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

dionysus

Yaldog
The description makes me wonder how much "gaming" there is in this game. Just seems like you will figure out the birds behavior, and then just cruise along enjoying the scenery.

The official site's been updated, too: http://nippon1.jp/consumer/torinohoshi/

My fantastic-game-that-nobody-will-play-but-I-will sense is tilting, when is released in Japan?
Feburary.

dionysus said:
The description makes me wonder how much "gaming" there is in this game. Just seems like you will figure out the birds behavior, and then just cruise along enjoying the scenery.
I get the feeling that there's an element of survival here. At the beginning of the game, you get separated from a larger exploration party on reentry (like, stuck on the other side of the planet), and part of the game is meeting up with your party as well as exploring.

But, hey, I'd be just fine with the game just being about exploring. There's not enough pure exploration in games.

ethelred

jiji said:
I get the feeling that there's an element of survival here. At the beginning of the game, you get separated from a larger exploration party on reentry (like, stuck on the other side of the planet), and part of the game is meeting up with your party as well as exploring.

But, hey, I'd be just fine with the game just being about exploring. There's not enough pure exploration in games.

Agreed, on both counts.

Baryn

Banned
Ha, in my mind I mixed this game up with the (likely fake) Team ICO flying/exploration game.

I can't be sure, but on my smartphone it looks like it makes heavy use of Mode 7.

Top Bottom