• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NLG job posting: unreal + ARM = NX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

I would like to remind everyone that Nintendo America's second business day of the week, for the last two weeks, has yielded a substantial announcement about two pillars of Nintendo's business: Nintendo 3DS (the direct) and mobile (Super Mario Run). Will the streak continue this week, with an announcement regarding the "third pillar," NX, on September 13th? I certainly hope so, especially after that rather disappointing showing from Sony.

Some simplistic odds. An event happening on the same day in a week for 3 weeks in a row.

(1/7)^3 = 1/343 = 0.3% (approximation rounded up.)

Edit: still got the setup wrong.

ckfy63a

Some simplistic odds. An event happening on the same day in a week for 3 weeks in a row.

Edit: Oh wait, that Nintendo direct didn't even get announced on a Tuesday or shown on a Tuesday. Meh never mind the above.

Wait, what? To my knowledge, the September 1st Nintendo 3DS Direct was announced Tuesday, August 30th.

Sony was disappointing yet again with this TGS conference they had. It felt like no publishers were there and no big games were there at all.

I'm starting to think Nintendo has some of these publishers and bigger games lined up for the NX reveal.

Sony was disappointing yet again with this TGS conference they had. It felt like no publishers were there and no big games were there at all.

I'm starting to think Nintendo has some of these publishers and bigger games lined up for the NX reveal.

Capcom, which had freaking nothing for Sony's TGS, should at least have a Meownster Hunter announcement ready for the NX's launch.

I'd also be surprised if KT's collaborations with Nintendo didn't continue with NX. Hyrule Warriors was a while ago, so they might have something ready for the launch window as well.

Lutherian

Capcom, which had freaking nothing for Sony's TGS, should at least have a Meownster Hunter announcement ready for the NX's launch.

I'd also be surprised if KT's collaborations with Nintendo didn't continue with NX. Hyrule Warriors was a while ago, so they might have something ready for the launch window as well.

Isn't KT is rumored to have a project for NX ?

Peterc

RUMOR: Nintendo’s Developer Portal Updated & Gearing Up For An NX Reveal?

NWPlayer123, who has a history of accurate leaks, has mentioned that Nintendo’s developer portal was updated. To be more specific, the update was for the SDK, short for Software Development Kit, related to the NX. That’s not all, because the installer/downloader tool was updated too. Nikki says this is Nintendo gearing up for a “devs/reveal” of the NX. The tweets related to the matter are embedded for you down below, if you want to see for yourself. If these tweets are anything to go by, it’s that it may not be much longer until the NX is revealed.

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/775394809234063360
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/...r-portal-updated-gearing-up-for-an-nx-reveal/

+
Nintendo NX Cartridges Mentioned In New Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Trademark Listing
nintendo_nx_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_cartridges_mention.jpg

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/775412480956784640

I think a reveal is coming soon, I even think it would be this month

Retrobox

The difference between a late September and early October reveal would probably be 10 days tops. So that doesn't exactly matter all that much now that we have waited for quite a long time.

Just make sure it's actually within that timeframe and we're good!

maxcriden

I would like to remind everyone that Nintendo America's second business day of the week, for the last two weeks, has yielded a substantial announcement about two pillars of Nintendo's business: Nintendo 3DS (the direct) and mobile (Super Mario Run). Will the streak continue this week, with an announcement regarding the "third pillar," NX, on September 13th? I certainly hope so, especially after that rather disappointing showing from Sony.

Edit: corrected a mistake.

Wait, what? To my knowledge, the September 1st Nintendo 3DS Direct was announced Tuesday, August 30th.

My mistake, you are right, I just thought it was Wednesday when it was announced.

Wasn't SM Run announced on a Wednesday, though? Not to deflate the idea at all, I'd love an announcement today.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony ended up showing PS Vita-2000 Revision 2. With more mismatching screen bezels...a far cry from the more tasteful original Vita-2000 releases.

Was surprised at the lack of new games at the Sony event really, there weren't many all things considered. Makes me wonder if publishers are all-in on NX, or whether they are investing even more into the mobile space. That new itadaki street should be on NX at least.

You are insane.

ggx2ac

Wasn't SM Run announced on a Wednesday, though? Not to deflate the idea at all, I'd love an announcement today.

3DS direct was announced Tuesday. Super Mario Run was revealed on a Wednesday. So yes, you're right, the odds don't really matter for what I set up because they weren't on the same day of the week.

I didn't really know Nintendo was doing something at this GameStop Expo...now I don't think we'll get the NX reveal announcement today at all. Every week it's something new-3DS Direct, Super Mario Run and now this GameStop Expo with TGS too.

Is there anything next week? Next week might finally be the week where there's nothing. Lol

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
GameStop GME Conference | Jason & Mike & Nintendo (Arena)

t1473778800z4.png

Source: http://meeting.gamestop.com/US_Conf/Conf_agenda.htm

This is, as far as I can tell, not the GameStop Expo event Kevin Pereira talked about. It's for GameStop managers etc. Not expecting any greater NX news from this, but perhaps Nintendo will say something.

I figured it would be better to post this here rather than creating a new thread. This event is private I believe and likely there will be no stream. So we will have to wait for tweets and whatnot.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Rösti;216773668 said:

t1473778800z4.png

This is, as far as I can tell, not the GameStop Expo event Kevin Pereira talked about. It's for GameStop managers etc. Not expecting any greater NX news from this, but perhaps Nintendo will say something.

I figured it would be better to post this here rather than creating a new thread. This event is private I believe and likely there will be no stream. So we will have to wait for tweets and whatnot.

They'll give us a date after the conference. Believe.

Rösti;216773668 said:

t1473778800z4.png

I love your timers, Rosti, but now every time I see one I just think of broken dreams.

J.K. I love the anticipation!

Thraktor

An interesting little tidbit of info appeared today for NX watchers if they were looking close enough (and reading seemingly unrelated articles on Anandtech). Nvidia just announced their new Tesla P40 and P4, which are neural network inferencing focused cards based on the GP102 and GP104 respectively. Ordinarily this wouldn't be of much interest to people interested in gaming hardware (GP104 and GP102 are hardly new news), but if you have a look at the small print on this slide about the P4, you'll see they say "P4 board power at 56W, P4 GPU power at 36W". This means we can now confidently say that GP104 (a 20 SM Pascal part) consumes exactly 36W at 1060MHz. This is interesting for two reasons. Firstly, they're giving us power consumption figures for the GPU itself, whereas we usually only get measurements of the full board, and as you see there can be quite a difference between the two. Secondly, the GP104 is clocked down to 1060MHz here, so this power consumption reading is much closer to the clock speeds you'd be likely to see in NX than any Pascal power draw figures we've got hold of thus far.

Where does that put us in terms of NX power draw? Well, it's a lower power draw at 1060MHz than I would have expected (although my estimated power curve wasn't all that far off). It still wouldn't incline me to believe they'd hit 1GHz in a portable environment (unless they're targeting a 4W+ TDP), but it does make clock speeds around the 700MHz - 800MHz range more believable, even with a jump to 3 SMs (or possibly even 4, at a stretch).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
An interesting little tidbit of info appeared today for NX watchers if they were looking close enough (and reading seemingly unrelated articles on Anandtech). Nvidia just announced their new Tesla P40 and P4, which are neural network inferencing focused cards based on the GP102 and GP104 respectively. Ordinarily this wouldn't be of much interest to people interested in gaming hardware (GP104 and GP102 are hardly new news), but if you have a look at the small print on this slide about the P4, you'll see they say "P4 board power at 56W, P4 GPU power at 36W". This means we can now confidently say that GP104 (a 20 SM Pascal part) consumes exactly 36W at 1060MHz. This is interesting for two reasons. Firstly, they're giving us power consumption figures for the GPU itself, whereas we usually only get measurements of the full board, and as you see there can be quite a difference between the two. Secondly, the GP104 is clocked down to 1060MHz here, so this power consumption reading is much closer to the clock speeds you'd be likely to see in NX than any Pascal power draw figures we've got hold of thus far.

Where does that put us in terms of NX power draw? Well, it's a lower power draw at 1060MHz than I would have expected (although my estimated power curve wasn't all that far off). It still wouldn't incline me to believe they'd hit 1GHz in a portable environment (unless they're targeting a 4W+ TDP), but it does make clock speeds around the 700MHz - 800MHz range more believable, even with a jump to 3 SMs (or possibly even 4, at a stretch).
That's a good catch, and possible the best Pascal TDP reference we currently have.

Thraktor

That's a good catch, and possible the best Pascal TDP reference we currently have.

As far as I'm aware it's the only GPU-only reading we've got for a Pascal chip. I was hoping the Parker presentation might have yielded something, but with the focus on automotive there's not as much of an incentive to advertise (or even target) low TDPs.

Peltz

All of Nintendo's bigger in-house game engines are designed to squeeze every measure of performance out of PowerPC CPUs and AMD GPUs, it's also safe to assume their software engineers have become incredibly proficient with this hardware setup...

For those who know about such things, would it be an easier/faster transition for Nintendo to go with a third party engine like UE4 instead of retrofitting their in-house engines over to the new hardware?

...at least for the first batch of games?

Would doing this be a reasonable way for their devs to gain proficiency on the new hardware in order to better modify their own engines moving forward?

Or do you think this is one of the reasons Nintendo joined the Vulkan working group? In order to help them update their API and engines to a completely new hardware setup?
I honestly wouldn't assume anything. Wii U had a similar architecture to the Wii and GCN yet the transition to HD really threw Nintendo for a loop and resulted in a software drought.

Perhaps a third party engine will help with their transition, but I just don't see Nintendo paying licensing royalties to Epic for the Unreal Engine. Remember, this is a company that is very into re-releasing old games. I doubt they'll want to tie up any upcoming software with unnecessary third party licensing deals.

They are always concerned with the long term implications of their software releases and tend to be very insular with their design philosophies.

maxcriden

September ain't happening, people. Let's just ignore the existence of NX for a few weeks.

I'm still hopeful, but the seeming original plan of E3 reveal --> November release makes me think October is entirely possibly. If October passes with no NX news, well. That would be significantly contrary to my expectations and concerning. But I believe the full NX reveal will occur by then.

I really don't know what Nintendos plan is for this reveal...I wished they would just come out and atleast say which month they're going to reveal it.

I think nothing at all is happening next week. No conferences, no game shows or anything. I've given up on any type of NX news this week.

I still want to believe next week is the week. Fall starts next week, officially. My hope is they announce a NX reveal direct next Tuesday and the direct is on Thursday.

So my buddy who attended the Nintendo keynote at the Gamestop conference did confirm that there was no net new news . . . however . . . they did say that NX news would be coming very soon.

Hype?

Samemind

I really don't know what Nintendos plan is for this reveal...I wished they would just come out and atleast say which month they're going to reveal it.

I think nothing at all is happening next week. No conferences, no game shows or anything. I've given up on any type of NX news this week.

I still want to believe next week is the week. Fall starts next week, officially. My hope is they announce a NX reveal direct next Tuesday and the direct is on Thursday.

EGX
https://www.egx.net/

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So my buddy who attended the Nintendo keynote at the Gamestop conference did confirm that there was no net new news . . . however . . . they did say that NX news would be coming very soon.

Hype?
Well it's something at least. Thanks for the update

I still hope we get the reveal this month

DrWong

Hype?
New thread worth? New forum worth? TV news worth? International Peace Conference worth? Message in a space bottle worth?

I take it but no hype yet, need to see teh games.

Got some updates, here's the play by play from the Gamestop event:

Kevin: "You guys want some NX news?"
*points to Nintendo exec on stage*
Exec (didn't remember name): "Not yet, but very soon"

So take that for what you will.

As far as I'm aware it's the only GPU-only reading we've got for a Pascal chip. I was hoping the Parker presentation might have yielded something, but with the focus on automotive there's not as much of an incentive to advertise (or even target) low TDPs.

Thanks for the update, it's always good to know more about these rumored chips.

Hype?

It's always been soon though...

The Nintendo Soon

Oregano

Got some updates, here's the play by play from the Gamestop event:

Kevin: "You guys want some NX news?"
*points to Nintendo exec on stage*
Exec (didn't remember name): "Not yet, but very soon"

So take that for what you will.

Kevin trolling Gamestop and Nintendo too...

Malus

Hype?

We didn't get our announcement, and we didn't get our announcement of an annoucement, but we did get a vague promise of an announcement of an announcement.

I'll chalk that up as a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom