• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NK test fires unidentified ballistic missile

Xando

North Korea fired an unidentified projectile from areas near Pukchang in North Korea, according to a press release by South Korean military's Joint Chiefs of Staff.
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/21/asia/north-korea-fires-unidentified-projectile/index.html

Looks to be a successfull test

South Korea JCS saying North Korea 'fired an unidentified ballistic missile' that flew about 500km (310 miles). SK, US & Japan now analyzing
https://twitter.com/willripleyCNN/status/866219864511229954

Drazgul

Just let them keep testing you guys, I'm sure those NK leaders are sensible people and wouldn't actually use their WMDs if they had the chance.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
We all know North Korea is going to do something drastic eventually, we really shouldn't keep leaving them to their own devices.

If I were them, I really would not be tempting Trump after the week of news he has had.

Don't worry, NK has the Steak and Ketchup ready.

Condom

Just let them keep testing you guys, I'm sure those NK leaders are sensible people and wouldn't actually use their WMDs if they had the chance.
So you think they are irrational and would give up their power to use WMD for what exactly? Personal gratification of seeing a rocket (maybe) hit a city before getting totally gutted themselves by the US/SK?

Can you explain your reasoning here?

Ishan

Dear Kim stop trying to do all this . We have more important things to worry about .
Yours truly

Rest of the world

Ishan

What do you expect the world to do apart from sanctions ? No seriously one good idea you feel is the correct response .

The world ignores it more or less because we don't want a war there and they stupid as they are aren't stupid enough to start a war with Anyone else . If and when they do they'll get blown up into oblivion anyway

There is literally nothing anyone can do about this atm, unless you don't mind seeing Seoul get obliterated that is.

So you think they are irrational and would give up their power to use WMD for what exactly? Personal gratification of seeing a rocket (maybe) hit a city before getting totally gutted themselves by the US/SK?

Woosh

Listen, North Korea, we're kind of dealing with our own shit over here, so can you just chill for a bit? I get you need attention and validation, but right now we are just not in a place where we can be the one to provide that. We need some time to work things out, okay?

Well that's disturbing. That is enough range to hit Japan right? :/

Yes. It's considered medium range. More than enough to hit Japan. But NK has a hard on for the US mainland. My money is on then wanting to hit the US or SK first. Either would mean a retaliatory attack that would turn them into an irradiated parking lot. This doesn't even included how pissed China would be at NK. China will likely pursue ground based war if NK pushes itself anymore and especially if they have a long range intercontinental ballistic missile.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Ehh, what do you think they are testing all these rockets for? It's not a question of 'IF' but 'WHEN' IMO

Ehh, what do you think they are testing all these rockets for? It's not a question of 'IF' but 'WHEN' IMO

I don't understand why people have such a hard time understanding NK's goals. NK is developing these weapons so people cannot attack them. Despite whatever threats NK may shout, they have no intention of actually being an aggressor and attacking another country. Everything they are doing is to protect themselves from getting invaded and allowing the regime to continue.

JordanN

Banned
North Korea = distraction.

They're land locked between China & SK. Soviet Union was a bigger threat, because they could at least move between 2 continents.

If Kim goes to war, he's going to boat his soldiers all the way to Hawaii without being sunk?

That's why they're testing these missiles. They have nothing else to threaten the world with.

M3d10n

I wonder how many launches they can make before they run out of money.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time understanding NK's goals. NK is developing these weapons so people cannot attack them. Despite whatever threats NK may shout, they have no intention of actually being an aggressor and attacking another country. Everything they are doing is to protect themselves from getting invaded and allowing the regime to continue.

Yup, NK simply does not have the resources to engage war outside its territory. Heck, they barely have the resources to sustain a war inside their territory, which would quickly degenerate into a long guerrilla warfare.

Sephzilla

North Korea = distraction.

They're land locked between China & SK. Soviet Union was a bigger threat, because they could at least move between 2 continents.

If Kim goes to war, he's going to boat his soldiers all the way to Hawaii without being sunk?

That's why they're testing these missiles. They have nothing else to threaten the world with.

Does NK have any kind of navy?

Unidentified ballistic missiles?
Unidentified flying objects?
UFOs?
image.php

Pomerlaw

You are probably right, but I could see them blackmailing the world to give them what they want when they have enough nukes...

Kim Jon doesn't sound too sane to me either. A guy who puts people in camps from generation to generation, who torture his own people and kill his adversaries with pack of dogs and missiles should not be trusted.

Sulik2

The world really needs to take care of North Korea before they finish their long distance nuke program. The destruction a war would cause to SK now would be devastating, but it gets a lot worse if they can fire nuke indiscriminately in the area.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Makes me just a little bit nervous since I'm going to Tahiti in 3 weeks...

Is Tahiti a dangerous place to be in some way I'm not aware? I doubt NK could hit Tahiti with a missile if they shot like 1000 of them. I'm pretty sure it's further from NK than mainland USA

SpartanN92

Banned
I'm no expert in GeoPolitics and I have zero military experience so I just have my imagination to rely on but I don't see any good outcomes to any action (that includes lack of action as well.)

Options as I see them:

Sanctions... Basically we are just starving peasants at this point right? Kim already has stashes of luxury items and necessities. Only the NK people are punished by this.

Military... Say we launch a preemptive strike and destroy their main nuclear facilties.This really puts SK in a horrible position here. The North would surely shell the shit out of Seoul. I doubt they would have enough resources to cobble together a nuke if we attack their main facilities but who knows? Delivery would be a problem but they do seem to be able to move missiles with *some* reliability. It's a gamble.
How does China react here? My guess is they are on our side on this one but will commit horrific human rights violations on refugees fleeing into China.
I'd imagine the conventional military structure of the North would devolve into long term guerilla warfare shortly after initial conflict starts but nobody wants a multi year long war. Regardless South Korea and maybe Japan will suffer greatly.

Do Nothing... we just let them keep getting more and more adept at building missiles eventually capable of reaching the US mainland. I seriously doubt the regime is suicidal but still I really really don't care for a world where NK has the ability to deliver nuclear weapons across the pacific. Even if we have the ability to shoot down a missile I really don't like the odds of what basically amounts to shooting a bullet with a bullet.

Assassination... I know we don't really do that thing (we probably do) and I have zero clue how an assassination/coupe would go down. Any guesses from anyone here? Just spitballing here.

Seriously no good can come of this.

I really don't envy the people who are ultimately tasked with making a decision on this one.

Makes me just a little bit nervous since I'm going to Tahiti in 3 weeks...

Is Tahiti a dangerous place to be in some way I'm not aware? I doubt NK could hit Tahiti with a missile if they shot like 1000 of them. I'm pretty sure it's further from NK than mainland USA

I was going to say - Tahiti's probably about as far from North Korea as California is, and why the heck would North Korea be aiming off into the middle of the ocean? You're probably safer in Tahiti than anywhere else. Why in the world would this make you "just a bit nervous" with regards to going to Tahiti?

Good timing on NK's part, Trump is too exhausted to do anything about it for at least a week, and at that point it's bygones.

Top Bottom