• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Spoiler Thread

From what I've seen so far, the sunset/sunrise times are always the same, no matter what planet you're on.

Maybe it's one of the things the day1 patch will fix, who knows.

Maybe not all systems were ready when it went gold. Would be a big disappointment if those features were missing. It's what makes the universe cool.

And they talked about them so much I just don't see how they would miss them.

The Argus

I thought so too but people keep reporting that it's something like 12 minutes and 12 minutes on every planet.

NMS obviously takes place in the GTA 3 universe.

This is kind of a bummer. I was hoping for planets that always seemed to be at night. Are there planets so far from their star that never see daylight?

theWB27

NMS obviously takes place in the GTA 3 universe.

This is kind of a bummer. I was hoping for planets that always seemed to be at night. Are there planets so far from their star that never see daylight?

I don't think I've noticed this. I may be wrong, but I haven't even noticed the sun look different in size based on where the planet is.....?

Are there planets so far from their star that never see daylight?

Maybe some strange exoplanets or planets really far away from their host star. I remember reading that Pluto have some weird rotation that leaves some of the surface on perennial darkness during solstices.

Complete infinite darkness though? Who knows, would certainly be a cool place. Either way, far away planets have very weak light.

V3fKTuN.jpg

That ship looks kinda like a NES Power Glove.

Unicorn

Much like Spore this appears to use "shapeable" parts a la wings, chassis, windows etc. in vehicle editor and animals seem to be similar with known examples of similar horn and tail shapes that vary in dimensions and features.

I wonder if updates will be able to add "parts" to flesh out variation even further. Just in that screen I see a lot of "re-used" or "re-shaped" parts.

I do love that the game has a very specific aesthetic, but I just worry of fatigue in seeing too many ring-winged ships.

SomTervo

OK so I got my copy today. Some cool light spoilers from the first hour or two :

The light choose your own adventure / dungeon crawler narrative style is brilliant. "The thing talks to you with bared teeth" etc. Along with the alien languages being well written an well characterised, it's a winner.

Sentient aliens are awesome. I don't just mean each race - I mean the individuals, who I think are each procedurally styled. There seem to be a lot of dialogue instances and they're well written.

Outposts are usually rammed with schematics, upgrades, aliens, etc. A lot to do - and accessing each one needs a resource "payment", which forces you out into the wind and rain to keep scouring. The only disappointing thing is aliens don't seem to get out their ships when they land. The ship just sits there and they take off soon after. You can still talk to them and stuff - it's still cool.

Left stick-only driving actually works well. I'm pleasantly surprised. Roll left /right are on the bumpers so that's fine. I haven't got in a shootout but I can imagine flying left-stick while hammering X to shoot will work well.

The launch thruster fuel is fucking valuable. Every launch uses up 1/4 of your tank so you can't fly in in-atmo too much, you can't keep repositioning all the time.

Anyway, off to bed - more impressions tomorrow.

Ps space and planets are fucking amazing. My starting system had like 6 planets. Incredible. Possible screens tomorrow.

Might be hard to track 18 quntillion sunrises and sunsets though...

Nothing to "track", really.

You're visiting one planet at a time, and at most one system at a time.

So the simulation only needs that.

Once you're on a planet, it should know its features and relative position to its sun. Are we sure every day/night transitions currently look the same?

melkier33

I'm a bit confused, are upload beacons no longer a thing? I haven't seen a streamer yet use a beacon to upload all discoveries. Only seen them upload one by one. Anyone see an upload beacon yet?

gossi

First thing I'm doing when I get out into space is testing the rotation of planets and the day/night cycle to see if it varies. I'm honestly surprised nobody has done this yet since it's a big part of the immersion.

I got a streamer to try this. The systems are small, planets close together, and they rotate sun quickly. It's like minutes rather than hours for day night. The day night transition is also almost instant, it takes a few seconds for sunset/sunrise.

The physics are also arcade - aside from the flight physics (this ain't Elite) you can shoot away the bottom of rocks, and then tops of rocks just float in mid air as they haven't written any physics code for Gravity. Same with water, it never flows.

But it's an arcade game. And those aren't high prority given the size of the Dev team.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The launch thruster fuel is fucking valuable. Every launch uses up 1/4 of your tank so you can't fly in in-atmo too much, you can't keep repositioning all the time.

Uses up 1/2 of my tank on every launch. Plutonium is incredibly common, though, so I use it pretty freely. Taking off from a pad or a launch beacon at an installation doesn't use up launch thruster fuel, although it won't let you do it if the launch thruster is empty.

Unicorn

I got a streamer to try this. The systems are small, planets close together, and they rotate sun quickly. It's like minutes rather than hours for day night. The day night transition is also almost instant, it takes a few seconds for sunset/sunrise.

The physics are also arcade - aside from the flight physics (this ain't Elite) you can shoot away the bottom of rocks, and then tops of rocks just float in mid air as they haven't written any physics code for Gravity. Same with water, it never flows.

But it's an arcade game. And those aren't high prority given the size of the Dev team.
So water won't fill in a dug out tunnel or cave?

Wait, I thought the starter ships only had two uses out of the launch thruster? Do you have a different ship from the starter?

Betty

Banned
Game is incredible, so much variety, the range of animals and types of worlds are insane.

Wait, I thought the starter ships only had two uses out of the launch thruster? Do you have a different ship from the starter?

My ship is only two thrusts too..

Betty

Banned
Biggest issue with the game so far is stations on planets either appearing floating, sunk in the ground or worst of all, simply not existing.

I need to enter a manufacturing plant to continue the game but the plant is nowhere on near the icon and burrowing into the ground reveals a hollow planet.

vix

Biggest issue with the game so far is stations on planets either appearing floating, sunk in the ground or worst of all, simply not existing.

I need to enter a manufacturing plant to continue the game but the plant is nowhere on near the icon and burrowing into the ground reveals a hollow planet.
Hollow planet? Damn, sounds amazing. Can you post a pic?

Also, sorry about the manufacturing plant, that sucks.

Hupsel

I have a friend that told me that the planets are completely random so thats why they can have so many. He also say some livestreams and said that theres no exploration at all and you just grind metal after metal :(

Betty

Banned
I have a friend that told me that the planets are completely random so thats why they can have so many. He also say some livestreams and said that theres no exploration at all and you just grind metal after metal :(

There is exploration galore, it's all up to the player.

I found a station that was infested with some sort of parasite, got lost in a dazzling cave system for over an hour and explored a savannah with dozens of different types of animals.

Nameless

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/08/03/41-amazing-things-you-might-not-know-about-no-mans-sky/

The universe isn’t random
Everything exists for a reason, and is governed by maths. Maths means every detail is always consistent and makes sense, the result of hundreds of rules we’ve made to make a sci-fi universe we want to explore. And anyway, computers just aren’t very good at random, either.

Planets are defined by their position in space. If they’re close to their sun they’ll tend to be more barren; further away and they’ll tend to be cold. The planets in between tend to be richer with life.

mokeyjoe

Watching BT's stream. I know there aren't supposed to be different biomes, but it sure looks like there are different sorts of areas on planets, even unofficially. Different surfaces, topographies, flora and fauna.

OK so I got my copy today. Some cool light spoilers from the first hour or two :

As someone that has been following NMS since its reveal back in December 2013, and seeing your posts in the NMS threads for a bit, I'm super stoked that you're getting a proper crack at everything.

I'm going to go back and drink wine and watch Interstellar now.

Does water have physics? Are oceans actually deep or not? Are there caves where u can dive deep and find exotic/creatures that seem like cave dwellers?

How DEEP can u go in areas?

Any huge/thick forests? I see a lot of open fields in this game

As someone that has been following NMS since its reveal back in December 2013, and seeing your posts in the NMS threads for a bit, I'm super stoked that you're getting a proper crack at everything.

I'm going to go back and drink wine and watch Interstellar now.

Good movie choice to keep hype for this game!

I myself am going to watch Event Horizon and then binge on some Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Does water have physics? Are oceans actually deep or not? Are there caves where u can dive deep and find exotic/creatures that seem like cave dwellers?

All good questions, but I think we all need to temper our expectations just a bit about features. Things like that can be patched in the near future :)

Betty

Banned

Water doesn't seem to have physics.

Some oceans are deep.

There are underwater caves but haven't seen any caves that lead underwater that lead to dry caverns.

There are sometimes exotic creatures in caves in general though.

Hard to say how deep into a planet you can go but generally it can be anywhere between a few dozen meters to hundreds of meters depending on the terrain.

And yes there are planets with forests but they seem to be very rare. I've only found one after dozens of planets and it was the one I started on.

13912566_1828385977391570_4762396636282514046_n.jpg

13880302_1828386037391564_3155411115505191084_n.jpg

neoism

I've watched several streams for hours and some of these animals still manage to surprise/disgust me.

CpOf-akWcAAB7j3.jpg

lol soo sharp my gard all these streams have fucking terrible quality... the bt stream.me just looks soo bad in the app...
game looks soo good otherwise.. shame no one is streaming without it looking shitty through encoders

This is the question to end all questions tbh. I haven't seen any sort of big forests in this game -- just large, different colored savannas and prairies.

Something, that I fear will ruin not only the immersion but also the enjoyment of the game. Imagine landing on a planet with not enough resources to leave it and you had to go to this planet because it was the closest to you, given your fuel, etc.

...aaand it's the most boring, barren, nothing of a planet and you're stuck there for hours, simply gathering the supplies needed to leave it. I'm a huge fan of DUNE and Science Fiction in general; but that doesn't make for an enjoyable experience. If I jump in a swimming pool, I don't want to spend more than an hour doing that because there's other things I'd like to do during that day.

I just hope there's a good balance between the things you "can" do and the things you are "required" to do.

Top Bottom