• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (TGAs)

-Ryn

Banned
And then a minute later, it says that won't be something the game has at launch. :)
"It's not something that's core to the game and we'll deal with it further down the line"

I don't understand how that's in any way a problem?

This just isn't that kind of game designed to appeal to competition, or quest completionists, nor does it need to be. There is no map completion percentage. There is no competitive multiplayer. There is not a narrative story (though apparently may be lore that can be discovered) It's ok that this game is "just" an interesting and amazing adventure about journeying to the center of the galaxy.Or just staying on a planet and shooting dinosaurs. Or whatever you find most enjoyable about it.
lol yeah I was just pointing out that it is something they are doing for the game. It's not something that they don't ever intend to try.

As for the competitive aspect, I only mentioned that as to why games like CoD might be so popular since you used CoD as a comparison.

It's the human element that creates part of the experience. Whether that is actually competing to be the greatest space pirate, explorer, or species logger against people across the galaxy or just going on an adventure through the galaxy with your friends. It's all about creating new experiences. Just being a game primarily about exploration is fine and if NMS turns out to be just that, it can and hopefully will still be an incredible game.

I just think that it could and should be more. There's so much potential. Not just multiplayer but other things like being able to create something on the world you discover. I don't know. My imagination is just kind of running wild with the possibilities and I'd love to see some of it become a reality. As the guy said, if people like the game then they'll keep on working on it. So who knows. Maybe there'll be more to see after all.

Bl@de

The hype comes from the videos and reading/listening to what the devs say we will be able to do.

I don't trust what devs say before relase ... Remember the things they said about Destiny? I want to see it on release day.

The hype around this game is just a little weird. Normally creative games like this get hyped after relase because they actually deliver on gameplay and stuff. Not with E3 Hype Awards.

I don't believe that crap anymore after the last years

Except practically none of that is shown in the trailer. Where was the messaging system? What about the shop with all these ship upgrades? Where does it show the player gathering resources or actually fighting off enemies? What's the timestamp? I saw the admittedly awesome looking environments and flora and fauna, and there was an interplanetary spaceship and a portal that takes you places. I think people get that the game is striving to be more than just a procedurally generated walking sim, but it would be nice if the devs actually SHOWED that too. I'm honestly baffled as well by the fact that this trailer is practically a carbon copy of the last one all "look we have a super duper content generation algorithm and a game that allows you to move around in it" but on a slightly different planet. Even the 30 minute "gameplay" video released with said GI article is like half just interviewing the dev and the other half is, again, more flying around and observing the shiny environments and wildlife and pimping this content generation algorithm they seem so pleased about. Just put out one video, one video showing an unbroken 10 - hell even just 5 minute piece of gameplay showing off some resource gathering, crafting, combat, or any of the other things this wonderful game claims to be able to have you do.

No one is arguing that things have been shown in the trailer. We get that none of the trailers go in depth. People are wondering so much about what you do in the game and he answered it based off the info we've gotten.

Thought it was pretty funny how people asked for 10 pages what you are actually doing in the game with nobody answering it. So what is it? Do you play through a story?

So you missed the posts multiple posts ITT that did answer the question right?

You explore. That's what I've understood

Edit: lol at all the u guys are too dumb to understand it posts.

Yeah most of the posts like that are just from people baffled that we've answered the question multiple times and even had an info thread on it a few days ago, and people still can only deduct "you only explore." It aint rocket science to just read the info that has already been presented.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944662&highlight=

rich7sena

Banned
Every time I see this game it looks better and better. My main concern about this title is variety, and how it will keep me interested. It seems like their procedural algorithm really does make for a nearly infinite number of possibilities. Still, I hope there is a narrative, player created or otherwise, that makes for a cohesive experience, as well.

Come on man that is a joke. I already said one sentence later that it looks great. I love how the game is shaping up to be, this is my dream game right there. Now only if there is something like this but on the sea.

I also wonder that how much interaction we will have with what is going on in planets. For example, can we take a life form from one planet, put it in the spaceship and leave it on another planet which is full of life? Can we change ecosystems? Just thinking about all the possibilities is exciting.

Well to be fair, he didn't have an issue with how you thought it looked. He had an issue with you're lack of research lol. I understand that they haven't really shown any of the stuff in depth in trailers. Posts getting on people for not knowing that stuff maybe be kind of irrational sometimes (yes including mine) but it just gets a bit irritating that we have info threads (like the one a few days ago), people in here explaining what you do besides just exploring, yet we still get a huge wave of people saying "all you do is explore" every time the game is brought up.

I still don't understand this game and the hype behind it.

Every video I've seen so far has just been going around exploring but no actual gameplay mechanics.

Like, what happens when you press buttons on your controller outside of the analog stick?

I just feel like exploring randomly generated worlds is something that'd be fun for an hour or two and then the novelty would wear off and you'd never play it again.

MMaRsu

Banned
Looks pretty impressive but also pretty boring at the same time. Will there be any actual gameplay?

That was actual gameplay

Its like people refuse to google the game or read a damn artivle or watch an interview. If you want to know what the game is all about the information is out there. Stop coming into these threads saying wow I dont understand this game is this a walking sinulator?

Annoys the crap outta me

I still don't understand this game and the hype behind it.

Every video I've seen so far has just been going around exploring but no actual gameplay mechanics.

Like, what happens when you press buttons on your controller outside of the analog stick?

I just feel like exploring randomly generated worlds is something that'd be fun for an hour or two and then the novelty would wear off and you'd never play it again.

This needs to reposted every page since nobody dives in to the search button on gaf or even ask about the details and also not doing there research about it.

And posted in the OP for every No Man's Sky thread

What was it with the strange "pop up" on the planet where the warp is ?

I guess it is voluntary but strange nonetheless.

Yeah it's ugly as heck and hopefully gets sorted out. If you watch the 30 minute BTS video that came out, Sean explains the whole process on how and why it happens. It's actually the world generating around you as you come into view.

Majmun

I'm very intrigued by this game, but I don't get it.

Is this like the planet exploration in the first Mass Effect, but, like, a super deluxe version of that?

EGM1966

I think we need a thread for No Nabs Sky specifically for the posters who don't get the point of the game to tell each other they don't get it without the rest of us getting in the way of the discussion.

Thread could optionally contain a link to GAF search function and possibly Google to assist those who bravely post on GAF without the knowledge how to find additional information to answer their own questions.

Not too sound snarky but really it's becoming irtitating and it's obvious few of those posting are actually making any effort to answer their questions not even looking through this thread for answers.

Feels like thread shitting now and getting in the way of those trying to stay on topic who are actually interested in the game.

Lucky for you there's supposedly supposed to be actual gameplay later today.

I think we need a thread for No Nabs Sky specifically for the posters who don't get the point of the game to tell each other they don't get it without the rest of us getting in the way of the discussion.

Thread could optionally contain a link to GAF search function and possibly Google to assist those who bravely post on GAF without the knowledge how to find additional information to answer their own questions.

Not too sound snarky but really it's becoming irtitating and it's obvious few of those posting are actually making any effort to answer their questions not even looking through this thread for answers.

Feels like thread shitting now and getting in the way of those trying to stay on topic who are actually interested in the game.

I don't know. We've already had 2 info threads on NMS. People just either miss them or chose not to enter them and take anything from it. I don't think making another thread about what you do in the game would help much.
Or maybe it would, idk. Just giving my thoughts.

Endo Punk

This game has been showing the same style of trailers for a year now and you know what? It's boring. Bring up your game, hello games. The hype around this game reminds me of the hype around Spore by Will Wright. Suffice to say lets hope it doesn't end the same way for hello games.

Still not seeing real gameplay there, if this game really is just a space faring "walking simulator"
that's not an insult
they really need to get out in front and fucking say it, cause all the hype is going collapse in on itself when the people who are expecting procedural Star Citizen or some other combat space sim get their hands on it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yeah, look at all that gameplay shown in detail. I like how they implemented the gathering the resources part. I liked the little touches on how not to make it weird with the digging in first person view. And how each resource is gathered in a different way. Also, you can really see the impact of the upgraded parts. I didn't liked the look of the robot fight, though. It's so nice to see that all that they promised is in there as promised, though.

? No one is arguing that they've shown the mechanics in detail. People are wondering what more there is to the game and others' are answering it based off of the info we've gotten.

I'm not even sure why people are so fucking defensive about that game.

Instead of acting like some elitist gamers, maybe some people should accept that "discover" new planets isn't the greatest thing ever for some people and they need other or more gameplay mechanics.
Minecraft without all the gameplay elements would be just an ugly blocky sandbox tool.

MUnited83

For you.
Still not seeing real gameplay there, if this game really is just a space faring "walking simulator"
that's not an insult
they really need to get out in front and fucking say it, cause all the hype is going collapse in on itself when the people who are expecting procedural Star Citizen or some other combat space sim get their hands on it.

I'm not even sure why people are so fucking defensive about that game.

Instead of acting like some elitist gamers, maybe some people should accept that "discover" new planets isn't the greatest thing ever for some people and they need other or more gameplay mechanics.
Minecraft without all the gameplay elements would be just an ugly blocky sandbox tool.

Shit, I think I may start linking people to a tutorial on how to read.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
? No one is arguing that they've shown the mechanics in detail. People are wondering what more there is to the game and others' are answering it based off of the info we've gotten.

The post you quoted said that they are showing just the same type of trailers over and over again. Nothing more.

MUnited83

For you.
Thank you for proving my point.

Might want to, you know, actually click the link and see that there's a lot of your so-called gameplay features? It's extremely tiring seeing people constantly shitting up the thread posting how the game is exploration only without, you know, searching for 5 seconds to know what much of the gameplay consists of. It has nothing to do with elitism and everything with people being lazy.

OneUh8

I still can't believe people still don't understand what this game is at the basic level at least. The devs straight up do not want to tell much about the game. They have flat out said what they want is people going into this game blind, no hand holding, trying to figure everything out in the community. Kind of like Minecraft type experience. There is a ton of info out there especially in the new GI, that explain some of what this game is and what you can do. I do not think a ton will be explicitly told about the game on purpose. Just connect the dots and use your brain to figure out kind of what you could do in the game.

Might want to, you know, actually click the link and see that there's a lot of your so-called gameplay features? It's extremely tiring seeing people constantly shitting up the thread posting how the game is exploration only without, you know, searching for 5 seconds to know what much of the gameplay consists of. It has nothing to do with elitism and everything with people being lazy.

I read the OP of your linked thread several times.

But stuff like

Combat is standard FPS stuff. Every planet has robots (bipedal ones shown, mini at-st's) they want to keep nature untouched.

doesn't sound very interesting at all. At least without seeing all those gameplay mechanics in-game or at least in one PVs without the focus on "how fucking large the world is".

MUnited83

For you.
I read the OP of your linked thread several times.

But stuff like

doesn't sound very interesting at all. At least without seeing all those gameplay mechanics in-game or at least in one PVs without the focus on "how fucking large the world is".

So you read the OP, which details the FPS combat, ship combat, upgrade system, faction system, resource gathering, trading system, yet you just claimed a few posts ago that the game didn't have gameplay features?

Funny how you jumped from that to "doesn't sound interesting at all". Them moving goalposts.

We get that not everyone will find the game appealing, and that's fine, but you literally just implied that you know nothing more about the gameplay mechanics other than "discovering planets"

maybe some people should accept that "discover" new planets isn't the greatest thing ever for some people and they need other or more gameplay mechanics.

And then you claim you read that info thread OP several times and all you could get out of it was that you "discover planets"?

Anyway, it's just kind of annoying that we have info threads that seemed to be looked over by the majority, then we get a wave of comments wondering what the game is like in other NMS topics.

Also, just the FPS tidbit by itself doesn't sound interesting, but I think it's interesting considering the overall package. I don't think people have an issue soley because others' have different tastes though.

murgo

Beautiful, but the pop-in was atrocious and very, very distracting. I hope the final game will not behave like that.

antonz

Looks good and has potential but they need to start showing off the stuff they keep talking about. When trailer after trailer is basically the same thing its going to lead to people questioning the reality of what you get versus whats promised.

That said some of you guys need to chill out you guys are so defensive like it was your gf being called a whore or something.

Loginius

So the only thing to do in this game is to explore "procedural" generated planets and mining them to buy better ships in order to go to more planets with slightly harsher conditions (biped robots). Harsher conditions meaning you shoot things down in a "std fps" style, alone without any interaction besides a one in a million encounter with another pc that you cant talk to.

The goal is to reach the center of the galaxy which might be impossible if you are unlucky and we have no idea what is at the center nor do we know why we want to get there.

Damn I really want to like this game because it looks amazing the scope is mindblowing and I love exploring but if this is all the game has to offer I wont manage to get past a few planets.

The potential is infinite with the tech they have but atm it sounds to me like starbound without crafting and mp in 3D.

@Icyflamez96:
enlighten us, what else is the game about?
Upgrading the ship? mining minerals? thats what we do to get to new planets...

The gameplay is there (judging by the gi article) its the goal and diversity thats missing.

murgo

The game world was loading for a split second. Not actually pop-in.

Your name is Pop, you just popped-in :D

No matter what it is, I find it very distracting. It won't keep me from buying and enjoying the shit out of this game though.

orava

Procedural sound now? Amazing. They keep on polishing that technical gem.

Basically what it means is the same thing how early home computers like c64 did the sound effects. You can do it in modern game engines like unity too. You can easily do something like weather sounds, chirps, explosions etc. Pretty sweet stuff.

In the video games world procedural audio refers to the computational process of generating audio from nothing, or almost nothing.

The goal is to use almost no wav data (pre-recorder audio files), but rather models that generate in real-time the equivalent audio data that would be contained in pre-recorded files.

Procedural audio has many advantages: it saves memory by using code instead of wav data; it is flexible (computation can depend on all game parameters); it can lighten the burden of specific tedious tasks (sounding hundreds of interacting objects or animations) and it brings flexibility to the pipeline (since sound is directly linked to game parameters, changes will modify audio generation accordingly to keep it synced, avoiding the need for sound re-design).

http://www.develop-online.net/tools-and-tech/procedural-audio-with-unity/0117433

So you read the OP, which details the FPS combat, ship combat, upgrade system, faction system, resource gathering, trading system, yet you just claimed a few posts ago that the game didn't have gameplay features?

Funny how you jumped from that to "doesn't sound interesting at all". Them moving goalposts.

What moving goalposts? Are you so offended by the fact that people don't love that game that it prevents you from thinking straight anymore?
The trailers for that game do have focus on the large and seamingless world aspect. For some people is that already enough, but other people want more. And yes, just saying there will be some fps, action or trading mechanics isn't enough because it's all about how well the gameplay mechanics are intregrated, while the PVs aren't even trying to show the entire game.

The game world was loading for a split second. Not actually pop-in.

Pop
(Today, 01:03 PM)

Yeah anyway that is hecka annoying and distracting though. murgo if you're curious on why it happens the way it does, then the 30 minute NMS BTS video should explain it for you. Hopefully the process is bettered before launch.

bgbball31

I said years ago on GameFAQS that 65daysofstatic should make a soundtrack to a video game and was told, "Why would they even want to do that?" Glad to know I'm vindicated. Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

Anyways, I'm still excited for the game but am wary not to get my expectations too high. I still need to watch the Game Informer video, but is there a purpose to going to the planets? Are there objectives to complete on them? Is there a "story" mode with beginning and end, even if you can completely ignore it if you want to?

If those are answered in the Game Informer video, great. If not, those are some of the questions I want even a bit of clarification on.

Also worried about how stable it is going to be.

tahsutify

Well to be fair, he didn't have an issue with how you thought it looked. He had an issue with you're lack of research lol. I understand that they haven't really shown any of the stuff in depth in trailers. Posts getting on people for not knowing that stuff maybe be kind of irrational sometimes (yes including mine) but it just gets a bit irritating that we have info threads (like the one a few days ago), people in here explaining what you do besides just exploring, yet we still get a huge wave of people saying "all you do is explore" every time the game is brought up.

Well I used "look" in the way that how everything in general feels like, not something related to graphics. I did my research. "what do you even do in the game" was a joke aboutthe people who keep asking the same question :). I am sure the guy I quoted was joking too.

If anything I think this is too much info, I like surprises in games and try to go in without knowing much so the experience isn't spoiled beforehand. I like NMS's premise so much that I broke my rule and read and watch everything about it.

Top Bottom