• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

JP_

Banned
Haha! I just recently came across a planet with a bunch of Vortex Cubes, but mine has the red box hovering over it like this:

Such an easy farm, but yes it is really easy to get greedy and get killed by sentinels. Just taking one of these Vortex cubes calls in two floaty sentinels and the mechanical dog, both are easy to take out but its easy to get distracted taking so many of these things as loot.

Weird. I found a vortex cube planet but they were in caves and just a small trapezoid-y metal box. And they didn't trigger sentinels.

Later I found a Graviton Sphere rich planet and it did alert sentinels (3 stars) but I'd just keep moving and kept picking up more Spheres and only came close to dying when there was a radiation storm and I was far from my ship.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So on my journey it says I have survived 0.0 SOLS in extreme conditions. But I've spent hours on planets with extreme conditions, night and day cycles galor. Am I missing something or is this glitched?

Uthred

Came across a cool planet-side "trading post" last night, eight or nine raised landing platforms and seating in the middle. Lots of NPC's landing and taking off, pretty cool. What isnt so cool is that I cant find a single shred of Iridium in the entire shitty system I'm in.

Tovarisc

Weird. I found a vortex cube planet but they were in caves and just a small trapezoid-y metal box. And they didn't trigger sentinels.

Later I found a Graviton Sphere rich planet and it did alert sentinels (3 stars) but I'd just keep moving and kept picking up more Spheres and only came close to dying when there was a radiation storm and I was far from my ship.

Cubes are just basically artifacts where those Graviton Balls are actual raw material that is implied to be running out at galactic scale so sentinels try prevent anyone from gathering it. Basically try ensure that said raw material doesn't go "extinct".

Roussow

Of course. Aside from its power, how else are you going to dig makeshift shelters from the environmental hazards?

I realized a page back that I straight up haven't been doing that. Literal game changer.

Came across a cool planet-side "trading post" last night, eight or nine raised landing platforms and seating in the middle. Lots of NPC's landing and taking off, pretty cool. What isnt so cool is that I cant find a single shred of Iridium in the entire shitty system I'm in.

Larger asteroids are your best bet.

venomenon

So on my journey it says I have survived 0.0 SOLS in extreme conditions. But I've spent hours on planets with extreme conditions, night and day cycles galor. Am I missing something or is this glitched?
It resets whenever you leave the planet. You need to do it in one go.

This might or might not be a bug. Somehow I can hardly imagine they would force players to remain on such a planet for so many real-time hours, considering most of the other achievements are fairly easy.

Cubes are just basically artifacts where those Graviton Balls are actual raw material that is implied to be running out at galactic scale so sentinels try prevent anyone from gathering it. Basically try ensure that said raw material doesn't go "extinct".
But there are planets that exist where those cubes are also protected by the sentinels

Qwark

Anybody else have naming shame? I found a tundra planet and decided to go with the stupidest name I could think of, Ice Age 2: The Meltdown. Instant regret, it's too stupid, and I've never seen the movies so I'm stuck naming everything like Romano Plaza and Queen Latifa.

Atomski

They realy need a better way to move around on planets. Hover bike or something..
I feel like I am missing stuff flying around but I also hate walking to far from my ship.

TimFL

Haha! I just recently came across a planet with a bunch of Vortex Cubes, but mine has the red box hovering over it like this:

Such an easy farm, but yes it is really easy to get greedy and get killed by sentinels. Just taking one of these Vortex cubes calls in two floaty sentinels and the mechanical dog, both are easy to take out but its easy to get distracted taking so many of these things as loot.

I was on a planet that had 30+ Vortex Cubes in every single cave (it had what felt like infinite caves) with the sentinels not giving a single Murray about me picking up said cubes. Made upwards of 7mil and called it a day because it got really tedious (even after upgrading to the max suit slots).
I think I still have 4,7mil left from said cash, focusing on farming ships for ship inventory slots this weekend.

Wok

I found a Rhino Raptor. That can be scary when you are already close to death due the heat storms.

502A5950F37EA619208C5889B8EEBA6609A31C48
B5AF4D92E44DBAB50A804EC95D27569D47F37C4A

On another planet, I found underwater creatures which looked like otters. I thought underwater was void of life.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Okay from all my space fighting... laser systems are pure garbage when you have enough upgrades to the cannons

Upgraded cannons turn ships into space dust instantly

Kinda like the multitool railshot in a way. upgraded boltcaster and it blew away the walker unit away... it also flew into the pit where I landed my ship

neoism

So i decided to check out the unpatched version, and it's really sad how they patched out the "records" tab. You could see how far you walked, how many words learned, how many resources you mined, etc, on each planet.

I hope they'll bring something like that back again.

meh im livid there isnt a play time stats... its really annoying i just need to know that.
Kappa

Liljagare

Spoilers on lenght. (?)

There are Euclid Galaxy Hilbert Dimension Calypso Galaxy Hesperius Dimension Hyades Galaxy Ickjamatew Budullangr Kikolgallr Eltiensleen Eissentam Elkupalos Aptarkaba Kampinggas - wonder whats at the end of the last center !

NeoRausch

Has anyone actually seen a portal like we saw in early trailers? Like a swirling liquid on a monolith that takes you to another planet? I don't think they exist.

got one last Friday... At least I think it's one.. description and all that.

r2qyw.jpg

Can't confirm though, since I didn't use it.

E92 M3

Okay from all my space fighting... laser systems are pure garbage when you have enough upgrades to the cannons

Upgraded cannons turn ships into space dust instantly

Kinda like the multitool railshot in a way. upgraded boltcaster and it blew away the walker unit away... it also flew into the pit where I landed my ship

So tempting to build boltcaster stuff.

Wok

Spoilers on lenght. (?)

There are Euclid Galaxy Hilbert Dimension Calypso Galaxy Hesperius Dimension Hyades Galaxy Ickjamatew Budullangr Kikolgallr Eltiensleen Eissentam Elkupalos Aptarkaba Kampinggas - wonder whats at the end of the last center !

Most likely Ahfahmahmghmamhfg.

Baalzebup

got one last Friday... At least I think it's one.. description and all that.

r2qyw.jpg

Can't confirm though, since I didn't use it.

Nah, that is just a monolith. They don't port you anywhere. They just show you various visions and such, and choosing the actions that the particular race favors gains you approval, words, possibly some other assorted benefits and Atlas word or two.

NeoRausch

Nah, that is just a monolith. They don't port you anywhere. They just show you various visions and such, and choosing the actions that the particular race favors gains you approval, words, possibly some other assorted benefits and Atlas word or two.

That's a monolith, not related to what they're discussing.

DON'T TAKE MY DREAMS AWAY!

at least it's the memories of Pussyman!

mcz117chief

You think? That's basically what I'm hoping for, I wouldn't want a traditional end in a game like this.

I'm not saying there should be a big

"FIN"

or

"AMAZING"

at the end and then it just boots you back to the main menu, but something like Journey's ending or Spore's ending would have been nice, since neither of them actually end the game just give you a short memorable experience and then allow you to play some more.

Oh my god, this planet. I'm going to be rich! RICH, AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! [Notice the gravitino ball marker on my top left, in addition to the cubes!]

The sentinels have gone absolutely apeshit, though. If I die...

tumblr_mihrcyRfjQ1s0qwlko1_500.gif

Planet i'm on has clusters of balls, 4/5 balls clumped together every 15 seconds. Pulling in 600k or so every run. :)

creid

Anybody else have naming shame? I found a tundra planet and decided to go with the stupidest name I could think of, Ice Age 2: The Meltdown. Instant regret, it's too stupid, and I've never seen the movies so I'm stuck naming everything like Romano Plaza and Queen Latifa.
I found a planet with a bunch of Graviton orbs, so I went to name it something similar to 'graviton'. So I start typing "Gr" and then figure I'll back out to check the spelling of "graviton". I hit circle, which submits the name, so now the planet is permanently named "Gr".

pip77

As of last night, I was working on the extreme survival milestones. When I get home from work, I'm gonna leave the extreme planet I'm on and will try to find a Gek planet to do the transmission glitch.

Muzicfreq

Banned

Gravity ball planet I named Gravity Games

They realy need a better way to move around on planets. Hover bike or something..
I feel like I am missing stuff flying around but I also hate walking to far from my ship.
Gotta learn to skate like in Destiny or Tribes. Sprint, press R1 to melee charge, then cancel the melee charge by hitting X to boost. Then control your altitude by periodically boosting. You'll launch yourself forward faster than you can run, and can jump across pretty huge chasms once you upgrade your jetpack.

On another planet, I found underwater creatures which looked like otters. I thought underwater was void of life.

Nah. First ocean planet I found had green, wormy lamprey things; blobby creatures, and a derp shark named Larry. Plenty of life to be found. Really would like to see more huge creatures in the ocean though.

Has anyone actually seen a portal like we saw in early trailers? Like a swirling liquid on a monolith that takes you to another planet? I don't think they exist.

I've seen two screenshots in threads showing those structures that would have those portals, but they were inert and no one has figured out had to activate them, that I've seen.

magawolaz

It resets whenever you leave the planet. You need to do it in one go.

This might or might not be a bug. Somehow I can hardly imagine they would force players to remain on such a planet for so many real-time hours, considering most of the other achievements are fairly easy.
uhh, wait... how many hours is that? Can I save/turn off the PS4?

I'm really happy I didn't follow this game's production. I knew enough about things like Spore and Molyneux's games to ignore promises or sound bites about possibilities. My bro wound up buying the PC version the day it came out so I decided to try it and really love it. It's just a good relaxing game. It goes right along with the adult coloring book trend. Keeping your mind and active but in a simple way. You decide how the game plays more or less.

I'm also quite happy with the variety. I've seen 20+ worlds and still seeing very unique planets. Upgrading and exploring is just plain fun. And just seeing unique landscapes is something that will keep me checking in for a long time. When you consider that most people travel this earth really just to get photo ops, this game does a great job of making that an incentive here. There is so much weirdness going in it that the repetitive elements are there to facilitate it. They are quick exercises to facilitate your creative endeavors.

I'm sitting at work just dreaming about what I'm going to see when I play later at home.

Spyware

uhh, wait... how many hours is that? Can I save/turn off the PS4?
It takes about 8 hours for 32 sols. If it says 0 sols it can't have counted at all because it doesn't reset if you "fail" it. Really annoying. It just stops counting until you have spent that same amount of time again, and then it keeps going from there.
I think a planet needs to have red text on one of the stats you see when you land to count. The voice will also warn you of the extreme conditions. Something like frenzied sentinels or really extreme weather. Just having extreme storms doesn't count for example.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gotta learn to skate like in Destiny or Tribes. Sprint, press R1 to melee charge, then cancel the melee charge by hitting X to boost. Then control your altitude by periodically boosting. You'll launch yourself forward faster than you can run, and can jump across pretty huge chasms once you upgrade your jetpack.
Is anyone else using Bumper Jumper controls with jump/jetpack on L1? (on PC anyway)

It feels pretty sublime. Kinda makes boost dashing feel like the on-foot equivalent of pulse jumping in space.

Also, it tickles me how much more momentum it imparts than Titan catapult thrusters do. Titans stay losing. kappa

Is anyone else using Bumper Jumper controls with jump/jetpack on L1? (on PC anyway)

It feels pretty sublime. Kinda makes boost dashing feel like the on-foot equivalent of pulse jumping in space.

Also, it tickles me how much more momentum it imparts than Titan catapult thrusters do. Titans stay losing. kappa
Wish I could make this bumper jumper on ps4. After a couple years of bumper jumper Titan skating, it's hard to go back to having to press x. Many grenades in the face at the beginning.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone else seen the Sentinel ship that attacks when you've got 5 'stars' in space? Being a space pirate is tough work.

Edit: This one.

nomanssky_201608180157tudb.png

Sentinel ships shoot out from the sides and it's covered in it's own cannons as well. After taking down 15 or so ships before it showed up it shot me down instantly.

F-Pina

Me and 2 friends spent saturday night playing and making our discoveries.
Lot's of laughs when naming the planets and animals and big discussion on the design decisions as well as overall asthetics and gameplay.
Instead of talking or getting some nice pics I just made a quick and dirty "montage".

GbqN1T.jpg

VARIA

Me and 2 friends spent saturday night playing and making our discoveries.
Lot's of laughs when naming the planets and animals and big discussion on the design decisions as well as overall asthetics and gameplay.
Instead of talking or getting some nice pics I just made a quick and dirty "montage".

GbqN1T.jpg

Planet Herpes. lol

You just game me an idea to have an 'STD' star system.

Xbudz

Centre of the galaxy is one option. Have you done the Atlas path?

I've got a nearly maxed out inventory and the ship I want. I spent some time getting Theta level warp drive and jetpack. Gonna focus on the Atlas path and the centre now and try and pick up the homing shots for my bolt caster and propelled grenades on the way. Aiming to get to the centre roughly when they release the base building and freighters update. That's the plan!

I guess I should keep heading to those Atlas stations. I don't have an upgraded Pass yet, and I assume that's how I get one.

Question: Is the universe shared between PS4 and PC?
If my friend names a planet on PS4, will I see the name if I happen to find it on PC?

Tigress

I'm horrible at names. Recently I figured out a naming scheme that would make getting the names kinda fun. Name the system something really generic. Name the planets something that is associated with what the system is named. Then name the areas on the association with the planet name (animals just get named what I want though). I don't know if I'll totally stick to it, especially on planets I don't care too much about. But I do have an Isiscat system (sadly I have to put cat on it so people know I'm not talking about the terrorist group) after my siamese that passed away this year. And a planet called litterbox cause there wasn't much on it and Isiscat's hideout for the nicer planet with peaceful sentintals (the prettiest planet in that system had aggressive sentinals and I had already named it).

So yeah... some one is going to be rolling their eyes if they ever come across that system (especially for the litterbox waypoint names *grin*).

Oh, I also have a system named DonT after Trump *grin*. It was full of hot air and not much else (but at the same time I didn't want to get that many eyerolls from people unamused by political comments so I kinda hid it so it's an inside joke).

Trouble

Banned
Anyone tried the experimental PC build? Impressions?

I'm tempted to give it a shot, but I'm not having any major issues, just the occasional stuttering.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
nomanssky_20160818020bxu1r.png

Think I'll leave the PS4 version for now. I might pick up the PC version and play there sometime but I'm feeling pretty good.

After 60 jumps I'm nowhere near the centre. I was wrong in the last thread when posting to someone asking about Black Holes being the 'proper way to the centre'. The game does make it sound like they are the proper way to the centre but for some reason they really don't help.The only one I took hardly warped me any closer and took out my Warp Drive so I just manually jumped after that. I'd see be 100 or so jumps from the centre if I went back now though.

It really is an incredible game and there's nothing out there like it. I'd still love to go back and keep exploring. I never came close to running out of wondrous things to see. The story in the game is quite fascinating, now I'm done with it a little I can't wait to read about people theories. Although, I do get the impression not many people are really paying attention to what's there.

Should be interesting to see where we go from here but it was one of the best, most unique and memorable games I've ever played so far.

Has anyone else seen the Sentinel ship that attacks when you've got 5 'stars' in space? Being a space pirate is tough work.

I hit 5 stars once, but it was just as I made it to a space station. Those bastards don't let up in space, can't really hide from them unless you're near a station or planetary body.

I saw more of the fighter ships, but no different styles of ships that I can recall.

Top Bottom