• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky - Atlas Rises |OT| Nada, Polo and you no longer fly solo

Oh fuck this is annoying and fucked up i need to travel all the way back to where my first base was and complete the base missions there >.>

Anyway enjoying the game alot so far but i hope those quest bugs get fixed asap it's very annoying. Maybe make it so you can cancel them sort off to be abke to generate a new one in the system or base you are at.

Upgraded my exosuit with more heat and cold resitance and being able to survive longer without life support and the game becomes way more manageable now, i also just get thanium9 and iron out of meteors and astroids and buy plutanium from vendors and collect a bulk on planets.

Playin normal mode first is highly recommended imo you learn the ropes there and use em in survival for the harder and better experience. It gets to the perfect between normal and survival difficulity after you upgrade your stuff a bit and keep track of your resources and money.

Quest cancelling coming in next patch.

Banned
I swear, I've made 15 jumps to different systems and no one is selling Thamium9. I just got the Trophy for 30 jumps, at least... I guess I'll have to farm Th9 manually :/

Go shoot some asteroids. I believe they carry Thamium9 as well as Iron.

Anyone on PC know how to deal with the circular waypoint things that keep getting stuck everywhere on a planet's surface after I've visited a point of interest?

These things:
zYQywH8.jpg

I really, really want these things gone.

Persistent markers is a bug. You can make them look smaller and nicer - http://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/455/?

The ๖ۜBronx;246498570 said:
I disagree completely, I love the shapes they pit against the snow in the night when I'm exploring.

My favourite trees in 100+hrs were on a snow planet, with silver-birch like patterns of red set against silver bark and soft bushy snow-capped leaves branching out at the top. They were the largest trees I've seen yet in the game, up to three times the height of any other and looked stunning.

Just dug up the pics from an old Reddit post:

These are definitely better but still kinda meh on them.

It depends on how the procedural turns out in the end. These type of trees fit much better in this type of environment (which is what reminds me of Skyrim).

20170819212415_1.jpg

These trees definitely work better. One of the better snow environment shots I've seen. Is that from this update?

This may be a case where you're judging the biome based on screenshots, instead of being immersed in the environment. While I got quite sick of seeing the snow biome of Balari V in the pre-launch press previews, it was a different thing to walk around in it. And the snow textures as of 1.3 look much improved.

I'm also surprised you would chose the snow environment as the worst-looking, compared with the constantly-ugly toxic biome with its smudgy textures.

I'd be curious to see what you think of it and the game in general if you ever decide to play it.

Hmm interesting point.

I'm not too down on toxic biomes. I think the textures shine quite often there at least. I'm sure I'd enjoy the game now but I'd rather wait for more updates at this point.

13ruce

Banned
Quest cancelling coming in next patch.

Thanks sounds good, i kinda found a way around it you can cancel the quests if you destroy all base terminals and then only build the supervisor one first.

Bad news tho it resets the quest line. Luckily i only had a few done. It's better than travelling multiple star systems back and rebuild the base there again:p

Also did not know visiting multiple space stations across systems adds em as teleport options in your base. Very handy also just found that out.

Aenima

Ah! Just discovered how to find the graves with the Portal Glyphs.

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rjv8B7uinQ

For the ones that dont want or cant watch the video this is how i done it:

Found an alien traveller on a space station and picked the dialog option that gave her 100 Nanite Clusters. (Very rare spawn) Then she marked the location of a "Unknown Grave" on a planet, and thats was it, after visiting and interacting with the grave, it contained 1 of the portal Glyphs.

I have also found these alien travellers at random buildings on plates too, but they never marked the location of a grave before, so not sure if only the ones that appear on a space station have the dialog options or i just missed something before, but next time i find one one a planet i will know it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Am I just overlooking something obvious or is it impossible to easily find a base building location on a planet?

I found a pretty sweet planet, but I've been flying around like an asshole for the entire evening chasing all green question marks looking for a base building spot.

Do you just randomly have to find them or what?

MaKTaiL

Am I just overlooking something obvious or is it impossible to easily find a base building location on a planet?

I found a pretty sweet planet, but I've been flying around like an asshole for the entire evening chasing all green question marks looking for a base building spot.

Craft a signal booster and choose Habitable Base. Done!

Do you have a controller you can try it with as well? I wonder how it translates to PS4, because L1/R1 toggles between inv, ship, vehicle, freighter right now.

NMS isn't known for having toggles for anything :/

Just tried it on a controller, it's the left and right d-pad.

It's a bit finicky, and this goes for both keyboard and controller, you can only switch between the three Exosuit inventories if the cursor is not over an inventory slot (so basically move the cursor away from the inventory grid). Also, if you select an item, say from a General slot, and then switch to the right, the next in line is the Tech group, which will automatically deselect whatever you selected in the General slot.

So to successfully swap something from the General to the Cargo slot, you select an item from the General slot and then switch to the left (because the d-pad/cursor keys switching loops around), and the opposite if you want to swap an item from the Cargo to the General slot.

Might be somewhat more useful on a controller, but swapping my left hand from the WASD position to the cursor keys is never a fun time so I think I'm just going to use the mouse to select the groups for now.

Ah! Just discovered how to find the graves with the Portal Glyphs.

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rjv8B7uinQ

For the ones that dont want or cant watch the video this is how i done it:

Found an alien traveller on a space station and picked the dialog option that gave her 100 Nanite Clusters. (Very rare spawn) Then she market the location of a "Unknown Grave" on a planet, and thats was it, after visiting and interacting with the grave, it contained 1 of the portal Glyphs.

I have also found these alien travellers at random buildings on plates too, but they never marked the location of a grave before, so not sure if only the ones that appear on a space station have the dialog options or i just missed something before, but next time i find one one a planet i will know it.

This is very useful, thanks! You run into these NPCs a few times during the new story, but after I finished that I haven't run into a single one. Haven't found a single glyph yet, and I've searched a bit through caves (as the Guide suggests), so hopefully I'll run into those NPCs soon.

Regarding all of these RNG things in the game, I'd much rather HG give us tools (even expensive ones) to use to find clues that at least guide us towards a possible outcome, like these NPCs for the portal glyphs, or finding the last few species on a planet, or finding types of ships etc.

Aenima

You can easely find them. Pull your building menu (on PS4 is up on the D-Pad) and place a SIgnal Booster on the grownd anywhere in the planet. Then choose the option "Habitable Base" and it will mark you the location of a base. Each planet have alot base locations, so u can keep repeating this process untill u find a good location in the planet u like. Even the forsaken planets have base locations.

SJRB

Gold Member
Craft a signal booster and choose Habitable Base. Done!

You can easely find them. Pull your building menu (on PS4 is up on the D-Pad) and place a SIgnal Booster on the grownd anywhere in the planet. Then choose the option "Habitable Base" and it will mark you the location of a base. Each planet have alot base locations, so u can keep repeating this process untill u find a good location in the planet u like. Even the forsaken planets have base locations.

...I probably should've asked this like 5 hours ago.

Thanks a million for the quick replies!

The ๖ۜBronx;246501550 said:
Isn't there some mild irony in the fact that your trees are almost like for like the same tree as the secondary tree type in the ones I posted yet mine were 'meh'. There's enough difference to tell them apart but they're not that different lol. I miss that planet, hope I stumble across ones like the birch tree again.

There was more to the shots than just the trees dude... lol. I was referring to the different in the style of trees I posted.

edgefusion

My game is so utterly riddled with major bugs I'm getting quite concerned. Broken quest lines, missing quests, broken NPCs...I really hope Hello Games can fix this stuff or my save is fucked. I can't speak to Nada and Polo and their Anomaly never moves, the Atlas quest has vanished and the station won't let me talk to the Atlas Interface, the Awakenings quest is broken in an infinite loop of 'target not in this system > target is in current system'. Basically everything that isn't 'grind units for a bigger freighter' is busted.

There was more to the shots than just the trees dude... lol. I was referring to the different in the style of trees I posted.

In my post I was specifically referencing the trees so I can see where I got mixed up, didn't have photo mode back then unfortunately so were limited to waiting for the sun and using the jetpack for height. If I find any good ones on my travels going forward I'll post them.

Aenima

This is very useful, thanks! You run into these NPCs a few times during the new story, but after I finished that I haven't run into a single one. Haven't found a single glyph yet, and I've searched a bit through caves (as the Guide suggests), so hopefully I'll run into those NPCs soon.

Regarding all of these RNG things in the game, I'd much rather HG give us tools (even expensive ones) to use to find clues that at least guide us towards a possible outcome, like these NPCs for the portal glyphs, or finding the last few species on a planet, or finding types of ships etc.

After i beated the new quest line i started seeing them more often, not sure if is intentional. I must have found 3 or 4 diferent Travellers already (outside of the story quest) and i dont explore many buildings in the game anymore.

And they said finding glyphs is something that must be earned. So i dont think they will make it more easy than it is now. Im actually very glad a npc can point the location to them, cuz i tought they could only be found by luck. So now im more motivated to gather them all as i know i just have to find alien travellers on Space Stations.

In comparison i only saw 1 of those new S class ships flying around but i was doing a quest so i ignored it, now i cant find any other again. So i already found more alien travellers than the new ships :p

The ๖ۜBronx;246502174 said:
In my post I was specifically referencing the trees so I can see where I got mixed up, didn't have photo mode back then unfortunately so were limited to waiting for the sun and using the jetpack for height. If I find any good ones on my travels going forward I'll post them.

Oh I see.

Yes please do.

E92 M3

Every cave will have Marrow Bulbs, which is the only ingredient in Voltaic Cells. Just go spelunking for a bit and you'll have oodles of cells in no time.

Thanks, I was having issues finding them.

Btw, I met that alien that wanted those stuff, but I was too cheap :(

The Argus

Gonna jump back into this, after leaving my launch CE copy on a shelf for a year now.

Have they improved the animal generation at all? I was pretty bummed out that we never got the massive creatures originally shown during demos.

gpn

After finding potential bases on a planet with constant toxic rain (rotting planet), a scorching hot planet, and a freezing planet, I finally found one on planet with a mild climate. Resources like plutonium and thamium are few and far between, but there are gold mountains here and there and the animals seemed pretty mellow, so I claimed my first base. Then when I was doing some mining at night, the place turned into the Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus paddock and a bunch of these guys came out. I figured I'd keep my distance since they scanned as predators, but, man, they are vicious. They will sprint after me and gang up on me, and I've had to kill several of them so far. Luckily there aren't many sentinals on the planet so they haven't gotten after me for it, or maybe they don't like these guys either. Now when I'm out mining after dark, I have to make sure I'm in an inaccessible spot. I feel like Newt in Aliens.

Should have enough time tomorrow to really start the base stuff and hopefully get to the point where I have an exocraft. Being able to take that buggy around with me on my travels is going to be such a refreshing change of style and pace to how I've explored everything before it. Cannot wait.

Landford

Banned
So I reached the end of the "Purge" quest, and
I ended up refusing to reset Atlas. Now I dont have any more quests whatsoever, just a prompt saying for me to enjoy the galaxy, and that Atlas will be waiting at the next Atlas station.
is there a reliable way to find an atlas station? And how can I find more anomalies with Nada?

After i beated the new quest line i started seeing them more often, not sure if is intentional. I must have found 3 or 4 diferent Travellers already (outside of the story quest) and i dont explore many buildings in the game anymore.

And they said finding glyphs is something that must be earned. So i dont think they will make it more easy than it is now. Im actually very glad a npc can point the location to them, cuz i tought they could only be found by luck. So now im more motivated to gather them all as i know i just have to find alien travellers on Space Stations.

In comparison i only saw 1 of those new S class ships flying around but i was doing a quest so i ignored it, now i cant find any other again. So i already found more alien travellers than the new ships :p

I've also finished the new questline but chose
to stay in the current (Euclid) galaxy
, so don't know if that changes anything.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of finding glyphs should be something that's earned, but sifting through an RNG is pure luck, which is something the player has pretty much no control over, except keep searching in hopes of being lucky this time.

So I'm improving my standing with the Mercenary Guild right now and am close to maxing it out. Been completing dozens of missions and have gotten to the point of unlocking pirate hunting missions that seem pretty dangerous and challenging (just one enemy almost beat the crap out of my ship), but the rewards, even though they often give me blueprints I already have, also give me trading goods I can sell for 1-2 mil. I've been doing these missions on and off for the last couple of days, and I actually feel like I've invested my time well and because the challenges and rewards for those missions have gone up. It's far from perfect, there are some problems with missions and bugs, and as I've said the rewards aren't always useful, but it's a good glance at how this game can actually create systems to make you feel good and rewarded for your efforts.

Those sorts of systems should also be used to find Travelers and glyphs, the ships you might like more, the creatures you need to scan, the actual blueprints and tech that you need and all other potential possibilities at doing stuff and progressing through the game.

But these things like the mission system, opportunities like these give me hope that HG are really giving more thought into revamping all of the systems and giving us tools to make our own way through the galaxy instead of relying purely on RNG.

So I reached the end of the "Purge" quest, and
I ended up refusing to reset Atlas. Now I dont have any more quests whatsoever, just a prompt saying for me to enjoy the galaxy, and that Atlas will be waiting at the next Atlas station.
is there a reliable way to find an atlas station? And how can I find more anomalies with Nada?

I'm at the same situation myself, but I haven't finished the Atlas questline (I haven't visited the last one) so there's also that quest still existing in the quests list. So when you go to the galactic map, you can filter through several waypoint systems, the journey to the center, current quest as well as the atlas path (red lines), which tries to find an Atlas Station in the nearest star system.

Regarding the Purge quest (and this is also a spoiler for what happens if you choose differently),
it feels kinda anticlimactic but the point is that you chose to stay in the Euclid galaxy (which I also did, because I'm thinking most players are, and by reading a bit on reddit, it's probable that the portals can't send you to addresses in other galaxies, so you can't for example potentially meet newcomers if you reset the galaxy for yourself etc.). If you chose to reset Atlas, you are given a choice of the type of galaxy you want to go to (or rather generate into).
So I haven't really looked too much into this, but from what I've read, the Atlas quest
requires you to craft all of those new spheres you got blueprints for (if you've followed that questline) and if you haven't crafted that final item, you might get stuck (don't quote me on this, should research it more).
In other words, even though these two quests seem to kinda intertwine, I don't really think they do, so look up what actually happens if you go through the Atlas questline, but I don't think you need to visit another Atlas Station to do anything with the Purge/New Beginnings quest, except to maybe choose differently this time around.

As far as the anomalies, they seem to work as before, they appear after every few hyperjumps to new (or old) systems. I'm at a point where Polo can't give me anything new because he needs my creatures achievement, and I just can't be bothered to aimlessly search for those last few creatures a bunch of times.

Aenima

I've also finished the new questline but chose
to stay in the current (Euclid) galaxy
, so don't know if that changes anything.

I moved to a new one, maybe thats why i found some pretty quick already.

Im also doing alot of quests, actually was because of jumping from station to station to pick up quests and check on the blueprint vendors that i ended up bumping into the traveller.

Yesterday i left here a question asking how to obtain the blueprint for an ingretiont to craft the holo-door. Well i guess thers no blueprint cuz the reward for one of the quests i completed was that ingredient (it sells for 400k each and i got 5 of them as a quest reward. 2 million is not a bad pay for a quest at all, and the quest was not hard also.

Im really liking what Hello games is doing with the game, still have alot room to improvement, and yes i find alot of annoying bugs here and there too, but overall im having a great time.

One thing i really wished they implemented was the ability to switch weapons (multi-tools) as we already have a weapon rack that we can build on the base but thats just a decoration item that dont have any funcionality. And also the ability to build our own starship piece by piece. I want to be a space mechanic :p The game already put together the ships by pieces, so all they had to do was creating recipes and let as build one or more ships maybe inside a garage for the base or on the frighter.

Minamu

Just tried it on a controller, it's the left and right d-pad.

It's a bit finicky, and this goes for both keyboard and controller, you can only switch between the three Exosuit inventories if the cursor is not over an inventory slot (so basically move the cursor away from the inventory grid). Also, if you select an item, say from a General slot, and then switch to the right, the next in line is the Tech group, which will automatically deselect whatever you selected in the General slot.

So to successfully swap something from the General to the Cargo slot, you select an item from the General slot and then switch to the left (because the d-pad/cursor keys switching loops around), and the opposite if you want to swap an item from the Cargo to the General slot.

Might be somewhat more useful on a controller, but swapping my left hand from the WASD position to the cursor keys is never a fun time so I think I'm just going to use the mouse to select the groups for now.
Cool. Strange about the cursor hovering but I guess you'll get used to it. Too bad about the auto-deselect, I assume you mean that the item is auto-dropped into a slot there? Other than that, it seems to follow the same menu pattern for switching to the ship etc, so at least it's somewhat consistent as a whole.

Aenima

Regarding the Purge quest (and this is also a spoiler for what happens if you choose differently),
it feels kinda anticlimactic but the point is that you chose to stay in the Euclid galaxy (which I also did, because I'm thinking most players are, and by reading a bit on reddit, it's probable that the portals can't send you to addresses in other galaxies, so you can't for example potentially meet newcomers if you reset the galaxy for yourself etc.). If you chose to reset Atlas, you are given a choice of the type of galaxy you want to go to (or rather generate into).
So I haven't really looked too much into this, but from what I've read, the Atlas quest
requires you to craft all of those new spheres you got blueprints for (if you've followed that questline) and if you haven't crafted that final item, you might get stuck (don't quote me on this, should research it more).
In other words, even though these two quests seem to kinda intertwine, I don't really think they do, so look up what actually happens if you go through the Atlas questline, but I don't think you need to visit another Atlas Station to do anything with the Purge/New Beginnings quest, except to maybe choose differently this time around.

Notice that not every player starts in Euclid Galaxy. Euclid was my 3rd galaxy. Im on my 4th now. Also not sure how the portals will work with ppl spread across multiple galaxies, but i think it will be possible, thers a part in the story where
they talk about multiverse and where one of the npcs travel to the same spot as we are but we cant see eachother because his probably in a diferent universe, but he can still comunicate with us in hologram form.
So maybe the players will appear as holograms as the NPCs alien travellers appear just in hologram form too.

I moved to a new one, maybe thats why i found some pretty quick already.

Im also doing alot of quests, actually was because of jumping from station to station to pick up quests and check on the blueprint vendors that i ended up bumping into the traveller.

Yesterday i left here a question asking how to obtain the blueprint for an ingretiont to craft the holo-door. Well i guess thers no blueprint cuz the reward for one of the quests i completed was that ingredient (it sells for 400k each and i got 5 of them as a quest reward. 2 million is not a bad pay for a quest at all, and the quest was not hard also.

Im really liking what Hello games is doing with the game, still have alot room to improvement, and yes i find alot of annoying bugs here and there too, but overall im having a great time.

One thing i really wished they implemented was the ability to switch weapons (multi-tools) as we already have a weapon rack that we can build on the base but thats just a decoration item that dont have any funcionality. And also the ability to build our own starship piece by piece. I want to be a space mechanic :p The game already put together the ships by pieces, so all they had to do was creating recipes and let as build one or more ships maybe inside a garage for the base or on the frighter.

Yeah, there seem to be a bunch more things I haven't even uncovered in the crafted products screen and that obviously have recipes (as in text that says what they're made of), but it's possible that either those recipes don't exist yet (it's happened before in the earlier major updates), are hard to come by in some way or as you've mentioned, for the time being the ingredients are just bought or rewarded in missions.

The item for the holo-door is called Organic Catalyst, here's a screenshot:

Says it's crafted from Thermic Condensate and Enriched Carbon. I don't think I've run into Thermic Condensate so far, but I've gotten Enriched Carbon in missions as well. Another screenshot:

Says it's crafted from Radon and Carbon, both elements in the game, but also haven't found any way of getting a blueprint, if it currently exists.

EDIT:
Notice that not every player starts in Euclid Galaxy. Euclid was my 3rd galaxy. Im on my 4th now. Also not sure how the portals will work with ppl spread across multiple galaxies, but i think it will be possible, thers a part in the story where
they talk about multiverse and where one of the npcs travel to the same spot as we are but we cant see eachother because his probably in a diferent universe, but he can still comunicate with us in hologram form.
So maybe the players will appear as holograms as the
NPCs alien travellers appear just in hologram form too.

Huh, I was pretty sure everybody's starter galaxy was Euclid? Maybe I'm wrong, never even gotten near the center to try and jump to another galaxy. That part of the story does hint at something like that, but I was kinda thinking it was more to make bigger ties to the
glitch orbs we can see right now (other players in the same place, but not really there).
I think there are some discussions on reddit about whether the 16 glyph portal code (which appears to be hex) can even have enough combinations for other galaxies, so it might end up that you can potentially have the same code for completely different planets in completely different galaxies, so that might be an obstacle with having people residing in other galaxies actually meeting via portals, but I haven't really looked into it much.

Aenima

Huh, I was pretty sure everybody's starter galaxy was Euclid? Maybe I'm wrong.

Nop, you are correct, Euclid was infact my 1st galaxy, my 3rd was Calypso. My bad.

But something interesting happened in the end of the new quest line.
It gives us an option to create 1 of 5 galaxys, they are divided by color (red for raging galaxy, green for tranquil galaxy, etc) i picked a blue one and then started in a new galaxy, but the planet was toxic wasteland so i reloaded the save and out of curioisity i picked a diferent color, a green one, and that took me to another diferent galaxy than the previous one, so i guess that completing the quest line will let player choose 1 of 5 galaxyes to call they home and meet up. (in case thers no option to meet across galaxys)
I also noted that i left my base in the Calypso galaxy so when i got to the new one the portal in the space station could not teleport me back to my base anymore. It makes sence to follow the story lore
as doing a galaxy reset would wipe out the previous galaxy to create a new one.

But multiplayer is the least of my priorities for this game, if i end up never meeting anyone ever in the game, im ok with that. But still need to collect those 16 glyphs anyway :D

HowZatOZ

Banned
Anyone running same system as me and care to share graphic settings? R7 1700, 1070 and 16GB DDR4 3000. I've got everything set to what I presume is max bar shadows which are lowest setting, and AA set to FXAA+TAA. FPS is uncapped but it still feels sluggish at times.

Cool. Strange about the cursor hovering but I guess you'll get used to it. Too bad about the auto-deselect, I assume you mean that the item is auto-dropped into a slot there? Other than that, it seems to follow the same menu pattern for switching to the ship etc, so at least it's somewhat consistent as a whole.

No, the item you previously selected (to be transferred) just gets deselected. It's probably because the Tech group doesn't actually have any proper inventory slots (they can only have tech installed in them), and in order to get from General to Cargo, you go through Tech if you swap to the right. :p

Nop, you are correct, Euclid was infact my 1st galaxy, my 3rd was Calypso. My bad.

But something interesting happened in the end of the new quest line.
It gives us an option to create 1 of 5 galaxys, they are divided by color (red for raging galaxy, green for tranquil galaxy, etc) i picked a blue one and then started in a new galaxy, but the planet was toxic wasteland so i reloaded the save and out of curioisity i picked a diferent color, a green one, and that took me to another diferent galaxy than the previous one, so i guess that completing the quest line will let player choose 1 of 5 galaxyes to call they home and meet up. (in case thers no option to meet across galaxys)
I also noted that i left my base in the Calypso galaxy so when i got to the new one the portal in the space station could not teleport me back to my base anymore. It makes sence to follow the story lore
as doing a galaxy reset would wipe out the previous galaxy to create a new one.

But multiplayer is the least of my priorities for this game, if i end up never meeting anyone ever in the game, im ok with that. But still need to collect those 16 glyphs anyway :D

There's some speculation on reddit about what those choices mean. As you said, it makes sense within the story, and I'm hoping that those choices will have an even bigger impact one day as the updates add more and more detail and uniqueness to the galaxies.

So after a week of playing 1.3, I can confidently claim that this has been honed to perfection*. I play on survival, and initially found it easier than the last time I started it. That was probably due to the fact I knew what to expect. I then naturally expected it to carry on getting easier to the point it would be too easy, but it doesn't. Progression is rock solid. Collecting nanites now uses resources. You can now buy mostly anything you need from space stations, which can be expensive for quite a while. Scanning rocks to find secondary elements is a game changer, because you get trace amounts of something that could just save your life or help you build something if you put the work in.

You can now legitimately have little interaction with planets but still progress or just stay on a planet forever. It's a game "full of choices", and that's just me bumming around for a week.

*The moment to moment loop I mean, obviously, because I wouldn't say what I'm about to say if it was all perfect.

But I really want to talk about what's to come.

I'm pretty certain terrain is now locked in. I don't see how they can make it any better (at least this gen). So we are left with things on the planet. That doesn't just extent to animals but NPCs. It seems clear to me that they are basically the same thing. They're a model moving about the landscape. What's the difference between an animal or a Gek? Surely the Gek should be easier, even now? How hard can it be to animate that model on the flat surface of a space station or depot? My point is they've done the planets, now they can do everything that walks around on the planets. Including US. Again, instead of an orb and moving character model...and we know that is coming. What if they are all the same system? Are we seriously going to end up with 15 people from around the world and their models moving about on screen, but not the NPCs? I can't see the logic in that.

Think of the possibilities of that. Right now missions are go kill some animals or interact with a terminal/static NPC. What if the NPC was not static and you had to find them, that's an extra layer of detail to a mission. You can extent that all the way up to a turf war between rival factions.

Cities. People seem to think these are far fetched wishes. When you've got a game like this, which is pushing absurd levels of detail from maths, I hardly think the straight lines of a city are going to be that troubling. Just look at the space stations and freighters. Huge structures. So I see no reason why there can't be huge structures on the ground either. We already have crashed freighters. Failing that, we just need a much better variation of buildings, and interactions within them. It just needs to feel more organic in structure. They did it with the planets and they are by far the hardest to achieve aspect of the game.

Space. For a game set in space there isn't exactly much to do in space. Visit a space station. Visit a freighter. Have a space battle. Space stations are the center of the solar system and a hub, but they don't do much else. And what they do, they do in a strange way. So there's a large docking area for ships, ok. But then you have to run up some stairs (which you don't anyway), through a corridor and to a terminal. Why do we need to even leave our ship? Obviously, if we didn't, there would be no point to the rest of the station, so it's plainly there to justify getting out of your ship. But why not have missions within the station? What if you get out of your ship and speak to an NPC getting out of their ship, and they give you a misson. They could be a trader, farmer, smuggler. They might already be in the station having a drink. They might live there. You could live there. You could have a job there. You might build up a relationship where they become your wingman or even help you deliver goods. If you can have actual people in cooperation with you, then why not NPCs? Also, if we can have bases and freighters, then why not our own space stations? And that brings me onto planetary physics.

I saw some talk about how this couldn't work. Well, it can work if you have an absolute time for everyone. That's what Elite does. But the difference here is that No Man's Sky doesn't work in real time. What's a day? 15 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour? So why does the time it takes for planets to revolve around a sun have to be in real time? "How long would it take to look good?", that's the question. Let's say it takes 12 hours for a planet on the outer ring to do a full circle. That's a long time in game, but would still be effective enough. What if the closest planet took 3 hours? Still quite a long time, but relatively faster. It doesn't have to be the most scientific numbers. The fact that the 1.03 patch notes say, "play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…", suggests it was faster, which always seemed a strange way to put it. This is the only part of the game I feel was a true lie. Criticising devs for using sky boxes, while all the time using sky boxes is a very bad move. Ironically, people seem to like the static planets. But maybe they would like it more if they could travel faster than the pulse drive? Maybe planets could be as close as they are now at different times in their orbits, giving people a tactical choice of waiting for an easier journey.

Travelling between systems without warping. That was a particularly foolish thing to talk about. How was that ever going to be possible? I've always assumed the pulse drive traveled at near the speed of light. If that's the case it would take literal years to travel to another system. Just a light year would obviously take a year, let alone 100 light years. What if there was a special drive that allowed you to travel 730 times the speed of light? Now we have ourselves a Twitch spectacle, where some mad fool/brave idiot, tries to fly a light year over a 12 hour period...I'm stopping now before I go insane with speculation.

As I implied though, I don't think some of that is that speculative. Ever since Pathfinder I've noticed that the animals have gotten worse, not better. I never noticed them just appear in front of me before then. Now it happens every time. I always got the feeling they downgraded them because - like the planet regeneration of Foundation - they had better things planned. Because God knows they are not optimised now, and are often seen just all thrown at you in a small space. I'd rather have two animals on screen with better behaviour than 20 doing nothing. Imagine observing a deer just eating grass or drinking water. Then add a predator. It could be a big cat stalking it's prey or an underwater animal leaping out for the kill. Just to watch how each of those animals would deal with the situation is worth more than anything I've seen so far. This goes for the sentinels too. Clearly they are broken. Defeating any of the two walkers leaves red flashing lights in mid air around their bodies. And the fact that they are spawned is a big turn off. I get that they have to be, but spawning regular sentinels doesn't ruin the illusion, because you see them all the time anyway. So you can have loads of animals running around, but not the occasional walker sentinel?
Perhaps the biggest indication is that they had continued to improve the technique of creating animal sounds, and you don't do that for no reason.

Anyway, animals, NPCs and space...and throw in a building or two...and not forgetting button remapping.

I'm just not enthusiastic about this game :D

qcf x2

just crazy, this maybe the greatest comeback of any game (excluding MMOs)

And this is only 1.3(1)! There is a laundry list of things I wish were in the game but I fear most of them are not realistic until something like NMS 2 releases. Things like volcanism, celestial events (asteroid impacts), dynamic weather instead of just stormy/clear, gas giants, variable gravity that affects life and movement, realistic gravity (resulting in a tidal system and smarter planet positioning), binary star systems (the most common!), hivemind fauna, large orca-type aquatic fauna, deeper oceans, deeper caves, higher mountains, icecaps.

I know it's not supposed to play like a NASA sim, but it's the closest I'll probably ever get to exploring space so I'll continue to dream.

E92 M3

Am I screwed: I have an old Vehicle quest before the Atlas update and now the vehicle guy won't talk to me and I never got the quest to build his terminal from the construction dude.

Aenima

There's some speculation on reddit about what those choices mean. As you said, it makes sense within the story, and I'm hoping that those choices will have an even bigger impact one day as the updates add more and more detail and uniqueness to the galaxies.

Yeah, i can confirm at least in the green type of galaxy.
Mine toke me to the same galaxy he got, and my starter planet was so perfect i made my base here. :D
Also he says he choosed raging galaxy and landed on calypso
, and i can also confirm that Calypso was so far the more agressive galaxy with alot of extreme weather planets. I did the entire storyline on calypso and almost all scenes i was being attacked by sentinels or being massacrad by extreme weather.

Minamu

No, the item you previously selected (to be transferred) just gets deselected. It's probably because the Tech group doesn't actually have any proper inventory slots (they can only have tech installed in them), and in order to get from General to Cargo, you go through Tech if you swap to the right. :p
Oooh, okay, I get it, that makes sense I guess, although a small QoL update to the design could remedy the issue. I'm fine with this, though why they would do this in the first place is weird.

And this is only 1.3(1)! There is a laundry list of things I wish were in the game but I fear most of them are not realistic until something like NMS 2 releases. Things like volcanism, celestial events (asteroid impacts), dynamic weather instead of just stormy/clear, gas giants, variable gravity that affects life and movement, realistic gravity (resulting in a tidal system and smarter planet positioning), binary star systems (the most common!), hivemind fauna, large orca-type aquatic fauna, deeper oceans, deeper caves, higher mountains, icecaps.

I know it's not supposed to play like a NASA sim, but it's the closest I'll probably ever get to exploring space so I'll continue to dream.
Well, there's nothing in the game's foundation that would prevent any of this as far as I know. It's just a question of priorities, time and hiring the right people for the job. From a technical standpoint, we wouldn't need a new code base or hardware for the things you mention, apart from maybe tidal systems.

Top Bottom