• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Gears of War demo.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11490/No-Gears-of-War-Demo-Before-Emergence-Day/

"I don't see any way we could do a demo before the game comes out. We've said that before." explained Rein.

"Demos take a long time to create and polish and we can't afford to get derailled like that if we want to have the game in stores by Thanksgiving. Given a choice of the game this year or a demo this year and the game next year I'm sure every one of you would rather have the game this year because you're already planning to buy it. No idea if we'll do a demo or not after the game ships."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm sure every one of you would rather have the game this year because you're already planning to buy it.
Ha ha, they are taking a lesson from the Sony PR department.

Juice

because you're already planning to buy it

But I'm not planning to buy it! I'm planning to play the demo! I've been looking forward to the demo for months!

A million crying faces! :*( :*( :*( :*(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Didn't they have a playable demo at E3 though? How much more work would it really take to stick to retail schedule and polish up the E3 demo for the Marketplace?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
E3 demo is probably not a good representation of the game to let the public play. You saw how much they were struggling just getting the E3 demo ready on that MTV special

Not sure about extra development on it though

dark10x

kaching said:
Didn't they have a playable demo at E3 though? How much more work would it really take to stick to retail schedule and polish up the E3 demo for the Marketplace?
The E3 demo was unpolished and ran at a poor framerate. Not a good thing for public consumption.

Chiggs

Gold Member
sugarhigh4242 said:
Has it been confirmed that Gears of War will come on one DVD?

I've heard it will span several discs, just to destroy any "immersiveness" the game will have.

123rl

No demo = no day one purchase

I won't buy it until I've played it, seen the framerate, and seen how bad the tearing is in the final version.

dark10x

123rl said:
No demo = no day one purchase

I won't buy it until I've played it, seen the framerate, and seen how bad the tearing is in the final version.
If that's the only thing holding you back, you know it wouldn't be hard to try it out somewhere.

Joe

im just not sure how with xbox live on 360 how you can make a development schedule and have it not include time, people, and money for making a demo on xbl.

i figured it was almost a given, especially for this game. ballzen droppen.

newsguy

OK, today was going so well. This tropical depression looks like it won't hit, work is not lame as always, and it's my day before vacation. No Gears demo? **** YOU MARK

Tieno

If they released a demo, people would judge it as if it were the final game and bitch about how unpolished it is, like they do with almost every other demo that's released. The public can't handle games under development.

Demos of AAA games are generally not worthwhile to do, because everyone's going to be buying the game anyway. They're useful for getting people to take a look at a game they wouldn't otherwise.

And they do put a big dent in the development schedule, because you basically have to do an additional, separate finalization process (testing, bug fixing, certification) during development. If anything, it's best to do it *after* you finish the game and transfer all of the associated risk from the real game to the demo.

One of the games I worked on was hurt pretty badly by the decision to do a demo mid-development. It ended up making us cut features from the main game in order to get it out on time, and since the demo did not really reflect the polish and feature set of the final product, it probably did more harm than good.

ChryZ

Sounds more and more like they are going to rush it, Halo is not ready ... so let's get the next best thing out of the door, finished or not ... who cares, more room for micro-paid fun down the road.

C4Lukins

X26 said:
yea don't you just hate how they force you to downlaod and play demos? bastards, really

It does remove that temptation though. This is a game I plan to buy regardless so it is a good thing for me. It is kind of like when certain bands I like a lot release a new album, I try to avoid the first single so I can listen to the album all the way through with zero familiarity. It sucks though for those who are unsure if they are going to buy the game or not.

ChryZ said:
Sounds more and more like they are going to rush it, Halo is not ready ... so let's get the next best thing out of the door, finished or not ... who cares, more room for micro-paid fun down the road.

how do you get rushed?

Chiggs

Gold Member
ChryZ said:

Sounds to me like you're talking out of your ass in order to push an agenda.

Tieno

C4Lukins said:
It does remove that temtation though. This is a game I plan to buy regardless so it is a good thing for me. It is kind of like when certain bands I like a lot release a new album, I try to avoid the first single so I can listen to the album all the way through with zero familiarity. It sucks though for those who are unsure if they are going to buy the game or not.
Yeah, I have the same thing. With Halo 2 they released almost no SP footage and while the waiting was hard, the actual experience once you have it, is better. There's much more 'newness' and excitement.

SonnyBoy said:
Launch window? :lol
yeah, if there is a demo released in the launch window, i'll try it out and see if i want to buy it...

i'm done renting, that's what the marketplace is for...

no demo = no tryout = no sale

sugarhigh4242 said:
Has it been confirmed that Gears of War will come on one DVD?

seriously, how are you not banned. such a sad troll.

sucks that there wont be a demo as it would probably be a huge buzz item for them.

atleast he is straight-shooting though. demos are a neccessary evil and i guess they decided it wasnt exactly neccessary in this case.

GhaleonEB

Open Source said:
Demos of AAA games are generally not worthwhile to do, because everyone's going to be buying the game anyway. They're useful for getting people to take a look at a game they wouldn't otherwise.

And they do put a big dent in the development schedule, because you basically have to do an additional, separate finalization process (testing, bug fixing, certification) during development. If anything, it's best to do it *after* you finish the game and transfer all of the associated risk from the real game to the demo.

One of the games I worked on was hurt pretty badly by the decision to do a demo mid-development. It ended up making us cut features from the main game in order to get it out on time, and since the demo did not really reflect the polish and feature set of the final product, it probably did more harm than good.
This all makes perfect sense. Games like Lost Planet really got a boost from the demo, but the game needed it since it was kind of "off the radar" until it hit. No need to do one for a title like Gears, especially given how big the project is, how critical it is for MS to get it out on time, and how much hype there will be surrounding it.

Tieno

DSN2K said:
so what exactly were people playing at E3 ? why dont they just release that.
Because that was buggy, unpolished and most of all didn't have optimal framerate which would lead to people bitching and generating bad press for the finished product.

Tieno said:
Because that was buggy, unpolished and most of all didn't have optimal framerate which would lead to people bitching and generating bad press for the finished product.

I don't remember reading any remarks about that stuff.

I say if it's good enough for Kojima to play it's good enough for everyone.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Confidence Man said:
I say if it's good enough for Kojima to play it's good enough for everyone.

But you see, Kojima's a developer...not some shrieking idiot fanboy that has no understanding of the development process.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
The E3 demo was unpolished and ran at a poor framerate. Not a good thing for public consumption.
Which is why I mentioned something about polishing it up in my post :p

lilltias

branching code and content and keeping both up to date is an tiring and time-consuming process. better to deliver the game and then focus on a demo. or rather just **** the demo altogether and do more dlc for me to download :D

pr0cs

DSN2K said:
so what exactly were people playing at E3 ? why dont they just release that.

considering how hard games like Saint's Row etc got hammered by using an old demo (e3) releasing an old GoW demo would do nothing but hurt them.

TBH I have a feeling that less and less developers are going to be releasing demos if it ends up costing them months of extra development time to try and polish TWO versions of their game.

Xenon

Fine with me. I'd also like a media lock out until launch as well. Too many titles suffer from over exposure, IMO.

Yeah I know it could be self imposed, but temptation seems to always get the better of me

SonnyBoy

The Faceless Master said:
yeah, if there is a demo released in the launch window, i'll try it out and see if i want to buy it...

i'm done renting, that's what the marketplace is for...

no demo = no tryout = no sale

Wasn't this originally a "launch windows" title?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
pr0cs said:
TBH I have a feeling that less and less developers are going to be releasing demos if it ends up costing them months of extra development time to try and polish TWO versions of their game.
Let's not act like game demos are some new phenomenon just because of the new delivery method via XBL Marketplace. Console devs have been delivering demos on disc all throughout this past gen and PC devs (like Epic) have been doing it even longer than that. This is not like some new idea that just isn't catching on.

robot

sucks theres no demo - but anyone who doesn't have faith this game is gonna rock ass is completely out of thier mind. i dont need a demo to convince me.

The E3 demo was not playable. There is a huge difference between being playable by the public and being demo'd by a developer in front of a crowd on one gameplay path, with one weapon, with one enemy, and one playable character (and no MP.)

You put that controller in anyone else's hands and that game would have crawled to a shit framerate and crashed. Thats why they won't release that specific demo on XBL.

siege

Banned
robot said:
sucks theres no demo - but anyone who doesn't have faith this game is gonna rock ass is completely out of thier mind. i dont need a demo to convince me.

I'd suggest that I didn't understand why everyone thinks the game is going to be so great, but then I'd just be accused of having an agenda against it.

Nice looking visuals, but it's just another generic action game from the footage I've seen.

syllogism

siege said:
I'd suggest that I didn't understand why everyone thinks the game is going to be so great, but then I'd just be accused of having an agenda against it.

Nice looking visuals, but it's just another generic action game from the footage I've seen.

Don't mind Chiggs, he has an agenda of his own

Top Bottom