• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Rephil

what do you guys reckon: is it worth checking every planet in a system, before traveling to another system? and is it wise to travel to another system with the starter-ship? i really don't like the designs of the ships in my first system? thanks for your advice. im a bit overwhelmed with options here. :)

Trumpets

Has anyone tested if you can (as promised) walk all the way around a planet so you end up back where you started, and how long it would take to do so?

Putosaure

Flora AND Fauna not present? Are you on a barren rock? Love to see a screenshot of that since I haven't been on one completely devoid of life.

So is the scanner picking up red dots moving about ? Or is it pinging faint grey ones?

I've been on one of those. There's not a lot to do to be honest. Rocks everywhere. Nothing to scan. This + the ambient piano music made it one of the most weird ten minutes in the game. I felt bad for the Gek I found in a lonely outpost.

Septimius

what do you guys reckon: is it worth checking every planet in a system, before traveling to another system? and is it wise to travel to another system with the starter-ship? i really don't like the designs of the ships in my first system? thanks for your advice. im a bit overwhelmed with options here. :)

There are eighteen quintillion planets, 18 000 000 000 000 000 000, in the game. You won't ever get anywhere if you're gonna stop at every planet :) you also wanna go to more special system that you can only visit with higher level warp drives, that are more diverse and richer in materials

Tovarisc

imo check every planet quickly at least. I check even boring dead rocks that are radiated wasteland in case there is easy money farm, but if there isn't I just book it. No point wasting time in radiation wasteland with no life of anykind when warp fuel is super easy to make and better planets out there. Only downside in starter ship is inventory space, but if you are fine with that then stick with it.

pj

Banned
This could be random becuase I found my exosuit upgrade on the first solar system at the beginning of the game , In fact I have not jumped to other place becuase animal hunting and language improving

Interesting. I guess then my advice would be to move forward until you find an upgrade-rich planet. Even a handful more slots in suit and ship makes the game a bunch less tedious.

Btw, if you are swapping ships by finding crashed ships a clarifcation I just realized

1. Activate Signals with Bypass chips (All Signals are reusable, not just Gek)
2. Select Transmission and look for Transmission Towers only (Observatory lead you to ruins and Beacons lead you to advance lifeforms)
3. Keep on doing it until you find one or more Transmission Towers.
3. Go to the Transmission Tower and activate the code correctly which will show you the way to a crash ship.

Right, i'm leaving Gruntilda's Lair with one fish left to find and name Bruce. One fish to find on a planet 2/3 water... bollocks. The final planet in my system and everything on it is going to be called "Keith" in retribution!

I was having a lot of fun but the game has been crashing non stop for me recently. Is there an expected stability patch coming out?

I'm trying my luck then.

My journey status isn't trakcing my progress with discovered species. I already cleared four planets and it's stuck on 0.
Are you registering the completion of all species on a planet? (Hold X on the "100% complete" rectangle under the list of fauna) You have to do that for it to count.

IvanJ

Banned
Interesting. I guess then my advice would be to move forward until you find an upgrade-rich planet. Even a handful more slots in suit and ship makes the game a bunch less tedious.
I concur.
My starting planet was OK, served the purpose and nothing tried to kill me. But my 3rd one was awesome. I couldn't walk for a minute without bumping into pods, crashed ships, gold, learned a hundred words, found dozens of NPCs with blueprints. I didn't even step foot in my spaceship.
That planet really helped so much, I was not ready to leave, but I knew I had to (after 3 days of exploring and harvesting).

ukas

Has anyone tested if you can (as promised) walk all the way around a planet so you end up back where you started, and how long it would take to do so?

Considering these are supposed to be earth sized planets and it is supposed to take around 11 years to walk around the earth...

Letep

I've gotten off the first planet. Landed on another. Left that one. Now I'm flying around shooting asteroids.

I want to build something, but what is it? A new ship? A hyper drive?

Btw, if you are swapping ships by finding crashed ships a clarifcation I just realized

1. Activate Signals with Bypass chips (All Signals are reusable, not just Gek)
2. Select Transmission and look for Transmission Towers only (Observatory lead you to ruins and Beacons lead you to advance lifeforms)
3. Keep on doing it until you find one or more Transmission Towers.
3. Go to the Transmission Tower and activate the code correctly which will show you the way to a crash ship.

I did this last night. Took a couple hours but I went from a 16-slot ship to a 23 slot ship, for FREE.

I kept doing the transmission thing and I loaded up my HUD with about 30 crashed ship markers. I'm currently on a barren planet with no plants or animals, which makes it a lot easier to spot those Abandoned Escape Pods too.

Not to mention, every crashed ship site gives you at least 2 blueprints. I even have a couple Hyper Drive upgrades.

So I'm upgrading my Suit and my Ship almost at the same time and I'm stopping at an outposts every so often to sell Emeril, which sells for like 150K a stack.

I'm aiming for a 30-slot ship and a 30-slot suit then I can keep going with the Atlas Path without worrying about the damn inventory filling up too fast.

I guess I'm in the middle with this game. I am actually really enjoying playing it and it is the main talking point between me and my roommate lately (and how relatively different our playstyles make the experience). But I see the whole drama (justified, mind you) and am sort of on the fence of asking for a refund.

I think I'll just avoid the whole media and simply enjoy my time with the game for the time being. No point in spoiling it at this point and I'll give HG the benefit of the doubt (and time) to address the overwhelming negativity. A lot of my opinion will come from how they present themselves in the coming weeks and how they handle future updates.

UCBooties

I did this last night. Took a couple hours but I went from a 16-slot ship to a 23 slot ship, for FREE.

I kept doing the transmission thing and I loaded up my HUD with about 30 crashed ship markers. I'm currently on a barren planet with no plants or animals, which makes it a lot easier to spot those Abandoned Escape Pods too.

Not to mention, every crashed ship site gives you at least 2 blueprints. I even have a couple Hyper Drive upgrades.

So I'm upgrading my Suit and my Ship almost at the same time and I'm stopping at an outposts every so often to sell Emeril, which sells for like 150K a stack.

I'm aiming for a 30-slot ship and a 30-slot suit then I can keep going with the Atlas Path without worrying about the damn inventory filling up too fast.

I didn't know you could get blueprints from a crashed ship. That might be a game changer for me, how do you do it?

Wok

One thing that I love about this game. Here you have a desert planet. Boring, right? Throw some grenades and you have a tunnel.
D1599D2812FA228215F24A20CBAE38B437F5CFD1
A3D0E1329F130A92DE6BE00F53293316DD653633

Chilling. Hiding from the heat inside the tunnel. If you are lucky, you can even find pre-existing tunnels that way. Abuse your scanner. You can abuse collisions to see in which direction to dig your tunnel.

Back to the surface at night time.

Embearded

My Photon Cannon is too powerful. I can take out 5 ships without stopping firing.

Has anybody got Radnox or any other rare element from freighters?

Spyware

Finally!
It's funny that so few people have it that it can't even say 0.1% :D

It bugged out on me not once, but twice! No I didn't leave the planet and I didn't have the bug where you get boosted into space. I can't understand why it stopped counting. Ohwell. It's done, I can move on!

I didn't know you could get blueprints from a crashed ship. That might be a game changer for me, how do you do it?

Every single crashed ship site has a round Orb and a Canister thing right next to the ship.

-The Orb thing gives you an description/story and two answers to pick from, which usually gives you a Blueprint and Reputation Boost. I always pick the answer that sounds less-greedy and wind up getting more out of it.

-The Canister just gives you a Random Blueprint.

Every single crash site I visit has both of them. In fact, I've gotten so many of them, I keep getting ones I already learned. I have tons of recipes now for the ship/suit/tool.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally!

It bugged out on me not once, but twice! No I didn't leave the planet and I didn't have the bug where you get boosted into space. I can't understand why it stopped counting. Ohwell. It's done, I can move on!
insanity, what is that in real time anyway?

Anyone else eagerly awaiting the PS4 patch Sean mentioned? I can hardly stand not playing, but the risk is too great given the crashes. I miss the grind! I'm desperate to get in and get a new ship. That ship guide on the first page of this thread got me pumped to get in there, even though I suspect the Gek glitch will be patched out by the time I start playing again.

Also, gotta admit I was super happy to see that Metal Gear Survive trailer, mostly because I hope the Sean Lied crowd moves their pent-up outrage to a different cause.

muteki

Finally!

So weird some of the other milestones max out so early (2mil, 150 words) but this one @ 32 days is crazy.

What is this glitch?

You can keep using it over and over again to fill up your HUD with crashed ship markers. The question it asks doesn't even change. You can just keep entering the same answer over and over again.

So you can just go from ship to ship, breaking down tech and transferring your stuff to ships with more slots.

I used it 30 times and I spent all last night visiting crash sites for ships with extra slots.

As long as you break down the previous ship's tech to have a constant supply of ZINC to repair your new ships Pulse Drives, you will never run out of resources to repair the new ships.

You ONLY have to repair and charge the Launch Thruster and the Pulse Drive on new ships in order to fly them to the next crashed ship site. Breaking down your older ship's tech gives you all the mats you need to repair the Launch Thruster and the Pulse Drive on the new ships. Occasionally you might have to craft a Carterite Sheet, but they are easy to make and easy to farm the mats for them on any planet.

EDIT - I'm talking about the PC/STEAM version BTW. Not sure if this is working on the PS4 or not.

TyrantII

Considering these are supposed to be earth sized planets and it is supposed to take around 11 years to walk around the earth...

They're not earth sized. You can scan from orbit and land on the opposite side of a Planet from what it finds and it'll tell you you're about 8 hours walking away.

The difficulty is a lack of compass, as you'll find youself inadvertently walking in circles. But you could use your ship and the scanned whatever marker as a line to follow.

Someone mentioned sky boxes and non realistic simulation. I don't think it's right, and that what you see from the surface is real time what's in space.

That said I think the Sun is revolving around the planets and not the way it should be. Which would make sense since systems are self contained.

Alebrije

Fuck , I have been animal hunting since the beginning with out notice you can scan animals on your visor ( green red dots)

Just walked and walked ...until find one , practically took hours to cover just one planet .. the bright side is that got that walking throphy on my first day of gaming
and learned lik 50 words and met 4 dudes

UCBooties

Every single crashed ship site has a round Orb and a Canister thing right next to the ship.

-The Orb thing gives you an description/story and two answers to pick from, which usually gives you a Blueprint and Reputation Boost. I always pick the answer that sounds less-greedy and wind up getting more out of it.

-The Canister just gives you a Random Blueprint.

Every single crash site I visit has both of them. In fact, I've gotten so many of them, I keep getting ones I already learned. I have tons of recipes now for the ship/suit/tool.

Oh ok, I thought you got them from the ship itself somehow. I actually haven't seen too many crashed ships that have the orbs so I think they are rarer than you think.

Barrykins

Neo Member
Oh ok, I thought you got them from the ship itself somehow. I actually haven't seen too many crashed ships that have the orbs so I think they are rarer than you think.

If you select transmission from the beacons, it will lead you to a building that will give you coordinates to a crashed ship.

Do you all use all your slots on your ship for ship upgrades or do you leave some for inventory? Right now I have a 19 slot ship but only a standard hyperdrive. I just found the blueprint on it and I was wondering if I should just load my ship up on upgrades or just find another ship. Also do you need the stock hyperdrive and the upgraded one installed for it to work, or is it one or the other?

Septimius

Oh, great.. I have also encountered the "no save bug". I noticed the game started freezing for moment when I got out of my ship. It's no longer saving.

It's a lot better than grinding for units. All my units are now going towards getting 48 slot slot inventory for my suit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haven't thought of using it on manufacturing plants -- I'm curious to hear why you think it's critical though, I barely see use for it.
You can use it to modify the geometry of the planet. Dig tunnels to hide or recharge your hazard protection, dig through mountains, make your own caves, adjust slopes to be able to stand or climb better, blast your way out of caves you get lost in.

It's a lot better than grinding for units. All my units are now going towards getting 48 slot slot inventory for my suit.

Yea, Suit Inventory Slots are #1 priority above all else in this game.

If you can't carry something with you, it's useless.

I look at my ship inventory as just a bank for future purposes.

Barrykins

Neo Member
You can use it to modify the geometry of the planet. Dig tunnels to hide or recharge your hazard protection, dig through mountains, make your own caves, adjust slopes to be able to stand or climb better, blast your way out of caves you get lost in.

I didn't think the blast radius on them was that big to do all of that. Do you have an upgraded grenade?

Spyware

insanity, what is that in real time anyway?
I think it's 8 hours. So I think I've been on this planet for 12 or 13 hours.
Wow. I really need to leave.

So weird some of the other milestones max out so early (2mil, 150 words) but this one @ 32 days is crazy.
Yeah I don't get why it's such a difference. And definitely not why you need to do this one in one go when all the others just add up over time. I bet they are patching that part out now just to make me feel stupid :D

Top Bottom