• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Gears of War demo.

pr0cs

kaching said:
Let's not act like game demos are some new phenomenon just because of the new delivery method via XBL Marketplace. Console devs have been delivering demos on disc all throughout this past gen and PC devs (like Epic) have been doing it even longer than that. This is not like some new idea that just isn't catching on.

yeah but how many people were able to quickly and easily able to obtain said disc? How many of the yearly titles also released demos on those discs? I would venture to say that the demos on those discs were polished, a lot more than a E3 demo repackaged and put on marketplace.

jjasper

Its ok if they don't have the downloadable demo but they sure as hell need to update the kiosks get rid of the crap they have in there and put one of Gears in there this holiday.

The bigger the hype for a game, the more likely that a demo will do more harm than good. I don't think you'll be seeing many demos for purported "blockbuster" games.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
artful_dodger said:
The E3 demo was not playable. There is a huge difference between being playable by the public and being demo'd by a developer in front of a crowd on one gameplay path, with one weapon, with one enemy, and one playable character (and no MP.)

You put that controller in anyone else's hands and that game would have crawled to a shit framerate and crashed. Thats why they won't release that specific demo on XBL.

:lol :lol you're about to be eaten alive by the truth

-Rogue5-

P-U... this game just made my "intentionally buy used" list. I can't stand arrogance like "you're already planning on buying" (yes I realize that is hypocritical following my previous sentence, but it's a necessary evil.)

For a game that's been pimped this much, a demo would only serve to STOP people from buying it (people who would pay for it because of the hype could play it and potentially realize they don't really like it). Either way they should have kept his mouth shut entirely or simply said "we don't have time to make a demo".

DSN2K

robot said:
sucks theres no demo - but anyone who doesn't have faith this game is gonna rock ass is completely out of thier mind. i dont need a demo to convince me.

really ? last great game EPIC put out was 7 years ago...

ToxicAdam

This can mean a few things. If game reviewers aren't allowed to play this game until launch (like PDZ) ... sound the alarms.

Alot of AAA games were made even more popular because of a demo (BF2 comes to mind) ... and some games did great (and were great) without a pre-launch demo (HL2 for one). So who knows?

Personally, I think this game is going to be beautiful and cinematic ... but completely shallow.

-Rogue5- said:
P-U... this game just made my "intentionally buy used" list. I can't stand arrogance like "you're already planning on buying" (yes I realize that is hypocritical following my previous sentence, but it's a necessary evil.)

For a game that's been pimped this much, a demo would only serve to STOP people from buying it (people who would pay for it because of the hype could play it and potentially realize they don't really like it). Either way they should have kept his mouth shut entirely or simply said "we don't have time to make a demo".
Way to take the quote out of context. That is not what he meant at all. Trust me, read it again.

jjasper

My Arms Your Hearse said:
The bigger the hype for a game, the more likely that a demo will do more harm than good. I don't think you'll be seeing many demos for purported "blockbuster" games.

I have seen quite a few in order to sell smaller games, and none of them hurt the game off the top of my head:
FFVII
FFXII
MGS2
Devil May Cry

I also received demos of God of War and MP2 in the mail

jjasper said:
Its ok if they don't have the downloadable demo but they sure as hell need to update the kiosks get rid of the crap they have in there and put one of Gears in there this holiday.
I doubt they will put this in a kiosks, isn't this game supposed to be extremely gory? No demo = rental first for me. I don't see what this game has going for it other than graphics.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
pr0cs said:
yeah but how many people were able to quickly and easily able to obtain said disc? How many of the yearly titles also released demos on those discs?
With distribution channels like OXM and OPM for the console demos (packaging multiple demos per disc), plenty of people were able to access them. Certainly more than are currently able to access demos on the Marketplace.

I would venture to say that the demos on those discs were polished, a lot more than a E3 demo repackaged and put on marketplace.
But many game demos *have* been based on E3 demos over the years.

Top Bottom