• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (TGAs)

Seanspeed

Banned
Maybe this kind of game is too difficult grasp for the kind of instant gratification society we live in. You can explore an entire universe of different planets, creatures and mysteries. It's basically like a one man Star Trek. If people are not excited by that, it's no wonder NASA lost so much of its funding.
For real.

I do understand that people want actual stuff to do though, making the exploration mean something. And there will be that, they just aren't showing it in the footage.

Calm down folks.

This is a game for people with imagination and intellectual curiosity, who have looked up at the stars and dreamed of going there. For people who despise modern game design and its rigid sets of rules and tasks, collectables and lowest common denominator themes. Whose ideal for gaming was of exploring unknown worlds, being surprised at each turn by something not seen before, recreating a sense of wonder and escape.

It is developed by a talented group of individuals who read science fiction and dreamt of a virtual recreation that would bring some of the possibilities of the unknown, the tantalising thought of something else, to the medium.

I am sure the myriad of meaningless tasks you complete in various existing games will give you the validation you need.... Personally I will dream a little richer thanks to no mans sky.

Awesome post.

Crazy how peoples imagination just died. They need a precise goal or its all 'whatever whats the point lulz, i wanna win xp to show off lulz'

MMaRsu

Banned
You explore. That's what I've understood.

Edit: lol at all the u guys are too dumb to understand it posts.

All the gameplay we have seen involved walking and flying about. Doing nothing other than explore.

Don't act like you're some kind of elite sophisticated gamer who understands the game, while other people are lowly peasants.

If you're interested in the game and seen at least 1 dev interview or read one article about the game you'd know what it was about.

People are like duurrrr what i do in dis game can i shoot them guns?

Key2001

The main way I can see this potentially being an issue is that since everything is procedurally generated, I wonder how they will try and make the planets more interesting to explore. I'd love to see remnants of a lost civilization or interesting things in the world to figure out. I remember them saying that even after you reach the center of the universe the game isn't over. So I wonder what else there might be (aside from finding new planets).

I believe they talk about this is one of the recent videos. I am not sure if I can explain this the best way without watching the video again, but I believe they state something along the lines of certain rules in place to keep planets interesting.

FranXico

Isn't the HUD seen in the gameplay footage enough proof that there is something more going on?

People don't even know enough about the game and are already dismissing it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I believe they talk about this is one of the recent videos. I am not sure if I can explain this the best way without watching the video again, but I believe they state something along the lines of certain rules in place to keep planets interesting.
This is one of those things that we're probably gonna have to play to find out. And it may even be to some people's tastes and not to others in terms of the variety we do get out of a procedural system like this.

-Ryn

Banned
For real.

I do understand that people want actual stuff to do though, making the exploration mean something. And there will be that, they just aren't showing it in the footage.

Calm down folks.
It seems like most people are excited by the idea. It's just that they want there to be more to it than just exploring. Even things like being able to share the experience with other people.

I myself love the concept of just exploring a vast galaxy of crazy cool stuff. I wouldn't mind and would indeed welcome stuff like building things, setting up groups, and creating a ship.

Raist

Banned
You explore. That's what I've understood.

Edit: lol at all the u guys are too dumb to understand it posts.

All the gameplay we have seen involved walking and flying about. Doing nothing other than explore.

Don't act like you're some kind of elite sophisticated gamer who understands the game, while other people are lowly peasants.

OK, so what would you like to do in a game like NMS?

If it's not shown in trailers or teasers then a lot of people just don't care. They care enough to complain but not enough to watch or read a couple inteviews. Or even go to the game's website and read the 'about' page.

-Ryn

Banned
I think I remember something about that yeah.
I'll have to look into it. That sounds interesting though. I wonder if they mean like there's a chance for a planet to create certain ruins and artifacts?

Nokterian

Maybe this kind of game is too difficult grasp for the kind of instant gratification society we live in. You can explore an entire universe of different planets, creatures and mysteries. It's basically like a one man Star Trek. If people are not excited by that, it's no wonder NASA lost so much of its funding.

Good post and yeah in this day and age a lot of the youth not all of them but a lot do not care about space and nasa that is a shame because it is fascinating how everything works from our moon to jupiter for example. Nasa and any other space agency needs to get proper funding because mars is a next destination and i hope it will happen in my lifetime to see it.

looks original can;t wait to play it, as for the pop ins, i expected because every world is created randomly, can't say is random when is pre loaded right?

Key2001

We have seen in past trailers that there is hostile life on planet and hostile enemies in space (probably even on some planets). We know that you can die on the planets and lose the resources you gathered there when you do. We also know you can die in your ship and lose the resources stored on your ship.

So it's completely untrue about there not being any enemies or challenges. It just probably won't be some evil alien race looking to take over every planet that you and thousands of others have to defeat by all killing the same single end game boss. I wouldn't say it is completely without a story either, there is likely a reason your character wants to travel to the center of the galaxy.

StarVigil

This is a game for people with imagination and intellectual curiosity, who have looked up at the stars and dreamed of going there. For people who despise modern game design and its rigid sets of rules and tasks, collectables and lowest common denominator themes. Whose ideal for gaming was of exploring unknown worlds, being surprised at each turn by something not seen before, recreating a sense of wonder and escape.

It is developed by a talented group of individuals who read science fiction and dreamt of a virtual recreation that would bring some of the possibilities of the unknown, the tantalising thought of something else, to the medium.

I am sure the myriad of meaningless tasks you complete in various existing games will give you the validation you need.... Personally I will dream a little richer thanks to no mans sky.
Beautiful post.

RiverKwai

We have seen space combat and a brief shot of shooting a flying robot with a laser.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Still don't know what makes this interesting beyond the procedurally generated stuff. I mean it sounds awesome, and look beautiful, but they have yet to explain what the actual game is.

edit:

Holy shit at all the condescending posts in here.

-Ryn

Banned
Good post and yeah in this day and age a lot of the youth not all of them but a lot do not care about space and nasa that is a shame because it is fascinating how everything works from our moon to jupiter for example. Nasa and any other space agency needs to get proper funding because mars is a next destination and i hope it will happen in my lifetime to see it.
Well they plan to send people to Mars in 2030. They've already succeeded in testing.

Wow. This is really something. Almost arrogant. For intellectual curiosity people read books and scientific articles and watch things like Cosmos. This is a game about generated galaxies and stars and planets and has nothing to do with the real universe out there. There is no "intellectual curiosity" to be satisfied in it, except for the one about procedural generation and how well can be done. The rest, the travel, the space, the planets, the movement, the physics, all it seems to be a lot more arcade than simulation from whatever footage we have seen now.

That's a rather narrow definition of intellectual curiousity. It can also encompass fantasy or simulation, which this game seems to provide. I read tons of books, scientific and other academic articles, etc, and still find this looks to provide a rather unique experience. As for this providing an approximation, that is necessary given the actual scale of the universe. Actually scientific measurements provide approximation and to some degree necessary reductionism... The numbers provided for the size of the universe say something...our brains can't really comprehend the reality.

Mars by 2030? Where are you getting that information from? It seems unlikely at this stage.

Seanspeed

Banned
It seems like most people are excited by the idea. It's just that they want there to be more to it than just exploring. Even things like being able to share the experience with other people.

I myself love the concept of just exploring a vast galaxy of crazy cool stuff. I wouldn't mind and would indeed welcome stuff like building things, setting up groups, and creating a ship.
Well yea, the concept sounds great. And I think that'll make it worth playing to some degree just on its own.

But I do think there needs to be *some* sort of stuff to do, or else it would lose a lot of people's interest fairly quickly. And of course there will be stuff to do, but I do think they are making a mistake of not showing at least some glimpse of that. I can understand why some people are still wondering about it.

Well they plan to send people to Mars in 2030. They've already succeeded in testing.
They haven't succeeded in testing, they are still testing. And will continue to. There's more to it than just launching a rocket.

-Ryn

Banned
That's a rather narrow definition of intellectual curiousity. It can also encompass fantasy or simulation, which this game seems to provide. I read tons of books, scientific and other academic articles, etc, and still find this looks to provide a rather unique experience. As for this providing an approximation, that is necessary given the actual scale of the universe. Actually scientific measurements provide approximation and to some degree necessary reductionism... The numbers provided for the size of the universe say something...our brains can't really comprehend the reality.

Mars by 2030? Where are you getting that information from? It seems unlikely at this stage.
NASA

RiverKwai

Still don't know what makes this interesting beyond the procedurally generated stuff. I mean it sounds awesome, and look beautiful, but they have yet to explain what the actual game is.

edit:

Holy shit at all the condescending posts in here. "

It's frustrating a lot of people who keep seeing the bolded sentiment over and over and over again, That's part of the reason. It's really just not true.

They have explained what the actual game is in quite a bit of detail. They have not explicitly showed a vertical slice of unedited gameplay. That is not the same thing.

Awesome post.

Crazy how peoples imagination just died. They need a precise goal or its all 'whatever whats the point lulz, i wanna win xp to show off lulz'

Beautiful post.

There's nothing awesome or beautiful about making out you're somehow better than others because they choose to be sceptical about the game and the lofty claims the developer makes or prefer something more focused with set goals and a story from their games.

It's quite the opposite from awesome and beautiful.

-Ryn

Banned
Well yea, the concept sounds great. And I think that'll make it worth playing to some degree just on its own.

But I do think there needs to be *some* sort of stuff to do, or else it would lose a lot of people's interest fairly quickly. And of course there will be stuff to do, but I do think they are making a mistake of not showing at least some glimpse of that. I can understand why some people are still wondering about it.

They haven't succeeded in testing, they are still testing. And will continue to. There's more to it than just launching a rocket.
I can certainly understand why people might not be as drawn in by it once the initial wow factor has worn down a bit. I mean I don't think it will ever get boring finding new planets and exploring them. That will always be cool. However there needs to be stuff in between those moments to keep it going. Personal goals that you strive for and the like. Being able to build stuff is the first thing that comes to mind. Though being able to form "clans" with your fellow explorers would arguably be easier and hold a lot of interest as well. It's always cool to share an experience.

--

They've succeeded in landing the ship they intend to use on an asteroid if I recall correctly. Not too sure on the details.

I saw it yesterday and i am glad with that i hope it is going to happen in 2030. I will be almost 50 years old by then.
It's crazy to think that we'll get to see space travel to other worlds. Gets me excited as hell. For now though, we've got stuff like No Man's Sky to fly among the stars with. VR headset optional.

Now where's my damn hover board?

RiverKwai

I found this amusing.. This is an explanation of a different game that kind of reminds me of the current issue people seem to have with NMS:

the player controls a robed figure in a vast desert, traveling towards a mountain in the distance. Other players on the same journey can be discovered, and two players can meet and assist each other, but they cannot communicate via speech or text and cannot see each other's names. The only form of communication between the two is a musical chime. This chime also transforms dull, stiff pieces of cloth found throughout the levels into vibrant red, affecting the game world and allowing the player to progress through the levels. The robed figure wears a trailing scarf, which when charged by approaching floating pieces of cloth, briefly allows the player to float through the air.

But what is it about? Is there going to be a story? Shooting? Sounds boring. Walking sim :p

Nokterian

I'm not comparing the game to Spore, but the hype surrounding it.

Still not the same as Spore in any degree. Read this post and it is what us humans are curiosity drives us to explore and learn new things that's why i am excited for it that's why space,planets have interest since a young age fast forward to today seeing this game it has a lot of things i wanted in a longtime to play it.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yeah, until they actually show some of the stuff they talk about, I'll remain cautious. These trailers have all been the same. Don't blame people when they think there's nothing else to it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I agree that it could provide a unique experience and it could be a good fuel for imagination.

What I disagree is the condescending tone of some posts making it sound like this is just for the few in the knowledge of space. Or the comparison with Interstellar and Cosmos and whatever. It's not about the real space and stars out there. It doesn't seem to comply with basic physics rules (at list the footage seen until now). That was what I was talking about in being more arcade than sim. So I don't get this "it's for intellectuals" and "you don't understand, you're too dumb or young" attitude here.

I agree that this might the perfect game for dreamers. Even the stupidest people can be dreamers, though. Let's see how it turns out.

tmespe

edit:

Holy shit at all the condescending posts in here.
They've explained plenty of the game in interviews. There are so many people coming in to these threads having viewed a trailer that's meant to show the universe and nothing else, going "lulz where is the game". It's becoming tedious at this point.

omonimo

Banned
Damn the first thing I noticed in the first planet it's the tearing. Now I'm scaried. I can survive to 30 fps but tearing it's the last thing I want to notice.

-Ryn

Banned
There's nothing awesome or beautiful about making out you're somehow better than others because they choose to be sceptical about the game and the lofty claims the developer makes or prefer something more focused with set goals and a story from their games.

It's quite the opposite from awesome and beautiful.
Yeah I've gotta say it comes off as a bit arrogant and condescending. I get being excited and yeah this is a whole new kind of experience, but acting like people who don't get it are somehow just not as "creative" or whatever just because they're interested in a more focused experience or just a different experience isn't cool.

Waaaait, they are actually making the whole soundtrack for the game? That's even more awesome then.

The cherry was when Mr. Murray was introducing them as the ones doing the OST, he was in total fanboy mode. It was one of the highlights of the awards show, imo.

Still hugely cautious. Everything they've shown so far had no gameplay, the 30m video they showed had no gameplay and this video, again, shows no gameplay.

If they'd have some gameplay figured out, I'm sure by now they'd have shown it. It makes no sense not to, if just to silence the mass of people who claim that this is not more than a tech demo.

What concerns me is that if there's no gameplay until this point and they developed it with the idea in mind that they'll first build the tech and the worlds and then try to come up with something that'll make it fun... hooooo, boy, they're in for a nasty surprise.

If I'd lead that team, I'd make sure every single person in the team now is fully focused on prototyping what can actually be done within this world. Most often, the 'fun' in a game is defined through how you interact with the world that's there. And if this doesn't have anything yet, you can be sure as shit that it will not ship 2015 - and if it does, the gameplay will probably end up being really goddamn shallow.

Gamezone

Gold Member
What is this game really about? It looks like the only thing you do is traveling around exploring planets.

RiverKwai

Personal goals that you strive for and the like. Being able to build stuff is the first thing that comes to mind. Though being able to form "clans" with your fellow explorers would arguably be easier and hold a lot of interest as well. It's always cool to share an experience.

The personal goals in this game are generally to acquire resources to buy better equipment so that you can travel further to the center of the galaxy. As it's been said, I don't believe there's going to be building, and they've also pretty much ruled out any multiplayer type of stuff, except for Journey/Souls type interactions.

They've explained plenty of the game in interviews. There are so many people coming in to these threads having viewed a trailer that's meant to show the universe and nothing else, going "lulz where is the game". It's becoming tedious at this point.

Yup. Skepticism is fine but ignorance can go do one.

Top Bottom