• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay (E3 2015, "Playstation debut"/PC simultaneous)

Steel

Banned
Well then this is what should have been shown in the presentation (as best as they could)

This is like showing a World of Warcraft presentation where you talk about raids, guilds, pvp, quest, leveling, exploring new zones.... but you go fishing in orgrimmar and kill a boar.

The main reason why so many people are still confused about NMS is because the presentation was horrible. It's their job to sell us the game. That's literally the whole point of E3

It was a 3 minute presentation.

Wavebossa

It was a 3 minute presentation.

I agree it wasn't alot of time but it still wasn't a very good use of the 3 minutes. I'm not saying NMS is a boring game or it has no point (like some other people in this thread), I"m just saying the presentation didn't do a great job of selling it in my opinion.

Mogwai

My biggest problem with what's been shown of the game is that there's no feeling that anything *matters*. You can explore, and get credits for finding new species, but what the species isn't particularly relevant. You can engage in space battles, but there's no clear identity between sides. You can go where no one else has been, and see nothing important. It's like they spent an incredible amount of effort developing procedural systems that can produce a crazy amount of content, but don't seem to care about making that content compelling.

Maybe I'm wrong and there are gameplay systems that will get you invested, but why have they been so unwilling to actually demonstrate them?
There probably isn't much to showcase. The hype has grown way beyond the scope of the game. I don't understand why people expect a crazy detailed procedurally-generated open world game from the developer that made... well, Joe Danger. Maybe they've hired more people, but the Wikipedia page says 10 employees.

The shooting from yesterday's presemtation was super boring. Even Murray sounded like he cared much. One of the enemies disregarded completely in 1 shot from a pistol. That was a bit lame.

VARIA

All I want is an in game camera/album to take pictures of my discoveries.

Game still looks amazing to me.

The only real question I have is, what is the extent of alien life we can find? Will there be civilizations? There are obviously enemy ships, but do they land on certain planets? Can you follow them back to their planets? Can you interact with them at all besides blasting them?

NPC ships to be precise. Whether they're enemy or friendly depends on your affiliation with them. And affiliation depends on your direct combat interaction with them (attack their fleets during their conflicts, raid a convoy/ship, attack a station or do other illegal activities that provoke the police to attack you). Also apparently helping one side in a conflict gives you better relations so you get perks from them (like a squad/wing of friendly NPC ships) and better trading deals. I don't remember correctly but I seem to recall trading with one faction also improves your standing with them over time, but I'm not sure.

Apart from ships, there will be space stations and trading stations on land, but I imagine the interaction will be purely via menus.

As for ships landing on other planets, yes they do, this was shows in the previous trailers where the players lands on a trading station and several other ships come and go. Whether you'll be able to follow them traveling across the galaxy is another matter, and I'd say that's a "no". You could potentially follow a ship inside a solar system, see doing its thing, but as soon as it jumps out with its hyperdrive, it's gone. I mean, it's easier from a simulation/resources perspective for the developers. Elite: Dangerous has this, but when a ship jumps it leaves a hyperjump trail, so if you have the adequate scanner installed you can find out where his next destination was so you can at least plot a course towards a location he might be at. Who knows, NMS might implement something similar but I doubt it.

As for civilizations in general, they've mentioned factions numerous times, but apart from blasting and trading via menus, I seriously doubt we'll see any other form of interaction. Maybe some story-based events like finding artifacts through a portal (a text appears or a little cutscene showing some bit of info) to liven up the narrative, but that's it.

Who knows, we haven't really seen much of the user interface at all (I'm guessing it's not nearly done yet), maybe we'll at least see portraits of alien species but I'm betting we won't even get that. No direct, Mass Effect-like interaction with other aliens, that's for sure.

dubq

Exploring procedurally generated places again and again and again?
No thanks, had enough of that in Minecraft.

Good for you. A lot of us haven't "had enough of that."

I saw that also. I saw a lot of interviews and videos for this game because I am interested in the game, but this presentation kind of hurt the momentum for me. the presenter seemed out of his element and flustered. The recent concept arts and screenshots still have me hyped for the game though.

Sean clearly isn't used to massive crowds like this. He was just as nervous last year.

Very awkward presentation. It decreased my interest in this game (which wasn't high to begin with). The visuals also look like they took a step back from previous showings.

It just seems that the NMS devs are in over their heads with this game. Biting off more than they could chew. I'm also getting a whiff of a "development hell" scent with this game.

They need to get their marketing and messaging together, or I see this game flopping commercially.

OuterLimits

I'm still looking forward to the game, but my interest is definitely decreasing some. I'm hopeful my doubts are proven wrong.

zakujanai

I feel pretty bad for the people that can't imagine enjoying this. If it's not for you though that's ok . Just stay away from it instead if trying to shit on it and everybody will be happy.

What did you really expect him to do or show in 3 minutes in a game that is constantly generating new stuff?

I am looking forward to killing time on this game. As opposed to jumping on cod or something for 30 minites to an hour here and there, i see myself jumping on this game and exploring. Maybe starting a war maybe just claiming planets and naming stuff after myself.

RedSwirl

*Cough*

Or you're European and old enough to have played the original Elite and it's sequels, and now game on a console.

I didn't play them back then, but played them recently. I'd say they gave me a fairly good idea of what the basic gameplay loop of NMS might be like. The first two games are free now if you're willing to put up with super-complex PC games. A big part of the appeal of NMS is that it's making a very similar kind of gameplay more accessible.

My main point here is, people probably do need to be taken by the hand and guided through the concept of a game like NMS because to most of them it's basically an entirely new genre. If someone shows a trailer for a third person shooter with just as much footage, people can already fill in the blanks as to what the normal gameplay loop is like because they've already seen a hundred games like it before. I imagine most PS4 owners have never seen anything like NMS. The closest thing to it on a console this year will probably be Elite Dangerous -- more or less the same kind of game with more realistic graphics, except you can't land on planets yet (they have an update planned for that).

legacyzero

Banned
This is why Im so frusted with Sony about this show, when it comes to NMS.

You cant simply convey what this game is in 3 minutes. You just cant.

People just wanna see what the game is, and how it flows. If Sony was so adamant in "pushing NMS like our first party AAA", they would have given it a lot more time.

But we do have the rest of the week, so Im hoping we get more news and hands-on inpressions.

purg3

slept with Malkin

People just wanna see what the game is, and how it flows. If Sony was so adamant in "pushing NMS like our first party AAA", they would have given it a lot more time.

But we do have the rest of the week, so Im hoping we get more news and hands-on inpressions.

They would be better off with doing a "Sony Direct" style stream specifically for this game

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
All the hate for this game really has me concerned with this lack of exploration among today's gamers.

I am so pumped for this. I can't wait to explore and discovery new worlds, please please have Morpheus support.

ironcreed

Banned
I feel pretty bad for the people that can't imagine enjoying this. If it's not for you though that's ok . Just stay away from it instead if trying to shit on it and everybody will be happy.

It is pretty disappointing that it's 2015 and all we got was a short demo and not even a hint at a date. People are naturally getting skeptical and their hype is on the wane with so many other great games on the horizon that are actually releasing. But as for me, I am still very much excited for it. Just let down that it probably is not coming until some time next year.

legacyzero

Banned
All the hate for this game really has me concerned with this lack of exploration among today's gamers.

I am so pumped for this. I can't wait to explore and discovery new worlds, please please have Morpheus support.
In an industry where linearity, stream-lining, and instant gratification is currently dominant, I can understand why. When you introduce a foreign concept like this,people have trouble comprehending it, when they cant identify what they're used to. But yet, you know they're intrigued by it.

Gametrailers' livestream of the event nailed this idea down perfectly IMO, when Huber and Bosman couldnt comprehend the scale, or how it was even possible.

RedSwirl

The only thing that I think was badly executed in this presentation was that they most probably used beefed up godmode stats for the player. One shot destroyed a robot on the surface, a couple of shots destroyed a ship etc. They kinda shot themselves in the foot by quickly skipping through combat. These kinds of things can make or break a game for many people. I honestly wouldn't care so much but that's just me.

This game is a great example of how information fragmentation can lead to a lot of confusion.

People shouldn't expect any crafting at all.

They shouldn't expect any multiplayer or social aspects at all. (there's a global group activity, but you can might as well say there's no multiplayer)

The robots, land combat and space combat was there from the very start, nothing was tacked on.

It never was a Noctis-like or Proteus-like walking exploration simulator.

No Man's Sky is DayZ without the multiplayer, set on very dangerous planets. And a lot of people will not like that, and it's fine. It's also fine that it doesn't mean you don't do anything, or that it will be shit. It might very well turn out to be shit, but at this point, knowing all of the info about the game, I can say with confidence that it will at the very least be a mediocre to a decent game.

You scavenge for can openers and food (minerals), fight off zombies (robots, hostile animals) and steal pants from people (upgrade and buy new gear, weapons, ships). And there's also the small thing of the entire space exploration/trading genre in there as well. And, by the bits and piece of information, there's also a decent range of activities and events like finding ancient artifacts, go through portals to dangerous locales and upgrade your gear to survive your trip to the center of the galaxy.

With all of that said, people need to temper their expectations. It's in fact not a massive game. It's 10 people doing a massive technological achievement of piecing all of these elements together for the first time in this way. But still, they're making an indie game that's much closer in scope and resources to something like The Long Dark, Project Zomboid or Rust.

The fact that there are a lot of planets doesn't mean much. They're dungeons. You need to think about them as such. A planet is a relatively small chunk of gameplay. It's always rearranged differently, but it's still a procedural dungeon. It has the upside of looking very nice and colorful, has procedural animals and arranged activities, but it's still a dungeon. And there is nothing wrong with that. Spelunky is a living proof of that. What Spelunky has going for it though is excellent and tight gameplay, regardless of the extremely repetitive nature of the game.

I doubt No Man's Sky will be as addictive as Spelunky, but then again, very few games are.

EDIT:
Oh and also, there will be more gameplay shown during E3:
Wednesday 4.20pm PT: Gamespot E3 Live
Thursday 1pm PT: PlayStation Livestream

This is a pretty good description.

From the way Sean has talked about the game before, i'm not sure he'd want do that since he wants to keep a lot of things secret. Hopefully he does show some more at one of the upcoming events though.

ThisOne

It's got to be coming out this year, right? I feel like we've seen this game at the last 3 E3 conferences. If it doens't release this year, what does Sony have in October/November/December that is exclusive other than the Uncharted Remaster?

jmood88

It is readily available, but what I think the issue is that most of that info needs a bit of analysis and a plenty of reading. It's not a 15 minute YouTube video with a guy explaining most systems while showing direct gameplay. I think Shadow of Mordor had a lot of those videos and people were still confused on how the whole Nemesis system worked.

To be clear, I'm not saying everybody's downright dumb, it's how people are used to consume information these days. Google might be making us stupid, as in the way we search for and consume information changes our cognitive process, how our brain works. It's just not a good environment for showing things in such a limited and fragmented fashion. But I'd say Hello Games kinda haven't handled their, pretty much unexisting, PR very well. I mean I'm fine either way, but I'm feeling there's a rising frustration and drastically deflated hype in a percentage of potential players the more time goes by.
It's not about people not wanting to read, we want to see this stuff in action.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's got to be coming out this year, right? I feel like we've seen this game at the last 3 E3 conferences. If it doens't release this year, what does Sony have in October/November/December that is exclusive other than the Uncharted Remaster?

Persona 5.

amnesiac

Hello Games could do a 10-20 minute Let's Play-style video to explain more, but that would kind of ruin the surprise for everyone so I'm not sure they'd want to do that.

RiverKwai

I will never understand how anyone can claim they haven't seen any gameplay for this game. They've shown so much gameplay. Looks amazing.

Abounder

Banned
I used to be hyped for this but it feels like they haven't shown anything new since the reveal, and it's not exactly an exciting idea to get to the core of the universe so far.

Kenstar

Looks fun outside of the scope, they still haven't fixed it yet from the last trailer.
When do we get full size planets, the one from the trailer is the size of a city

Heading for the planet at 74 speed (we can see the planet slowly getting bigger at this speed), then a few seconds of boost bringing us to ~700 units of speed per second (whatever they may be)
Note the curvature of the surface on the left, we are very high up.
yuOVsIa.png

(notice the rock (1) and beach gulf (2)

A few seconds later...

vEZh9E2.png

Notice the scale of those same landmarks visible from orbit, and that the speed is now a manageable ~100 from our previous ~700.

Here's ALL OF FLORIDA from a similar scale
Florida-from-low-Earth-orbit.JPG

Doesn't line up

Wavebossa

When do we get full size planets, the one from the trailer is the size of a city

Heading for the planet at 74 speed (we can see the planet slowly getting bigger at this speed), then a few seconds of boost bringing us to ~700 units of speed per second (whatever they may be)
Note the curvature of the surface on the left, we are very high up.
yuOVsIa.png

(notice the rock (1) and beach gulf (2)

A few seconds later...

vEZh9E2.png

Notice the scale of those same landmarks visible from orbit, and that the speed is now a manageable ~100 from our previous ~700.

Here's ALL OF FLORIDA from a similar scale
Florida-from-low-Earth-orbit.JPG

Doesn't line up

He never said full sized planets.... he said planet sized planets ;)

but yeah I agree, with the planets being this small it probably wont matter much where you land..

That or you should really notice the curvature of the planet, a la Mario Galaxy

Copenap

This won't be a game for everyone. This won't be a Destiny type open world shooter. This will be just what I want. If you don't get an urge to explore this world after watching the three minute video than you probably should just look somewhere else.

It's not about people not wanting to read, we want to see this stuff in action.

It was mainly aimed at people still saying that they don't know what you do in this game. You can get a pretty nice picture of what you do. Maybe they're just not articulating their concerns properly and actually mean to ask how do you do these things, how well executed is the moment to moment gameplay? That is a valid question, even though we've seen some of it before, it's always been in somewhat controlled environments with probably modified stats so we don't have a clear picture of how that important aspect feels like. The what part I think can be pretty much figured out by analyzing the trailers, reading various posts and having played some space trading sims before. Which people usually don't do that much.

Quite from new polygon article

need minimum of 30 minutes of straight demoing to understand the game confirmed

Thanks for the link, there's some interesting bits in there:

- There's a notoriety meter. When you destroy something or kill something, you increase this "heat meter" so the robot Sentinels start to chase you. Basically GTA police. We knew this but it wasn't specified that it had a visual indicator.

- Your ship has different speed settings. We saw this in the trailer I think. I'm guessing that it depends on the type and quality of your ship's engine, but it potentially means that you could, if you wanted to, enter a planet's atmosphere at a slower pace, making the experience a bit more realistic or immersive, instead of just popping in and out in 5 seconds. This is my speculation of course, and that isn't really a "solution" to the quick travel speeds but maybe some people will like to play that way.

- You shoot colored crystals to gather chemical resources. You then craft them into more valuable chemical resources. These resources have been mentioned before, but the way that you combine them to get better quality chemicals haven't as far as I know. I'm guessing it will be something extremely simple, like valuable chemical Z is made of 15 chemical X and 55 chemical Y, so if you have enough you can craft 1 chemical Z. Still, there is some kind of crafting involved, so that bit in my previous post in this topic isn't completely correct.

- In the preview, they found a box at the bottom of the sea. Inside the box is a loot drop that's used for upgrading your equipment. These boxes are scattered all around the galaxy.

- They showed the inventory system, describing vehicle, weapon and equipment stats, trading goods and the cargo bay for the ship. Better ships have bigger cargo bays etc. It's all been pretty much known but it's the first time I've seen the user interface being directly mentioned like this.

Crom

I agree it wasn't alot of time but it still wasn't a very good use of the 3 minutes. I'm not saying NMS is a boring game or it has no point (like some other people in this thread), I"m just saying the presentation didn't do a great job of selling it in my opinion.

That is what the game is though. It is made by a small team and people have unrealistic expectations. Some people will like it but it exactly what I feared it would be. Anemic on actual gameplay.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I find your confusion over gameplay details amazing, as I was able to work out the basic premise and goal of the game, and its likely contents (which were generally proved to be correct later), form the initial reveal and interviews SM did after VGX - but then I played Elite on a BBC micro in 1985 so I'm very familiar with the concept of a space trading, exploration and combat game and what it entails.

I can only assume you're either trolling or willfully ignoring what's been shown.

I find the lack of any connection between your answer and what I posted in this thread disturbing. Do you copy paste this text no matter what the subject is of what?

Or you don't understand the difference between interview and gameplay video.

Top Bottom